Wednesday, December 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:20 pm I wonder how success on this FJ breaks down by age? I can tell you that I had never heard of the Zapruder film growing up; I never studied JFK in school or anything, and when I would talk about the assassination with my parents, his name never came up. It is one of those things that may be etched in your mind more if you *lived through all that*...

As it was, I got to the right answer, but only after getting hung up on Elian Gonzalez for a while first. I imagined that the images of the raid were traumatic enough that somebody was ordered to pay damages, or something. I could see that happening, but it's quite a stretch for an FJ clue in that category and you have to squint to make the pieces fit (and the dates are a bit off).

I wonder how he's doing...

No fan of the DJ categories today. I guess I'll have to suck it up and learn some more about archaeology! :mrgreen:
i only learned of zapruder within the last 10 years...and it was due to playing trivia games
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 pm
Saturnalia wrote: I wonder how success on this FJ breaks down by age? I can tell you that I had never heard of the Zapruder film growing up; I never studied JFK in school or anything, and when I would talk about the assassination with my parents, his name never came up. It is one of those things that may be etched in your mind more if you *lived through all that*...
I was thinking about the same thing myself. I feel it was very 'generational'. Baby boomers should scoop this clue up handily, but Gen Xers are going to have it a little tough unless they happen to be history geeks. Millennials are in the TPH league on this one.
or they are have played trivia games and events, encountered it at sometime through that means, and retained the information
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:15 am
Saturnalia wrote: I wonder how success on this FJ breaks down by age? I can tell you that I had never heard of the Zapruder film growing up; I never studied JFK in school or anything, and when I would talk about the assassination with my parents, his name never came up. It is one of those things that may be etched in your mind more if you *lived through all that*...
I was thinking about the same thing myself. I feel it was very 'generational'. Baby boomers should scoop this clue up handily, but Gen Xers are going to have it a little tough unless they happen to be history geeks. Millennials are in the TPH league on this one.
I think it's probably pretty easy for Gen Xers, most of us having seen Oliver Stone's JFK. I haven't seen it since it came out, but I'm presuming the Zapruder film was mentioned by name.
If you're old enough for Jeopardy! and haven't seen JFK or at least one documentary on the Kennedy assassination...what's wrong with you...??... :roll:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 am
I think it's probably pretty easy for Gen Xers, most of us having seen Oliver Stone's JFK. I haven't seen it since it came out, but I'm presuming the Zapruder film was mentioned by name.
If you're old enough for Jeopardy! and haven't seen JFK or at least one documentary on the Kennedy assassination...what's wrong with you...??... :roll:

have never seen the movie jfk nor have i seen a documentary on the subject
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 am

...but you didn't answer my question!... ;)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 am

...but you didn't answer my question!... ;)

imo...nothing...just doesn't interest me
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:20 pm I wonder how success on this FJ breaks down by age? I can tell you that I had never heard of the Zapruder film growing up; I never studied JFK in school or anything, and when I would talk about the assassination with my parents, his name never came up. It is one of those things that may be etched in your mind more if you *lived through all that*...

As it was, I got to the right answer, but only after getting hung up on Elian Gonzalez for a while first. I imagined that the images of the raid were traumatic enough that somebody was ordered to pay damages, or something. I could see that happening, but it's quite a stretch for an FJ clue in that category and you have to squint to make the pieces fit (and the dates are a bit off).

If you went to school in the US, I'm not sure how you can say that you never studied JFK in school. And, even if it was glossed over, the existence of a controversy about how JFK was killed is pretty hard to ignore since it gets brought up every single year on the anniversary of the shooting. It's been referenced in any number of movies because of the cultural significance of the assassination as a kind of break from the America of the 50s and early 60s and the rest of that decade. Etc.

