Friday, February 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7935, 2019-02-22

2019 All-Star Games match 1, game 2.

CONTESTANTS
David Madden, an academic competition director from Ridgewood, New Jersey (subtotal of $49,800)
Alan Lin, a software engineer from Riverside, California (subtotal of $0)
Jennifer Giles, a third grade teacher from Longmont, Colorado (subtotal of $26,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the deciding game of match number one. I'm very excited to be here today because we are going to play all three rounds of Jeopardy! in this half-hour. We welcome back David, Alan and Jennifer, who today play for their teams in the Jeopardy! Round. The dollar figures you see indicate the amounts won by their teams yesterday. Those totals will be added to today's to determine the winner of the match. But for now, we get rid of those dollar figures, and I direct your attention to the board and show you the categories from which you will make your selection. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV BY THE NUMBERS (1/5)
THE 1920s (5/5)
FOREIGN-SOUNDING FOOD (5/5)
STATE FACTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THINGS IN MUSEUMS (4/5)
ANAGRAMS OF EACH OTHER (4/5) (Alex: Each clue will require two words in a correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 8 R, 0 W
Jennifer: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
David: 8 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennifer found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Jennifer had $1,400, Alan was scoreless, and David had nothing in the bank. Jennifer made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

STATE FACTS $800: In 1999, in a nod to this facility named for a president, Brevard County, Florida added 321 as an area code
(Alex: Countdown to a launch.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alan: $4,000
Jennifer: $3,800
David: $3,000

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THINGS IN MUSEUMS $1000: Made of pale blue & white jasperware, the Pegasus vase was given to the British Museum in 1786 by this English potter who made it

ANAGRAMS OF EACH OTHER $600: A hypersensitive reaction to a substance & a place to exhibit artworks

TV BY THE NUMBERS $1000: Bruce Boxleitner starred on this sci-fi series set in the 23rd century aboard the title space station

TV BY THE NUMBERS $800: This Netflix series is a sort of Brazilian "Hunger Games"
(Jennifer: What is The 100?)

TV BY THE NUMBERS $600: This '90s sitcom that starred Ryan Reynolds & Nathan Fillion dropped "A Pizza Place" from its title
(David: What is Three Guys and a Girl?)
(Alex: David, you crowded one guy too many in there. It's [*].)

TV BY THE NUMBERS $200: Agnes Nixon created this soap opera that focused on the Buchanan & Lord families
(David: What is Hawaii Five-0?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alan: $5,000
Jennifer: $4,000
David: $3,800
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN MEMORIAM 2018 (5/5)
PHYSIOLOGY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POETRY FILL-IN (4/5)
THAT'S A MOUTHFUL! (5/5)
THE ARCTIC (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LET'S "C" SOME DANCING (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jennifer: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Alan: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
David: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennifer snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Jennifer had $8,000, Alan had $6,200, and David was at $5,400. Jennifer wagered $100.

THE ARCTIC $1600: Going from Norway to Alaska, this Scandinavian completed the first trip through the Northwest Passage in 1906
[The time's-up signal sounds.]
(Alex Jacob: [Overlapping] Who is [*]?)
(Alex Trebek: Oh, the right response but a tad too late, Alex.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jennifer who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Jennifer had $10,300, Alan had $6,200, and David was at $5,400. Jennifer wagered $100.

PHYSIOLOGY $1200: The dura mater is the outermost of these layers of protective membranes that surround the brain & the spinal cord

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POETRY FILL-IN $1600: Eliot:
"I will show you fear in a handful of ____"

PHYSIOLOGY $1600: Lying beneath the trapezius muscles, these muscles of the shoulder look like an oblique parallelogram, hence the name
(Alex Jacob: What are deltoids?)

THE ARCTIC $2000: The largest on the Arctic Ocean, this Russian city was a base for the British, French & U.S. forces against the Bolsheviks
(Brad: What is Archangel?)
(Pam: What is Vladivostok?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jennifer: $16,800
Alan: $11,000
David: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN IN U.S. HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Jennifer: Wager $5,201 to cover Alan, but no more than $8,399 so as not to fall behind David's doubled score.
Alan: You have the hope of surpassing Jennifer if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,801 to force Jennifer to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $2,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by David.
David: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1901 this activist was jailed for inspiring the assassination of William McKinley, but the charge was later dropped

