Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

threearruda wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 pm I think we can officially end all debate about the easiest $50k question of the year with today's game.
Spoiler

Charlie had no lifelines and walked without a guess, he said he had it between A and D. Croatia, of course, is the correct answer. Can't blame you if you aren't totally certain in that particular situation, and $30k is no small amount.

Still though, in my eyes that's a pretty basic political geography question that I think lots of board members would get quickly. I did at least. (ETA: Recalled my high school history teacher explaining the trick about Croatia eating B&H). Just goes to show how different the audience is that Millionaire caters to as compared to J!
Within the last year I started trying to learn which country is which on the map, and one of my memory hacks was to notice that Croatia was shaped vaguely like a C, and then it followed that B&H was nestled inside it. (Also, I decided Macedonia was shaped like a potato.) So yeah, easy $50k there.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:08 pm
threearruda wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 pm I think we can officially end all debate about the easiest $50k question of the year with today's game.
Spoiler

Charlie had no lifelines and walked without a guess, he said he had it between A and D. Croatia, of course, is the correct answer. Can't blame you if you aren't totally certain in that particular situation, and $30k is no small amount.

Still though, in my eyes that's a pretty basic political geography question that I think lots of board members would get quickly. I did at least. (ETA: Recalled my high school history teacher explaining the trick about Croatia eating B&H). Just goes to show how different the audience is that Millionaire caters to as compared to J!
Within the last year I started trying to learn which country is which on the map, and one of my memory hacks was to notice that Croatia was shaped vaguely like a C, and then it followed that B&H was nestled inside it. (Also, I decided Macedonia was shaped like a potato.) So yeah, easy $50k there.
Ditto. Bulgaria also looks like a snorting bull.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Spoiler

If it was the easiest of the season it was a short reign. ;)
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:12 pm Another incredibly easy $50,000 question today. I suppose there are more people here who are into Countries rather than Art. ;)
Ask me at this time last year and you're absolutely right. I have gotten into art in the last year or so, though. Not as much as you, however. :D
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 am
Oh man, I was thisclose to making some snide comment about hoping I wouldn't be proven wrong Friday... Welp! Props for Adam going for it and getting it right. The topic of the next question was something I never expected to come up on a game show.

Great work by Sam as well to end a very entertaining week of games overall, several really good players. Looks as if the positive momentum might keep rolling into Monday!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Spoiler

I mentioned to my wife the other night that the $10K-$50K questions at this stage of the season seem markedly easier than those in the early part of the season. Whether this results from a conscious decision on the part of TPTB to ease up on the level of difficulty or just question fatigue by the writers (or bitterness on my part for having been on in the early part of the season) I know not, but that's been my perception for a couple of weeks now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:10 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:12 pm Another incredibly easy $50,000 question today. I suppose there are more people here who are into Countries rather than Art. ;)
Ask me at this time last year and you're absolutely right. I have gotten into art in the last year or so, though. Not as much as you, however. :D
Oh man, I was thisclose to making some snide comment about hoping I wouldn't be proven wrong Friday... Welp! Props for Adam going for it and getting it right. The topic of the next question was something I never expected to come up on a game show.

Great work by Sam as well to end a very entertaining week of games overall, several really good players. Looks as if the positive momentum might keep rolling into Monday!
Sam: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5651 is going to make more money than he did on J! while surpassing his 10R on J! is another story. He still reminds me of Jackie Gleason.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Yet another easy $50k question today. I know it was once $1 Million on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader", but still.

Adam got the answer right and wound up with $50,000.

