Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Can anyone post a list of the audition cities? My wife balked at the photo requirement, too. I'm sure if Seattle isn't one of the cities she'll pass on the this time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm Can anyone post a list of the audition cities? My wife balked at the photo requirement, too. I'm sure if Seattle isn't one of the cities she'll pass on the this time.
Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Denver, Houston, LA, Milwaukee, Nashville, Savannah, Seattle, D.C.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:52 am
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 am Hump day ... the squirrels ... the caveman in the airport ... the opossum ... some of them are really clever.
It's just not my kind of humor. Even the ones that I think have a halfway decent gag usually drag it out way too long, and make it feel like I'm watching a rejected Family Guy cutaway. (To be fair, the squirrel one and the caveman in the airport were at least reasonably paced. But IMO the caveman one was ruined by going back to the well one time too many -- and that was before they got a sitcom.
triviawayne wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 am I don't know...would you like me to shove a knitting needle directly into your eyeball to find out?
Well, if we go by Family Guy rules, then you'd see me shove it in my eyeball, blood gush out as if from a Happy Tree Friends character, and three solid minutes of me writhing, screaming, and destroying everything within 100 feet of me. In the process I would probably also shove knitting needles into the eyeballs of random celebrities, a Jewish steroetype, a gay stereotype, and the fetus of a pregnant woman. And then randomly cut away to someone singing "Two Princes" by the Spin Doctors while watching an elephant take a dump.
and you must start it off with, "it was like that time I..."
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 am Hump day ... the squirrels ... the caveman in the airport ... the opossum ... some of them are really clever.
Handful of years ago, when my daughter was in 4th or 5th grade, she loved going around on Wednesdays saying "Today is humpday" trying to sound like that commerical to about anyone that would listen. At the time my oldest was in college and my wife would call him on Wednesdays, and give the phone to his sister, she'd do her thing, and then my wife would check in on how my son was doing.

One day my wife does this. Daughter gets the phone does her thing, and gives the phone back to my wife, who discovers she misdailed and called some stranger.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm Can anyone post a list of the audition cities? My wife balked at the photo requirement, too. I'm sure if Seattle isn't one of the cities she'll pass on the this time.
Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Denver, Houston, LA, Milwaukee, Nashville, Savannah, Seattle, D.C.
Yay! Thanks, morbeedo.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Thanks to both morbeedo and seaborgium for the advice! OntarioQuizzer and I are IRL friends and he texted me to advise that he and I are both able to write again (his audition was the day after mine in Toronto in 2017) because it's audition date that matters - not the test date!

So, Andy, even though Columbus is technically closer to us, I'm going to choose Chicago as an audition city so I have an excuse to go harass patkav for a few days!

:lol:
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

I'm going to leave this in here instead of a new thread, because of what's been talked about in this one:

Every audition I've gone to for any show, they take your picture and put it with "your file". Obviously it is part of the casting process while helping people remember who you are.

So I just want to ask here of anyone who was at an in-person audition in the past year--was your picture taken at the audition?

If it was taken at the audition, did you upload a "valid" picture when you registered (one that clearly showed your face, and was only you in the picture)?

I ask because I'm wondering if they want you to upload a picture because they don't want to take it at the audition. When I auditioned in person for Pyramid this year, they didn't take anyone's pictures, but in my interview, they wanted me to go apply on the website "so they would have ALL my information in one place" (some info was on the application there, other stuff was exclusive to the online one, including me uploading a picture).
Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kingrat47 »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:18 am I'm going to leave this in here instead of a new thread, because of what's been talked about in this one:

Every audition I've gone to for any show, they take your picture and put it with "your file". Obviously it is part of the casting process while helping people remember who you are.

So I just want to ask here of anyone who was at an in-person audition in the past year--was your picture taken at the audition?

If it was taken at the audition, did you upload a "valid" picture when you registered (one that clearly showed your face, and was only you in the picture)?

