Friday, November 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:27 pm Had both cities instantly in Final. I'll never forgot a great anecdote my high school math teacher told my class once about his trip to the Montreal games -- he goes to watch one of the events but he can't see because a giant guy sat down in front of him. As it turned out, the guy was Wilt Chamberlain. :lol:

Sad to see Mary Ann go. Given that the show has already announced a Teachers Tourney for May, it seems the next ToC might be bumped until next November. A 4x champ in 11th place on the ToC tracker seems unlikely to hold up for a whole year. I honestly thought Mary Ann could have been a gold tier player and a contender to win. :cry:
J! should run the TOC in September (the Hades with sweeps). The powers have to be aware Rachel Lindgren is the only woman to qualify so far and today's loss may have cost Mary Ann a spot. Other options are to invite the Teen Tournament winner and/or nudge the Teachers Tournament toward a woman winner.

Or things take their course and the TOC is in November even if the divide could be 14M & 1F. Beryl Arbit faced that in TOC #2.

Those who thought the TOC following Buzzy/Alan/Austin could be in November 2018 or February 2018 were living in dreamland as that was not likely gonna happen.

The TOC could piggyback the TT in May although I suspect the ado about All-Stars is taking up enough extra planning time. It seems like the every other season and every other year pattern is not going away no matter how much others would like the old days of November & November & November written in stone for many years.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Plight, 1775, Charleston, Richard Byrd, Seal, Sami

Knew Yacht just from Eclipse.

Missed a couple of Words, a couple of Daytime Emmy's, the Colorado Governor, Dog Day Afternoon, and Hangar Bay.
Douglas Squasoni
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:40 pm
threearruda wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:27 pm Sad to see Mary Ann go. Given that the show has already announced a Teachers Tourney for May, it seems the next ToC might be bumped until next November. A 4x champ in 11th place on the ToC tracker seems unlikely to hold up for a whole year. I honestly thought Mary Ann could have been a gold tier player and a contender to win. :cry:
J! should run the TOC in September (the Hades with sweeps). The powers have to be aware Rachel Lindgren is the only woman to qualify so far and today's loss may have cost Mary Ann a spot. Other options are to invite the Teen Tournament winner and/or nudge the Teachers Tournament toward a woman winner.

Or things take their course and the TOC is in November even if the divide could be 14M & 1F. Beryl Arbit faced that in TOC #2.

Those who thought the TOC following Buzzy/Alan/Austin could be in November 2018 or February 2018 were living in dreamland as that was not likely gonna happen.

The TOC could piggyback the TT in May although I suspect the ado about All-Stars is taking up enough extra planning time. It seems like the every other season and every other year pattern is not going away no matter how much others would like the old days of November & November & November written in stone for many years.
With the special season, it would be awesome to see both All-Stars and a ToC, but I'm skeptical the show is willing to dish out quite that much money in a short time unless it's for charity of some kind.

If there's any hope for Mary Ann, Alex did seem impressed by her and a few recent Twitter posts from the show mentioned her lock wins. A ToC could always come sooner if the show likes her enough or if they want more female champs, as you mentioned. Or perhaps there are multiple 5x female champs whose shows have yet to air! I personally would not like to see a 14 M/1 F or 13/2 spread like the '17 ToC had.

For the bolded part, I started thinking the same thing around August-September '17; I think you've hit the nail on the head. A lot of this, I would imagine, has to do with how slowly the fields have been filling up the last two ToC cycles. Beyond that, though, the schedule for the last ~four seasons (Nov. - ToC/Teen --- Feb. - College (All-Star) ---- May. - Teacher) means there is some continuity, a positive for producers and perhaps for semi-regular viewers. Not my preference either, but it's rather straight forward. More power to the producers if that's what they want.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:38 pm If we start from the position that on a Venn diagram, "nation" would intersect with but would not be entirely contained within "sovereign state" (an understanding that is indeed quite essential for making sense of modern European history), I know several people who would dispute the claim that Montreal is not a national capital.
How so? What do they think Montreal is the capital of?
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:24 pm
Euphonium wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:38 pm If we start from the position that on a Venn diagram, "nation" would intersect with but would not be entirely contained within "sovereign state" (an understanding that is indeed quite essential for making sense of modern European history), I know several people who would dispute the claim that Montreal is not a national capital.
How so? What is Montreal the capital of?
That's what I was wondering.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

mfc248 wrote:
Leander wrote: No J! In NY due to football.
Same here in Philly, although the two affiliates handled the situation differently. WABC intended to join Jeopardy! in progress; WPVI, realizing ahead of time that it was unrealistic that the game would end by 7 pm (even in regulation), moved it to after Nightline at 1:05 am, with local news intending to fill any gap between the end of football and 7:30. As it happened, with Virginia-Virginia Tech going to overtime and the coverage running to 7:35, they ran a newscast until 8; I'm guessing they'll slot Wheel in at 1:35.
I turned it to J! at 7:28 to find there was a football game on that no one outside of the state of Virginia cared about. Then the game ended at 7:30, yee haw. WMTW decided to fill out the time with commercials until they rejoined for the interview segment.

Poor Mary Ann. She had some uncharacteristic wrong answers, but I don't know if it would have been enough to have given her the runnaway if she'd stayed clam. J's suicide wager in FJ showed she would have needed a lock to win.

I hated the clue about the aircraft carrier hanger deck. It was so wordy and distracting, I can understand how Jennifer got confused on what they were asking for.

