Thursday, March 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7944, 2019-03-07

CONTESTANTS
Hope Shinn, a librarian from Silver Spring, Maryland
Kristin Philips, a college program administrator from Mountlake Terrace, Washington
Dana Wayne, an educator from North Hollywood, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $32,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hello, my friends, and welcome. Ladies, good to have you with us. No preamble today. We're going right into the first round. Good luck. Categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NATIVE AMERICAN $1 COINS (4/4)
THIS & THAT (4/5)
ELEMENTS (4/5)
MIXED DOG BREEDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You have to unscramble the dog name in...)
READING TALK (4/5)
STEAMED PUNK (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Dana: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Hope: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dana found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Dana had $800, Kristin had $4,000, and Hope had nothing in the bank. Dana made it a True Daily Double, wagering $800.

MIXED DOG BREEDS $1000: Small & fluffy:
MINOR APNEA

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kristin: $4,000
Dana: $2,000
Hope: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Hope Shinn is a librarian from Silver Spring, Maryland, who at the age of 10 was a Civil War reenactor?

Hope: Yeah. So I've always been really fascinated by history, and actually, especially historical dress. And when I found out my town had a historical reenacting troupe for kids, I joined it, 'cause I really wanted to wear a hoop skirt.

Alex: Oh. And what were you?

Hope: I was a nurse's assistant.

Alex: Oh.

Hope: So I--well, I'm not sure they actually had any 10-year-old girls as nursing assistants, but that's what I wanted to be.

Alex: All right, well, good for you. You succeeded.

Alex: Kristin Philips is from Washington. Had a close-up encounter with penguins. Where did this take place?

Kristin: It happened at the Edinburgh Zoo.

Alex: Ah.

Kristin: I was seven years old, and every day at 1:00 they let the penguins out for a walk. And I had been talking the whole time about "Oh, I can't wait to see this." The day we got there, they were repaving the route, so I sat down and sobbed brokenheartedly just like only a seven-year-old can. The keeper saw me, felt so bad he actually talked to my dad and he took us into the penguin enclosure, my older sister and me. So we actually got to see them up close and personal.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Dana Wayne is an educator. She is our champion. Skydived in the Namib Desert?

Dana: So I have spent my entire life terrified of heights and swearing that there is no reason to ever jump out of an airplane. 'Cause there really isn't. But then we--I was on this trip in Africa, and we had the opportunity, and I figured, if there's any point in my life where I'm gonna skydive, I don't want it to be over somewhere not very exciting. It's a much better story if you say you jumped over the Namib Desert.

Alex: And landed not very close to any wild animals, I hope.

Dana: No. Very open sand.

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
READING TALK $600: We're using every one of these, meaning all available methods

THIS & THAT $800: At the narrowest point of this northern neighbor of Panama, it's only 75 miles from the Pacific to the Caribbean

ELEMENTS $800: Atomic number 55, it's used in atomic clocks

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kristin: $7,200
Dana: $4,400
Hope: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DAM / STRAIT (5/5)
ILLEGAL BABY NAMES (5/5)
THE DOCTORS (3/5)
DRUNK ON LITERATURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"SUPER" (5/5)
SIZE IT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hope: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Dana: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kristin: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dana snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Dana had $6,000, Kristin had $7,200, and Hope was at $3,000. Dana wagered $1,800.

DRUNK ON LITERATURE $1600: Alcoholic Ben Sanderson decides to drink himself to death in Sin City in this John O'Brien novel

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Hope who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Dana had $14,600, Kristin had $15,600, and Hope was at $9,800. Hope wagered $2,000.

SIZE IT $800: This HBO drama melds moms with Monterey murder

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE DOCTORS $1600: Leonard Wood left his job as White House physician to command this regiment; Teddy Roosevelt was its No. 2

THE DOCTORS $2000: The first female to earn a medical degree in the U.S., she opened her own clinic on NYC's Bleecker Street in 1857

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dana: $16,200
Hope: $15,800
Kristin: $12,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Dana: Wager $15,401 to cover Hope.
Hope: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Kristin, hoping that you give the correct response and Dana doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $8,201 to cover Kristin's doubled score, but no more than $15,000 if you want to top Dana on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,799 and win if both Dana and Kristin miss Final.
Kristin: You ought to try wagering between $3,801 and $4,400. This will top a $0 wager by Hope while still beating Dana and Hope on the Triple Stumper (should Dana wager to cover Hope's doubled score and Hope wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This famous work of art was damaged in 1652 when a door was cut into a wall, removing Jesus' feet