I ask because I'm wondering if they want you to upload a picture because they don't want to take it at the audition. When I auditioned in person for Pyramid this year, they didn't take anyone's pictures, but in my interview, they wanted me to go apply on the website "so they would have ALL my information in one place" (some info was on the application there, other stuff was exclusive to the online one, including me uploading a picture).
I uploaded a picture that clearly showed my face, and that was not wildly flattering. My then-three year old son is in the picture with me, so I suppose by your criteria it wasn't "valid"

At my audition in April 2018, they took my and as best I could tell everyone else's picture. I don't think they're connected at all.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Kingrat47 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:28 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:18 am I'm going to leave this in here instead of a new thread, because of what's been talked about in this one:

I uploaded a picture that clearly showed my face, and that was not wildly flattering. My then-three year old son is in the picture with me, so I suppose by your criteria it wasn't "valid"

At my audition in April 2018, they took my and as best I could tell everyone else's picture. I don't think they're connected at all.
yeah, if they took everyone's picture...then there goes my theory.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What's one current events / pop culture question you predict will appear on this year's online tests?

I'm putting my money on Becoming by Michelle Obama for books and either Barry or The Kominsky Method for TV
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:10 pm What's one current events / pop culture question you predict will appear on this year's online tests?

I'm putting my money on Becoming by Michelle Obama for books and either Barry or The Kominsky Method for TV
they just had becoming on the show, so i have my doubts.

I would bet on the same thing that's on LL today
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:17 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:10 pm What's one current events / pop culture question you predict will appear on this year's online tests?

True, but you do see material from recent episodes appearing on the test

For me, I need the most help on recent sports and music, or I should just plan on missing those questions :)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:19 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:17 pm

True, but you do see material from recent episodes appearing on the test

For me, I need the most help on recent sports and music, or I should just plan on missing those questions :)
I always think the tests are weighted more toward Art&lit and history
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:10 pm
I agree, but I usually get those and miss the gimme pop culture questions.

I only got 50% of that LL Mid-Season Classic question about memoirs. Results are now up, so we can talk about it. Never heard of Educated but I just added myself to the list of NYPL holds* on both the print and e-book copies of Educated - sounds like an insane story! One of the tests asked about Hillbilly Elegy, so I could see them using this one

*Position 2415 of 2415 in holds queue on 686 copies
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:48 pm

I only got 50% of that LL Mid-Season Classic question about memoirs. Results are now up, so we can talk about it. Never heard of Educated but I just added myself to the list of NYPL holds* on both the print and e-book copies of Educated - sounds like an insane story! One of the tests asked about Hillbilly Elegy, so I could see them using this one

I look at the NYT best seller list each week to try and get popular books etched into my brain. Same with IMDB top 10 movies in theaters, and I watch the preview there if I haven't seen a commercial for the movie.
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:48 pm

I look at the NYT best seller list each week to try and get popular books etched into my brain....
That's ambitious! I know the top books largely repeat week to week, still since there are 90 books a week on the various lists they publish, I long ago stopped doing anything more than glance at the top of the lists. I do read the column about bestsellers, "Inside the List," and of course many bestsellers are reviewed in the Times. And I've seen both the authors of Educated and Hillbilly Elegy talk about their books on TV. (J.D. Vance was on 60 Minutes last night.)
The most recent clue about the No. 1 fiction bestseller only required knowing
Spoiler
that crawdads is another word for crayfish
Women Authors for $1200
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... t=crawdads
(Delia Owens was also on CBS yesterday, on Sunday Morning...
goongas

Post by goongas »

They may ask about Green Book or A Star is Born, or Olivia Colman winning for The Favourite, or Rami Malek winning for Bohemian Rhapsody, or other Oscar winners. They will eventually ask about Green Book on the show.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

goongas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm They may ask about Green Book or A Star is Born, or Olivia Colman winning for The Favourite, or Rami Malek winning for Bohemian Rhapsody, or other Oscar winners. They will eventually ask about Green Book on the show.
They did ask for Mr. Robot and Big Little Lies on recent tests. The year they asked for Outlander was my first time hearing about Diana Gabaldon. I think that was the first question and it started with a hiccup so I naturally panicked, and I was taking the test from a hotel room in Dakar. I passed but didn’t get an invite
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

It looks like they've added a test on March 27, according the site.

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

zakharov wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 pm It looks like they've added a test on March 27, according the site.

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j
This appears to be a test for a local West Palm Beach audition, likely put together as a tie-in with the local station.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan