Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm I understand if all you want to do is take the test and have no desire to be on the show, but if you want to be on, then why not? I've gone to many auditions, have been on two shows, and every time, they take/want your picture to go with the application. Saying no to putting up a picture is a sure way to ruin your chances of getting on the show.
If they actually invite me to an audition then sure, they can have one. If not, then they don't need one.
And there are going to be tens of thousands of applicants who will follow the show's directions without question. And, considering, "being able to follow instructions" is important for them...

I ddin't see anywhere where he implied he was trying to get around their requirements or not follow the rules. The site literally won't allow you to register for the test without a picture, so he's simply opting out. Fair enough.
Then why not just go with “I’m not taking the test” like a normal sane person would respond

Never mind, I see I just answered that one myself.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:48 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm I understand if all you want to do is take the test and have no desire to be on the show, but if you want to be on, then why not? I've gone to many auditions, have been on two shows, and every time, they take/want your picture to go with the application. Saying no to putting up a picture is a sure way to ruin your chances of getting on the show.
If they actually invite me to an audition then sure, they can have one. If not, then they don't need one.
And there are going to be tens of thousands of applicants who will follow the show's directions without question. And, considering, "being able to follow instructions" is important for them...

I ddin't see anywhere where he implied he was trying to get around their requirements or not follow the rules. The site literally won't allow you to register for the test without a picture, so he's simply opting out. Fair enough.
Then why not just go with “I’m not taking the test” like a normal sane person would respond

Never mind, I see I just answered that one myself.

because sometimes people want to voice their disgruntlement
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I rarely watch the show anymore because of having to work 2 jobs and am thus really rusty, but of course I am going to try for a third audition.

Best of luck to all the hopefuls!
goongas

Post by goongas »

I know I am a day late, but today is the second day in a row NYC got rejected for a major event that was anticipated :D
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

immaf wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 am This is odd. I registered for the test, but when I got the confirmation email it said
Thanks for registering for the Jeopardy! Online Test! We don't have a date for the next test yet, but we will keep you informed via email as soon as it is announced.
Yet the website clearly says that the next test will be on April 9th, 10th, and 11th.
I got the same response - weird. I emailed them to double-check that my name is on the list.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

gamawire wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:26 am
immaf wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 am This is odd. I registered for the test, but when I got the confirmation email it said
Thanks for registering for the Jeopardy! Online Test! We don't have a date for the next test yet, but we will keep you informed via email as soon as it is announced.
Yet the website clearly says that the next test will be on April 9th, 10th, and 11th.
I got the same response - weird. I emailed them to double-check that my name is on the list.
You can see if you’re registered on your profile page. I’m registered but my audition city is still pending because I’m having a meltdown about making a decision! Then I’ll have to decide on which night to show up for the test!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

My thoughts on the profile photo requirement for people who want to audition but don’t feel comfortable posting their image:
1. Write to Jeopardy! for an explanation
2. Upload a photo of anything else
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 pm
Magna wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:57 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 amI don't understand all the wingeing about the photo requirement. You can use one of my photos if you want:
Or the marathon-running clown.
Did you ever get your photo in the mail? You didn’t give me your last name, understandable given my criminal record
Yep, got it - thanks!

The name's Doodle. Magna Doodle. But you can call me Mr. Doodle.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:42 am My thoughts on the profile photo requirement for people who want to audition but don’t feel comfortable posting their image:
1. Write to Jeopardy! for an explanation
2. Upload a photo of anything else
but then they will find out that it isn't an authentic picture of the would be contestant and disqualify them for not abiding by their lame rules, i am sure
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:24 am I can't think of any good reason why they would want a photo when you register unless they intend on using it during the selection process. This seems wrong. Okay, it's a TV show and I understand they would like telegenic contestants but it is so very contrary to the J! ethos.

On the bright side, I think a side effect it that it will reduce the number of people taking the test.
I'm cynical enough to think that people who aren't telegenic from their photos will not get called for an in-person audition regardless of their online test scores. I'm also paranoid enough to wonder why I haven't been called for an in-person audition in the online testing era despite getting scores that meet the presumptive passing score.

