Thursday, January 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7919, 2019-01-31

CONTESTANTS
J.B. Evans, an attorney from Boise, Idaho
Meghan Schulz, an environmental engineer from Bristol, Pennsylvania
Joan Dietrich, a Montessori teacher from Sammamish, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Our champion, Joan, surprised herself winning yesterday, but she got a good category for herself, WOMEN WRITERS, and she was a major in English lit. Meghan and J.B., good to have you with us today, and good luck to all three of you. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? Let's see how well you do with these categories today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OFFICIAL STATE FOODS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DISASTER AVERTED (5/5)
MISCELLANEOUS (4/5)
I BEFORE E, AFTER C (4/5)
SCRIBBLING SIBLINGS (5/5)
THE SUPER BOWL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Meghan: 15 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Joan: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
J.B.: 4 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joan: $3,200
Meghan: $3,200
J.B.: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: J.B. Evans is an attorney from Boise, Idaho, who must have a very sharp daughter because she came up with a correct response to Final Jeopardy! when?

J.B.: This was when she was 4 years old, last year. The category was CHILDREN'S LITERATURE. We had just finished reading Charlotte's Web the week before, and she heard a little bit about a barnyard in Maine, and she watches the show with us every night. And she said, "Daddy! Charlotte's Web!" So we were very proud of her. Proud dad moment.

Alex: You bet. Way to go.

Alex: Meghan Schulz, from Bristol, Pennsylvania. Founding member of a particular kind of troupe. Tell me about it.

Meghan: The Old City Sweethearts. We're a vintage chorus girl dance troupe. So we do Charleston, early 20th century dances. We perform in music videos, at fundraisers, all kinds of stuff.

Alex: Wow, great.

Meghan: Mm-hm.

Alex:. Great way to socialize also.

Meghan: Mm-hm.

Alex: Joan Dietrich is our champion. She is from Washington state. You're a big fan, as you mentioned on yesterday's program, of the Vancouver Canucks.

Joan: That's right.

Alex: Your son attends university in Canada as well, right?

Joan: He does. That's my hometown as well.

Alex: Oh.

Joan: He's a fourth-generation engineer at the University of British Columbia from my family.

Alex: Okay, great.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
J.B. found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Joan had $4,000, Meghan had $3,200, and J.B. was at $800. J.B. wagered $1,000.

OFFICIAL STATE FOODS $400: Start spreading the news: New York has an official muffin that's made with this state fruit

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MISCELLANEOUS $400: Embodying virtue & chivalry, this Hindu deity is an avatar of Vishnu; an epic poem recount his "journey"

I BEFORE E, AFTER C $800: It's an Italian lawn bowling game
(Joan: Oh. No.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Meghan: $7,200
Joan: $4,400
J.B.: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BIO PICKED (3/5) (Alex: You have to identify the movie for a correct response.)
CLICHES (5/5)
1960s AMERICA (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I GOT THE WORLD ON A STRING (3/5)
"M.C." (5/5)
THE SUPERB OWL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
J.B.: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 4 W
Meghan: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Joan: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 6 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
J.B. snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Joan had $5,600, Meghan had $10,800, and J.B. was at $3,000. J.B. wagered $2,000.

1960s AMERICA $1200: He formed a Harvard psychedelic drug research program; he was dismissed by Harvard in 1963

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was J.B. who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Joan had $6,000, Meghan had $14,000, and J.B. was at $9,400. J.B. wagered $5,000.

THE SUPERB OWL $1200: The owl has traditionally been considered wise, as it was the bird of this Greek goddess

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BIO PICKED $1200: This 1962 film, based on a Broadway play, is about the woman seen here
(J.B.: What is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?)
(Meghan: What's The Unsinkable Molly Brown? Molly Brown?)

BIO PICKED $1600: The story of the man you see is told in this 1994 film with a soundtrack including the "Pastoral Symphony"
(Joan: Oh. What is Amadeus?)
(Alex: Beethoven, of course, and the film was [*].)