FINAL SCORES
David: $4,200 + $4,200 = $8,400 = $58,200 cumulative (Who is Emma Goldman?) (Winner: Automatic finalist)
Alan: $11,000 + $10,800 = $21,800 = $21,800 cumulative (Who was E. Goldman (Goldman)) (3rd place: $50,000 (split three ways) if eliminated)
Jennifer: $16,800 - $16,800 = $0 = $26,200 cumulative (Who is Anthony?) (2nd place: Wildcard competitor)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jennifer: $17,400, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Alan: $11,000, 15 R, 2 W
David: $4,200, 12 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $32,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jennifer: 23/61 = .377
Alan: 16/58 = .276
David: 13/58 = .224
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THINGS IN MUSEUMS $800: Now at the Louvre, this sculpture was found on the Greek island of Samothrace

THE 1920s $1000: He set off from Britain for a fourth Antarctic expedition, but endured for only a few months before he took ill & died

STATE FACTS $1000: Located in a canyon, Phantom Ranch in this state still receives its mail by mule train
(Alex: At the bottom of the Grand Canyon.)

THE 1920s $600: After losing the heavyweight title in 1926, this boxer said, "Honey, I just forgot to duck"

IN MEMORIAM 2018 $1200: The book closed on this bestselling author in his trademark white suit, who died at 88

LET'S "C" SOME DANCING $800: This dance calls for a line, as seen here

POETRY FILL-IN $2000: Carroll:
"Beware the jubjub bird, and shun the frumious ____!"
(Brad: [Sighs] Crap.)

THAT'S A MOUTHFUL! $800: I get to say "aspirin"; you get to say this "acid", its other name
(Pam: What is salicylic?)
(Alex Trebek: No.)
(Pam: Acid?)

THE ARCTIC $400: The Norway species of this furry, stubby-tailed little rodent is famous for Arctic mass migrations
(Brad: What's a rat?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Cape Kennedy (or the Kennedy Space Center)
Josiah Wedgwood
allergy and gallery
Babylon 5
3%
Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place
One Life to Live
Amundsen
meninges
in a handful of dust
the rhomboids
Murmansk
Emma Goldman
Nike (or Winged Victory)
(Ernest) Shackleton
Arizona
(Jack) Dempsey
(Tom) Wolfe
the conga
bandersnatch
acetylsalicylic acid
a lemming
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN IN U.S. HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1901 this activist was jailed for inspiring the assassination of William McKinley, but the charge was later dropped

Team Buzzy: (Buzzy) 16800-16800=0 + 26200 = 26200 (WC)
Team Colby: (Colby) 11000+10800=21800 + 0 = 21800
Team Brad: (Larissa) 4200+4200=8400 + 49800 = 58200 (Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Emma Goldman (Buzzy – Anthony)

Daily Doubles
Team Buzzy (Jennifer) 1400 +1400
Team Buzzy (Alex) 8000 -100
Team Buzzy (Alex) 10300 +100

Coryats
Team Buzzy: 17400
Team Colby: 11000
Team Brad: 4200

Combined: 32,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Team Buzzy: 4000
Team Colby: 5000
Team Brad: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Captain Brad got his tail handed to him. His team is lucky game 1 went so well for them.

David Madden had a doozy of a miss though no big penalty at just $200
TV BY THE NUMBERS $200: Agnes Nixon created this soap opera that focused on the Buchanan & Lord families

Hawaii Five-0 was a howler. He must have spotted Lord and ignored everything else.

The FJ! clue was a miss for me as my three-side coin did not have the right name in the mix. In the BotD I went Stanton when it was Anthony, so I tried again with Stanton. Nope, still wrong. The third name I considered was Carry Nation.

Nice double solve by Colby and Larissa. Buzzy's wager gave his team a chance to move to the finals and he had the nice cushion to attempt it with the wildcard spot at worst locked.

At the end of the game the Fantasy scores were shown as:
Spoiler
Alex: 24
Larissa: 24
David: 18
Brad: 17
Colby: 16
Alan: 12
Buzzy: 10
Jennifer: 8
Pam: 7
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Is Brad Rutter still the #1 player of all time? This is a thing that is now up for debate, though I think we all want to see the rest of the tournament before the debate begins.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Code: Select all

Team Buzzy: 26200 16800 43000 59800
Team Colby:     0 11000 11000 22000
Team Brad:  49800  4200 54000 58200
Team Buzzy: Bet $15,201 to cover Team Brad.
Team Brad: You have Team Colby superlocked and Team Brad has to get it right to pass you. Bet what you want.
Team Colby: Bet what you want, hoping the losing teams from the other match don't surpass you.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Stats for Match 1:

