Alex retiring

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Alex retiring

Post by Vanya »

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Alex retiring

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

You forgot the question mark. The article is nothing but speculation.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

He stated just the opposite last week at the tapings.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:You forgot the question mark. The article is nothing but speculation.
I tend to believe he'll do 30 and step down. That and the champs who played Watson were Ken Jennings and Brad Butler. Dynamite fact-checking there, guys.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This isn't the first time I've seen him mention the 30, so, yeah, that number might be on his mind.

If he is going to go for 30 and then retire, he might have let TPTB know by now so that they don't have to rush to find a worthy replacement.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote: Dynamite fact-checking there, guys.
Maybe they borrowed Limbaugh's?
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

Any guesses on candidates for the new host of jeopardy? Or could jeopardy possibly end after Trebek leaves?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Cortana431 wrote:Any guesses on candidates for the new host of jeopardy? Or could jeopardy possibly end after Trebek leaves?
I'm positive Jeopardy! won't end when Trebek retires, a show like that ending is based on ratings, not the host. Look at how inexorably tied to The Price is Right Bob Barker was, and it's chugging along nicely post-Barker.

As to hosts, I've pointed out that Brad Rutter does/did work as a game show host ... ;) Also, I think Jeff Probst should at least make the short list as he a) has Jeopardy! hosting experience (Rock and Roll Jeopardy!), b) is younger, c) is a known celebrity. b) and c) should bring in younger viewers, which I think should be TPTB's main concern, as the age of the average Jeopardy! viewer is "deceased".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Paucle wrote:
econgator wrote: Dynamite fact-checking there, guys.
Maybe they borrowed Limbaugh's?
Ah nah he di'in.
dhkendall wrote:
I'm positive Jeopardy! won't end when Trebek retires, a show like that ending is based on ratings, not the host. Look at how inexorably tied to The Price is Right Bob Barker was, and it's chugging along nicely post-Barker.

As to hosts, I've pointed out that Brad Rutter does/did work as a game show host ... ;) Also, I think Jeff Probst should at least make the short list as he a) has Jeopardy! hosting experience (Rock and Roll Jeopardy!), b) is younger, c) is a known celebrity. b) and c) should bring in younger viewers, which I think should be TPTB's main concern, as the age of the average Jeopardy! viewer is "deceased".
Jennings doesn't have the voice nor the hosting background, but I still think he'd be a good fit and would draw in viewers. His name is very synonymous with the show and he has charisma akin to that of Alex. We all know Rutter's merits, but the dude is just, frankly, dull and a turn off to most people.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Le Master wrote:We all know Rutter's merits, but the dude is just, frankly, dull and a turn off to most people.
This.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Rutter's duller than Jennings?!? WTF?
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

WHen asked about retiring on today's Fox News Sunday(Chris Wallace's game airs on May 16th), he said he thinks about it, and some say he should put in 30, His response was to put in your 30 and then go help people.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

If Jennings is the next host I will not watch.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Johnblue wrote:Rutter's duller than Jennings?!? WTF?
I agree, though I highly doubt either of them will even be considered as the new host for the show.
alamble

Post by alamble »

If they could extract him from his contract with NY1 (unlikely, but possible) Pat Kiernan would be an excellent choice.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Agreed about Pat Kiernan.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alamble wrote:If they could extract him from his contract with NY1 (unlikely, but possible) Pat Kiernan would be an excellent choice.
Pat guest hosted with Kelly Ripa a couple of days last week, so he must be under consideration to replace Regis? I don't know what the people working for "Live" will do as none of different subs are quite right for the permanent gig. Most of the guys are very capable fill-ins, but I don't see them working out for five days a week.

Pat for J! gets my vote over Brad or Ken.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Didn't Kiernan already host a show that failed. I think probst is the best choice.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Pat hosted "World Series of Pop Culture" for its two seasons on VH1. I wouldn't say the show failed, per se, but it was just never a priority for VH1 it seemed.

I thought he did a great job hosting it.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I think Pat would be a great choice. The WSoPC was a sadly under-appreciated show, IMHO.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.