Monday, December 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, December 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:00 am I just had no idea what to even guess. There are like, four trillion countries in Africa and I see no way to noodle your way through this in 30 seconds unless you're inhumanly fast.
They did say Italian East Africa, which narrows it down to East African countries that had an Italian presence into WWII, which I think is approximately 1.
I never would've guessed that Italy ever did anything in Africa.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:00 am I just had no idea what to even guess. There are like, four trillion countries in Africa and I see no way to noodle your way through this in 30 seconds unless you're inhumanly fast.
They did say Italian East Africa, which narrows it down to East African countries that had an Italian presence into WWII, which is pretty close to 1.
That was the best hint, but even not knowing that fact there aren't really that many countries in East Africa to go through.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:11 am
They did say Italian East Africa, which narrows it down to East African countries that had an Italian presence into WWII, which I think is approximately 1.
I never would've guessed that Italy ever did anything in Africa.
Luckily the clue told you that they did by naming the place.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:12 am Luckily the clue told you that they did by naming the place.
Which still doesn't narrow things down any if you have no clue where exactly in Africa the country of Ethiopia is located. You're lucky I knew Addis Ababa = Ethiopia.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:18 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:12 am Luckily the clue told you that they did by naming the place.
Which still doesn't narrow things down any if you have no clue where exactly in Africa the country of Ethiopia is located. You're lucky I knew Addis Ababa = Ethiopia.
Well, then, now you're not complaining about the clue casting a too-wide net; you're just complaining that you didn't know enough to solve it.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

We're all so very lucky.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

how many 2 word african capitals are there? i believe there are 3 others besides the answer to that final jeopardy clue
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:42 pm Don't recognize those first two Oscar movies, but I got the next two.

All but Thomas Aquinas, Nietzsche, and cancer in their categories.

How many more times are people going to add an S to "Julia Child"? Probably as many as think that there's an S at the end of "Revelation".

Beat = Ginsburg is another one of those mental connections that just won't stick for me. That should be a Hawley-Smoot name...

I knew Rolling Stones, Kenny G., and Henry Mancini, but blanked on all three. No way was I getting Lou Reed though.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: Morphine, Divine Comedy, Will Hays, Charlie Parker. Also got the aye-aye DD.
I got Braveheart and Slumdog Millionaire from the Oscars category. The rest I've heard of but couldn't come up with.

I surprisingly guessed Nietzsche right, but I would have butchered the pronunciation of his last name if I had to give it verbally. I got cancer right, too.

I got Julia Child right easily. Having to guess whether it had an S on the end or not was not an issue for me.

Ginsburg is a name I've known for a long time and I made that connection very quickly.

I know those three names as well but I couldn't come up with any of them. Lou Reed, I had the right person in mind but I couldn't remember his last name in time.

I also blanked on FJ. I know Addis Ababa but it didn't come to me.

It was a good game today. Liked watching it. I was rooting for Swetha by the end, but congrats to the new champ.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 am
how many 2 word african capitals are there? i believe there are 3 others besides the answer to that final jeopardy clue
São Tomé, Cape Town, and Port Louis?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 pm
davey wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:30 pm Addis Ababa was the last thing that went through my mind before the clue reveal, so I was in good shape when I saw it... :D
And it was the very first city that went through mine.
Same here. Addis Ababa was my first of three pre-calls. The second was Pyongyang which I quickly rejected as a false positive. The third was Phnom Penh which I then worried that I didn't know how to spell and that if I put an h in the wrong place I wouldn't just look ignorant, I'd be WRONG. So I made a mental note to learn how to spell it. Looking it up now, I see my best guess was correct.

