Wednesday, February 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:31 pm I was hoping Matt would go all in on FJ, since they already had the game clinched and finish with a total of $100,403.
Me too. It's the first time I've had to accommodate a six-digit number in my rendering of cumulative scores.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I was hoping for it too.

Congrats to Team Ken on a great win, and Ken himself for getting so far ahead in DJ.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Read Yon Mind

-Shakespeare
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Did Alex fully explain the 434 category? All I heard him say is that they were going for three word responses, but didn’t say it had to have certain amount of letters in each word.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

I thought maybe Ken would finally show signs of slowing down on the buzzer in this tourney, but nope. He just mauled the competition. I had a feeling Seth was going to need to put up a super score in the first round for them to have a chance - no, that is not a knock on Julia. It was just knowing that if Ken gets on a roll, there is nothing Julia or Austin would be able to do about it. That FJ miss is likely haunting her at night. A very likable team, but someone had to be 6th.

As for the wild card games, Alex Jacob is the obvious difference maker. I wouldn’t count out Austin/Roger/Leonard though. Roger was off in Game 1, but I wouldn’t count him out going forward. And we know that Roger and Austin are known for their crazy DD wagers if they can find them. Leonard also showed some trivia chips today. I would consider Team Colby the underdog squad, but it should be a fun couple of days.

So many possible big-time matchups in the finals. I am not sure if I want to see yet another Ken/Brad showdown, but if the third person ends up being Alex, that could be fun.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:07 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:31 pm I was hoping Matt would go all in on FJ, since they already had the game clinched and finish with a total of $100,403.
Me too. It's the first time I've had to accommodate a six-digit number in my rendering of cumulative scores.
I just looked through my multi-day wagering suggestion thread to see if anyone else came close to this (or to $50k pre-doubling) in a two-day final; the closest was Matt Zielenski in the 1995 Teen Tournament finals. If he had bet everything on FJ (which he got right), he would have won $49,800 (safeguarding the victory would have guaranteed a maximum of $47,599). The four next highest are $43,200 for Scott Gillispie in the 1991 College Championship (could safely achieve $32,599), $42,800 for Shane Whitlock in the 1996 CC (could safely achieve $36,099), $42,200 for Michael Daunt in the 1997 International Tournament (not a lock; he got his total up to $35,000 to cover someone who could have maxed out at $34,400), and $83,600 for Anurag Kashyap in the 2008-B Teen Tournament (could safely achieve $73,999).

The only time besides this All-Star game and Matt Z.'s Final that anyone has been able to safely shoot for more than $40k or $80k was when Roger Craig couldn't Clavin himself out of victory in the 2011 ToC finals and went for an even $80,000 (leaving $1,200 as his day 2 score when he missed FJ).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:40 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm I had to look this up since I've never heard it the way Ken pronounced it. His real first name was Tiziano, pronounced Tit-zha-no, so you could make an argument for Ken's pronunciation.
There was a link to Ken's twitter feed on FB. On there he stated that he did it that way, just like E. Buzz Miller (whoever that is) does.
He's a Dan Aykroyd character from early SNL.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... sics/n8656
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

chmmr wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 am Read Yon Mind
-Shakespeare
*Like*
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 pm Ken can do no wrong! (except mispronounce Titian)
I had to look this up since I've never heard it the way Ken pronounced it. His real first name was Tiziano, pronounced Tit-zha-no, so you could make an argument for Ken's pronunciation.

Ken really came in like a wrecking ball again. What a player.

Did anyone else think the "read one mind" answer was weird? I've never heard that expression. Read one's mind, sure. The clue was: "To ascertain one person's thoughts, as by telepathy"
I thought so, too. I think they might have been looking for "read his/her mind".
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm Did anyone else think the "read one mind" answer was weird? I've never heard that expression. Read one's mind, sure. The clue was: "To ascertain one person's thoughts, as by telepathy"
Yes, I wasn't sure they were going to accept it. I had come up with "read the mind".
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

QuizGeek75 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:10 pm I'm devastated that Team Julia has been eliminated as they were one of my favorite teams. They were just unlucky with the clues and with the fact that they were up against some very tough competitors in Team Austin and Team Ken.
Not devastated, but disappointed -- Julia, Seth, and Ben are on my list of favorite players, and I was hoping to see more of all three.

