Thursday, February 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7934, 2019-02-21

2019 All-Star Games match 1, continuation of game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Brad Rutter, an actor and producer from Los Angeles, California
Colby Burnett, a college counselor from Chicago, Illinois
Alex Jacob, a freelance trivia writer from Greensboro, North Carolina

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome, as we continue with our Jeopardy! All-Star Tournament. Yesterday, we got off to a great start. We spent some enjoyable time talking to all 6 of the captains, and then we had a pretty exciting Jeopardy! Round. Brad Rutter found a Daily Double late in the round, made it pay off, took the lead and did not relinquish it. His team, Team Brad, is in the lead with $8,400. Team Buzzy at $6,600. Team Colby at $3,200. Today we have Larissa Kelly representing Team Brad, Alan Lin for Team Colby and the captain himself, Buzzy Cohen, for Team Buzzy. We'll get to talk to them in just a few moments, and then we'll play the Double Jeopardy! Round. Stay with us, please.

Alex: Thanks for staying with us. The first player I mentioned on today's program is Larissa Kelly. Let's take a look at what made her an all-star.

[A clip is shown from Larissa's sixth game, #5472.]

Alex: And I've discussed with a number of players over the years, the amount of money--big money--such as you wound up winning can change your life. And in your case it did, in many ways.

Larissa: When I was first on the show, I was in grad school, and what Jeopardy! allowed me to do is to have the choice to really decide where I wanted to live and what kind of career I wanted to pursue.

Alex: And you're back here to compete in this tournament.

Larissa: Oh, I would like even more choices in my life.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Alan Lin is on Team Colby, and here's one of the highlights of his appearances on Jeopardy!.

[A clip is shown from the last game of the 2017 Tournament of Champions, #7635.]

Alex: Alan, that was in the Tournament of Champions, not so very long ago. And you have maintained contact with those two opponents, have you not?

Alan: Oh, yeah. Only so that I can keep myself remembering what my motivation is here, which is to absolutely crush Buzzy Cohen.

[Laughter]

Alex: All right. Let's move on to Buzzy.

Alex: When you were here on our stage in late September to draft your team, we were all concerned that you might not be able to stay with us because something very important was happening in your life.

Buzzy: Yeah, my second child was due two days before the draft. Luckily, she waited until a week after her due date to come, and we're really excited. Now I'm surrounded by these incredible, strong women, my wife and two daughters. And a dog that likes to boss me around, too.

Alex: Okay. All right.

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PHYSICS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POLITICIANS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FIRST-TIME RESPONSES (4/5) (Alex: Believe it or not, these are never-before-requested responses in 35 years of Jeopardy!.)
BRITISH LITERATURE (5/5)
IN PERPETUITY (5/5) (Alex: The responses will be made up of the letters in the word "perpetuity".)
HERSHEY FELDER PRESENTS GREAT COMPOSERS (5/5) (Hershey Felder: I'm Hershey Felder, and I'm bringing you clues about the world's greatest composers.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brad: 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Alex: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Colby: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brad snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Alex had $6,600, Colby had $5,200, and Brad was at $14,400. Brad wagered $5,000.

PHYSICS $1600: Victor Hess showed that certain rays intensify with altitude, so they must be from space; Robert Millikan named them these

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alex who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Alex had $12,600, Colby had $5,200, and Brad was at $23,000. Alex wagered $10,000.

POLITICIANS $1600: Before going to the Supreme Court, he made history by winning 3 straight California gubernatorial elections
[After the 15th clue, the show breaks for commercial.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PHYSICS $2000: Physicist James gave his name to this law saying heat from electricity is proportional to the square of the current

FIRST-TIME RESPONSES $1600: This white anesthetic called "milk of amnesia" was involved in the death of Michael Jackson

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brad: $29,800
Alex: $26,200
Colby: $6,400

[After the commercial break, David Madden is introduced as the Final Jeopardy! competitor for Team Brad, Pam Mueller is introduced as the Final Jeopardy! competitor for Team Colby, Jennifer Giles is introduced as the Final Jeopardy! competitor for Team Buzzy.]

