Thursday, February 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, February 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am My funny guess of the night was "Liederkranz" for "Liebestraum." I've obviously spent too much time here. :D
Though my answer was phonetically closer, I'd rather have said "Liederkranz" than "Lebensraum." :shock:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I got 25 right missing Barney Frank, Ann Richards, Adopter, Propofol, and Frivolous.
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Joule's Law
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R
DD: 3/3
LT: Greek Peak Weak, Gibraltar Altar Vaulter, Joule's Law
Douglas Squasoni
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:33 am
JayK33 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:18 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am I'm sure this has been discussed, but will they play a full game tomorrow or just single J!?
Should be a full game, I believe. From what I gathered yesterday in a response to my question, it will be a full game tomorrow, and Match 2 will also be split up to three episodes like this was.
So Alex was wrong when he said these are "two day, total point affairs." In fact the preliminary rounds are three day total point affairs.
I guess. This is how Mark explained it yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5064&start=20#p300977
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am ...

Knew Somalia was the westernmost country and was quite confident that Senegal is the easternmost. I put those two down without even counting letters.
Do you have an Africa map you look at in a mirror? ;)
You know what's funny is I always make this mistake. I have the correct mental picture of Africa in my head, but for some reason I have to think about which side of the continent is west. I never do this for any other continent. Weird.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am ...

Knew Somalia was the westernmost country and was quite confident that Senegal is the easternmost. I put those two down without even counting letters.
Do you have an Africa map you look at in a mirror? ;)
Could be a shower curtain à la Michael Falk, that he hung facing out.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I missed what the category was beforehand but I’d have bet it all. I was just reading an article about Djibouti yesterday so that didn’t hurt since it included a map with Somalia on it. I didn’t read the FJ clue very carefully (I was playing HQ while watching!) so I missed the part about “7 letters” but I knew the westernmost was Senegal. I learned it on The Amazing Race.

It’s always a pleasure watching Larissa play.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am My funny guess of the night was "Liederkranz" for "Liebestraum." I've obviously spent too much time here. :D
Though my answer was phonetically closer, I'd rather have said "Liederkranz" than "Lebensraum." :shock:
That's what I got stuck on too. I didn't think it was right, but didn't realize till I looked it up what it meant and how very, very far off it was.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:49 pm I started with Somalia because of the pirate-based-economy a few years back, it obviously was the furthest east.
Farthest. Not meaning to pick on you, but it's my latest grammar annoyance, and if someone else looks it up and learns it, so much the better.
billiej

Post by billiej »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:31 pm Well, Larissa is still an absolute beast.

Had Somalia immediately, but couldn't think of another 7-letter country on the west side.
Same...African geography is a weak point for me, and the Western countries in particular. :x Was proud of myself for at least getting one right away.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Buzzy essentially needs Jennifer Giles to get them in a position where Alex Jacob can go haywire in DJ to have any chance to win this game. I wouldn’t bet against Alex, but it is almost impossible to run away and hide in DJ when Brad Rutter is on that stage with you. Team Colby? They have to hope that one of the Game 2 teams flames out at this point....they will need a $20K or so showing in one game against these beasts to feel even somewhat comfortable.

Brad luck - where is Larissa picked in this draft if she doesn’t miss that FJ during her tournament AND not have that last-second mistake of her opponent finding a DD that she should have been hunting for at the end of her BoTD game? She was right on the same plane as players like Alex and Roger...those two frustrating outcomes (for her at least) just leaves her short of what those other two ultimately accomplished. Getting Madden at #7 is also insane but perhaps a bit more justified given he has been away from the game for so long.

Anything can happen on J!, but as of right now, I can’t see Team Brad doing anything but win this whole thing.....
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

(This feels more like a comment about the specific day than J! in the media since it's about Thursday's play)

Deadspin had thoughts...
https://deadspin.com/letting-larissa-ke ... 1832814009
Michael Jordan sliding to pick No. 3. Tom Brady dropping to the sixth round. Mike Piazza going 1,390th. Add another one to that list: Larissa Kelly dropping to pick No. 6 in the Jeopardy! All-Stars draft.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:49 pm I started with Somalia because of the pirate-based-economy a few years back, it obviously was the furthest east.
Farthest. Not meaning to pick on you, but it's my latest grammar annoyance, and if someone else looks it up and learns it, so much the better.
Thanks, Officer!! Maybe another boardie will benefit from this teachable. :D
I used to be much good at speling and prroofing. Now I find myself typing "to" for "too" without hesitation. Embarrassing. The further/farthest transposition has been off my radar a long time - I communicate with non-English speakers a lot so I tend to use fragments and small words. So the ESL friendly version: "it obviously was the more far away-ier east".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

It'll depend on where somebody looks it up. For instance, neither of the 2 dictionaries closest to my desk makes the distinction. Webster's 3d's entry for FURTHEST just directs the reader to FARTHEST...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:48 am
It'll depend on where somebody looks it up. For instance, neither of the 2 dictionaries closest to my desk makes the distinction. Webster's 3d's entry for FURTHEST just directs the reader to FARTHEST...
But I already copped an Alford plea! Furthering the cause of good grammar was the farthest thing from my mind when I made the post. I frankly don't see how they are interchangeable. It reminds me of the distinction with ser/estar in espanol sometimes.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Usage has made them interchangeable, but I agree at one time "farthest" indicated distance.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I like the sound of furtherest.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:31 pm Well, Larissa is still an absolute beast.

Had Somalia immediately, but couldn't think of another 7-letter country on the west side.
Glad I picked Larissa as a member of my fantasy team. Love watching her play; she has an outstanding competitive instinct and the better her opponents, the steelier she gets.

Also had Somalia instantly, and then blanked on Senegal. Putting an "S" on Liberia didn't seem like a good idea; I didn't want to end up in the Gulag. I thought of drawing seven boxes, and putting multiple letters in a single box to make Sierra Leone look like it fit.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:35 am I got 25 right missing Barney Frank, Ann Richards, Adopter, Propofol, and Frivolous.
DD: 2/2
LT: Joule's Law
Say what? Is this opposite day? You don't miss 5 in a week normally!

How did you crack the Joule's law nut? Was it from knowing the full name of the scientist? And somehow avoiding James Watt and James Clerk Maxwell? I already ragged on this one in my first post. Great solve, anyway, makes up for missing the 5 gimmes IMHO.

I don't like to monger for poll questions, but I think this one polls under 10% if MB picks it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

It helps that I lived in Senegal a few years ago and had to explain to basically everybody where the country is on the map

Before this whole thing started, I thought, man, imagine the pressure on the person playing FJ! Ouch.