Though Jeopardy is not a game of chance, chance certainly plays a role. As someone mentioned earlier in a different thread, Ken Jennings caught a bit of a fortunate break in his first game when the judges allowed "Jones" as his answer instead of requiring more specificity; if it had gone the other way, he would simply be another name in the long list of challengers whose claim to fame is to be a one-time contestant.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:51 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:08 am For Pangea, would my response of ‘landmass’ have prompted a BMS? I’ve never heard the term supercontinent before
that is what i went with
I think "landmass" is definitely too vague -- some definitions of the term include islands -- and that at least "continent" would be required (although Pangea is usually referred to as a supercontinent).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:07 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:08 am For Pangea, would my response of ‘landmass’ have prompted a BMS? I’ve never heard the term supercontinent before
that is what i went with
I think "landmass" is definitely too vague -- some definitions of the term include islands -- and that at least "continent" would be required (although Pangea is usually referred to as a supercontinent).
This is one of those associations that really shouldn't exist, but it is frequently included, and I wonder if the name was chosen and the term "supercontinent" was invented the same time. Never mind, I just googled, and TIL

During the existence of the Earth seven different supercontinents had been on the surface of the planet which will be presented now.

Vaalbara. ...
Kenorland. ...
Columbia (Nuna) ...
Rodinia. ...
Pannotia. ...
Pangaea.

disclaimer - there are multiple claims, including Wiki which includes Ur as the second in geology. I just pasted the most board friendly teaser.

So, while there's no chance of confusing Pangaea as a mere continent, the term supercontinent is not just an honorific. And it turns out Pangaea's days are numbered, so better get your border walls up now!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:02 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:07 pm
that is what i went with
This is one of those associations that really shouldn't exist, but it is frequently included, and I wonder if the name was chosen and the term "supercontinent" was invented the same time. Never mind, I just googled, and TIL

During the existence of the Earth seven different supercontinents had been on the surface of the planet which will be presented now.

Vaalbara. ...
Kenorland. ...
Columbia (Nuna) ...
Rodinia. ...
Pannotia. ...
Pangaea.

So, while there's no chance of confusing Pangaea as a mere continent, the term supercontinent is not just an honorific. And it turns out Pangaea's days are numbered, so better get your border walls up now!
Though smaller than Pangaea, since they were components of it, Gondwana (or Gondwanaland) and Laurasia also seem to be termed supercontinents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurasia

.... and TIL that a "craton" is "is an old and stable part of the continental lithosphere" that serves as a "stable continental base," generally in the center portion of a tectonic plate. Zero hits on the term "craton" in the J archive. I will eagerly await its appearance in a future game.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
whatsahoe
Contributor

Post by whatsahoe »

Woof wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:40 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm Shocked that no one got Five and Dime, especially after Seth set it up for them.
It's a pretty generational term. I know it only because I'm a retail historian. I only barely remember seeing any of the big dime store names in operation, and I'm 31. Most of them went through myriads of closures in the 80s and early 90s, and from what I can gather, the few that hung on to the very end were pretty rough looking, antiquated stores that no one wanted to shop at anymore. So pretty much what Kmart has been for the past 15 years.
I was also surprised that it played as a TS, especially in light of this reference to the term
Regarding "Five and Dime"... that's where you bought your guitar in the Summer of '69 :D
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ, being a huge phrase at the time.
I would rule against Homo sapiens sapiens, as that is the classification for modern man, not Cro-Magnon as Ayla was identified.
Golf

Post by Golf »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 pm Ken can do no wrong! (except mispronounce Titian)
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm I had to look this up since I've never heard it the way Ken pronounced it. His real first name was Tiziano, pronounced Tit-zha-no, so you could make an argument for Ken's pronunciation.
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm Yeah, that was odd.
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:40 pm There was a link to Ken's twitter feed on FB. On there he stated that he did it that way, just like E. Buzz Miller (whoever that is) does.
teapot37 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:33 am He's a Dan Aykroyd character from early SNL.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... sics/n8656
I am shocked that Titty-N(hee hee hee) needs to be explained on a Jeopardy board. Average people I could understand. I don't know if I've ever heard a trivia friend pronounce the name correctly.

Or perhaps the trivia crowd I frequent is just really weird.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:26 pm I am shocked that Titty-N(hee hee hee) needs to be explained on a Jeopardy board. Average people I could understand. I don't know if I've ever heard a trivia friend pronounce the name correctly.

To be fair, that was from a clip in 1977, which is pretty close to the last time I actually watched SNL, so that character was probably in my brain at some point, but not any more.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:26 pm I am shocked that Titty-N(hee hee hee) needs to be explained on a Jeopardy board. Average people I could understand. I don't know if I've ever heard a trivia friend pronounce the name correctly.

To be fair, that was from a clip in 1977, which is pretty close to the last time I actually watched SNL, so that character was probably in my brain at some point, but not any more.
I just think it's cool that Ken was having a little joke on anyone who smugly corrected him...that would include me... :geek:
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

It brings back a lot of fond memories to watch Ken demolishing the competition. My children were still between 4 and 14 during his original run, and we watched J! together every evening. We got so used to seeing Ken on the show that the kids thought of him in much the same way they thought of Steve on Blue's Clues — they just expected him to always be there. They cried when Steve left his show, and they cried when Ken fell victim to the Empress Zurg.