Monday, April 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Monday, April 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:41 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:39 pm The “12 labors” angle never occurred to me until Alex mentioned it. But it was an instaget because I remembered reading “The Cretan Bull” when I was going through my Hercule Poirot phase.
That's what makes Jeopardy! so great! I had Poirot based on "mysteries" and the date - kept looking for the TOM
Yes, I did the same thing--tried to think of a male mystery guy from about the right period and came up with Poirot. Maybe I got a subliminal hint from the clue that led me away from some of the other possibilities and toward Poirot.

edit 1: Incidentally, I've never seen it spelled any way other than Hippolyta. Variant or error? edit 2: Hyppolita is definitely the way it appeared in the clue (not a transcription error). edit 3: clarification.
Last edited by Linear Gnome on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

My wife and I liked the smorgasbordello response so much, we bought www.smorgasbordello.com.
davey

Post by davey »

II'd love to see an FJ clue about Ellery Queen or Nero Wolfe (or even Lord Peter Wimsey or Roderick Alleyn) but I figured this had to be Poirot even though I didn't quite recognize the titles or the Hercules connection...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Nathan and Symbionese Liberation Army.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Last Comic Standing, Yahoo, (Marriage)

As far as I know, Reid's Coryat of $25,600 is the highest ever losing Coryat is it not? At least after the doubled clue amounts?
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:52 am 57 R (Missed Nathan and Symbionese Liberation Army.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Last Comic Standing, Yahoo, (Marriage)

As far as I know, Reid's Coryat of $25,600 is the highest ever losing Coryat is it not? At least after the doubled clue amounts?
I've just looked through all the post-doubled seasons' stats pages on J! Archive, which each include the highest nonwinning Coryat of their respective season, and although most of them do get into the mid-twenties range, yes, $25,600 is the highest since the clue values doubled. But in the last season before the doubling, Bob Waterfall logged a $14,000 Coryat and lost. I suspect Karl Coryat's last game might be pretty high too. [edit: never mind, it was $11,100. I'll be looking through the stats pages for the remaining seasons.]

edit 2:
Richard Kind, $13,000 (Celebrity Jeopardy)
Bob Willoughby, $13,300 (all the more tragic considering this loss kept him out of the ToC)
(Michael Daunt had a $13,700 Coryat in the first game of the International Tournament finals and didn't finish that game in first place, but he got FJ right and surely would have won in a regular game)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Funny that in a game featuring a whole category of them that the word "portmanteau" appears only in a different category to mislabel "supermax".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I breathed a sigh of relief when Steven got the correct FJ and wagered properly. Bigger relief when Reid got FJ wrong.
I've been rooting for Steven to win at least 5 games. It was looking like Reid was going to knock him off for a while. He sure was sharp in the MULTILINGUAL OVERLAPS. It would have taken me more than 15 seconds to figure any of them out, if at all.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: 57 R (Missed Nathan and Symbionese Liberation Army.)
Your avitar could be a charicature of Patty Hearst. LOL
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Glad that Steven won again (good luck tonight, champ!), but I feel bad for Reid. A quick glance of the Archive shows that he might have put up the highest-nonwinning Coryat in, at least, the past decade. Curious to know where he stands in terms of show history, I just don't have time to look.

For FJ, wrote Marlowe first and then switched to Poirot toward the end. Did not make the Hercules connection until very late.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:21 am edit 1: Incidentally, I've never seen it spelled any way other than Hippolyta. Variant or error? edit 2: Hyppolita is definitely the way it appeared in the clue (not a transcription error). edit 3: clarification.
That's how Christie titled it: https://www.agathachristie.com/stories/ ... f-hercules
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Hercule Poirot crossed my mind, but I was 50/50 with him and someone else. I went with the someone else.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

by mikebdoss » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:22 pm

My wife and I liked the smorgasbordello response so much, we bought www.smorgasbordello.com.
Wracks brain furiously for a board appropriate Swedish meatballs joke...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:39 pm The “12 labors” angle never occurred to me until Alex mentioned it. But it was an instaget because I remembered reading “The Cretan Bull” when I was going through my Hercule Poirot phase.
I'm with you, pal. 12 Labors never entered my mind. I also got this right based on the "mystery" angle and date. Felt really stupid for not catching the TOM at the reveal.

I saw Steven's first game on Wednesday but missed Th. and Fr. due to basketball preemption. He looks awfully strong here, although I thought he was on the way out going into FJ. Lucky for him Reid clanked on FJ. Holmes was off by what, 50 years?

LT on Yahoo and Symbionese Liberation Army, the latter of which shows once again how "being of a certain age" can SOMETIMES be a nice advantage.

Now to see if Steven can lock up a ToC berth tonight.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

threearruda wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:38 am Glad that Steven won again (good luck tonight, champ!), but I feel bad for Reid. A quick glance of the Archive shows that he might have put up the highest-nonwinning Coryat in, at least, the past decade. Curious to know where he stands in terms of show history, I just don't have time to look.
Do you have time to scroll up three posts from yours? Right now I have Reid's Coryat as third-highest in a losing effort in a regular game*, and the highest since clue values were doubled.