First round, last category: it sounded like Alex had to re-record the top clue.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:18 pmI still love you, Mary Ann, even though you guessed penguins for the ON TOP OF THE WORLD category. Couldn't be farther off without leaving the planet.
https://www.theonion.com/idaville-detec ... 1819567098

So the winner played as "J"? I wonder if they'd have let him play as "J!". Or if he employed the Ralph Malph trick of bending all those postcards he sent.
I'm smart and I want respect.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Poor Mary Ann. We should see her in the TOC next year.

For Final, I knew Montreal was one, then got Munich at the very last second.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bigblue999 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:48 am Poor Mary Ann. We should see her in the TOC next year.

For Final, I knew Montreal was one, then got Munich at the very last second.
I think Mary Ann is TOC quality and would have no problem if she is included in the next TOC field. What I go by is recent history though.

2018 to conclude S34 gave us these players better than 4x & $86,500:

Gilbert Collins - January
Rachel Lindgren - January
Ryan Fenster - January, February & back in July
Rob Worman - February
College Dhruv Gaur - April
Teacher Larry Martin - May
Josh Hill - May

That is 7 players. Four players in December 2018 - July 2019 (8 months) that go past 4 wins and $86.5K would put Mary Ann at the 15th slot. She is currently 11th with 10 players ahead of her. (Gilbert, Rachel, Ryan, Rob, Dhruv, Larry, Josh, Kyle Jones, Alex & Alan)

After the Teachers Tournament in May she will drop a spot no matter what.

There is no expectation the TOC is happening in February 2019 or in May 2019. If it did happen in May it would only be because a bunch of players won 5 games or more, still eliminating Mary Ann.

For Mary Ann to make the TOC two things would help her odds. One a TOC closer to Sept. 2019 than Nov. 2019 and a long-running super champ to eat up games.

Yes, a carousel of champs could occur with not enough contestants winning big. It would be a long stretch of months to not have four more big champs.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

trebek thought that was a tough one? was an instaget
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Leander wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:09 pm No J! In NY due to football.

I was living in Montreal in 1976, so that was easy. My recollection of Munich was jogged by watching part of The Little Drummer Girl on cable this week, in which the Munich massacre was referenced. Moscow was the one that didn’t immediately come to me, probably because of the US boycott.
wasn't on here either...but was due to ncaa basketball...had to watch it on youtube
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought of Melbourne and Munich right away, but I knew the former was 1956 and the latter was 1972, too far apart to fit the "four consecutive" stipulation. I thought of Mexico City not as a potential answer, but as the previous host to Munich to reassure me that it was the right tree to bark up and Melbourne was the one to be replaced. My mind froze when trying to come up with hosts before '68 (besides Rome '60) and after '72 (and before my birth), but I felt comfortably certain that Montreal hosted the Olympics at some point, and knew it wasn't a national capital. That's a "whew" sort of solve for me.

An excellent FJ wager by Jennifer, undone by Mary Ann's low-confidence bet. Too bad Jennifer missed it, since Mary Ann bet just enough to lose to Jennifer's bet if Jennifer got it right.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Melbourne was my second guess along with Montreal. Did I know Montreal as a fact? No. I just tried to think of non-capitals that started with M and if I believed they've hosted Olympics before.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Mary Ann was in third after the J! Round, and it was like she said to herself, "No way!" and really kicked in the afterburners. Alas, that FJ did her in. It did me in as well. That ended of streak of something like 5 or 6 weeks with 0 or 1 wrong FJ for me.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Euphonium wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:38 pm I know several people who would dispute the claim that Montreal is not a national capital.
Montreal is as much a capital of anything as Vancouver or Calgary are.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:31 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:18 pmI still love you, Mary Ann, even though you guessed penguins for the ON TOP OF THE WORLD category. Couldn't be farther off without leaving the planet.
https://www.theonion.com/idaville-detec ... 1819567098
:lol:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This was another FJ! for which I was helped by my age and experiences. The first Olympics I vaguely remember were Grenoble and Mexico City in 1968, and I was actively interested in Sapporo/Munich and Innsbruck/Montreal. Also, I had a summer internship in Burlington, VT in the summer of 1981 (which was jokingly called the People's Republic of Burlington, with none other than Bernie Sanders as mayor) from which a friend and I took a weekend trip to Quebec City and Montreal. The trip to Montreal included a tour of Olympic Stadium. Side note: our tour was just after the MLB strike had been settled but before games had resumed, so we saw the Expos doing workouts.

Some cursory checking indicates that runs of five or more games are more likely to end on Friday or Thursday; not surprising, based on stamina considerations. (This is very pronounced lately: Alan Dunn lost on a Friday, Kyle Jones lost on a Friday, both of Ryan Fenster's losses came on Friday, Josh Hill lost on a Friday, and Rachel Lindgren lost on a Friday. Rob Worman and Austin Rogers lost on Thursday and Gilbert Collins lost on Wednesday.) So perhaps Mary Ann would have been more likely to be a 5-game champion if she had not started on a Monday.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Montreal and Melbourne here. There was no way I was going to remember what years they were, I'm happy enough being able to remember two non-capital M-named Olympic cities, period :D.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

J! really needs to find another affiliate in Denver. Preempted for college hoops. FJ was easy peasy.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:23 pm J! really needs to find another affiliate in Denver. Preempted for college hoops. FJ was easy peasy.
Had the same issue with DTV and over-the-air broadcasting, discovered that on Comcast (Xfinity), channel 8 provides the show from Cheyenne at 6:30. Standard def, not HDTV.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.