Alex: The remaining team members are now on stage to compete in Final Jeopardy! David Madden is here for Team Brad. Let's take a look at one of the highlights of your previous time on our show.

[A clip is shown from David's nineteenth game, #4830.]

Alex: Now your captain, Brad Rutter, talked about you, and he mentioned that he was very happy because you create a number of quiz shows.

David: Mm-hm.

Alex: But I understand that you're a little worried, because that puts extra pressure on you, right?

David: It's extra pressure, but that's why I'm here. So--happy to, happy to help Team Brad however I can.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Pam Mueller has been with us on a number of occasions in different tournaments. Here's one of the highlights of your previous visit.

[A clip is shown from the last game of the 2000-B College Championship, #3732.]

Alex: What were you thinking as you were looking at that clip of yourself? I won't say how many years ago.

Pam: That was such a long time ago, and then I realized that I was shaking the hand of the Harvard competitor next to me, Jonah Knobler, who actually ended up going to law school with me. I ran into him later again in life, so there were just good memories.

Alex: Good memories. Well, that's great.

Alex: Now we come to Jennifer Giles, who won the Teachers Tournament. Let's take a look.

[A clip is shown from the last game of the 2015 Teachers Tournament, #7005.]

Alex: Earlier on this program, I talked to one of our contestants about how winning on Jeopardy! changes their lives. But in your case, you're still teaching third grade, right?

Jennifer: Absolutely.

Alex: You didn't want to give up that career.

Jennifer: No, it's a calling. It's not just a career. So it's definitely--I love it.

Alex: Good for you.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Brad: Wager $22,601 to cover Alex. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $9,801.
Alex: Your score is within 4/5ths of Brad's, so wager between $7,201 (venusian) and $13,399 (martian), beating Brad's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Colby's part.
Colby: You just can't cover a rational wager by Alex, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 7-letter names of these western- & easternmost mainland countries begin with the same letter

FINAL SCORES
Colby: $6,400 - $6,400 = $0 (What are Morocco & Mozambique?)
Alex: $26,200 - $0 = $26,200 (What is I love you, grandma)
Brad: $29,800 + $20,000 = $49,800 (What are Senegal & Somalia?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brad: $23,600, 27 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Alex: $17,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Colby: $6,400, 10 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $47,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Brad: 28/60 = .467
Alex: 19/59 = .322
Colby: 10/58 = .172
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
RECENT CINEMA $800: Christopher Nolan directed this 2017 film about a dramatic mass rescue in World War II
(Colby: What's [*]?)
(Alex Trebek: You're right. You're on the board.)
(Colby: Whew! That's great.)

IN PERPETUITY $1000: In myth Selene couldn't bear this handsome guy ever dying, so she had him sleep forever; Keats wrote a poem about it
(Brad: Who is Adonis?)

RECENT CINEMA $200: Joonas Suotamo stepped into Peter Mayhew's large, large shoes to play this hairy fella in "Solo: A Star Wars Story"
(Colby: Who is [*]?)
(Alex Trebek: Yeah.)
[Colby imitates [*].]

OPEN YOUR PIE HOLE $200: Some celebrate National this Pie Day on October 12, not long before Halloween
(Brad: My favorite. Uh, let's get rid of TRIPLE RHYME TIME for $400.)

IN PERPETUITY $200: "Thank God! He lives, and he lives forever", said an 1897 New York Sun editorial reply to an 8-year-old with this first name
(Alex Trebek: "Yes, [*], there is a Santa Claus.")

HERSHEY FELDER PRESENTS GREAT COMPOSERS $2000: (Hershey Felder presents from the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts.) The last concert ever given by Franz Liszt, arguably the greatest pianist who ever lived, included this work, German for "love dream"

HERSHEY FELDER PRESENTS GREAT COMPOSERS $1600: (Hershey Felder presents from the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts.) Russian composer Mily Balakirev suggested this Shakespeare play as a subject for Tchaikovsky, but the older musician's talk about being inspired by the love of a woman suggested that he didn't know Tchaikovsky very well

HERSHEY FELDER PRESENTS GREAT COMPOSERS $1200: (Hershey Felder presents from the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts.) George Gershwin drew musical inspiration from the real world sounds around him; the wild car horns of the Etoile & the Arc de Triomphe are captured in this work