There was an old SNL skit about people who were surprised to find out about commonly known events and the punchline was to compare those events to the Kennedy assassination and someone blurts out, "The President has been shot???" I guess we're accepting that people born a few decades after the event somehow managed to be completely in the dark about that chapter in US history? :roll:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:09 am

If you went to school in the US, I'm not sure how you can say that you never studied JFK in school. And, even if it was glossed over, the existence of a controversy about how JFK was killed is pretty hard to ignore since it gets brought up every single year on the anniversary of the shooting. It's been referenced in any number of movies because of the cultural significance of the assassination as a kind of break from the America of the 50s and early 60s and the rest of that decade. Etc.

There was an old SNL skit about people who were surprised to find out about commonly known events and the punchline was to compare those events to the Kennedy assassination and someone blurts out, "The President has been shot???" I guess we're accepting that people born a few decades after the event somehow managed to be completely in the dark about that chapter in US history? :roll:
This opinion/comment is tangential, but consider yourself lucky if you never wasted brain cells on any of the conspiracy theory lunacy. Most of it made you dumber (same with 9/11 truthers, etc..). Zapruder might deserve mention as foreshadowing the ubiquitous video camera era we live in which has been a very positive thing. You heard about angels, aliens, Bigfoot, or ghosts lately? At least not as much.
Now we can focus on the Illuminati and the New World Order, lol..
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:27 am You heard about angels, aliens, Bigfoot, or ghosts lately? At least not as much.
And what about the Bermuda Triangle?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:27 am

This opinion/comment is tangential, but consider yourself lucky if you never wasted brain cells on any of the conspiracy theory lunacy. Most of it made you dumber (same with 9/11 truthers, etc..). Zapruder might deserve mention as foreshadowing the ubiquitous video camera era we live in which has been a very positive thing. You heard about angels, aliens, Bigfoot, or ghosts lately? At least not as much.
Now we can focus on the Illuminati and the New World Order, lol..
Except that the facts were odd enough that it was a topic of serious debate that prompted a blue-ribbon panel to investigate, but even that didn't satisfy everyone and it was still being debated for at least the next 20-30 years. At some point, people simply lost interest. But, I don't know if that it qualifies as the same kind of loony theories as about 9/11, for example. (Woody Allen spoofed it all pretty brilliantly in Annie Hall - a multiple Oscar winner for anyone studying up on that category!). ;)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Not a great game for me, but boy does the champ look strong. He would have gotten my rooting interest even before he came up with the excellent get about the Katzenjammer kids.

I brain-farted on the DD on "Lord of the Dance." Probably would have gotten it if I had thought only about Flatley and not tried to fit Nureyev into the info given. Don't think I ever heard Rudolph N. referred to that way.

FWIW the only LT I picked up in the entire game was the absolutely last clue about Ebenezer Baptist Church and the Atlanta Olympics.

And of course for the old guy, Abraham Zapruder was a no-doubt-about-it.

Now let's see if Dave tops $100K tonight.
davey

Post by davey »

A friend of mine - not a J! watcher, and not a "trivia" person though a smart guy - says that In 1999 is deliberately misleading and should have been left out. This despite the fact that he got it, and within :30 I believe. I think he's just being a curmudgeon, but any response?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

47 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cuba, Manhattan, Burn Rate, (Jack London), Atlanta
Douglas Squasoni
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:21 pm A friend of mine - not a J! watcher, and not a "trivia" person though a smart guy - says that In 1999 is deliberately misleading and should have been left out. This despite the fact that he got it, and within :30 I believe. I think he's just being a curmudgeon, but any response?
1999 wasn't particularly relevant but it does narrow it down somewhat by eliminating the past 19 years. They could have also left out 1999 and said that the film was shot in 1963. But there's making the clue easy and then there is practically answering it for the contestants.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Things are different in Portland. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Or maybe I just had unusual luck with teachers.

11th-grade US History was very heavy on the (1890-1920) golden age of progressivism in the US, and everything after 1950 was glossed over or not brought up at all. In many cases, that's how my social-studies and humanities education was: heavy on material that was considered relevant to a certain set of political/moral concerns; light on everything else. (Not trying to start a political argument or anything, but that certainly has a lot to do with why I never studied JFK.)

