Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by acthomas »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:31 pm I do appreciate that they've mostly gone back to basics with the format. But Chris Harrison is so dry and uncharismatic that.. okay, he's SLIGHTLY better than Ty Treadway, I won't go that far.
YMMV on whether or not you like a host on TV, but I can personally attest that in-studio, Chris Harrison does a fantastic job. He sets the right tone for the contestants and the audience and almost never makes you feel stupid (unless you really, really ask for it.)

It is, however, tough to escape the gaze of his steely blue eyes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:42 pm ...

Polar opposites during the special week with $30k and $100k winners, and a few early exits with $5k. Looking forward to regular games again on Monday.
2/18 begins Play It Forward week with news anchors playing for charity. It's sweeps for not the usual time for regular play. At least the contestants should have pleasant voices.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I’m in the audience for some of the Play it Forward games this week, sitting with Lee Ann Roberts and Jeff Richmond. I have no idea if we were ever on camera, but I’ll be watching for me! It’s been over six months so I have very few memories of any of the players or questions I saw but maybe I’ll remember them when I see them.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:31 pm I do appreciate that they've mostly gone back to basics with the format. But Chris Harrison is so dry and uncharismatic that.. okay, he's SLIGHTLY better than Ty Treadway, I won't go that far.
YMMV on whether or not you like a host on TV, but I can personally attest that in-studio, Chris Harrison does a fantastic job. He sets the right tone for the contestants and the audience and almost never makes you feel stupid (unless you really, really ask for it.)

It is, however, tough to escape the gaze of his steely blue eyes.
Different strokes I guess. He comes across as very robotic to me on every episode I've seen. I don't think I saw him smile or even attempt an ad-lib once.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This board has a bunch of smilies available when making a post. More than half of them would apply to the 2/19 episode.
PsycPhdStudent
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by PsycPhdStudent »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:18 am
PsycPhdStudent wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am My episode airs today. Not my finest moment— fire away with criticism
Congrats for adding some more coin to the bank, Colby! You went out on a question that was only really obvious (to me) in retrospect. Cool shirt. I've been to Memphis a bunch of times for work. Great story, huh? ;)
I have an entire closet of Aloha-ware from my residency in Hawaii. Was much more comfortable in the Vegas heat than if I had been wearing a suit. If you ever make it back to Memphis for work, send me a message and we can hit up a local trivia night.
PsycPhdStudent
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by PsycPhdStudent »

threearruda wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 pm
Spoiler
I could tell you looked a little flustered, thanks for your insights on that regard. Without the 50/50, I likely would have guessed the same way you ultimately did at $10k, but Carter makes sense in hindsight. Sorry that things did not work out as I'm sure you hoped; just know that anyone who can post a $20k Coryat on J! is a good trivia mind, no matter what else happens!
Appreciate the kind words. My Plus 1 also had a 20k+ Coryat day. He took the test the day of taping, passed, and then in the last week of taping received a call asking if he could tape in Vegas the next day. Needless to say, it didn't work out with his schedule. I'm hoping Millionaire is renewed, that he is able to get on, and that I can be his +1 and get some revenge/redemption.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4985
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Krysal Allan - Holy cow, she was lucky to walk with what she did. I was groaning way too much on those.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

RE: Krystal Allan - Thankful I watched through the DVR yesterday. I've gathered that Millionaire specialty weeks tend to be a bit lackluster historically, so hopefully things will turn around.
PsycPhdStudent wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:09 pm
Appreciate the kind words. My Plus 1 also had a 20k+ Coryat day. He took the test the day of taping, passed, and then in the last week of taping received a call asking if he could tape in Vegas the next day. Needless to say, it didn't work out with his schedule. I'm hoping Millionaire is renewed, that he is able to get on, and that I can be his +1 and get some revenge/redemption.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4985
Oh wow, I didn't even make that connection! Judging by the increased discussion surrounding the show this season and the high quality of contestants, I suspect we'll see the show for at least a few more years, so I hope to see you both again in the near future!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

these news people on this week are worse than the celebrities that are on celebrity jeopardy...didn't think that was really possible
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

