Thursday, January 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7909, 2019-01-17

CONTESTANTS
Caroline Cawley, a research associate from San Mateo, California
Frank Orlando, a professor from Wesley Chapel, Florida
John Presloid, a microbiologist from Perrysburg, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, Johnny. Welcome. John is a giant killer. He defeated a champion who left us with about $104--close to $105,000--on yesterday's program. Caroline and Frank, welcome aboard. Nice to have you with us. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round comes first, as always. It has one Daily Double in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STATES & PROVINCES (5/5)
A TROPHY CATEGORY (5/5)
HOLY THIS! (5/5)
"C" IN COOKING (4/5)
FER SURE, IT WAS THE '80s (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ITALIAN ON VACATION (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Frank: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Caroline: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Caroline: $3,400
John: $3,200
Frank: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Caroline Cawley is a research associate in San Mateo, California, who grew up in a vegetarian household. Now, that's great if you buy into it, but I'm not sure that you bought into it completely.

Caroline: As a child, I definitely did not. My parents were vegetarian, but I was allowed to eat meat at other people's homes, so I had a real reputation in my extended family for going a bit wild on things like hot dogs any time I had the chance to.

Alex: Interesting. All of your neighbors knew to expect you in a surprise visit around dinnertime or lunchtime.

Caroline: Exactly. Exactly.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Frank Orlando is a professor from Florida. You're one of the lucky ones. As a child, you were growing up in a fantastic environment.

Frank: That's right, Alex. I grew up on--our family business was a miniature golf course and go-karts and video games, so pretty much. It was fun, but I was put to work there pretty much every day in the summer up in Michigan, so.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: John Presloid is our champion. He's from Ohio, and some of you may recall--those of you who are loyal fans of our program--you know that we once did an episode on Golden Girls. And you, I understand, are a Golden Girls encyclopedia, right?

John: Probably the biggest fan. I've seen every episode hundreds of times.

Alex: How many episodes did they do?

John: 144, I think.

Alex: Wow. And do you happen to remember the one in which I appeared and in which Jeopardy! was featured?

John: I actually watched it on the plane on the way here.

Alex: Oh, really?

John: Yes.

Alex: Good for you. Thank you very much.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. John had $4,000, Frank had $2,600, and Caroline was at $3,200. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,000.

FER SURE, IT WAS THE '80s $800: In December 1989 he took what would be a short-lived refuge in the Vatican embassy in Panama City

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"C" IN COOKING $1000: This recipe, steak for 2, calls for bearnaise sauce

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $11,600
Frank: $4,200
Caroline: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE WORLD THROUGH LITERATURE (2/5)
GENERATION "Y" (4/5)
CHEMISTRY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BIBLICAL FILMS (5/5)
BEARD MAN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OF ALCATRAZ (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Frank: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Caroline: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. John had $16,000, Frank had $4,200, and Caroline was at $3,400. John wagered $6,000.

CHEMISTRY $1600: The theory of relativity led to a reconsideration of the law of conservation of this 4-letter thing

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Frank who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. John had $24,000, Frank had $6,200, and Caroline was at $4,200. Frank wagered $4,000.

BEARD MAN $2000: This bearded guy was born in Colonus around 496 B.C. & wrote more than 120 plays, including "Ajax" & "Antigone"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GENERATION "Y" $1600: The British functionary seen here is called this warder

OF ALCATRAZ $1200: In a 1962 film, this actor played prisoner Robert Stroud, the famous birdman of Alcatraz

THE WORLD THROUGH LITERATURE $1600: A bold English adventurer helps a Japanese warlord become the title of this James Clavell saga of feudal Japan
(Caroline: What is The Last Samurai?)

THE WORLD THROUGH LITERATURE $1200: This classic work recounts 100 stories told by 3 men & 7 women fleeing the plague in 14th century Italy

CHEMISTRY $2000: By combining nitrogen & hydrogen, Fritz Haber created a process to create this gas needed for fertilizers
(Caroline: Oh, sorry. No.)