POLITICIANS $1200: At the 1988 Democratic convention, this fellow Texan said George H.W. Bush was born with a silver foot in his mouth

FIRST-TIME RESPONSES $1200: Introduced in 1991 & already one of the USA's favorite varieties, this apple is named for its sweet taste & firm crunch

HERSHEY FELDER PRESENTS GREAT COMPOSERS $800: (Hershey Felder presents from the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts.) An immigrant from Belarus at age 5, Irving Berlin felt a very personal connection to his new home, deliberately using the first person for these 4 words that follow the title "God Bless America"

HERSHEY FELDER PRESENTS GREAT COMPOSERS $400: (Hershey Felder presents from the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts.) Perhaps music's most famous motif is often said to represent fate knocking, but others attribute the opening of this work to the deaf Beethoven feeling the vibrations of a little bird tapping on a tree
(Alex: And our thanks to Hershey Felder for all of those categories. I saw him perform the music of Beethoven. He is just fantastic.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Iran-Contra scandal
a Greek peak week
a Gibraltar altar vaulter
cosmic rays
(Earl) Warren
Joule's law
propofol
Senegal & Somalia
Dunkirk
Endymion
Chewbacca
pumpkin pie
Virginia
"Liebestraum"
Romeo and Juliet
An American in Paris
Ann Richards
a honeycrisp
"land that I love"
Beethoven's 5th
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

just-in-case-it's-needed-round
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 7-letter names of these western- & easternmost mainland countries begin with the same letter

Team Buzzy (Jennifer Giles): 26200-0=26200
Team Colby (Pam Mueller): 6400-6400=0
Team Brad (David Madden): 29800+20000=49800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Senegal & Somalia (Jennifer – I love you, grandma) (Pam – Morocco & Mozambique)

Daily Doubles
(Yesterday) Team Brad (Brad Rutter): 3200+3200
Team Brad (Larissa Kelly): 14400+5000
Team Buzzy (Buzzy Cohen): 12600+10000

Coryats
Team Buzzy: 17800
Team Colby: 6400
Team Brad: 23600

Combined: 47,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Team Buzzy: 6600
Team Colby: 3200
Team Brad: 8400

DJ! Round clues correct:
Team Buzzy (Buzzy Cohen): 10
Team Colby (Alan Lin): 4
Team Brad (Larissa Kelly): 14

For the Fantasy Sweepstakes it’s 10 points for David Madden being correct on the FJ! clue.
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

31 clues played today and 29 of them had a correct response. The TS ones were the Jackson drug and the physics name for $2K.

Alan had a rough time being sandwiched between Buzzy and Larissa who took 24 of the 30 clues in the DJ! round. Team Colby took another hit when Pam did not meet the 7-letter requirement for the FJ! round.

Daily Doubles in this kind of tournament are going to be a big part of the story. The +5000 & +10000 are probably just the beginning of fireworks we’ll see.

The FJ! clue was a miss for me as like Pam I got off to a wrong step with Morocco. It had seven letters and felt west enough to me to fit. For the east part there is of course no 7-letter M country although I tried to find one.

I lost precious time when I blanked on Mozambique. I knew it was an M country with Portuguese and the name would not come to me as I tried to recall it.

My chance to have switched gears was when I thought of Somalia, but with S instead of M, I went right by it. If I had got the east country first I would like to think that I would have figured out the west one in time although I can’t know now.

David came through for Team Brad to have a great game 1 and Brad will be in the DJ! round tomorrow to try to build up a big lead to make their FJ! round matter little.