1960s AMERICA $400: Thanks to a gift from Nikita Khrushchev, this president enjoyed a litter of dogs nicknamed "pupniks"
(J.B.: Who is Nixon?)
(Joan: Who is Johnson?)

I GOT THE WORLD ON A STRING $1600: This instrument is a long-necked Greek lute; a bazooka makes a much different sound
(Joan: What's a balalaika?)

I GOT THE WORLD ON A STRING $2000: The Norwegian hardanger fiddle has 4 of these strings under the fingerboard that are not played
(Meghan: What are bass strings?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
J.B.: $14,400
Meghan: $14,000
Joan: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FEMALE SINGERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
J.B.: Wager $13,601 to cover Meghan. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $1,601.
Meghan: Your score is within 4/5ths of J.B.'s, so wager between $801 (venusian) and $1,999 (martian), beating J.B.'s maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Joan's part.
Joan: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Meghan, but if Meghan decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $5,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1990s this New York native had 8 of her first 10 Billboard Top 40 hits reach No. 1

FINAL SCORES
Joan: $6,000 + $1,500 = $7,500 (Who is Mariah Carey?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Meghan: $14,000 + $13,190 = $27,190 (Who is Mariah Carey?) (New champion: $27,190)
J.B.: $14,400 - $13,601 = $799 (Who is Houston) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Meghan: $14,000, 24 R, 4 W
J.B.: $9,200, 16 R (including 3 DDs), 6 W
Joan: $6,000, 13 R, 7 W
Combined Coryat: $29,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Meghan: 25/58 = .431
J.B.: 16/61 = .262
Joan: 14/58 = .241
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SCRIBBLING SIBLINGS $200: Aviation writer Robert Serling helped little bro Rod with "The Odyssey of Flight 33" episode of this series
(J.B.: What is Star Trek?)

MISCELLANEOUS $200: The South American members of the camel family are the alpaca, guanaco, vicuna & this pack animal
(Meghan: What is a donkey?)

DISASTER AVERTED $1000: The Calif. species of these birds is credited with flying in to gorge on crickets & save the crops of Utah pioneers in 1847
(Meghan: What is a condor?)

OFFICIAL STATE FOODS $600: This tangy dessert is a state food of Florida

MISCELLANEOUS $600: This title for a Buddhist priest means "superior one"; the Panchen one heads the Tashi Lhunpo monastery
(J.B.: What is a monk?)

MISCELLANEOUS $1000: In a 1950s ad slogan, this hyphenated term preceded "Avon calling"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

I BEFORE E, AFTER C $1000: Spanish word for a farming estate; some are now luxury destinations

"M.C." $400: The half of a credit card receipt that goes to the establishment you've patronized
(Joan: What's the master copy?)

BIO PICKED $400: The man seen here is depicted in this 2010 film set largely at Harvard
(Joan: Who is Zuckerberg?)

BIO PICKED $800: This movie bio of the singer shown has a 3-word title & was nominated for 5 Oscars
(Alex: Johnny Cash.)

BIO PICKED $2000: The woman seen here is the subject of this 1980 film about a rise to musical fame

1960s AMERICA $1600: In 1969 the trial regarding this "numeric" group began at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
(Joan: Who is the Group of Seven?)

CLICHES $1200: The image here illustrates this cliche about a gift unappreciated
(J.B.: What is swine before pearls?)

THE SUPERB OWL $2000: These owl parts don't move but still can make up 5% of the bird's body weight; humans' make up about 0.02%
(J.B.: What are talons?)