Nevertheless, I will comply (partly because I don't think that I would fail the telegenic test, although I'm certainly not in the TV handsome category).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

georgespelvin wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:54 am
heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:24 am I can't think of any good reason why they would want a photo when you register unless they intend on using it during the selection process. This seems wrong. Okay, it's a TV show and I understand they would like telegenic contestants but it is so very contrary to the J! ethos.

On the bright side, I think a side effect it that it will reduce the number of people taking the test.
I'm cynical enough to think that people who aren't telegenic from their photos will not get called for an in-person audition regardless of their online test scores. I'm also paranoid enough to wonder why I haven't been called for an in-person audition in the online testing era despite getting scores that meet the presumptive passing score.

Nevertheless, I will comply (partly because I don't think that I would fail the telegenic test, although I'm certainly not in the TV handsome category).
Maybe I have a hack for you (or whomever) ;) . I didn't have a small image available but I clicked on one from my desktop sight unseen with me and my nephew doing a posedown. I figured I'd get to crop it or resize it, but whoosh, it is there now. Technically, I am in the photo and it was not a deliberate attempt to avoid compliance. Caveat- I'm not trying to be on the show, I just want to take the live test as well as the re-plays from OQ later.

I am doubtful that this is a "screen test" for anybody. They may just be looking for a little more commitment from participants in the online test. I wonder how many auditions they call that are turned down or stood up?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

RJRouge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 pm I can only hope I do as well as I've done the past few years, but also get through the random selection afterward for the auditions. My luck, however, is abysmal.
I'm curious to compare. Between 2009 and 2017, inclusive, I passed a J! online contestant quiz seven times without getting an invitation to an audition.

I finally broke the string last year, when I passed again in the spring and made it to an audition in June.

How does your record compare with that?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:32 pm
RJRouge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 pm I can only hope I do as well as I've done the past few years, but also get through the random selection afterward for the auditions. My luck, however, is abysmal.
I'm curious to compare. Between 2009 and 2017, inclusive, I passed a J! online contestant quiz seven times without getting an invitation to an audition.

I finally broke the string last year, when I passed again in the spring and made it to an audition in June.

Ten passing scores, zero auditions
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

I guess I've been spoiled, but I'm a little annoyed that neither NYC or Philadelphia are audition cities. I've been on three previous auditions and they've all been in Manhattan. I hope they're not tired of people from my area being on the show.
earendel

Post by earendel »

For what it's worth, if you log into the site using Facebook it will automatically use your cover photo, but you can upload a different one.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Yowzah! Have you considered cash inducements to the CCs?
Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kingrat47 »

georgespelvin wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:54 am

Counterpoint: I am not particularly photogenic and submitted a less than great picture for my profile, and then broke a long string of passes without a callback. I think at the "picking auditioneers" stage it really is random. After that, you start getting into who plays well on TV.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

John Boy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:16 am
triviawayne wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Yowzah! Have you considered cash inducements to the CCs?
we know some from the show lurk about...I believe I've made my bribe announcements here in the past, but it is a random draw, and that is my downfall.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

I simply uploaded the most convenient photo of myself that I could reach in a few clicks. I happened to be wearing a suit and tie though the photo was a few (maybe 5?) years old.

I briefly considered uploading a photo of my collection of J! pens from the years. I don't have one from every time I did the in-person test since back at the time of my first in-person test in 1985 (yes, really!), they didn't have those pens. Though Alex did show up to talk to the potential contestants and take questions while the contestant coordinators graded the tests in the back of the room by hand. The online tests didn't start until more than two decades later. Back then, one would send in postcards which were randomly picked to choose the invitees. And then one took a test, tests were graded while Alex chatted with the potential contestants and then the contestant coordinators called out the names of those who passed the test (usually about 20% of those in the room) and showing the others the door.

Later (maybe sometime in the 90s or so), one would send in an email rather than send postcards. That ruined my near certain strategy for getting an in-person audition. In 1985, I had 1,000 postcards (postage was a lot lower then) printed with the necessary information which led to three invitations of which I could only accept one. Later, I cut that back to 300 which was still enough.

Now that I think about it, could this be a reasonable contestant story?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

slam wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:24 pm Now that I think about it, could this be a reasonable contestant story?
Maybe for someone who actually gets on the show! :lol: