Thursday, January 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7914, 2019-01-24

CONTESTANTS
Nancy Rohlen, a sales manager from Chicago, Illinois
Aaron Lichtig, a growth marketer from Silver Spring, Maryland
Rachel Paterno-Mahler, an astrophysicist from Playa del Rey, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $29,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. So far, this new year, Jeopardy! and its champions have been on quite a roll, earning a lot of money. And keep in mind, we have an astrophysicist as the champion today. She replaced a microbiologist. Oh, gosh. We're getting so up there. Aaron and Nancy, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Let's have some fun with these categories, shall we? Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TOP NON-SPORTS PROGRAMS OF ALL TIME (5/5) (Alex: According to Nielsen.)
EDIBLE HOMOPHONES (3/5)
I NAMED IT AFTER YOU (5/5)
THAT'S SO "P.C." (5/5)
CARACAS (5/5)
CREATURES WITH BLOWHOLES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nancy: 10 R, 1 W
Aaron: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Rachel: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Aaron found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Rachel had $1,000, Aaron had $2,400, and Nancy was at $1,400. Aaron wagered $1,200.

CREATURES WITH BLOWHOLES $600: Monodon monoceros, it has to navigate Arctic ice so it can get air into its blowhole
(Aaron: What is a river dolphin?)
(Alex: No. Monoceros--single horn. [*].)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Aaron: $2,000
Nancy: $1,600
Rachel: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Nancy Rohlen is a sales manager from Chicago. And Nancy, you have discovered that sometimes taking a DNA test might or might not be the wisest thing to do. What did you discover when you took one?

Nancy: Well, I took a 23andMe test, and I thought the results would show my ancestry and my health risks. But what I wasn't expecting was that it showed I had higher than average Neanderthal DNA, which came as a surprise. But it explains why I want to go around clubbing things all the time.

[Laughter]

Alex: Let me see your hand.

[Nancy extends her hand to Alex.]

Alex: No, you don't drag your knuckles on the ground. You're good. You're fine.

Alex: Aaron Lichtig from Silver Spring, Maryland, is a marketer, and you and I have something in common. But you had it for ten months--a Guinness World Record. Tell the folks about it.

Aaron: Yes. With a team of 12, I held the record for ten months for going to the most bars or pubs in a single day.

Alex: That's not the record I have.

Alex: Rachel Paterno-Mahler from southern California. Astrophysicist.

Rachel: Yep.

Alex: You and your dad, though, are not Angels fans.

Rachel: No.

Alex: Or Dodgers fans.

Rachel: No.

Alex: You are...

Rachel: Yankees fans. So when they opened their new stadium in 2009, we went to their open--home opener at the stadium. And it was a really nice, really fun bonding experience for the two of us.

Alex: My son lives about five minutes walking distance from Yankee Stadium, and he loves going there to see the games.

Rachel: Great stadium.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EDIBLE HOMOPHONES $600: It's the 16th letter of the Greek alphabet

EDIBLE HOMOPHONES $1000: It's what bilge water comes from

CREATURES WITH BLOWHOLES $800: Here's a good shot of the blowhole of one of these notoriously vocal whales
(Aaron: What is a sperm whale?)
(Nancy: What is a blue whale?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nancy: $4,400
Rachel: $3,600
Aaron: $3,600
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PAINTERS' MASTERPIECES (4/5)
SLOGANS & MOTTOES (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POTENT POE TALES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"BIO" (4/5)
PEOPLE POWER (5/5)
BEFORE & ACTOR (1/3) (Alex: It's a before and after category, only with actors' names.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nancy: 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Aaron: 9 R, 3 W
Rachel: 1 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nancy snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Rachel had $1,600, Aaron had $9,600, and Nancy was at $9,200. Nancy wagered $2,000.

SLOGANS & MOTTOES $1200: Yale's motto "Lux et Veritas" means this
(Nancy: What is truth and wisdom?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rachel who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Rachel had $3,600, Aaron had $11,600, and Nancy was at $6,800. Rachel made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

POTENT POE TALES $800: This Poe story's title is realized as the narrator flees the "House" as it cracks & is torn asunder
(Alex: Anything?)
(Rachel: What is "The House with the Crack in Its Wall"?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"BIO" $1200: If you're able to live in both Atlanta & Atlantis, you're this, like a toad

PAINTERS' MASTERPIECES $2000: In 1908, he gave us "The Kiss", now at Vienna's Belvedere Museum
(Aaron: Who is Rodin?)
(Rachel: Who is Lichstein?)
(Nancy: Who is Duchamp?)