FINAL SCORES
Kristin: $12,000 + $8,500 = $20,500 (What is The Last Supper?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Hope: $15,800 + $15,800 = $31,600 (What is The Last Supper) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dana: $16,200 + $15,401 = $31,601 (What is The Last Supper?) (3-day champion: $64,002)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dana: $16,200, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Hope: $14,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kristin: $12,000, 20 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $42,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Kristin: 21/58 = .362
Dana: 20/60 = .333
Hope: 16/59 = .271
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
READING TALK $400: I get it, I hear you, "I read you" these 2 ways
(Kristin: [Without ringing in] What is five by five?)
(Alex: You have to ring in.)
(Kristin: Oh, I'm--)
[Kristin rings in.]
(Alex: There you go. Now you rang in.)
(Kristin: What is five by five?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the Daily Double.]

STEAMED PUNK $800: "Let fury have the hour, anger can be power", these Britpunks sang on the album "London Calling"
(Dana: Who is the Velvet Underground?)

READING TALK $800: An event that will be long remembered is "one for" these, like the ones published by Elias
(Dana: The books? What is the books?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Dana: What is [*]?)

ELEMENTS $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a lightbulb on the monitor.) Because it has the highest melting point of all metals, this element was long used as a filament in incandescent lightbulbs
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

NATIVE AMERICAN $1 COINS $200: This city's skyline is seen on the coin honoring the Mohawk ironworkers who worked on skyscrapers there

NATIVE AMERICAN $1 COINS $400: The belt named for this Onondaga title character of a Longfellow poem symbolized the Iroquois Confederacy

NATIVE AMERICAN $1 COINS $600: Lewis & Clark were assisted by the Manda & Hidatsa, tribes on this stately river who are celebrated on the 2014 coin

NATIVE AMERICAN $1 COINS $800: The 2018 coin features this member of the Sac and Fox tribe, who mastered every sport he tried
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE DOCTORS $1200: He influenced parenting from the 1940s on by stressing affection & allowing for kids' individuality

SIZE IT $1200: Buster Bunny & Plucky Duck star in these animated TV "Adventures"
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

SIZE IT $1600: Possessive preceder of "Playhouse" & "Big Adventure"
(Kristin: What is Peewee?)

SIZE IT $2000: Channing Tatum takes it off again in this 2015 movie sequel
(Kristin: What is Magic Mike XL?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Pomeranian
every trick in the book
Costa Rica
cesium
Leaving Las Vegas
Big Little Lies
the Rough Riders
Elizabeth Blackwell
The Last Supper
I read you loud and clear (or five by five)
The Clash
the record books
tungsten
New York City
Hiawatha
the Missouri River
Jim Thorpe
Dr. Spock
Tiny Toon
Peewee's
Magic Mike XXL
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This famous work of art was damaged in 1652 when a door was cut into a wall, removing Jesus’ feet

Dana Wayne: 16200+15401=31601 (3x = $64,002)
Kristin Philips: 12000+8500=20500
Hope Shinn: 15800+15800=31600

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Last Supper

Daily Doubles
Dana: 800+800
Dana: 6000+1800
9800+2000

Coryats
Dana: 16200
Kristin: 12000
Hope: 14600

Combined: 42,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dana: 4400
Kristin: 7200
Hope: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DD3 had Kristin at 15600 and Dana at 14600 with five clues worth $5600 remaining. Hope did 9800 + 2000 to get all the way up to...still in 3rd place. Ouch.

Kristin negged both the $1600 and $2000 clues in SIZE IT and compounded it with Hope rebounding both for a big swing on the scoreboard.

The FJ! clue had to go 3/3, so huge advantage leader. That was Dana zooming up with a place on the tracker.

Great game today with all three players in five figures.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Mixed Dog Breeds, got all but "every trick in the book", cesium, and Iceland in their categories.

I blanked on Costa Rica yet again. Central American countries are another thing that won't stick no matter how hard I try. But I finally managed to remember which planet is biggest, so... progress?

What was the TOM for New York City in Coins for $200? Lots of cities have skyscrapers, and none of the other words seemed to point to NYC specifically. I almost WAGged Pittsburgh because of metal/steel.

Kerouac = "On the Road" seems to be another one that always slips out of my head when I need it. The same is usually true of Hunter S. Thompson/"Fear and Loathing", but I actually managed to pull that one this time.

Yes, I got "Tiny Toon Adventures". Unlike Animaniacs, I had no issue with TTA.

Old art that has Jesus in it, and a renovation would remove his feet? Let's go with The Last Supper.

