Tuesday, December 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:13 am No mention of the fact that Joan Jett was in The Runaways?
Given what is described on her Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Fox she probably would not care to discuss Joan Jett on the show.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm Got too caught up on "segment" and couldn't come up with anything that made any sense to me.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm I thought it was "walk a mile in your shoes", so "shoes" being in the clue threw me for a loop. NHO "...in your moccasins".
I've NHO moccasins either.
Same. I've only heard "walk a mile in one's shoes."

Embarrassing miss on FJ for me. Once the clue came up I sort of forgot the category and was thinking more along the lines of engineering achievements rather than landmarks. Given that Mount Rushmore is one of the most famous U.S. landmarks it really should have been in my mind before the clue even came up.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

harrumph wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:16 am
Euphonium wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:13 am No mention of the fact that Joan Jett was in The Runaways?
Given what is described on her Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Fox she probably would not care to discuss Joan Jett on the show.
Oh, wow...
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Aside from Jackie's current run (and celebrity games), has there ever been a better chance of a contestant herself being the response/subject of a clue in a game she was playing? The Runaways appear in the archive a few times (the clue on June 21, 2017 even named many of the band members, but not Jackie).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:23 pm Aside from Jackie's current run (and celebrity games), has there ever been a better chance of a contestant herself being the response/subject of a clue in a game she was playing? The Runaways appear in the archive a few times (the clue on June 21, 2017 even named many of the band members, but not Jackie).
There have been regular play writers/authors with enough notoriety to have been in a clue in the games they played.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm
I thought it was "walk a mile in your shoes", so "shoes" being in the clue threw me for a loop. NHO "...in your moccasins".
The correct quote is, "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes (or moccasins). At least then he's a mile away. And you have his shoes."
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

What a game! Ran the categories in Bodies of Water, clothes/idiom, and helicopters. Plus instaget FJ. In between, ironically, I couldn't remember "ginkgo biloba" in time. :roll:

Anne had what I thought was a nice get on "Sikorsky," but not enough like that to challenge for the lead. Then of course made almost the worst imaginable FJ wager, not that that cost her the game.

Congrats to Jackie for a nice third win and elevation to the Hall of Fame. Is the ToC next??
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:59 am
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm Got too caught up on "segment" and couldn't come up with anything that made any sense to me.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm I thought it was "walk a mile in your shoes", so "shoes" being in the clue threw me for a loop. NHO "...in your moccasins".
I've NHO moccasins either.
Same. I've only heard "walk a mile in one's shoes."
"Walk a mile in his moccasins" was a popular expression in the 70s, coinciding with an increased awareness of all things Indian/Native American (Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, etc.). I don't think I've heard it since then.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm Anne had what I thought was a nice get on "Sikorsky," but not enough like that to challenge for the lead. Then of course made almost the worst imaginable FJ wager, not that that cost her the game.
The grinch in me wishes this FJ had been a triple stumper so we could see Jackie win with $200 as Conor and Anna slowly processed what they'd just done.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Only missing Slip and Wingnut)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Caspian Sea), Fantastic Mr. Fox, Mariah Carey, Beating, Temptations, Limbo, Simile, (Ginkgo Biloba), Tim Berners-Lee
Douglas Squasoni
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:06 pm
John Boy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm Anne had what I thought was a nice get on "Sikorsky," but not enough like that to challenge for the lead. Then of course made almost the worst imaginable FJ wager, not that that cost her the game.
The grinch in me wishes this FJ had been a triple stumper so we could see Jackie win with $200 as Conor and Anna slowly processed what they'd just done.
It seems like there have been a rash of rash FJ wagers lately.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lots of people calling NHOI on moccasins. Possible poll question?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:53 pm Lots of people calling NHOI on moccasins. Possible poll question?
Not a bad idea. My answer will depend on the wording. If we're polling the clue itself, I didn't get it. But if we're polling whether someone has heard the expression with "moccasins" instead of just "shoes," I'll be able to check the box.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Hoover Dam here. Couldn't convert the 4th of July TOM into anything, didn't think it could be the Pentagon, Chrysler Building, or Empire State Building (built in 10 months, I think- actually 13.5 months). It was a great question, probably difficult to choose the clue language and avoid a giveaway.

Like Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak when the Yanks would bat around to give him another shot - Jackie keeps dodging bullets. It takes breaks now and then. Too bad when it is an unforced error.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 pm
Woppy T wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:23 pm Aside from Jackie's current run (and celebrity games), has there ever been a better chance of a contestant herself being the response/subject of a clue in a game she was playing? The Runaways appear in the archive a few times (the clue on June 21, 2017 even named many of the band members, but not Jackie).
There have been regular play writers/authors with enough notoriety to have been in a clue in the games they played.
I believe you, but I can't remember any. Did you have anyone in particular in mind?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:28 pm
I believe you, but I can't remember any. Did you have anyone in particular in mind?
Linda Sue Park was the one I had in mind and I could not recall the name until I remembered I could find it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1630

A Single Shard won a Newbery Medal.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:35 pm
Woppy T wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:28 pm
Linda Sue Park was the one I had in mind and I could not recall the name until I remembered I could find it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1630

A Single Shard won a Newbery Medal.
Another well-known author/contestant who could possibly be the subject of a clue is Brendan DuBois. Brendan writes very enjoyable mystery novels. He posts here as BADuBois (when I see his username, I always hear the musical refrain, "BADuBois, BADuBois, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?")