Thursday, December 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the preface to a book of his stories, he thanks a herpetologist of Upper India & an elephant named Bahadur Shah

Elana Schor: 10800+10800=21600
Faris Alikhan: 17200+5500=22700 (New Champ)
Mary Kate Moriarty: minus 400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rudyard Kipling

Daily Doubles
Faris: 3200-3200
Faris: 9200+2000
Mary Kate: 800-800

Coryats
Elana: 10800
Faris: 20400
Mary Kate: 400

Combined: 31,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Elana: 4000
Faris: 3200
Mary Kate: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another two right by the players on the FJ! clue although the hard way this time with Mary Kate not participating.

I knew there was no way it would be a 61-clue game when I wrote the categories and noticed how many long-worded ones there were in the game. Too many, writers. Shorten your work, please.

The FJ! category narrowed the century and the country area in the clue seemed to pinpoint the guy to guess. Not that I would have considered Lewis Carroll anyway, but I play the J!6 before the game to get the categories ahead of time and he was in the RIPPER one.

With nothing better to do I tried to think of any possible wrong guess that a contestant or board members could have and I only had Edgar Rice Burroughs. After time was up and for laughs I thought of Lemony Snicket in recalling the word “herpetologist” in one of his books.

Faris had ample cushion for his lead even after he lost the farm on DD1. He was a little more cautious on DD2 with just the standard 2K.

The champ carousel is spinning as Elana’s chance to put the brakes on was to find DD3 and go big again. She will have to visit to let us know if she would have known the author suspect or not. A find by her around the time of DD2 would probably not have mattered as the game was closer at that time.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

19th century authors is a bad category title for this final: Kipling was 35 in 1900, and a lot of his work was written in the 20th century. If you know the answer, it probably won't throw you off, but it still seems odd.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

boson wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:50 pm 19th century authors is a bad category title for this final: Kipling was 35 in 1900, and a lot of his work was written in the 20th century. If you know the answer, it probably won't throw you off, but it still seems odd.
I agree. It was an instaget but I spent the rest of the time wondering about the dates and if the clue wasn't as blindingly simple as it seemed.

"World Authors" might have been a better category title. It may not square up completely, but it's a bit like calling J.K. Rowling a 20th century author.

And yet they did the same thing on the final DD clue.

Or maybe there's some convention that dictates going with the earlier century when an author spans two of them?
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:59 pm The FJ! category narrowed the century and the country area in the clue seemed to pinpoint the guy to guess. Not that I would have considered Lewis Carroll anyway, but I play the J!6 before the game to get the categories ahead of time and he was in the RIPPER one.

With nothing better to do I tried to think of any possible wrong guess that a contestant or board members could have and I only had Edgar Rice Burroughs. After time was up and for laughs I thought of Lemony Snicket in recalling the word “herpetologist” in one of his books.
Playing off Clue of the Day, my first thought off "herpetologist" was Doyle, whom I would have ruled out after he came up during DJ! The rest of the clue led to the correct answer, thankfully.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

boson wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:50 pm 19th century authors is a bad category title for this final: Kipling was 35 in 1900, and a lot of his work was written in the 20th century. If you know the answer, it probably won't throw you off, but it still seems odd.
I assume the preface quoted was from Jungle Book, which is 19th century. I was also surprised they chose to label the category so, but I think it's too much to expect that all straddlers be off consideration from century categories. Of course, it did help that everything else about the clue points so plainly to Kipling.

Edit--on rereading, I can see Doyle as a guess, though it probably wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to solve a case involving elephants.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprised myself by running the TV category.

NHO "prizefight" as a noun, although I have heard "prizefighter".

The "lords" clue was so twisted that I couldn't figure out what they were asking for, even with the 12 Days of Christmas theme in mind, so I went all but $200 there.

Criminal law is a thing?

Snakes and elephants + 19th century author = ??????