Anyway, sure, I always heard about conspiracy theories, but somehow the relevance of the videotape to those theories never came up. I avoided Oliver Stone movies for a long time, because honestly, the first time I ever heard of the guy was in a rock memoir by the Doors' keyboardist, who ranted several times therein about what an awful guy and filmmaker Stone was.

It was only later, when I got more interested in the politics of that era (Caro's LBJ books had a lot to do with it) that I realized Zapruder was a thing. Also, in Popular Crime Bill James discusses his preferred account of what happened (the second-shot-was-actually-fired-by-Agent-Hickey theory) and analyzes the Zapruder tape briefly but memorably.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Great game, tough break for Brian but the big DD bet was the right call.

College sophomore here, and didn't get Zapruder either. Must have heard the name somewhere but that's not something I would have pulled in 30 seconds, at least right now. Maybe it will stick this time, though.
Saturnalia wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:56 pm
11th-grade US History was very heavy on the (1890-1920) golden age of progressivism in the US, and everything after 1950 was glossed over or not brought up at all. In many cases, that's how my social-studies and humanities education was: heavy on material that was considered relevant to a certain set of political/moral concerns; light on everything else. (Not trying to start a political argument or anything, but that certainly has a lot to do with why I never studied JFK.)
My APUSH class a couple years ago focused a lot on that era of progressivism as well. We did a lot of work with the 18-19th century and I seem to recall briefly getting to Watergate but nothing later. Like your class, heavy detail stopped somewhere around the Cold War; maybe we just ran out of time before the AP Test or something.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:21 pm
davey wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:21 pm A friend of mine - not a J! watcher, and not a "trivia" person though a smart guy - says that In 1999 is deliberately misleading and should have been left out. This despite the fact that he got it, and within :30 I believe. I think he's just being a curmudgeon, but any response?
1999 wasn't particularly relevant but it does narrow it down somewhat by eliminating the past 19 years. They could have also left out 1999 and said that the film was shot in 1963. But there's making the clue easy and then there is practically answering it for the contestants.
Thanks - that closely mirrors my conversation with this fellow. I think he just doesn't have a Jeopardy! mind....
billiej

Post by billiej »

davey wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:57 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:21 pm
Thanks - that closely mirrors my conversation with this fellow. I think he just doesn't have a Jeopardy! mind....
I found 1999 neither distracting nor helpful. American History + US Government + 30 second film was plenty to get to the answer almost immediately.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:39 pm I'm usually excited to learn new things but tonight I learned the correct pronunciation of "Quixotic" and continued ignorance would be preferred.
I was [very mildly] surprised that Alex didn't take the pedantism opportunity to say, "We were looking for 'key-HOTE-tic" but we'll accept that."

Had an 11th-grade English teacher who not only would not have accepted "kwix-ott-ic" but would have spent the rest of the show making fun of the contestant. Of course, high school teachers were allowed to emotionally bully students back then.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

You can color me confused. I'm at the tail end of the baby boom. I'm familiar with the JFK assassination, the investigations, the conspiracy theories. If you asked me point blank who shot the famous footage of the event, I could answer Zapruder. (At worst, I'd be tongue tied on names starting with Z.)

But I just don't see the connection between the clue and the answer. How do you connect them without knowing about some court case apparently from 1999? Usually there are multiple ways to tease out an answer, but I don't see a way without knowing about this dispute between the government and the Zapruder family. I'd argue that knowing about JFK's assassination is incidental to knowing about the dispute.

I'll admit that I started down the same path as TPH - trying to think of actors who may have done some cameo or commercial, or filmmakers who had a historical movie scene put to another use for the government. I wasn't thinking about physical pieces of film.

So what made it so easy for those who got it right?
--Peter