Thursday, January 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, January 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:11 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:04 pm 54 R (Missed Farrelly, Gull(Also negged with Condor.), Rothlisberger, John Gruben, Merchant Copy, and Sympathetic Strings.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rama, Boccie, The Miracle Worker, Immortal Beloved, John F. Kennedy, Bouzouki
If J! ever did football QB & coaches spelling it looks like you would be in a world of trouble. ;)
"Who is Gruben?"
"Oooh, sorry!"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:25 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:04 pm 54 R (Missed Farrelly, Gull(Also negged with Condor.), Rothlisberger, John Gruben, Merchant Copy, and Sympathetic Strings.)
LT: Rama, Boccie, The Miracle Worker, Immortal Beloved, John F. Kennedy, Bouzouki
If J! ever did football QB & coaches spelling it looks like you would be in a world of trouble. ;)
"Who is Gruben?"
"Oooh, sorry!"
That'll make someone's face red
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 pm
"Who is Gruben?"
"Oooh, sorry!"
Rereading this he's saying he missed that one, so as Alex would say "no harm, no foul." :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 pm
"Who is Gruben?"
"Oooh, sorry!"
Rereading this he's saying he missed that one, so as Alex would say "no harm, no foul." :D
(It was also a reference to Deadspin's Gruden gimmick: https://deadspin.com/tag/jon-gruden ...maybe too obscure?)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:26 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 pm

"Who is Gruben?"
"Oooh, sorry!"
(It was also a reference to Deadspin's Gruden gimmick: https://deadspin.com/tag/jon-gruden ...maybe too obscure?)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

gruden
davey

Post by davey »

I'll grant that neither Molly Brown nor Virginia Woolf looked unlike that picture of Annie Sullivan, but the responses to that clue in Bio Picked made me laugh....I wouldn't mind seeing a movie called The Unsinkable Molly Drowned...and please know if you don't already that Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is not in any way about Virginia Woolf... :lol:

I had no problem getting the boccie clue...I know I've seen it that way, maybe in crossword puzzles? - but it's interesting that Wikipedia calls it an anglicization. I checked the Italian Wikipedia bocce article and it doesn't mention that alternate spelling at all...

Pop music is not my thing, so I came nowhere near Mariah Carey - my closest guess was Cyndi Lauper... :oops:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm I'll grant that neither Molly Brown nor Virginia Woolf looked unlike that picture of Annie Sullivan, but the responses to that clue in Bio Picked made me laugh....I wouldn't mind seeing a movie called The Unsinkable Molly Drowned...and please know if you don't already that Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is not in any way about Virginia Woolf... :lol:
If I may make a morbid joke: "Molly Drowned" could be a nickname for Virginia Woolf.
davey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm I had no problem getting the boccie clue...I know I've seen it that way, maybe in crossword puzzles? - but it's interesting that Wikipedia calls it an anglicization. I checked the Italian Wikipedia bocce article and it doesn't mention that alternate spelling at all...
Why would the Italian article have any need to mention an anglicization?
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:18 pm
davey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm I'll grant that neither Molly Brown nor Virginia Woolf looked unlike that picture of Annie Sullivan, but the responses to that clue in Bio Picked made me laugh....I wouldn't mind seeing a movie called The Unsinkable Molly Drowned...and please know if you don't already that Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is not in any way about Virginia Woolf... :lol:
If I may make a morbid joke: "Molly Drowned" could be a nickname for Virginia Woolf.
davey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm I had no problem getting the boccie clue...I know I've seen it that way, maybe in crossword puzzles? - but it's interesting that Wikipedia calls it an anglicization. I checked the Italian Wikipedia bocce article and it doesn't mention that alternate spelling at all...
Since the Italian article doesn't mention it, it tends to prove the point...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:02 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:18 pm
Since the Italian article doesn't mention it, it tends to prove the point...
Okay, I was wrongly inferring "Wikipedia calls it an anglicization, and yet Italian Wikipedia doesn't mention it."
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm I'll grant that neither Molly Brown nor Virginia Woolf looked unlike that picture of Annie Sullivan, but the responses to that clue in Bio Picked made me laugh....
I thought it was more likely a picture of Helen Keller, as pictures of Annie Sullivan that are shown usually include her distinctive dark glasses (she was visually impaired herself and very sensitive to light).
It seemed a poor choice for a photo without more TOM in the clue. I've seen numerous pictures of both Sullivan and Keller (albeit not recently) and I couldn't figure from the picture who it was in the time given.
davey

Post by davey »

periwinkle wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am
davey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm I'll grant that neither Molly Brown nor Virginia Woolf looked unlike that picture of Annie Sullivan, but the responses to that clue in Bio Picked made me laugh....
I thought it was more likely a picture of Helen Keller, as pictures of Annie Sullivan that are shown usually include her distinctive dark glasses (she was visually impaired herself and very sensitive to light).
It seemed a poor choice for a photo without more TOM in the clue. I've seen numerous pictures of both Sullivan and Keller (albeit not recently) and I couldn't figure from the picture who it was in the time given.
You're right, good catch, it was Helen Keller...Though I'm not finding many pictures of Sullivan with glasses, except as played by Anne Bancroft...Keller and Sullivan do look alike...or not unlike, as I said about the other guesses...

I knew it immediately, even thinking of the title character instead of Keller.
Last edited by davey on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Serious question: are any of Mariah Carey's #1 hits enduring songs in the long run, or are they known more as chart trivia?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:34 pm Serious question: are any of Mariah Carey's #1 hits enduring songs in the long run, or are they known more as chart trivia?
"Hero" comes up all the time on singing competition shows.

Not #1, but "All I Want for Christmas is You" is an unavoidable December staple.

Whether anyone likes the songs or not, or feels they have had lasting power, for a woman with a bunch of #1 chart success in the 1990s that is Mariah Carey. That is what mattered for the clue.

I don't care about Shakespeare plays, but I understand how they are still in play for games show questions.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

davey wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 pm
periwinkle wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am
You're right, good catch, it was Helen Keller...Though I'm not finding many pictures of Sullivan with glasses, except as played by Anne Bancroft...Keller and Sullivan do look alike...or not unlike, as I said about the other guesses...

I knew it immediately, even thinking of the title character instead of Keller.
I was remembering bios of Annie Sullivan that had photos of her with glasses (I read several in my twenties when I was very interested in her). Those photos may not be the more googleable one.