The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by RJRouge »

Golf wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:42 pm 2, Money money money. After a while I figured out I could monetize this skill. Call me a trivia slut I suppose. But when you can take an avocation and totally change your way of life, it seems silly not to put some effort into it.

In short, it's fun to kick ass and make money doing so.
It wasn't a life-changing amount, but I've essentially been banned from two local trivia nights for winning too often and not funneling enough money back into the bar. It's not my fault I obey the law re: drinking and driving.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

John Boy wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:50 pm
I've spent 158 pages now trying to figure out WHY I should learn.
Let me say this from the bottom of my heart, TPH: If the above really, truly is your attitude about life, then I'm baffled as to why you spend your time watching J! or visiting this board, which are ALL about learning.

Do YOU know why you watch the show and visit this board?
I'm interested in knowing this, too.

If you think learning is a "waste of time" then why do you even watch Jeopardy?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

TPH, if you ever need reassurance of your trivial endeavors, watch Ken Jennings' TED talk (or watch it again, if you've already seen it). He explains the need for this better than anyone here could.
Golf wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:42 pm
I had two reasons to retain trivial bits.

1, I love to compete, when I started playing trivia games naturally I wanted to win. Doesn't everybody want to win? So the more I learned the more I won, no different than sports. No different than you practicing for WoF.

2, Money money money. After a while I figured out I could monetize this skill. Call me a trivia slut I suppose. But when you can take an avocation and totally change your way of life, it seems silly not to put some effort into it.

This times 100. Of course, it is extremely rewarding to know information every day to better yourself as a person and member of society (again, watch Ken's video for more on this). For me though, after graduating high school and not being good enough to play varsity sports anymore, trivia became the outlet for my competitiveness. The more I see I could someday compete on the J! stage, a game of Millionaire or any other show, the more I want to work to improve and (hopefully someday) win.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:59 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm How will learning anything ever be fun?

No one's ever, in this whole massive thread, ever given me a reason to retain ANY of this. What is the purpose of having utterly useless, never applicable in any situation material cluttering up your head?!

1, I love to compete, when I started playing trivia games naturally I wanted to win. Doesn't everybody want to win? So the more I learned the more I won, no different than sports. No different than you practicing for WoF.

2, Money money money. After a while I figured out I could monetize this skill. Call me a trivia slut I suppose. But when you can take an avocation and totally change your way of life, it seems silly not to put some effort into it.

Other than going on J!, how do you monetize this? o.o

You never heard of any other game shows?

I host trivia nights, and because of that I expect to retire before I’m 55 years old.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:16 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm How will learning anything ever be fun?

No one's ever, in this whole massive thread, ever given me a reason to retain ANY of this. What is the purpose of having utterly useless, never applicable in any situation material cluttering up your head?!

I host trivia nights, and because of that I expect to retire before I’m 55 years old.
Where do you host them? Dubai?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:30 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:16 am

Where do you host them? Dubai?
because that commute would make perfect sense?????
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Just guess NYT for first box newspapers. It will get you more hits than misses.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:51 pm Just guess NYT for first box newspapers. It will get you more hits than misses.
"Just guess stroopwafel for first-box foods. There's a 1 in 397,486,123 chance that a food that has no hits in the archive will suddenly be top box material."
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Dude, why do you even watch the show?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:57 am Dude, why do you even watch the show?
Because on the rare occasion I can get out of my own way, things like this happen:
TIL the Washington Nationals exist. And the meaning of the word "charcuterie".
I just need to figure out how to drown out the shouts of "who cares?" from my brain
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:35 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:57 am Dude, why do you even watch the show?
Because on the rare occasion I can get out of my own way, things like this happen:
TIL the Washington Nationals exist. And the meaning of the word "charcuterie".
I just need to figure out how to drown out the shouts of "who cares?" from my brain
apparently...you don't care:

$800 Clue

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... +nationals+

$800 clue

$800 Clue

$1600 Clue

$1000 Clue

$600 Clue

$800 Clue

$800 Clue

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hammer's chance to get a FJ! clue right:

I lifted the link from Reddit where someone shared an Australian version of J! from 1993.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:29 pm Hammer's chance to get a FJ! clue right:
Nope, I had nothing. I could've taken 50 guesses and not gotten that. There are just too many panthera anythings for me to whittle down.