Some interesting early takeaways:
  • Only one rebound the whole match. Contestants are being super-careful with the Jeopardy! Weapon™.
  • Team Buzzy keeping pace well with Team Brad, thanks in no small part to Alex Jacob. 24 correct responses across 2 games (incl. Daily Doubles).
  • Team Buzzy also with the best average Coryat, remarkably consistent in the two games.
  • Team Colby had a rough go of it in the first round, going up against two stacked teams. If they make it to the Wild Card match they have a long way to go. There's no way of knowing what's a good score in this format and what isn't, but the standard $20,000 cutoff obviously will not cut it in this environment.
  • Brad Rutter has the most wrong answers of any individual player, with 4
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Despite my post a few days ago saying that 2nd game wagering in this round is the most complicated we've seen on the show, the wagering strategies today ended up being very straightforward. From the brief glimpse into the strategy discussions, it was also clear that the teams understood this.

Since Team Colby had no chance to finish anything but 3rd (double their pre-FJ score plus yesterday's $0 total would still be less than either of other team had earned yesterday), their only decision was to try and have enough for the final WC position. I think they made the right decision to go "big" but I also agree with not trying to quite double up. If they missed FJ, at least they'd be able to beat a $0 total by another team. Their final total of 21,800 may be good enough for a WC, but it's hard to figure out how likely that is.

Alex's drubbing of Brad put his team into a simple position. They could risklessly bet big to lock out Team Brad and if they missed, they'd still have the WC.

Team Brad's final wager and response was irrelevant as long as Team Buzzy bet for the win. But at least they knew that no matter what happened in FJ, they were living to play another day.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:50 pm [*]Only one rebound the whole match. Contestants are being super-careful with the Jeopardy! Weapon™.
My numbers show Pam going 2/3 on rebounds and Alex going 1/1 in DJ today alone.
Andy Saunders
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at Hawaii Five-O being a soap opera created by Agnes Nixon.

How is Scandinavian Arctic Explorer from 1906 not Pavlovian for Amundsen?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm How is Scandinavian Arctic Explorer from 1906 not Pavlovian for Amundsen?
Comments like this make me wonder if you actually watched the show.
Andy Saunders
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Can't say I recall ever hearing of Emma Goldman.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

great job on Alex Jacob and team's idea to burn DD in DJ! so Team Colby would continue to trail them in total points.

Safe to bet all for a straight-out victory or a loss leading to the Wild Card match. good move.

I rarely know anything about body parts, felt this category was a shocker for me. went 5/5 and just 1/5 in mouthful. :/

Team Brad felt like saving the energy for the final(tomorrow afternoon in real-life sense), I thought.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

floridagator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm LOL, just LOL at Hawaii Five-O being a soap opera created by Agnes Nixon.

How is Scandinavian Arctic Explorer from 1906 not Pavlovian for Amundsen?
A gimme. How many else can you name?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Anagrams category.

Food category was weird. NHO "pommes frites" or "Asian chicken salad", and said enchirito for chimichanga.

Any reason I should know what "pommes frites" means anyway? That's not even remotely close to a cognate, so it's entirely YEKIOYD.

DJ! board looked weird with $1200 and $1600 all gone but everything else still on it.

Loved Brad's "Crap".

TIL lemmings are rodents.

No guess on FJ! Absolute NHOI for me, last Archive hit is from 2006.

Lach Trash: allergy/gallery, One Life to Live.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:30 pm Can't say I recall ever hearing of Emma Goldman.
Me either. I went with Anthony, though it really didn't make much sense but she was the only female activist of that era I could name.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:45 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:30 pm Can't say I recall ever hearing of Emma Goldman.
Me either. I went with Anthony, though it really didn't make much sense but she was the only female activist of that era I could name.
The FJ in this game

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2234

got me thinking "anarchist" which led me to guess Goldman.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I never liked DD stalling. In this game it was a strategic mistake.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

It's a tough FJ because Goldman isn't as famous as the major suffragettes, but anyone who has read E.L. Doctorow's Ragtime should have gotten it pretty quickly. At least, that's what worked for me.

Watching Alex consistently beat Brad on the buzzer was absolutely thrilling. No offense to Brad, but in the words of Rocky IV, it's nice to know "he's not a machine, he's a man!"

It's a bit of a shame that Buzzy couldn't come up with the right answer, but that team is going to be awfully difficult to beat in the Wild Card match.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Ragtime is my favorite musical, but Emma Goldman did not come to me. Once they said the answer, I remembered she was in the show.