Lach Trash: loud and clear
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I nearly lost it after that pitiful DD wager, and didn't stop yelling at the TV for a solid minute. Then she finished $400 off the lead, and drew that slam dunk FJ. Justice was served.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 pm What was the TOM for New York City in Coins for $200? Lots of cities have skyscrapers, and none of the other words seemed to point to NYC specifically. I almost WAGged Pittsburgh because of metal/steel.
Aside from the reference to the Mohawk people, the Empire State Building was on the coin, clear as day.

Speaking of clear, I'm not sure why they negged "5 by 5" in the first place.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pm I nearly lost it after that pitiful DD wager, and didn't stop yelling at the TV for a solid minute. Then she finished $400 off the lead, and drew that slam dunk FJ. Justice was served.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 pm What was the TOM for New York City in Coins for $200? Lots of cities have skyscrapers, and none of the other words seemed to point to NYC specifically. I almost WAGged Pittsburgh because of metal/steel.
Aside from the reference to the Mohawk people, the Empire State Building was on the coin, clear as day.

Speaking of clear, I'm not sure why they negged "5 by 5" in the first place.
I would have wagered 3k but she was in third place and anything more than 3,000 would have given <6k after an incorrect response. I think it was like 14k, 12k,9k.

I'm from NYC so I've seen that view. haha Also Mohawks were in the clue so that gives you NYC/NJ.

And North Atlantic countries, wouldn't that just leave... two?
Iceland and Greenland.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pmthe Empire State Building was on the coin, clear as day.
You mean that microscopic little thing that took up like 0.005% of my screen? I've zoomed the image to 400% and I still can't tell which one it's supposed to be.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

"Five by five" means "loud and clear," for heaven's sake! Of course it's acceptable.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:55 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pmthe Empire State Building was on the coin, clear as day.
You mean that microscopic little thing that took up like 0.005% of my screen? I've zoomed the image to 400% and I still can't tell which one it's supposed to be.
YMMV:
Spoiler
Spoiler
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got the Malamute question right :D
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Dog Breeds played out oddly, got the bottom two while not getting the first three. :?
Jeers to the contestants for running away from Native Americans. :x
Art was way too general a category to precall, but the writers served up another softball FJ. 8-)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:40 pm And North Atlantic countries, wouldn't that just leave... two?
Iceland and Greenland.
it was worse than that. The clue asked for a North Atlantic "island nation" (which eliminates the Danish territory of Greenland) - whose language doesn't use all the letters of the English alphabet (which eliminates any any possible confusion about Great Britain / Ireland). The clue was way overvalued at $2K.

I recognized the Chrysler Building, and not just the ESB, on the Mohawk coin.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pm Speaking of clear, I'm not sure why they negged "5 by 5" in the first place.
I think that's the response that Kristin originally said aloud without ringing in. Alex had to tell her to ring in, then she rang in and gave an "incorrect" response of "5 by 5" (now said twice) which Alex was quick to give a "No" to without consulting the PTB.
davey

Post by davey »

jpr281 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pm Speaking of clear, I'm not sure why they negged "5 by 5" in the first place.
I think that's the response that Kristin originally said aloud without ringing in. Alex had to tell her to ring in, then she rang in and gave an "incorrect" response of "5 by 5" (now said twice) which Alex was quick to give a "No" to without consulting the PTB.
She repeated "What is 5 by 5?"...Maybe like me, they had to look it up. It was completely unfamiliar to me, and I've spent some time in radio stations, where it apparently originates.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,000
48 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: cesium, Rough Riders
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 am DD3 had Kristin at 15600 and Dana at 14600 with five clues worth $5600 remaining. Hope did 9800 + 2000 to get all the way up to...still in 3rd place. Ouch.

Then again, what do I know? I flubbed that DD with Little Big Lies.

Gotta say, I didn't expect Kristin to come up with Social D.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:11 pm
She repeated "What is 5 by 5?"...Maybe like me, they had to look it up. It was completely unfamiliar to me, and I've spent some time in radio stations, where it apparently originates.
I thought it came from the military. Faith in the Buffy TV show used it constantly.

BWA for female physician on Bleecker Street: Stephanie Strange

I first learned The Last Supper was a fresco (and, by extension, what a fresco is) from Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego? (the first cartoon).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:33 pm
davey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:11 pm
I thought it came from the military. Faith in the Buffy TV show used it constantly.
You're right. I saw a reference to radio and made an assumption. It looks like it's used with the 2-way kind...I knew someday I'd regret that I never watched that TV show...
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Good game today. Champ is playing good.

Yes on FJ. Had to think of a famous painting where Jesus' feet were visible... and only came up with one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I could have sworn she said "five by five by five" but since everyone else thinks she said just "five by five" I'm assuming I misheard it.

edit: I did. What I heard as "five, five, five" was actually "five by five." Maybe Alex made the same mistake and that's why she was negged initially.