Thursday, February 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, February 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:31 pm Well, Larissa is still an absolute beast.
I know! Her opponent was buzzy, but she was buzzier!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leander wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:39 pm I think “Beethoven’s Fifth” should have been negged or gotten a BMS. He did write 5 piano concertos after all, and the guy was playing the theme on a piano.
"Beethoven's Fifth" always refers to the symphony, so I'm ok with that. It did sound as though Alan started to say "symphony" and stopped himself. The result sounded like "Beethoven's Fifths".

As to the clue itself, what a softball! As soon as we had "Perhaps music's most famous motif" I shouted out "What is Beethoven's Fifth?!?!!?" (Yes, I could supply "symphony" on request and probably would've included it in my response. I can hum you sections from the fifth symphony and the fifth piano concerto on request and wouldn't confuse them. Couldn't identify the fifth string quartet or the fifth piano sonata to save my life. Few classical aficionados could. They're just not that well known.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Loved the piano category.

Swing and a miss on "German for 'love dream'." I left out the S on "liebestraum".

The "milk of amnesia" was my only miss in "First Time Responses".

"Putt for dough" in the top box was my only miss in "In Perpetuity". NHO that phrase, and couldn't filter through that mass of letters for an appropriate word.

I remember Senegal stumping me in a cheap old Mac game in the early 90s, but had forgotten it entirely since then. No guess.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Another instaget here, and also surprised it wasn't a triple get. I think Pam was disappointed that she let her team down. But boy, that DJ round ate me up. I was definitely not keeping up with that crew.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

With the pianist making Oprah look like the guy from the old Federal Express commercials, it is good they only had one round today.

A tough FJ. I came up with Liberia in the west but nothing else came up. African geography isn't my strong suit.

Team Brad did zero group prep in advance and they don't even need to show up Friday to get into the finals.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This is my first time seeing Dave Madden. I missed his original run. I can, uh... see why he rubbed some viewers the wrong way. Between that and feeling that Brad has dodged his share of bullets and then some, I was really hoping the other teams would make a better showing. But things are looking very good for Team Rutter right now. If they win I will be very happy for Larissa.

I expected this FJ to be at least a double get, and I definitely expected Dave to be one of those gets. I was half right. Rough night for Alan and Pam. Since Jennifer didn't bet anything, she didn't have to sweat and could spend her time writing a shout-out to her grandmother. So we don't actually know if she would have gotten this right. Alex J. may even have advised her to follow his example from his games. When he bet $0, he never tipped his hand with a right (or wrong) response. That's just giving your opponents information they didn't earn about your strengths and weaknesses.

I can see how Morocco is an attractive guess for half of the right response. It's got 7 letters and everything. And if you've got a very rough map of Africa in your head, you can imagine that maybe it juts out a little farther west than the rest of the mainland. But then there's nothing on the east coast starting with that letter that's even close to being farthest east. I definitely feel for Pam, under the lights, with panic setting in. Ouch.

I don't know if I'd have got this one under those conditions. I definitely got it from the couch and had plenty of time to check my work. The rough map of Africa in my head is still smooth enough that I wasn't distracted by Morocco. I could see the continent bulging further west just south of there. I'm not great with all those countries, so I started on the east end. The Horn of Africa is very obviously the easternmost point and that makes Somalia the obvious guess. Count the letters. Yep. Ok, so what's on the west that starts with S? Senegal and Sierra Leone. Sierra Leone's too long. Let's count the letters on Senegal. Yep. Let's write down Somalia and Senegal and then check to see if I'm forgetting something. Nope. I mean, I hope not.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

theFJguy wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 7-letter names of these western- & easternmost mainland countries begin with the same letter

Team Buzzy (Jennifer Giles): 26200-0=26200
Team Colby (Pam Mueller): 6400-6400=0
Team Brad (Larissa Kelly): 29800+20000=49800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Senegal & Somalia (Jennifer – I love you, grandma) (Pam – Morocco & Mozambique)

Daily Doubles
(Yesterday) Team Brad (Brad Rutter): 3200+3200
Team Brad (Larissa Kelly): 14400+5000
Team Buzzy (Buzzy Cohen): 12600+10000

Coryats
Team Buzzy: 17800
Team Colby: 6400
Team Brad: 23600

Combined: 47,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Team Buzzy: 6600
Team Colby: 3200
Team Brad: 8400

DJ! Round clues correct:
Team Buzzy (Buzzy Cohen): 10
Team Colby (Alan Lin): 4
Team Brad (Larissa Kelly): 14

For the Fantasy Sweepstakes it’s 10 points for David Madden being correct on the FJ! clue.
It was Dave Madden who got FJ right, not Larissa.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