SLOGANS & MOTTOES $1600: He used the slogan "Return to Normalcy" in his 1920 presidential campaign
(Aaron: Who is Wilson?)
(Nancy: Who is Hoover?)

BEFORE & ACTOR $2000: The Sally whom Harry met meets Lars, who wanted a real girl
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

BEFORE & ACTOR $1600: A big screen "21 Jump Street" cop who's been seen on "CSI: NY" & "The Good Doctor"
(Rachel: Who is Channing Tatum O'Neal?)

SLOGANS & MOTTOES $800: Smokey Bear spoke of forest fires until 2001 when his motto became "Only you can prevent" these; humans cause most

SLOGANS & MOTTOES $400: "United in diversity" is the motto of this intl. entity created by the Maastricht treaty in 1992
(Aaron: What is the World Bank?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Aaron: $12,400
Nancy: $7,200
Rachel: -$1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.K. PRIME MINISTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Aaron: Wager $2,001 to cover Nancy.
Nancy: You have the hope of surpassing Aaron if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $7,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He was the first U.K. prime minister born after Elizabeth II became queen

FINAL SCORES
Nancy: $7,200 + $5,201 = $12,401 (Who is Tony Blair) (2nd place: $2,000)
Aaron: $12,400 + $2,001 = $14,401 (Who is Tony Blair) (New champion: $14,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Aaron: $13,600, 18 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Nancy: $9,200, 19 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Rachel: $2,000, 8 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $24,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Nancy: 20/59 = .339
Aaron: 19/59 = .322
Rachel: 8/59 = .136
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CREATURES WITH BLOWHOLES $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a harbor porpoise on the monitor.) Under the blowhole of the harbor porpoise are phonic lips that allow it to make clicks that aid in this acoustic targeting process

CARACAS $800: Here's a statue of this general, the George Washington of South America, in the Caracas plaza named for him

I NAMED IT AFTER YOU $600: The creator of this hyperactivity drug named it for his wife Marguerite
(Rachel: What is Adderall?)
(Alex: Her nickname was Rita.)

THAT'S SO "P.C." $400: The fellow seen here was made from these

THAT'S SO "P.C." $800: The logo seen here belongs to a bestselling brand of these, around for more than 130 years

PEOPLE POWER $1200: She became president in the Philippines after People Power pushed out Ferdinand Marcos

PEOPLE POWER $2000: During Arab Spring protests in this north African country, President Ben Ali resigned & fled, leading to free elections

PAINTERS' MASTERPIECES $800: John Steuart Curry put American regionalism on the map with this religious event in Kansas

"BIO" $400: To remove tissue from a living body for diagnosis
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the narwhal
pi
a leak
the humpback whale
light and truth
"The Fall of the House of Usher"
amphibious
Gustav Klimt
Harding
Meg Ryan Gosling
Jonah Hill Harper
wildfires
the European Union
Tony Blair
echolocation
Bolivar
Ritalin
pipe cleaners
playing cards
(Corazon) Aquino
Tunisia
baptism
biopsy
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.K. PRIME MINISTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He was the first U.K. Prime Minister born after Elizabeth II became queen

Rachel Paterno-Mahler: minus 1600
Aaron Lichtig: 12400+2001=14401 (New Champ)
Nancy: Rohlen: 7200+5201=12401

Correct response:
Spoiler
Tony Blair

Daily Doubles
Aaron: 2400-1200
Nancy: 9200-2000
Rachel: 3600-3600

Coryats
Rachel: 2000
Aaron: 13600
Nancy: 9200

Combined: 24,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Rachel: 3600
Aaron: 3600
Nancy: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

EDIBLE HOMOPHONES showed how the game is easier at home with the players unable to get the Greek alphabet clue.

Rachel's chat time probably won her rooters and lost her rooters in equal doses being a fan of that baseball team.

