Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE NFL

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For the 2018 draft this team tried to use a parrot to make a pick; the bird got stage fright

Dave Leffler: 18400+1400=19800 (2x = $53,601)
Alexander Schwab: 7400+1500=8900
Tiffany Brooks: 2400-2400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Yes, Bucs are fine as well.) (Tiffany – Browns)

Daily Doubles
Dave: 600+1000
Alexander: minus 600+2000
Alexander: 4200+2000

Coryats
Dave: 18400
Alexander: 6200
Tiffany: 2400

Combined: 27,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 9600
Alexander: minus 1000
Tiffany: minus 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was an ugly scoreboard for the challengers going into the first two commercial breaks with Dave leading: 7200 to minus 2000 to minus 1800 and then 9600 to minus 1000 to minus 1600

The DJ! round improved for Dave’s opponents as they erased the reds.

The FJ! clue was a no huddle snap for processing and writing to be done before the music. I was prepared to do a 32-team speed round in 30 seconds if necessary as I spent the break making sure I could instantly recall the teams in their 4-team division blocks. Nope, not necessary.

Did anyone take a music shortcut for the FJ! clue with “parrot” to “Parrothead” to Buffett to FL? That was the kind of thing in my head to entertain myself during think time.

If on the stage, the instruction to write “Who” would have thrown me as I would have instead played QB brainstorm thinking of all of the slingers with big stats.

Dave is no Frank S. as he did not know the Wasserstein play. I liked Dave's wager call for DD1, "The maximum, please."

I wonder if Tiffany got the Monday FJ! clue since it matched her last name?
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:07 pm The FJ! clue was a no huddle snap for processing and writing to be done before the music. I was prepared to do a 32-team speed round in 30 seconds if necessary as I spent the break making sure I could instantly recall the teams in their 4-team division blocks. Nope, not necessary.
I got it down quickly to "pirate team" ... and then wondered seriously if it's something the Raiders might do with their pirate aesthetic.

Then figured that said team in black and white has other less colorful historical gimmicks (unless you count black and blue).
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

acthomas wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:07 pm The FJ! clue was a no huddle snap for processing and writing to be done before the music. I was prepared to do a 32-team speed round in 30 seconds if necessary as I spent the break making sure I could instantly recall the teams in their 4-team division blocks. Nope, not necessary.
I got it down quickly to "pirate team" ... and then wondered seriously if it's something the Raiders might do with their pirate aesthetic.

Then figured that said team in black and white has other less colorful historical gimmicks (unless you count black and blue).
Yet, said team has plenty of gimmicks as it is.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

acthomas wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm

The Buccaneers are the fun, swashbuckling pirates; the Raiders are gritty TV reboot space pirates.
clprez

Post by clprez »

TIL all thoroughbred horses in the northern hemisphere have a birthday of January 1st.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Hank" is a nickname for Henry? How?!

NHO "This Week". Can we poll it?

All but "geisha" in Crossword Clues G. Weird for a $200 box to be my only NHOI.

I found the DJ! board extremely impenetrable.

"Miss You Much" / Janet Jackson and the clock ensured that I wouldn't run the Songwriting category.

Lach Trash: Early Start, Power Lunch, Kesha, Bruno Mars

Hmm, some avian team? Can't think of one offhand. Pirate angle? No, the Pirates are baseball, and I can't for the life of me match pirates to an NFL team.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Got excited for a half second upon FJ category reveal until I realized the likelihood of wordplay or some other pun, like usual. Looks as if I was half-right. Instaget though, so no need to complain any further. :D

Another solid showing from Dave, congrats on win #2.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

When "Female Playwrights" came up I knew we were getting a Wendy Wasserstein clue. The only question was whether or not it would involve The Heidi Chronicles.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

"Tonight's first segment of Jeopardy!, sponsored by Windex..."
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I thought that "Wit" clue was quite negbaity.

Obviously an instaget on FJ.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Had a feeling it would have something to do with a team name or symbol. Instaget.

Too bad Frank, I mean Dave, left over $2,000 on the table.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 pm I thought that "Wit" clue was quite negbaity.
Specifically negbaity for Dave's wrong response of Alzheimer's? That was definitely a good guess. I'm not sure if it rises to the level of negbait. But I've seen the film version of Wit with Emma Thompson. (We dated briefly. Long story.) So I knew the correct response and wasn't in a position to be baited. I did wonder whether they would have accepted just "cancer". It's possible Tiffany torpedoed herself with over-specificity. I definitely would have started with "What is cancer?" since I was only 90% on the ovarian part.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

When did this tape? Did last week's games tape only the day before with Alexander in the audience?
Spoiler
Because last week we were supposed to associate Wyatt Earp (or an event he was involved in) with Tombstone. And two contestants went for Dodge City. So this time around Alexander rings in with a confident Tombstone only to be told it's Dodge City.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

NFL + parrot = WECIB. 8-)
Remember the old orange and cream uniforms? They did not inspire fear in their opponents. Laughter, maybe...
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 pm I thought that "Wit" clue was quite negbaity.
I assume they were just looking for cancer. Tiffany sabotaged herself there. I know the play (and there was an HBO movie version), still I might have said breast cancer too if forced. But I never would have thought it was necessary.
FJ was pretty easy even if you don't follow the NFL. I do know the team names...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:50 pm When did this tape? Did last week's games tape only the day before with Alexander in the audience?
Spoiler
Because last week we were supposed to associate Wyatt Earp (or an event he was involved in) with Tombstone. And two contestants went for Dodge City. So this time around Alexander rings in with a confident Tombstone only to be told it's Dodge City.
I noticed that, too. By my reckoning, 11/30 ended an even number of taping weeks, so I think the returning champion from 11/30 to 12/3 is the only one who would have seen last week's games.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:45 pm
Specifically negbaity for Dave's wrong response of Alzheimer's? That was definitely a good guess. I'm not sure if it rises to the level of negbait. But I've seen the film version of Wit with Emma Thompson. (We dated briefly. Long story.) So I knew the correct response and wasn't in a position to be baited. I did wonder whether they would have accepted just "cancer". It's possible Tiffany torpedoed herself with over-specificity. I definitely would have started with "What is cancer?" since I was only 90% on the ovarian part.
90% is pretty good. I'm pretty sure you didn't need it...It's true that Wit would have been an on-the-nose title for an Alzheimer's play...
Interesting thing about Margaret Edson...She had never and has not since written another play. She's an elementary school teacher.