Thursday, March 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 am DD3 had Kristin at 15600 and Dana at 14600 with five clues worth $5600 remaining. Hope did 9800 + 2000 to get all the way up to...still in 3rd place. Ouch.

Kristin negged both the $1600 and $2000 clues in SIZE IT and compounded it with Hope rebounding both for a big swing on the scoreboard.

The FJ! clue had to go 3/3, so huge advantage leader. That was Dana zooming up with a place on the tracker.

Great game today with all three players in five figures.
typical daily double wager of 2k...and i am sure they have watched the beasts of this game perform before...amazing how people still dont understand situational wagering
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:40 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pm I nearly lost it after that pitiful DD wager, and didn't stop yelling at the TV for a solid minute. Then she finished $400 off the lead, and drew that slam dunk FJ. Justice was served.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 pm What was the TOM for New York City in Coins for $200? Lots of cities have skyscrapers, and none of the other words seemed to point to NYC specifically. I almost WAGged Pittsburgh because of metal/steel.
Aside from the reference to the Mohawk people, the Empire State Building was on the coin, clear as day.

Speaking of clear, I'm not sure why they negged "5 by 5" in the first place.
I would have wagered 3k but she was in third place and anything more than 3,000 would have given <6k after an incorrect response. I think it was like 14k, 12k,9k.

I'm from NYC so I've seen that view. haha Also Mohawks were in the clue so that gives you NYC/NJ.

And North Atlantic countries, wouldn't that just leave... two?
Iceland and Greenland.
even still...the other 2 are neck and neck...she takes a sizeable risk and misses, she is still okay because the 2 ahead of her would be betting a lot...she could stand pat with 0 and still be okay...you want to take a shot and have the ball on your racket to serve it out...not to still be behind and have to hope for final jeopardy misses
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:51 pm Good game today. Champ is playing good.

Yes on FJ. Had to think of a famous painting where Jesus' feet were visible... and only came up with one.
last supper was the only one i could name...had no idea if dude's feet were visible
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

forget which person it was, but they said "the titanic" for the film...shouldn't that have been ruled as incorrect?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:57 am forget which person it was, but they said "the titanic" for the film...shouldn't that have been ruled as incorrect?
I heard that as well, but J! doesn't normally penalize for the addition or omission of leading articles except in cases like Invisible Man/The Invisible Man where that leading article is the only difference between the titles of two famous works.
Sprinkles are for winners.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:56 am
JayK33 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:51 pm Good game today. Champ is playing good.

Yes on FJ. Had to think of a famous painting where Jesus' feet were visible... and only came up with one.
last supper was the only one i could name...had no idea if dude's feet were visible
The Last Supper seemed way too easy for FJ! so I started thinking about other paintings where the feet may have been visible. First to mind was one of the many Adoration of the Magi and then I started considering images depicting the crucifixion. Since I couldn't name a famous one of those I settle on The Last Supper, easy or not.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Dana's game-2 win via savvy wagering enabled her to play game 3 and double her winnings. You go, girl!!!

Meanwhile, my dad the physics/chemistry teacher would be so proud that even his son who did not follow his footsteps into the sciences was able to pick up the LT on cesium.

I'm watching games from now on with a pall around me, wondering if/when this will be the last time I see a game hosted by AT. Poop.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:57 am forget which person it was, but they said "the titanic" for the film...shouldn't that have been ruled as incorrect?
Addition or subtraction of a leading article is not penalized unless there are different works that differ only in the presence or absence of "the" (for instance, there are works called Invisible Man and THE Invisible Man).
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

John Boy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:53 am I'm watching games from now on with a pall around me, wondering if/when this will be the last time I see a game hosted by AT. Poop.
These games were filmed months ago. There are still dozens of unaired episodes, and for now, he's still working on finishing up the season.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (My only miss today was Social Distortion.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *Loud and Clear*, Every Trick in the Book, Costa Rica, Cesium, Rough Riders

Pomeranians are my favorite dog breed!!! :D :D :D
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

FJ was easy enough as is, and then they add Jesus' feet? Ugh, that made it way too easy.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

The reference to installation of a door got my mind tracked on buildings -> Sistine Chapel
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

I was sure they were going to take it away before final Jeopardy. Given that they were such sticklers on the possessive form Pee-Wee's and on Magic Mike XXL vs Xl, The ship can be called the titanic but the movie is simply Titanic. Answering with "the titanic" is wrong.

Conversely, if the movie were the silence of the lambs and she simply had said silence of the lambs, I would've taken it but it doesn't work the other way
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Regarding the idea that the article doesn't matter, I'm not so sure. If they were asking for work by Henry David Thoreau and I answered, "the Walden Pond," I think it would be wrong.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

JyV92 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:44 pm Regarding the idea that the article doesn't matter, I'm not so sure. If they were asking for work by Henry David Thoreau and I answered, "the Walden Pond," I think it would be wrong.
It's been said many times: the rules allow for omission or addition of articles, as long as there is no other work by the added/omitted title. There is nothing else called "The Walden Pond", so your response would be fine, as would answering just "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" for a Will Smith sitcom. The most commonly cited exception to the rule is (The) Invisible Man, since there are works called both "The Invisible Man" and "Invisible Man".