I GOT THE WORLD ON A STRING $1200: The valiha from this large African island nation is a tubular zither traditionally made from bamboo
(Alex: And we have less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
an apple
Rama
boccie
Tim Leary
Athena
The Miracle Worker
immortal Beloved
John F. Kennedy
a bouzouki
sympathetic strings
Mariah Carey
The Twilight Zone
a llama
a (California) gull
key lime pie
a lama
ding-dong
a hacienda
the merchant copy
The Social Network
Walk the Line
Coal Miner's Daughter
the Chicago Seven (or Chicago Eight)
pearls before swine
eyes
Madagascar
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FEMALE SINGERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1990s this New York native had 8 of her first 10 Billboard Top 40 hits reach No. 1

Joan Dietrich: 6000+1500=7500
Meghan Schulz: 14000+13190=27190 (New Champ)
J.B. Evans: 14400-13601=799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mariah Carey (J.B. – Houston)

Daily Doubles
J.B. 800+1000
J.B. 3000+2000
J.B. 9400+5000

Coryats
Joan: 6000
Meghan: 14000
J.B.: 9200

Combined: 29,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Joan: 4400
Meghan: 7200
J.B.: 3000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

J.B. needed all three DDs to eke out the lead for the FJ! round. Alex clowned him on DD2 after J.B. bet 2000. "That will put you in 3rd place still..."

After clue 1 when J.B. had the wrong TV show my thought was, "Okay, Joan or Meghan will win today." J.B. had a chance to prove me wrong and then the game finished with J.B. writing, "Who is Houston." J.B., We've got a problem. It will be awful for J.B. as his miss is on the kind of clue that friends, family, co-workers and neighbors will know or claim to have known.

I only wrote the correct name and spent think time wondering who could be a wrong guess. Alicia Keys occurred to me for NY if someone went off by a decade.

Meghan was the best on buzzer and material so all things work out in the end.

January games are over and the month had 3 players hit the tracker. The list is going to get messy if that trend continues through the remainder of the season. It won't happen in Feb. with the All-Stars on for the final seven days.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I BEFORE E, AFTER C $800 should have never seen the light of day, or did the writers just not realize that practically the only two sources which use the C-I-E spelling of that word are two dictionaries? There are going to be a lot of justifiably angry people online tonight.

That said: MISCELLANEOUS had a fun thing going that people might have noticed more had the category been taken entirely in order.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:22 am I BEFORE E, AFTER C $800 should have never seen the light of day, or did the writers just not realize that practically the only two sources which use the C-I-E spelling of that word are two dictionaries? There are going to be a lot of justifiably angry people online tonight.

That said: MISCELLANEOUS had a fun thing going that people might have noticed more had the category been taken entirely in order.
The $800 clue made clam as I only knew the 5-letter spelling. Boo to the writers.

Yes, MISCELLANEOUS was not an expected place to see the responses connected.

The editor seemed to have to work hard to make the DJ! round fit for time as a clue calling amount seemed to have been clipped. The powers knew no one wanted the game to end after clue 29 with DD3 still hiding. The last clue playing padded Meghan's winnings nicely.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

What were the Final Jeopardy! wagers? Thanks. --Bob
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:51 pm What were the Final Jeopardy! wagers? Thanks. --Bob
Fixed.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I got the boccie clue right, but I've never seen it spelled that way and I'm not sure I would've taken the chance on stage. It's easy to take $800 WAGs sitting at home.

Not sure why Alex warned J.B. that they were 'running out of time' with no clues left after the DD, or insinuated that him being from Idaho had anything to do with him missing FJ.

Instaget FJ.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:20 am I only wrote the correct name and spent think time wondering who could be a wrong guess. Alicia Keys occurred to me for NY if someone went off by a decade.
Only potential wrong answer that came to my mind was JLo, but...no friggin' way.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I mis-pavloved "scary season" in Disaster Averted for $200 and guessed Halloween. Oops.

Funny how both "llama" and "Lama" were correct responses in the J! round.

Can't say I've heard of a "concierge" before. Clammed on the Italian lawn bowling game because I've only ever seen it spelled "bocce", never "boccie". A quick Google search seems to support my spelling far more highly than theirs.