The $100,000 question I would have chosen Hyena as well. I thought it would be pretty interesting if the other three did pass gas and the Hyena didn't.
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Spoiler

[/quote]Just goes to show how different the audience is that Millionaire caters to as compared to J![/quote]

they are 2 different games for sure, but jeopardy contestants generally suck at geography, so in this case the catering part does not equate
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

instaget for me...pizz on art...more geography needed
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mild spoiler comments for the 1/28 episode:
Spoiler
Agony Aunt was in Friday's J! category of BRIT SPEAK and it came up in today's Millionaire show. I like the fun brainbusters for letters ending country names and letters not in months of the year. Fun at home at least. Do not miss the Audience Member segment. There are no words. And I mean the question/answer portion not the outfit.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I saw the audience segment (it airs at 11am in Oklahoma City).

let's just say, "Llama Boy" now has company with "Five Manatees Girl".
Last edited by MDCSWildcats86 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:16 pm Mild spoiler comments for the 1/28 episode:
Spoiler
Agony Aunt was in Friday's J! category of BRIT SPEAK and it came up in today's Millionaire show. I like the fun brainbusters for letters ending country names and letters not in months of the year. Fun at home at least. Do not miss the Audience Member segment. There are no words. And I mean the question/answer portion not the outfit.
I knew I saw "Agony Aunt" very recently(I got the answer right.). At first I thought it might have been from Eggheads, The Chase, Pointless, or Mastermind, but it turned out to be Jeopardy! this entire time. :shock:

I might have held the land speed record of getting the $30,000 clue in the fastest time. Mainly because I looked at G and Luxembourg was at the top of my head.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The question of the day (what is the only state with an element in the periodic table named after it) is out of date. At least they didn't have Tennessee as one of the choices.
LucarioSnooperVixey

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:26 pm The question of the day (what is the only state with an element in the periodic table named after it) is out of date. At least they didn't have Tennessee as one of the choices.
All of the questions from the "Question of the Day" are from past episodes.

This was Ken Basin's $300 question. His episode was in 2009. Tennessine didn't become an element until 2016.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Another contestant leaves empty-handed after getting bamboozled by the Audience. Even more painful was that her gut said Pepperidge Farm cookies and initially was going to lock it in but decided to go with the Audience at the last second. :?

I've been to Lake Tahoe, and I didn't even think that was a National Park. I got the answer because I recalled Sausalito being a type of cookie.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That was painful to watch. I really thought the audience would have gotten that one easily. And Chris even tried to pressure her into answering correctly.

Erne is yet another crossword staple. I can't begin to tell you how many answers I get as a result of my crossword habit. I didn't know the Australian pizza, but I was going to have to go with the right answer. Lamb was tempting due to Australia's sheep population, but I didn't see it with mint jelly on it (a combination I otherwise love).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:05 pm That was painful to watch. I really thought the audience would have gotten that one easily. And Chris even tried to pressure her into answering correctly.

Erne is yet another crossword staple. I can't begin to tell you how many answers I get as a result of my crossword habit. I didn't know the Australian pizza, but I was going to have to go with the right answer. Lamb was tempting due to Australia's sheep population, but I didn't see it with mint jelly on it (a combination I otherwise love).
I wonder if Milano in the mix for the audience would have helped as I consider that the most likely known one. I get that Sausalito, Santa Cruz & Tahoe are not as likely to be helpful. I would have thought Chessmen was a dead giveaway, but I don't know how widespread the company's wares are known. As it played out I guess $3000 may not have been a fair value.

Yes, credit to crosswords for ERNE.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:17 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:05 pm That was painful to watch. I really thought the audience would have gotten that one easily. And Chris even tried to pressure her into answering correctly.

I wonder if Milano in the mix for the audience would have helped as I consider that the most likely known one. I get that Sausalito, Santa Cruz & Tahoe are not as likely to be helpful. I would have thought Chessmen was a dead giveaway, but I don't know how widespread the company's wares are known. As it played out I guess $3000 may not have been a fair value.

Yes, credit to crosswords for ERNE.
I only knew Sausalito for sure, figured Chessmen had to be a cookie type, but kept drifting back to the National Parks, knowing full well it couldn't be right!

I agree this was hard to watch. Felt so bad for that player! (sad clown)

I do x-words and don't recall ERNE. That question might have ended me
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 am I do x-words and don't recall ERNE. That question might have ended me
In the NYT crossword, it's been used about 150 times as either ERNE or ERN (although the latter tends to be clued as "directional suffix" more often than in an avian fashion) in the Shortz era (since 1993).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:17 pm Yes, credit to crosswords for ERNE.
I knew the word from crosswords, but not the animal type! Made me think fish. Glad it wasn't in my stack.