Team Buzzy can try to keep way ahead of Team Colby to try to lock up a place in the wildcard game at worst. The wildcard of everything is Alex Jacob in the DJ! round as if he can find the DDs then team Brad could be the ones looking at the wildcard game.
At this point it would seem Team Colby needs two of the teams next week to destroy the hard luck third team.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

One of the few useful facts I picked up studying for J! was that the westernmost point in Africa was Cape Verde in Senegal. Paid off when they asked for the recently-independent nation off the westernmost point in Africa. So Senegal was easy, and figuring out Somalia on the Horn of Africa didn't take too long. If you don't know Senegal, figuring out the two countries in 30 seconds is going to be a nightmare. Props to Larissa; increases my chances of going to the Galapagos. :D
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

leszekp wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:11 pm Sorry for the double post - apparently you can't delete posts on this forum.
Done.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Thank you, sir!
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Thank you, Yakko Warner, for putting those two close together in the song (and Somalia, the one I knew immediately, first).
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

leszekp wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:08 pm One of the few useful facts I picked up studying for J! was that the westernmost point in Africa was Cape Verde in Senegal. Paid off when they asked for the recently-independent nation off the westernmost point in Africa. So Senegal was easy, and figuring out Somalia on the Horn of Africa didn't take too long. If you don't know Senegal, figuring out the two countries in 30 seconds is going to be a nightmare. Props to Larissa; increases my chances of going to the Galapagos. :D
Actually I sort of got it the other way round. I had been embarassed to constantly confuse Senegal’s location with Somalia, so made a special effort to remember that Senegal was on the west coast. I knew Somalia was the easternmost, then Senegal immediately popped to mind.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

leszekp wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:08 pm One of the few useful facts I picked up studying for J! was that the westernmost point in Africa was Cape Verde in Senegal. Paid off when they asked for the recently-independent nation off the westernmost point in Africa. So Senegal was easy, and figuring out Somalia on the Horn of Africa didn't take too long. If you don't know Senegal, figuring out the two countries in 30 seconds is going to be a nightmare. Props to Larissa; increases my chances of going to the Galapagos. :D
I solved it basically the same way. I knew that Senegal worked for the west. When flipping over to the east for a country beginning with S, Somalia popped into mind quickly. Then I spent the rest of the time going down the east cost to make sure there was no other possibility. Was a little surprised to see only one out of these three getting this clue. I didn't think it was so easy, but given the quality of these players, I would have thought two out of three would have gotten it.
Last edited by slam on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Well, Larissa is still an absolute beast.

Had Somalia immediately, but couldn't think of another 7-letter country on the west side.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Yikes. Poor Alan. I knew we'd get some fireworks with Buzzy + Larissa, but I didn't think it would be that lopsided. No idea wtf Team Colby does for game two, other than DD hunt and hope for a WC.

Instaget FJ, with Somalia first then Senegal obviously being the other S- country.

How the hell did Larissa last until pick #6...
Leander

Post by Leander »

I think “Beethoven’s Fifth” should have been negged or gotten a BMS. He did write 5 piano concertos after all, and the guy was playing the theme on a piano.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Poor Pam. I don't think I've seen anyone look so dejected on J! before.

Kinda disappointed the composers category wasn't solely aural recognition.

I got Somalia almost right away (after a brief flirtation with Madagascar before "mainland" registered), then figured it had to be Sierra Leone or Senegal. 7 letters took care of it.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:31 pm Well, Larissa is still an absolute beast.

Had Somalia immediately, but couldn't think of another 7-letter country on the west side.
me neither...totally missed "begin with the same letter" in the clue...would have come up with senegal had i seen that part
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:45 pm I got Somalia almost right away (after a brief flirtation with Madagascar before "mainland" registered), then figured it had to be Sierra Leone or Senegal. 7 letters took care of it.
That's exactly how I got it, too. :shock:
Last edited by jpr281 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I came up with two seven-letter African countries that began with the same letter, but not the right two.

A little while ago there was talk on here about what the highest second place score heading into FJ was. I believe this is now the 2nd highest of all time? After this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3288
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Didja know that Hershey Felder is the common-law husband of Kim Campbell, the only woman prime minister of Canada, 21 years his senior?

Last edited by floridagator on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Our Denver affiliate had been promoting Jennifer's appearance & I thought had partly spoilered FJ by saying it was a TS. Glad that wasn't the case. Both parts clicked at the same time, instaget for me.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,000
44 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Greek peak week

Several people have mentioned what a value pick Larissa was at #6, but David at #7 is also insane. Having that kind of balance is going to make Team Brad awfully hard to beat.
Sprinkles are for winners.