threearruda wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:09 pm Judging by the increased discussion surrounding the show this season and the high quality of contestants, I suspect we'll see the show for at least a few more years, so I hope to see you both again in the near future!
Actually, the most recent news I read indicated it was at risk of cancellation, unfortunately.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:49 pm
threearruda wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:09 pm Judging by the increased discussion surrounding the show this season and the high quality of contestants, I suspect we'll see the show for at least a few more years, so I hope to see you both again in the near future!
Actually, the most recent news I read indicated it was at risk of cancellation, unfortunately.
maybe pointless will finally be brought to usa markets
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Sheesh I need to stop saying stuff out of my.. whatever. Thanks for the correction, very unfortunate to hear. I know it was almost cancelled in 2015, but this is the first news I've heard recently about its future. Good to keep in mind, seems as if discussion could be interesting in a few months.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

threearruda wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:03 pm
Sheesh I need to stop saying stuff out of my.. whatever. Thanks for the correction, very unfortunate to hear. I know it was almost cancelled in 2015, but this is the first news I've heard recently about its future. Good to keep in mind, seems as if discussion could be interesting in a few months.
The same reason this show was saved a few years ago may be the same reason this show gets saved again.

Right now a talk show is under consideration to replace Millionaire. While that may still happen, Millionaire may still live on for three reasons:

1. it does get good daytime ratings, usually around a 1.6, so it is being watched

2. it is cheap to produce, so it is profitible and that always matters more than quality of programming. Launching a new talk show is a big risk

the third reason is the most important, something we learned from the Sony hack. If Disney were to stop making the show, they would lose all rights to make the show in the future to Sony. I don't know if Sony would have to wait any length of time to make new episodes, but they would own the show in the USA and could bring it back any time (although they are not allowed to use the shuffle format, that would stay with Disney who could make a new show with that format and call it something else).

This show is still a valuable property, and all Disney needs to do is keep cranking out episodes and put it on their 8 O&O stations to keep the rights. I don't know if there is a minimum number of episodes/airings in the agreement, but they would likely do a minimum job of keeping this show going.

ETA: I could be missing a few details, but this is the basics
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Are they still asking the banal "Which celebrity used to work at Family Dollar?" type questions? I have no idea how they expect anyone to know that kind of stuff. There's no way to reason it out either if you don't know it outright. And that IMO is always one of the fascinating things about WWTBaM, is seeing the contestant "talk out" a question.

At least most of the questions can be reasoned out if you don't know them outright. For instance, the first episode I found on YouTube, one of the questions asked for a painting style that's known as aquarelle in French. Obviously not a lot of people are going to know that outright, but I saw "aqua" in the word, and figured it had to be B.) watercolors, final answer.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:00 pm Are they still asking the banal "Which celebrity used to work at Family Dollar?" type questions? I have no idea how they expect anyone to know that kind of stuff. There's no way to reason it out either if you don't know it outright. And that IMO is always one of the fascinating things about WWTBaM, is seeing the contestant "talk out" a question.

At least most of the questions can be reasoned out if you don't know them outright. For instance, the first episode I found on YouTube, one of the questions asked for a painting style that's known as aquarelle in French. Obviously not a lot of people are going to know that outright, but I saw "aqua" in the word, and figured it had to be B.) watercolors, final answer.
How the hell are you able to do this here, but not on Jeopardy!? Is it just the number of choices to help narrow it down?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:36 pm How the hell are you able to do this here, but not on Jeopardy!? Is it just the number of choices to help narrow it down?

That's probably it, combined with having the possible choices literally in front of me, as opposed to floating arouind in my head.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That astronomy question was flawed, and if I was on, I might have called them on it except for the fact that I would have known the answer they were looking for, but would be afraid I'd get a replacement question I couldn't handle. Yes, it looks like there are 7 stars in the Big Dipper, but the star in the middle of the handle is a double star -- Mizar and Alcor, so technically it's 8 stars.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:46 am That astronomy question was flawed, and if I was on, I might have called them on it except for the fact that I would have known the answer they were looking for, but would be afraid I'd get a replacement question I couldn't handle. Yes, it looks like there are 7 stars in the Big Dipper, but the star in the middle of the handle is a double star -- Mizar and Alcor, so technically it's 8 stars.
I thought of this type of situation and decided if it had happened to me I would handle it by saying something like, "it is commonly said to have seven stars, and I believe that is what your writers are looking for here; however few people know about Mizar and Alcor being a double star and the constellation technically has eight stars."

This way the show can choose to stop tape and deal with it somehow, or edit out the part where you said they are wrong so the game could continue.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Knew $100,000 before choices came up. The Yo-Yo was used centuries ago as a Filipino defense weapon. I have always imagined what those battles were like and thought it was quite fascinating.
Douglas Squasoni