That said, this was an entertaining watch. I find that many countries, especially the UK, seem to go as dry and bare-bones as possible. "Countdown" is literally the dullest, most boring thing in the world. Other countries go too far and have too much noisy spectacle (dancing models, live bands, excessive chatter, etc.) that detracts from the gameplay. Historically, Australia seems to be good at making game shows entertaining but not excessive.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

50!? You can name 50 big cats?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:57 pm 50!? You can name 50 big cats?
A bit of hyperbole, but I just had nothing to narrow this one down with.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

GAAAAAAHHHH!!

It's "Jag-wahr", not Jag-you-are", you twit host!

Same goes for the dope that calls that overrated luxury sports car "Jag-you-are" in the car ads... I don't care if you're a Brit or an Aussie... "Jag-you-are" is just plain WRONG.

Oh, y'all in the American south, you're wrong with "Jagwire".

Maybe I should put this in the pet peeves thread??
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:41 pm GAAAAAAHHHH!!

Same goes for the dope that calls that overrated luxury sports car "Jag-you-are" in the car ads... I don't care if you're a Brit or an Aussie... "Jag-you-are" is just plain WRONG.
That's why I had a hard time deciphering that one line in "Maneater"...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:41 pm GAAAAAAHHHH!!

Oh, y'all in the American south, you're wrong with "Jagwire".

Maybe I should put this in the pet peeves thread??
Oooh!! Oooh!! Now do "zeh-bra"!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:24 pm I thought "A Midsummer Nights Dream" was a tough pick for the top box. That one's not nearly as pavlovian as some other Shakespeare plays.
It is when you're spotted Puck
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:36 pm Again implying that anything is near me.

Seriously though. I have had this discussion. Why should I learn anything that has no impact on me whatsoever? No one in the past four generations of my family has been in the service or fought in a war, so what use is that knowledge to me? No one believes in Greek gods anymore, so what use is that knowledge to me? I hate peanut butter, raisins, and celery, so what use is it to me to know what "ants on a log" are? I'm never gonna be a mechanic nor do I know anyone who is, so what use is it to me to know what a carburetor is?

What's the use of any knowledge? It's not like I'm ever gonna apply any of this crap.
You "shouldn't." No one is forcing you. But then, if you are not taking time to learn things that have no impact on you (i.e., trivia), then STOP WATCHING A MOTHERFUCKING TELEVISION PROGRAM WHICH IS ABOUT TRIVIA.

Look, something I don't care about is Star Wars. So I don't watch it. If I were of your mind, I would watch all the movies, then go to Star Wars forums to complain about how it's pointless and waste everyone's time there. Instead, I ignore it and move on with my life. Moreover, there are a lot more Star Wars forums than Jeopardy! forums, you would have no trouble at all avoiding Jeopardy! and trivia altogether if you wanted to.

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:50 pm Okay, so why should I learn? Nothing has given me a reason to.
It's nobody's job to do so.

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm Okay, why should I learn the planets? It's not like I'll be on J!, take up astronomy, or be the first person on Mars.
To not seem like an ignoramus? Sure, not everyone can name all the moons, but knowing the planets is fairly common knowledge, you'll look like a bit of an idiot if you can't name them. This is not a great reason, or even a good reason, but it's a reason that may be more realistic than being the first person on Mars.

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:46 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm Are you familiar with the definition of "trivia"?
I was told that it's fun, enjoyable, and interesting, but in 158 pages I've seen zero proof
All those things are subjective, most people who take the time to seek out and post on a Jeopardy! message board would find trivia to, indeed, be fun enjoyable and interesting (it is worth nothing this is not the definition of trivia, but I digress). It's entirely reasonable to find trivia boring, non-enjoyable and uninteresting, in fact I know many who think this, but they don't watch Jeopardy!, they don't visit Jeopardy! forums, they move on with their life. Then again they also don't live with their mothers and work at McDonald's, so "their life" is probably a lot more interesting than yours, maybe explaining why you hang around here so much, because you literally have nothing better to do than feel stupid.

triviawayne wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:11 pm I’m not sure why anyone bothers answering him at this point.

Either he isn’t really interested as he clearly states, or he is the biggest troll in Internet history and everyone here is a sucker.
If he were a troll, it would truly be legendary, but I don't think he is. There are far more interesting and well-trafficked places to troll than a Jeopardy! forum.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:59 pm Other than going on J!, how do you monetize this? o.o
Bar trivia. Then again, I imagine you neither drink nor have friends, so this might not work out for you.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.