Each player missed a Daily Double and that did not help the scoreboard adding up to only a poor 18000 for the 2-person FJ! round. The double solve at least gave the game a respectable ending.

My solve on the FJ! clue was more movie guessing than actual knowledge as I pictured Michael Sheen in The Queen looking young. I had time to think of John Major and figure he had to be born before 1953.

Good news for the TOC bubblers if the carousel is greased up again.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:31 am EDIBLE HOMOPHONES showed how the game is easier at home with the players unable to get the Greek alphabet clue.
For what it's worth, apparently that clue threw the closed captioner for a loop as well.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Interesting coincidence that we get the "Caracas" category today

Just going to note that my favorite sports team name of all time comes from the American Football League of China: the Combat Orcas

I'm going to have that Narwhals song stuck in my head all day now

That reminds me, I still need to watch Primary Colors...

Wow, I always assumed it was called "Ritalin" because it works as an activity retardant or something...

OK, given the way the clue was constructed "Hattiesburg" was way overvalued for $1000. I wonder if it was a substitute clue.

Goodbye, Farewell, Amen...

My initial read was of "Lilliputians" instead of "Liverpudlians."

Romania, where the revolution was, in fact, televised (with apologies to Mr. Scott-Heron).

Initial thought: "There was a group of people in Japan called 'Wat Tylers'?"

"Don't Tread on Me" seems overvalued at $2000

Pre-calling Anthony Eden.

Nope.

Coryat: $44,600

J: 26R3P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on Non-Sports Programs, That's So "P.C.," and Caracas. 4/5 on I Named it After You (I, too, said "adderall") and Blowholes. 3/5 on Homophones.

DJ: 25R3P. 1/2 on DDs (I said "The House Divided" as a WAG). 5/5 on Slogans, "Bio," and People Power. 4/5 on Masterpieces and Poe Tales. 2/3 on Before & Actor.

FJ: Instaget, though I later panicked and considered shifting to Gordon Brown. Good thing I didn't.

LT: amphibious, Warren G. Harding, European Union
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Seems a bit silly to expect contestants to know whether Tony Blair was born in 1953 or 1951.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Three of the easiest DD clues in a while so what happened??

As for FJ, this is probably a case of knowing just a little is an advantage. It obviously wasn’t going to be Thatcher (wring gender anyway) or Major so Blair seemed like a pretty good guess. I didn’t realize that Brown was so close in time but even if so, the worst case is that it’s a coin toss.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I missed the "Edible" part of Homophones entirely, so I bombed that category.

Yet again I fail to retain where exactly the Caribbean is.

Can't say I've heard of Caracas, so its country of location was unknown to me at $200.

Ritalin was my only miss in "Named It After You". It just didn't sound like a name to me.

Ran the TV and Blowholes categories.

Didn't recognize anything in that People category.

I didn't know Smokey's slogan had changed to "wildfires", and apparently neither did the contestants. "European Union" also seemed tough for the top box, especially compared to Wendy's being much further down.

UK Prime Ministers? I literally can't name a single one, so I'm hosed. You could've told me "his name rhymes with Phony Chair" and I still would've missed it.

Lach Trash: humpback whale, amphibious. Also got the Yale slogan DD.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:03 pm Seems a bit silly to expect contestants to know whether Tony Blair was born in 1953 or 1951.
Yeah, that was a lame clue. You could easily think it's Major, Blair, or Brown.

Speaking of lame-ass clues, that bilge water/leak(leek) clue was stupid. What does a leak have to do with bilge water?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Surprised myself by getting that narwhal DD. Kind of a WAG, as the term used here.

Shame that Rachel couldn't capitalize on that TDD. It seems like we've been having a lot of people go out before FJ this season so far. A lot more than usual.

I guessed Gordon Brown. He was PM after Blair, so I figured Blair might have been a bit older than the clue asked for.
Last edited by JayK33 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm
goforthetie wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:03 pm Seems a bit silly to expect contestants to know whether Tony Blair was born in 1953 or 1951.
I precalled Cameron. I guess I figured if you were a British PM you were older - Blair would have to have been what, 43-44 when he took office?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Lach Trash: pi (pie), Warren G. Harding, European Union (I said "EU"); Daily Double: Light and truth, The Fall of the House of Usher

I was thinking either John Major or Tony Blair, and decided to go with the latter.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Euphonium wrote: OK, given the way the clue was constructed "Hattiesburg" was way overvalued for $1000. I wonder if it was a substitute clue.

