Alex retiring

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Re: Alex retiring

Post by thejeopardyfan »

iowabelle wrote:I would so hate Tom Bergeron as the Jeopardy! host. I can't watch DWTS because of all his lame jokes.
I would hate him as host too, but I haven't come up with someone that makes me go, "THAT'S IT!!" To me, Bergeron always looks like he thinks he's so funny. And guys like that usually aren't. I do like Marc Summers, though. That's thinking outside the box.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I've seen suggested on other web sites (but not here), Jimmy McGuire of the Clue Crew. He hosted the rehearsal game in Washington.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

Back in 1996, Tom Bergeron hosted a short-lived morning show when the Fox Network thought they could compete with Today and Good Morning America. I remember finding him a welcome change from the established morning crew of the other networks. He was funny and laid back and willing to take chances. I expect that was because he knew for a fact that very few people were watching the show.

Anyway, I thought he did just as good a job hosting Hollywood Squares as Peter Marshall and I think he'd do the same with Jeopardy!

As for lame jokes--during the patter break, Alex Trebek did an imitation of Cary Grant saying "Judy, Judy, Judy," (which we all know, though often quoted, was never actually said by Cary Grant). I have been hearing that all my life and I have grown to hate it. Alex gets a pass, of course. But it's still lame.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

silverscreentest wrote:I've seen suggested on other web sites (but not here), Jimmy McGuire of the Clue Crew. He hosted the rehearsal game in Washington.

I bet Jimmy would love the job and he's probably had more practice at it than anyone other than Alex. I think he would make a good replacement and provide continuity from the Trebek years. And at 46 now (older than I thought), he's young enough to be considered.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

okstater04 wrote:Aisha Tyler? Did well on Celebrity Jeopardy!, and would add that female perspective that Vanya wants.
Oooooh! I love this! (Although, I'm not sure that Vanya and I want a female host for the same reasons....) Tyler is young and personable and will attract a new demographic. Ultimately, this decision will be entirely about ratings, but I really like the idea of a host who is actually smart.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Of course I'd watch the show no matter who is hosting (And of course if Alex changed his mind and wants to host for 10 more years, I'd be happy too. BTW, mod, I agree, can we get this thread title changed to something like "Who might be the next host after Alex?")

Anyway I'm sure Jimmy from the Clue Crew would do fine. But I'll be honest and say that choice doesn't excite me and I don't really expect it to happen. He doesn't really get a chance to show any personality in those clue crew clips, does he?

I think the three that I'm liking right now are Jeff Probst, Anderson Cooper, and Dennis Miller. Not that those are necessarily the most likely, but I'd approve of those picks.

If they're gonna pick someone lesser known... how about this guy?

Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

I really wanted to be on that show when I was younger. Also really wanted to be on
though I don't think Kirk Fogg would make a particularly good J! host.

Then, after answering the Daily Double, you make your way to the Shriiiiiine of the Silver Monkey...Assemble the body and then tell me about this person, the only original member of Monty Python no longer living...
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

omgwheelhouse wrote:Of course I'd watch the show no matter who is hosting (And of course if Alex changed his mind and wants to host for 10 more years, I'd be happy too. BTW, mod, I agree, can we get this thread title changed to something like "Who might be the next host after Alex?")

Anyway I'm sure Jimmy from the Clue Crew would do fine. But I'll be honest and say that choice doesn't excite me and I don't really expect it to happen. He doesn't really get a chance to show any personality in those clue crew clips, does he?

I think the three that I'm liking right now are Jeff Probst, Anderson Cooper, and Dennis Miller. Not that those are necessarily the most likely, but I'd approve of those picks.

If they're gonna pick someone lesser known... how about this guy?

Sorry, but I think that Dennis Miller would be a terrible choice. Hard to imagine him keeping a game moving without feeling the need to interject too much of his own verbiage.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Where...in the world is....CARMEN SANDIEGO?

Mike O'Malley - hosted "Guts" with ease. He could even turn to Mo for judges' rulings. Youtube it.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Ahh Mike O'Malley, he would definitely bring a good "everyman" quality. And the Aggro Crag definitely trumps Final Jeopardy as a game show ending segment. That thing was all skill.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Doug527 wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:My thought on Alex's replacement: Neil Patrick Harris.
Not sure if this is sarcastic or not...but I don't disapprove of this at all. He's an excellent awards show presenter and while it might be rocky off the bat (some of those clues are darn tough to pronounce!), I think he'd hit his stride. And I think this would also help draw in the cohort of younger viewers.
I agree. Plus, he's no dummy. A few years ago, Regis hosted Million Dollar Password, and NPH was superb. He seems to very bright and literate, and he is personable and entertaining.
Peggles

Post by Peggles »

alietr wrote:I'm guessing NPH makes a lot more for How I Met Your Mother than Alex does for Jeopardy!.

You're probably right. But he might be able to do both - the way Meredith did both Millionaire and Today.
Peggles

Post by Peggles »

omgwheelhouse wrote:Image

What about this guy? He'd be awesome.

Noooooooooooo!
Peggles

Post by Peggles »

legendneverdies wrote:
iowabelle wrote:I would so hate Tom Bergeron as the Jeopardy! host. I can't watch DWTS because of all his lame jokes.
He really did a respectable job on Squares, even Peter Marshall said he did(though he didn't like the production of the show in the WHoopi years, he did appear in the 2002-03 season as the Center Square for a week of game show people when Henry Winkler became the producer)
He filled in for Meredith for a week on Millionaire, and was very good. I agree, though, that his age works against him. I would think that Sony would want someone for the long haul.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Hey! Since when does being JBoarder of the Month entitle you to unlimited posting privileges? ;)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

In my view the biggest consideration for a new host is the quality of the voice, a tone that is full, distinctive, and measured without calling too much attention to itself. Alex is a master of his voice. Peter Thomas, who does Forensic Files, has a great voice but he is in his mid eighties. Peter Coyote has a great voice for the Burns documentaries, I'd love to hear him read an FJ.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Peggles wrote:
alietr wrote:I'm guessing NPH makes a lot more for How I Met Your Mother than Alex does for Jeopardy!.

You're probably right. But he might be able to do both - the way Meredith did both Millionaire and Today.

And HIMYM is probably going to be ending shortly before Alex finishes his 30th year. NPH is going to be in need of a job!
Peggles

Post by Peggles »

alietr wrote:Hey! Since when does being JBoarder of the Month entitle you to unlimited posting privileges? ;)
I'm just creating opportunities to show off my beautiful great-niece Samantha. ;)
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I wouldn't mind seeing a former contestant returning to host: Brad or Ken has been mentioned. Tom Kunzen and Roger Craig are two of my favorites and I'd love to see one of them host.
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

I'd love it if Jeff Probst was the host. Ben Stein would be a funny host, too. I've never seen an episode of Rock and Roll Jeopardy, so I can't tell if Jeff had a good voice for Jeopardy. Dennis Miller would be funny, but probably not Jeopardy material. I'm sure the producers have a target already, it's just going to be hard to see a Trebekless Jeopardy. And it'd also be odd to be the last winner of Trebek Jeopardy and then have to play the next season with a new host. I'm hoping they have another Ultimate ToC-esque tournament to end the Trebek era, that'd be a fun send off.