Madden for the FJ! fixed. Thanks, Myron.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I LOLd when The FJ category was revealed, telling my wife about Dave Maddens geography bowl connection. Easternmost point in Africa? Gotta be the Horn, so Somalia. Seven letter S country on W coast? Gotta be Senegal... done. Yeah, I did feel bad for Alan and Pam. Talk about two buzzsaws. Sheesh!
Last edited by Woof on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Welp, Team Brad is stacked. Larissa especially was a killer on the buzzer. Dave looked a little miffed for being put on FJ/SJ duty but his team is simply That Good. Excited to see everyone again tomorrow.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

leszekp wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:08 pm One of the few useful facts I picked up studying for J! was that the westernmost point in Africa was Cape Verde in Senegal. Paid off when they asked for the recently-independent nation off the westernmost point in Africa. So Senegal was easy, and figuring out Somalia on the Horn of Africa didn't take too long. If you don't know Senegal, figuring out the two countries in 30 seconds is going to be a nightmare. Props to Larissa; increases my chances of going to the Galapagos. :D
I went the other way. Somalia was the first that came to mind, which made Senegal an easy get.

Everyone knew this was going to be a half game on the staff side, so they probably got the go ahead to have the piano category run long; none of the clues needed accompaniment in the first place so if you're going to have him play...let him play.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 pm Team Brad did zero group prep in advance and they don't even need to show up Friday to get into the finals.
You don't think Team Buzzy could put up $25k with only two teams in the game. Feels a bit presumptuous.

I would say they need to show up and then some. Given there is the opportunity to double your score up to four times in a single game, a $23k lead is hardly insurmountable.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Morocco was the first thing I thought of for westernmost, and then I jumped to the east coast and saw no reason to stick with the M's while the Horn of Africa jutted into my face. So then I was left to move down the coast from Morocco, and the only thing I could come up with was Senegal. Done!

Before the FJ betting discussions even showed up I knew Team Brad was going to go big. The only time David Madden really went for it on FJ in the notoriously conservative days of his original run was on a geography category.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It seems very plausible that the Game 2 FJ Wagering could come down to what I'll call a Super Stratton's Dilemma. Team Buzzy could very easily be in a position where they have to bet most of their money in order to have a chance to win, but if Team Colby can get to at least $13100, then Team Buzzy may risk missing out on second place if they make the big FJ bet and miss. Of course the 3rd place wager could be considered a bit of a dilemma as well. Say Team Colby does get to $15k or so, do you definitely bet all your money and risk dropping to a big fat $0 or consider a $0 bet and hope that 4 days of brutal finals leaves that score with a chance of still advancing?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Someone get the paddles out for Team Colby. Set them for 200 Joules. Now, put them on the writer who wrote that Physics $2000 clue :evil: (see what I did there?). If you don't put in the "Physicist James" in the clue as TOM, I wouldn't go down the James Clerk Maxwell rabbit hole.
Professionally, my colleagues refer to Joule heating for thermocouple design uncertainty budgets, and generally as any heat from mechanical agitation or friction. But my customers design resistance heaters for everywhere on the planet, (as well as Mars - Curiosity, not the dead one) and I doubt if any of them realize the name of the I-Squared R law. I am to blame for assuming Joule was a French dude just because of racism and the metric system being all French-y.

FWIW, Pam's dud and potential $13K probably isn't going to be the difference unless they find their buzzers, and she will have a chance for redemption. I do hope that other Mueller has a better reveal :lol:

Great FJ question. It always ratchets up the stakes when you need two answers (why I hate Before and After). I started with Somalia because of the pirate-based-economy a few years back, it obviously was the more far away-ier east. I wish I'd paid attention to the number of letters for conviction because I couldn't pull Senegal right away. My mental map got me in those little countries by Ivory Coast and I thought about maybe a "C" country to go with Cote 'd Ivoire which I ruled out as being too messy. As music ended it was Somalia and (think, think) SENEGAL popped up.

eta - fixed egregious abuse of further/farther dichotomy - thanks Alietr!
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

No matter what happens tomorrow, I think Team Brad has at least locked themselves into the Wildcard match if they somehow get defeated in game 2.

While i can agree with some that I am still not a big fan of this format, I'm looking forward to the rest of it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Well, drat, I was really hoping for Team Colby to come through tonight. Love all three of those players.

Knew Somalia was the westernmost country and was quite confident that Senegal is the easternmost. I put those two down without even counting letters.

My funny guess of the night was "Liederkranz" for "Liebestraum." I've obviously spent too much time here. :D

I'm sure this has been discussed, but will they play a full game tomorrow or just single J!?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am I'm sure this has been discussed, but will they play a full game tomorrow or just single J!?
Should be a full game, I believe. From what I gathered yesterday in a response to my question, it will be a full game tomorrow, and Match 2 will also be split up to three episodes like this was.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am ...

Knew Somalia was the westernmost country and was quite confident that Senegal is the easternmost. I put those two down without even counting letters.
Do you have an Africa map you look at in a mirror? ;)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:18 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am I'm sure this has been discussed, but will they play a full game tomorrow or just single J!?
Should be a full game, I believe. From what I gathered yesterday in a response to my question, it will be a full game tomorrow, and Match 2 will also be split up to three episodes like this was.
So Alex was wrong when he said these are "two day, total point affairs." In fact the preliminary rounds are three day total point affairs.