So, yeah. When the clue appeared, I had the correct response immediately available. I spent my time checking the wording to make sure I wasn't misreading and that my pre-call really was correct.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 pm Francesco reminds me of Jose Canseco.
Ha! I immediately flashed on Weird Al in the I Lost on Jeopardy! video. Your comparison is more flattering and, as it turns out, more apt.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:31 pm Mancini was a cute bit of synchronicity; I watched Hatari! over the weekend.
I'll leave this here because it's such a great song:

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

And for you Pavlovians, beat + poet(ry) = Ginsberg. Every time. If you want to replace poet(ry) with novel(ist), your choices broaden to Burroughs or Kerouac (but NOT Ginsberg). Those three names constitute a complete list of Beat writers for Jeopardy! purposes. In fact, they constitute a complete list of the entire Beat Generation. And "Howl" (poem by Ginsberg), Naked Lunch (novel by Burroughs), and On the Road (novel by Kerouac) constitute an exhaustive list of their works.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am And for you Pavlovians, beat + poet(ry) = Ginsberg. Every time. If you want to replace poet(ry) with novel(ist), your choices broaden to Burroughs or Kerouac (but NOT Ginsberg). Those three names constitute a complete list of Beat writers for Jeopardy! purposes. In fact, they constitute a complete list of the entire Beat Generation. And "Howl" (poem by Ginsberg), Naked Lunch (novel by Burroughs), and On the Road (novel by Kerouac) constitute an exhaustive list of their works.

#7811, aired 2018-07-23 BEFORE & AFTER PEOPLE $2000: Star of the "Hunger Games" films who wrote Beat poetry & founded City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco
#7735, aired 2018-04-06 SAN CITY, CALIFORNIA $600: In 1953 Beat poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti founded City Lights bookstore in this city
#3938, aired 2001-10-17 LAWRENCE $1000: This beat poet penned "A Coney Island of the Mind"
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am And for you Pavlovians, beat + poet(ry) = Ginsberg. Every time. If you want to replace poet(ry) with novel(ist), your choices broaden to Burroughs or Kerouac (but NOT Ginsberg). Those three names constitute a complete list of Beat writers for Jeopardy! purposes. In fact, they constitute a complete list of the entire Beat Generation. And "Howl" (poem by Ginsberg), Naked Lunch (novel by Burroughs), and On the Road (novel by Kerouac) constitute an exhaustive list of their works.

#7811, aired 2018-07-23 BEFORE & AFTER PEOPLE $2000: Star of the "Hunger Games" films who wrote Beat poetry & founded City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco
#7735, aired 2018-04-06 SAN CITY, CALIFORNIA $600: In 1953 Beat poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti founded City Lights bookstore in this city
#3938, aired 2001-10-17 LAWRENCE $1000: This beat poet penned "A Coney Island of the Mind"
Ferlinghetti was also a Final Jeopardy in 2004, without the "Lawrence" TOM in 2 of the clues above. Two of the players got it right! The other guessed Ginsberg...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 am

Ok, EXCEPT for when it's not.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:14 am Same here. Addis Ababa was my first of three pre-calls. The second was Pyongyang which I quickly rejected as a false positive. The third was Phnom Penh which I then worried that I didn't know how to spell and that if I put an h in the wrong place I wouldn't just look ignorant, I'd be WRONG. So I made a mental note to learn how to spell it. Looking it up now, I see my best guess was correct.
I just hit a mental brick wall and literally could not think of a single two-word capital to save my life. It's like my brain just stops working every time the FJ! music starts, and I can't get it to budge.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am And for you Pavlovians, beat + poet(ry) = Ginsberg.
Just like Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune, or which of Romeo and Juliet is Montague or Capulet, or which of AK/HI was the last state to join the union... I have seen these facts about a billion times and they WILL. NOT. STICK.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:11 am or which of AK/HI was the last state to join the union...
I always just think of the TV show "Hawaii Five-O."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:11 am or which of AK/HI was the last state to join the union...
I always just think of the TV show "Hawaii Five-O."
Not the first time that mnemonic's been pointed out to me either...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:48 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 am
São Tomé, Cape Town, and Port Louis?
cape town isn't the national capital of south africa...turns out 2 others...i have never seen porto-novo in print...didn't realise it was a hyphenated word and not 2 words