THE WORLD THROUGH LITERATURE $2000: In "In the Time of Butterflies", rebels in this country pay the ultimate price for standing up to Trujillo
(John: What is Peru?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $25,200 (lock game)
Frank: $11,800
Caroline: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY ART

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
John: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Frank: Wager $3,001 to cover Caroline.
Caroline: You have the hope of surpassing Frank for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,400 and $7,398.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After it was auctioned in 2018, a work by this artist was renamed "Love is in the Bin"

FINAL SCORES
Caroline: $7,400 + $4,401 = $11,801 (Who is Banksy? ☺) (2nd place: $2,000)
Frank: $11,800 - $3,001 = $8,799 (Who is Pollock?) (3rd place: $1,000)
John: $25,200 + $0 = $25,200 (Who is Banksy?) (2-day champion: $37,200)
(Alex: Got a lot of publicity. Sold for over a million dollars and then ba-boom!)
(Alex: [To Caroline] Yes, the artwork shredded right after the hammer came down.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $17,600, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Frank: $9,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Caroline: $7,400, 13 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $34,800

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 25/60 = .417
Frank: 16/59 = .271
Caroline: 14/58 = .241
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STATES & PROVINCES $200: Twice the size of Texas, it's Canada's largest province at 595,000 square miles

HOLY THIS! $600: This food fish seen here lives in ocean coastal areas

ITALIAN ON VACATION $1000: There's no shortage of chiese, these--they're beautiful, rich in art & cool in the summer
(Caroline: What are museums?)

A TROPHY CATEGORY $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents from Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland.) Estimated to be worth $4 million, the Woodlawn Vase, representing victory in the Preakness, is a sterling silver piece dating back to 1860, designed by this New York City jeweler

BEARD MAN $1200: This buccaneer's luxuriant facial hair earned him his infamous nickname

OF ALCATRAZ $2000: In 1847 this "Pathfinder" bought Alcatraz but Uncle Sam wouldn't recognize the purchase
(Frank: Who is Winfield Scott?)

OF ALCATRAZ $800: In the late 1890s the population of a military prison on Alcatraz swelled to near 450 due to this war
(Alex: We're running out of time.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Manuel) Noriega
chateaubriand
mass
Sophocles
yeoman warder
Burt Lancaster
Shogun
the Decameron
ammonia
the Dominican Republic
Banksy
Quebec
mackerel
churches
Tiffany's
Blackbeard
(John C.) Fremont
the Spanish-American War
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY ART

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After it was auctioned in 2018, a work by this artist was renamed “Love Is In The Bin”

John Presloid: 25200+0=25200 (2x = $37,200)
Frank Orlando: 11800-3001=8799
Caroline Cawley: 7400+4401=11801

Correct response:
Spoiler
Banksy (Frank – Pollock)

Daily Doubles
John: 4000+4000
John: 16000+6000
Frank: 6200+4000 (John had 24000 at the time with 8 clues left after the DD)

Coryats
John: 17600
Frank: 9800
Caroline: 7400

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
John: 11600
Frank: 4200
Caroline: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John seemed quite happy to no longer have to play against Anneke & Jill. What a difference a game makes. Or he ate a can of spinach for lunch?

John is a big fan of The Golden Girls yet his guess of 144 for the number of episodes in the series was off by 36.

The actor who player Robert Stroud in Birdman of Alcatraz a stumper? [shakes head] That movie always amuses me to see Telly Savalas (further down the cast list) with hair. As is typical for a prison movie there are plenty of other known actors/characters to spot in it.

Good thing I got the FJ! clue right since I’m the one who put the video in the current events thread last year although with the former title of the work.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 am John seemed quite happy to no longer have to play against Anneke & Jill. What a difference a game makes. Or he ate a can of spinach for lunch?

John is a big fan of The Golden Girls yet his guess of 144 for the number of episodes in the series was off by 36.

The actor who player Robert Stroud in Birdman of Alcatraz a stumper? [shakes head] That movie always amuses me to see Telly Savalas (further down the cast list) with hair. As is typical for a prison movie there are plenty of other known actors/characters to spot in it.

Good thing I got the FJ! clue right since I’m the one who put the video in the current events thread last year although with the former title of the work.
I don’t know how much influence Alex has with clues or categories but he’s a huge fan of TCM. And yet old movies seem to be a black hole in the knowledge base of most contestants.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

GOD DAMN IT, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME OF THE GEICO "TINY HOUSE" AD?!?!?

Frank said he grew up near a minigolf course in Michigan? I wonder what part of the state?

Cooking was over my head. NHO chafing dish, chicory, or chateaubriand.

Ran "Holy". I'm guessing the S-word was not in the J!6?

Italian on Vacation was tough. I had none of them, and matching them to Spanish didn't help. I can think of a lot of "trained professionals" that you'd call when in trouble, and almost WAGged police.