Lach Trash: data
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Well, congrats to Faris but I do hope he'll get in the rhythm of the game for the next show. He kept pausing before calling for the next clue... by its full name. I was hoping we'd see that last Shakespeare opera clue so I could run the category, and with a little more zippiness in clue-calling, I think we would have. That aside, Faris turned in an impressive performance and earned his win.
Spoiler
On the other hand, I suspect Andy from yesterday would have eaten him alive.
Funny to see "prize fight" turn into a TS when the category spotted them "fight" and they just had to come up with a kind of boxing match that involves money for the winner.

Less funny to see a clue that was basically "the French word for hello" turn into two misses before Elana gets it right. Especially painful to see poor Mary Kate freeze up when she needed that clue to avoid the walk of shame. I really felt bad for her.

Kipling seemed obvious for FJ and I spent time brainstorming other possibilities with nothing coming to mind. The category pegging the century actually help a little bit. Without it I might have considered Orwell but almost certainly would have stuck with Kipling.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 pm Funny to see "prize fight" turn into a TS when the category spotted them "fight" and they just had to come up with a kind of boxing match that involves money for the winner.
I don't know about the others, but I've never encountered the word "prizefight" by itself, just "prizefighter". Maybe they had the same knowledge gap.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Lach Trash: prizefight; Daily Double: Greenland & Iceland

Instaget FJ.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Instaget FJ. Congrats to new champ.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm
I assume the preface quoted was from Jungle Book, which is 19th century. I was also surprised they chose to label the category so, but I think it's too much to expect that all straddlers be off consideration from century categories. Of course, it did help that everything else about the clue points so plainly to Kipling.

Edit--on rereading, I can see Doyle as a guess, though it probably wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to solve a case involving elephants.
Yes, it's from The Jungle Book.
http://www.telelib.com/authors/K/Kiplin ... eface.html
I suspect we were intended to go from India and animals to The Jungle Book and stop. The Conan Doyle reference in the DD distracted me more since Sherlock Holmes had a whole second act in the 20th C.
From discussion we've had here, "World Authors" would likely point to a writer in another language...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 pm Funny to see "prize fight" turn into a TS when the category spotted them "fight" and they just had to come up with a kind of boxing match that involves money for the winner.
I got flummoxed trying to think what they called the prize itself, like 'fight purse'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:55 pm
I got flummoxed trying to think what they called the prize itself, like 'fight purse'
I said purse fight and wasn't sure whether to give it to myself or not. I was leaning towards doing so.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:37 pm
Lefty wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Yes, it's from The Jungle Book.
http://www.telelib.com/authors/K/Kiplin ... eface.html
I suspect we were intended to go from India and animals to The Jungle Book and stop. The Conan Doyle reference in the DD distracted me more since Sherlock Holmes had a whole second act in the 20th C.
From discussion we've had here, "World Authors" would likely point to a writer in another language...
Good point about the flaw with "World Authors." Maybe they thought "British Authors" would narrow it down to much, but I still think there's a problem trying to pigeon hole authors in one century when they clearly wrote in two.
billiej

Post by billiej »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:53 am
Volante wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:55 pm
I said purse fight and wasn't sure whether to give it to myself or not. I was leaning towards doing so.
Let me know what you decide, so I can give myself credit with a clear conscience. :lol:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

FWIW I also got sidetracked thinking of "purse" instead of "prize" (-fighter). Ended up standing and staring, which is just as well. I've heard tittering over the notion that two heavyweight boxers would be brawling over a purse...and a belt. Not that I'd say it to their faces.... :roll:

Got only three TSs in this game, once again because I'm old enough to remember Queen Victoria's personal physician, the faux pas of the French royal court, and papyrus. OK, well, maybe not that old, but....

Too bad for Mary Kate. anyone who is knowledgeable enough to pass the J! contestant quiz deserves to make some kind of showing when they get to Culver City. I imagine buzzer timing had something to do with it.

Aaaaaannnddd...the one-and-done carousel continues. How m any in a row is that now?

I don't know enough of the details of Kipling's biography to have been thrown off by the "19th-Century" part of the clue. I can see where that could raise question marks if you knew he live a good portion of his life in the 20th. Otherwise I thought the clue was clever and well written: something no one would be likely to know but definitely gettable from the TOM.

Congrats to Faris on a good, solid win.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I also said "purse" for the boxing clue.