Thursday, January 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Thursday, January 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peachbox »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 pm
Ran "Holy". I'm guessing the S-word was not in the J!6?
Well, not that one, but an S-word
Spoiler
spirit
cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:09 pm
ETA: (Now I just need a way to connect that to Torrijos so I stop getting him confused with Trujillo...)
Match the letter L: Trujillo is the guy from the Dominican Republic...so Torrijos has to be Panama.
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

Towards the end of DJ, I didn't hear Alex say LTAM, but instead I thought he said something like "We're running out of time." Does that happen every so often?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I went with Robert Indiana, who is known for a sculpture with the word "love" spelled out. Negbait!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

harrumph wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 am For FJ I went with Robert Indiana, who is known for a sculpture with the word "love" spelled out. Negbait!
It's really only negbait for those living under a rock in October. It seemed to have gone viral.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did anyone else think it was strange that Caroline got credit for "Yalie" when the clue specifically asked for the Ivy League school? Maybe I missed something in the wording, but I was expecting a reversal before FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:50 am Did anyone else think it was strange that Caroline got credit for "Yalie" when the clue specifically asked for the Ivy League school? Maybe I missed something in the wording, but I was expecting a reversal before FJ.
GENERATION "Y" $400: Insert an “I” into an Ivy League school to get this nickname for one of its grads

Writers: 1
Kirk: 0
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mea culpa! I thought it was strange that no one had commented on this yet.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

harrumph wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 am For FJ I went with Robert Indiana, who is known for a sculpture with the word "love" spelled out. Negbait!
I also thought of him and it, but I decided he couldn't really own "love" and "bin" also pushed me toward the UK (but the concept of "negbait" doesn't apply in FJ).
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

He lived on the island where my daughter lives. His house is huge, and right on the main street, but it's really fallen into disrepair. It's sad.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:45 pm An '80s category? More, please!
A Contemporary Art FJ? Never again, please!
Amen, and Amen. (Not that the writers are paying any attention to our votes, but....)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Sorry. My Trigger finger got itchy and I repeated the above message.
Last edited by John Boy on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I agree: John's second game was a whole different thing compared to his first game. He looked tough in this one.

Got zero LT for the entire J! round and nearly half of DJ! Then started picking up the trash on the tougher clues late in the game with Burt Lancaster, Shogun, Decameron, and ammonia.

No clue on FJ! At the reveal I remembered the news around the shredding of this work, but could never have remembered the name of the work at all. And that breaks my streak of 10 consecutive correct FJs, a record for me I believe.
Last edited by John Boy on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 pm standard...the people on this show know heaps of stuff except for math and strategy
And sports.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Golf wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:33 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 pm standard...the people on this show know heaps of stuff except for math and strategy
And sports.
And movies/Oscars.

Ironically, people seem to do fairly well with the “dreaded” Opera category. Or at least that’s my perception.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:59 am
And sports.
And movies/Oscars.

Ironically, people seem to do fairly well with the “dreaded” Opera category. Or at least that’s my perception.
I'd say movies and Oscars are 2 different things. You're only going to excel at Oscars if you memorize lists. I know many people do, but most contestants won't. I think general movie categories (who starred in what, or even who directed what) usually go well for contestants. Theater is another story...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Chateaubriand, Yeoman, Burt Lancaster, Shogun, The Decameron, Ammonia, Dominican Republic
Douglas Squasoni
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm
And sports.
And movies/Oscars.

I'd say movies and Oscars are 2 different things. You're only going to excel at Oscars if you memorize lists. I know many people do, but most contestants won't. I think general movie categories (who starred in what, or even who directed what) usually go well for contestants. Theater is another story...
Current movies - maybe. Anything before 2000, not so much. Even when they give them a photo, contestants can’t place some of the biggest names in Hollywood - again, stars from the 30s, 40s, etc. (Keeping in mind that we know that the screen the contestants get isn’t so great).
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

He finally played like the John Presloid I remember. I guess he had a rejuvenating lunch.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

davey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm
And sports.
And movies/Oscars.

Agree. Last night in bar trivia, this question came up: "Name the last two directors not born in Mexico who have won the Academy Award for Best Director". A majority of teams got it wrong--even though only one of the two would count as correct. (Answer: Ang Lee, for Life of Pi; and Damien Chazelle, for La La Land.)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Not ironic at all. "classic" opera is pretty much codefied with what one needs to know, but who can keep track of movies every year?