No guess on FJ!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A post on Reddit mentioned Frank was on Sports J! as well. Here is the J! Board write-up: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3495&p=211659
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I really need to sort out Manuel Noriega and Daniel Ortega. Unfortunately, Ortega was a nu-crossword/Games Magazine fave back in the day, so his name always comes to mind first.
theFJguy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:28 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY ART

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After it was auctioned in 2018, a work by this artist was renamed “Love Is In The Bin”
The infamous auction took place October 5. When did this ep tape? Anyone know?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm When did this ep tape? Anyone know?
Nov. 27
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Thanks for the SJ link. Did not recognize Frank, but I do recall that game.

Entertaining game for the most part, John was really sharp today. Interesting endgame play, but luckily for Frank holding that money back did not matter in the end. I wish John had snagged DD3, if for no other reason to see how much he could have won today.

Final was an instaget, and I'll throw in a vote for the "Current Events thread helped me get this Final". Saw the headline on my own, but seeing it here might have ensured it stuck.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm I really need to sort out Manuel Noriega and Daniel Ortega.
It's as easy as ABC if you just remember "Manuel Noriega of Panama". :)

ETA: (Now I just need a way to connect that to Torrijos so I stop getting him confused with Trujillo...)
Last edited by cheezguyty on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was cheering for Caroline. What a lovely woman!

The innominate situation came into play today. If Caroline had held back toward the end of the double jeopardy round, there would have been a chance of avoiding a runaway. As FJ turned out, it wouldn't have mattered. And of course Caroline came out ahead by being able to take second place and capturing that extra thousand.

Would I have gotten a reconsideration for cauldron as something that heats food from the Latin word for heat?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to John on an impressive showing today, going from a surprise champion to a dominant force. Cool to watch.

No on FJ for me. Went with Warhol though Pollack also came to mind.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

An '80s category? More, please!
A Contemporary Art FJ? Never again, please!
What was with Frank's bet in DJ? He had to bet it all to keep it from being a runaway.
Lots of trash for the taking in DJ. Yeoman, Shogun (how?), Decameron, ammonia (NH3 is chem 101), and shoulda got Dominican Republic.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Lach Trash: Yeoman, Dominican Republic

My guess for FJ was Roy Liechtenstein, but after Alex's comments, I remembered the event and who it was.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:45 pm An '80s category? More, please!
A Contemporary Art FJ? Never again, please!
What was with Frank's bet in DJ? He had to bet it all to keep it from being a runaway.
Lots of trash for the taking in DJ. Yeoman, Shogun (how?), Decameron, ammonia (NH3 is chem 101), and shoulda got Dominican Republic.
standard...the people on this show know heaps of stuff except for math and strategy
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm I really need to sort out Manuel Noriega and Daniel Ortega. Unfortunately, Ortega was a nu-crossword/Games Magazine fave back in the day, so his name always comes to mind first.
theFJguy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:28 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY ART

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The infamous auction took place October 5. When did this ep tape? Anyone know?
who is that? a pugilist or the dude who owns a line of mexican food ingredients?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Lichtenstein was another name that came to mind. I was going back in time and didn't think of anyone that was still alive. So because of that, I had no chance.

I know who Banksy is though.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 pm I was cheering for Caroline. What a lovely woman!

The innominate situation came into play today. If Caroline had held back toward the end of the double jeopardy round, there would have been a chance of avoiding a runaway. As FJ turned out, it wouldn't have mattered. And of course Caroline came out ahead by being able to take second place and capturing that extra thousand.

Would I have gotten a reconsideration for cauldron as something that heats food from the Latin word for heat?
A cauldron is not designed to "keep" food warm, but more important, it's not a "dish."

Took :10 to get the point of the FJ, then another :10 to recall the artist's name, but that left enough time...

Not many "contemporary" artists, in the sense of still living, that would be used in FJ. Christo, probably...Damien Hirst? Probably not...How about Kehinde Wiley, who painted Barack Obama...? David Hockney was used in 2017 (to 30% results here...).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I thought John would be a one and done after his roadkill session Monday that was saved by a sole solve of a somewhat YEKIOYD FJ.

I liked all three contestants, especially since none of them knew Chateaubriand. There are some things that should not be learned :D . I remember it from the menu of the only fine dining restaurant in Joplin MO in the 70's. All the prom dates, fancy receptions, and 4 martini business lunches were in this one establishment, long before any franchises showed up. The tar and smoke stench was in every pore.

Uh Oh - Ugly category - maybe it will be a wordplay not requiring artsy fartsy knowledge...

I sussed out the story from the clue and knew it was that ambush artist guy. The name came in about 10 seconds. It turns out I know ONE name. Plus someone mentioned Christo, so that is my next answer for this category. No matter what the clue says.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.