I felt the Hattiesburg clue was salvaged from the stupid answers bin.

There was another bottom row clue, which I can't recall, that was similarly out of sorts in value.
Last edited by Category 13 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Shaymin wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:28 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm
I precalled Cameron. I guess I figured if you were a British PM you were older - Blair would have to have been what, 43-44 when he took office?
43 years, 361 days.

Precalled and stuck with Cameron, too. I also thought Bush43 and Blair were the same age (Bush43 is actually 7 years older) and Bush43 predates QE2's coronation. I also recall Blair and Brown were contemporaries themselves so -they'd- be the same age (I was almost right here, they're two years apart...and the year apart was QE2's coronation year... :roll: )

I guess if I was as news hungry in 1997 as I was now, I would've gotten this. I can't recall anything recent that would have inspired this clue...

Meanwhile, I'm thinking of starting a change.org petition to stop "Name this highlighted country!" clues in the bottom row.
(I will allow exceptions if it's one of the Lesser Antilles (except T&T) or from one of the Pacific Ocean *nesias...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I give up on forecasting how strong a champ is going to be. Let's go for a 74 day run, Aaron! Yeah, I probably just jinxed you :cry:

I expected a whumping by the FJ category but knew the approx demographic because that selfish woman has been Queen my whole life. rant:
Spoiler
Two things that chafe me - 1) The 60 year long Cuban embargo - if we'd had sensible relations, they would be a thriving democracy by now, and 2) the old bat that screwed over Charles who may be a John Kerry clone, but deserves the crown way more than her accidental birth in the right vagina
They found a category I dislike even more than Before and After. Ugh.
I have no problem with the bilge water to leak connection.
Blair seemed to be close enough to my age, and has the most name recognition of PM's since Maggie because of the bromance with GWB.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:13 pm Interesting coincidence that we get the "Caracas" category today

Just going to note that my favorite sports team name of all time comes from the American Football League of China: the Combat Orcas

I'm going to have that Narwhals song stuck in my head all day now

That reminds me, I still need to watch Primary Colors...

Wow, I always assumed it was called "Ritalin" because it works as an activity retardant or something...

OK, given the way the clue was constructed "Hattiesburg" was way overvalued for $1000. I wonder if it was a substitute clue.

Goodbye, Farewell, Amen...

My initial read was of "Lilliputians" instead of "Liverpudlians."

Romania, where the revolution was, in fact, televised (with apologies to Mr. Scott-Heron).

Initial thought: "There was a group of people in Japan called 'Wat Tylers'?"

Pre-calling Anthony Eden.

Nope.

Coryat: $44,600

J: 26R3P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on Non-Sports Programs, That's So "P.C.," and Caracas. 4/5 on I Named it After You (I, too, said "adderall") and Blowholes. 3/5 on Homophones.

DJ: 25R3P. 1/2 on DDs (I said "The House Divided" as a WAG). 5/5 on Slogans, "Bio," and People Power. 4/5 on Masterpieces and Poe Tales. 2/3 on Before & Actor.

FJ: Instaget, though I later panicked and considered shifting to Gordon Brown. Good thing I didn't.

LT: amphibious, Warren G. Harding, European Union
for sure....could have left out the name of the daughter and thrown in that city's most famous resident (brett favre) somewhere in the clue...seeing how bad jeopardy people are with sports, it would have been more challenging
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:12 pm
Blair seemed to be close enough to my age, and has the most name recognition of PM's since Maggie because of the bromance with GWB.
Yeah, maybe it's the slacker in me, but I figured that Blair was the only post-Thatcher ex-PM we'd still be expected to remember for FJ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:46 am
Yeah, maybe it's the slacker in me, but I figured that Blair was the only post-Thatcher ex-PM we'd still be expected to remember for FJ.
Agreed, except maybe the current one...and yet, if I hadn't caught a glimpse of him being interviewed on TV earlier this week, I might have forgotten Blair's name...!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:46 am
I dunno. I dithered over whether Blair was too old and David Cameron would be the answer. As for this episode, oof! Not the easiest to watch.