NHO "merchant copy" either. That seemed very generational. What kind of backward Luddite business is still handing out paper receipts in 2019?!

Got Walk the Line, but not Coal Miner's Daughter. The face and clue were too generic for me to zoom in on Loretta Lynn, though I do know the film enough to pin it to a 1980 release.

All but "go pound sand" in Cliches and screech in owls.

Just like yesterday, today's clue was extremely vague and open-ended. I had nothing except "not Celine Dion". Could've been any of the 847,000 females who were big in the 90s.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm Could've been any of the 847,000 females who were big in the 90s.
Or, you know, the person who's had 18 #1 hits? Sometimes you've gotta know things.
Andy Saunders
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:22 am I BEFORE E, AFTER C $800 should have never seen the light of day, or did the writers just not realize that practically the only two sources which use the C-I-E spelling of that word are two dictionaries? There are going to be a lot of justifiably angry people online tonight.
Thought that clue seemed off, I was ready to admit either apparent mental fatigue or simply not knowing that was the spelling. Glad I'm not losing my mind just yet, and thanks for pointing that out.

Tally me among those thinking J.B. was done for early on. Good on him to get back into the game late, and congrats to the new champ as well.

Instaget Final for me; 3/4 so far this week.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:59 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm Could've been any of the 847,000 females who were big in the 90s.
Or, you know, the person who's had 18 #1 hits? Sometimes you've gotta know things.
And the only Mariah Carey song I can actually name is not one of them, so clearly none of the rest are worth anything except chart trivia.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:11 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:59 pm
And the only Mariah Carey song I can actually name is not one of them, so clearly none of the rest are worth anything except chart trivia.
Don't discount an amazing voice just because you only listen to one genre of music.
Andy Saunders
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Can we all collectively BOO the cheating New England Cheating Traitors?

Also eww Ben Rapistberger

After last week's SNL, I can only say "Nawlins" now. Also, boo the cheating Nawlins Cheating Satans.

Jon Gruden's comeback might be the worst idea in professional football since Up With People.

I have literally never seen it spelled "boccie."

Joan got away with it again: the clue was asking for Loretta Lynn, not the name of the film.

Coryat: $42,800

J: 25R4P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on Super Bowl. 4/5 on everything else (my wrong response was in Disasters, where I, too, reflexively said Condor)

DJ: 27R2P1W. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Bio Picked, Cliches, 1960s America, and World on a String. 4/5 on M.C. 3/5 on Owl (ears instead of eyes)

FJ: I wanted to go Britney Spears, then remembered she was from down south, so I settled on Mariah Carey. Who I remembered was A Person Who Existed solely because I still had the "M.C." category in my mind.

LT: The Miracle Worker, Immortal Beloved, JFK, bouzuki, sympathetic strings
Last edited by Euphonium on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:32 am The $800 clue made clam as I only knew the 5-letter spelling. Boo to the writers.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure from her response that Joan did what I did: saw "Italian lawn bowling," thought "bocce," then remembered the category.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Fun coincidence:

When the "M.C." category was revealed, I tried to make a precall. I shouted out "Mariah Carey!"
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Lach Trash: The Miracle Worker, John F. Kennedy

Instaget FJ.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

trebek is such a douche....because someone is from idaho they shouldn't know that mariah carey is from new york? wtf does the state from which someone hails have to do with not getting that clue?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:37 pm I got the boccie clue right, but I've never seen it spelled that way and I'm not sure I would've taken the chance on stage. It's easy to take $800 WAGs sitting at home.

Not sure why Alex warned J.B. that they were 'running out of time' with no clues left after the DD, or insinuated that him being from Idaho had anything to do with him missing FJ.

Instaget FJ.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:20 am I only wrote the correct name and spent think time wondering who could be a wrong guess. Alicia Keys occurred to me for NY if someone went off by a decade.
Only potential wrong answer that came to my mind was JLo, but...no friggin' way.

my take away from the game as well...i really despise that dude