*Since J! Archive's stats page only shows the highest nonwinning Coryat for each season, my method of finding records higher than Reid's was not exhaustive. That is to say, there could be someone during Bob Willoughby's season who got a Coryat between $12,800 and $13,300, or one who got between $12,800 and $14,000 during Bob Waterfall's season, and I couldn't find them with my method. But I have confirmed it is a record for the latter half of the show's history.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:08 am
What a brilliantly, beautifully constructed FJ! clue.
The clue:
FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1947 collection he solved 12 mysteries, including “The Cretan Bull” & “The Girdle of Hyppolita”

I'm not a big fan of the clue, mainly the word "collection". Was it a compilation of previous years of work? Did Christie (J! Pavlov) write 12 books in a year? 12 chapters? How do we know the "he" was contemporary to 1947? Were the titles metaphors, or the actual 12 Labors?

I decided I'd rather miss with the Hercules TOM over the mystery writer TOM. Got my wish.
"What kind of meteorological device can be either mercury or something you've never heard of?" in the second box was some nasty negbait.
Irony alert: It's possible that most people never heard of an aneroid barometer, but prior to the smart phone era, that's the only kind they've ever seen. That Father's Day gift weather station, or all? analog displays are based on them? Aneroid barometers. Older people might have seen an actual mercury barometer in a science lab. And now, aneroid barometers are obsolete except for their use as eye candy. The little (2mm x 2mm) Barometric Pressure Sensor in your cell phone can tell you what floor you are on in a shopping mall.

(more):
Spoiler
According to my cell phone app (Physics Toolbox).(I don't know how to embed images):

Operating Principle
The barometer contains a small cavity filled with gas that is entirely enclosed. The top side of the cavity is covered with a membrane that has a network of resistors embedded within it. As the pressure increases or decreases, the membrane changes shape. As a result of the change in shape, the resistors in the membrane undergo changes in crystal structure, which then changes their resistivity. Changes in the resistance across the membrane are interpreted as changes in atmospheric pressure.

(In other words, a transducer circuit with a captive reference source)
This was a teachable moment the J! writers missed.

Steve has dodged two scares with a TS and a solo get. Sad for Reid, and I do blame the syntax of the clue for making it seem like a possible compilation of works of any age.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:22 am My wife and I liked the smorgasbordello response so much, we bought www.smorgasbordello.com.
haha good one!
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:04 pm
threearruda wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:38 am Glad that Steven won again (good luck tonight, champ!), but I feel bad for Reid. A quick glance of the Archive shows that he might have put up the highest-nonwinning Coryat in, at least, the past decade. Curious to know where he stands in terms of show history, I just don't have time to look.
Do you have time to scroll up three posts from yours? Right now I have Reid's Coryat as third-highest in a losing effort in a regular game*, and the highest since clue values were doubled.

*Since J! Archive's stats page only shows the highest nonwinning Coryat for each season, my method of finding records higher than Reid's was not exhaustive. That is to say, there could be someone during Bob Willoughby's season who got a Coryat between $12,800 and $13,300, or one who got between $12,800 and $14,000 during Bob Waterfall's season, and I couldn't find them with my method. But I have confirmed it is a record for the latter half of the show's history.
My apologies, Sg.. close reading and the early morning don't go together sometimes. :oops:

Anyways, thanks for your research.. certainly a rather interesting data point.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Did that question about the heart really require a 4-part response, i.e. RA, LA, RV, LV? What a mouthful!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think at least two of my friends have been to Dragon Con.

Surprisingly, "Disenchantment" was my only get in the TV category. I knew it because friends of mine watch it.

Can't say I've heard of Last Comic Standing or Nathan for You.

World of Money was entirely over my head.

Should've gone 4/5 in Duel, but I blanked on the first two.

I could've taken 20 guesses on what language is spoken in Morocco and never gotten close to Arabic. Could be anything,

I said "What are the right and left atrium and ventricle?" on the heart clue.

No guess on FJ! The words in the clue didn't lead me anywhere at all.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:11 pm
The clue:
FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1947 collection he solved 12 mysteries, including “The Cretan Bull” & “The Girdle of Hyppolita”

I'm not a big fan of the clue, mainly the word "collection". Was it a compilation of previous years of work? Did Christie (J! Pavlov) write 12 books in a year? 12 chapters? How do we know the "he" was contemporary to 1947? Were the titles metaphors, or the actual 12 Labors?
This seems like overthinking to me. The majority of FJ!s can be solved by figuring out what the TOM is and why the writers would have included it. Here, if you realize that those are labors of Hercules, the question is, what fictional mystery-solver has a connection to Hercules?
Sprinkles are for winners.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:11 pm
The clue:
FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE

I decided I'd rather miss with the Hercules TOM over the mystery writer TOM. Got my wish.

Just to belatedly answer these questions: twelve short stories, not twelve novels. I believe they were previously published in magazines. The twelve modern cases are supposed to parallel the twelve labo(u)rs in ways sometimes clever and sometimes strained.