random question from 1996

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

random question from 1996

Post by goforthetie »

The random FJ on the front page of the Archive gave me the FJ from this game:
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=602

I noticed that the answer given was Mongolia, even though Kazakhstan is larger and is usually considered landlocked (given that the Caspian Sea is not connected to the ocean). Peter Nielsen would have won had they considered Kazakhstan a correct answer. Was he ever invited back or otherwise acknowledged?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: random question from 1996

Post by StevenH »

Wow, that is a really good question. Not that this proves anything conclusively, but Wikipedia does say that Kazakhstan is the world's largest landlocked country. Is it possible that its status was changed from non-landlocked to landlocked at some point? Either way it is a problematic clue that I think warrants Peter being brought back on the show, unless there has already been some kind of explanation about this issue.
Last edited by StevenH on Sun May 13, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

goforthetie wrote:The random FJ on the front page of the Archive gave me the FJ from this game:

I noticed that the answer given was Mongolia, even though Kazakhstan is larger and is usually considered landlocked (given that the Caspian Sea is not connected to the ocean). Peter Nielsen would have won had they considered Kazakhstan a correct answer. Was he ever invited back or otherwise acknowledged?
Well, technically, the Caspian is connected to the sea via a canal between the Volga and the Don, but you are correct, Kazakhstan is usually considered landlocked.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Maybe they wrote the question before 1992.

What's really funny is the woman who answered China won the game.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
goforthetie wrote:The random FJ on the front page of the Archive gave me the FJ from this game:

Well, technically, the Caspian is connected to the sea via a canal between the Volga and the Don, but you are correct, Kazakhstan is usually considered landlocked.
Unless there's a clarification given we're not privy to, though, Kazakhstan applies. Especially when placed alongside this Final:
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3470

If Kazakhstan is not, then Uzbekistan cannot be double.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Maybe the archiver made an error and Peter really said, like, "Kyrgyzstan".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Le Master wrote:Maybe the archiver made an error and Peter really said, like, "Kyrgyzstan".
Well, considering it was an FJ, he didn't "say" anything. Besides, speaking as an Archivist, we do strive for accuracy in the Archives, going by not only what was said (or, in this case, written), but also confirming with the closed captioning if possible.

In fact, if the Archive refers to the show as "Jepoardy!" on one page, you can be guaranteed that it wasn't a typo, but rather, the show itself that spelled it that way. ;)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

dhkendall wrote: Well, technically, the Caspian is connected to the sea via a canal between the Volga and the Don, but you are correct, Kazakhstan is usually considered landlocked.
I realize that, but river connections don't count when determining landlocked status. Uganda lies on Lake Victoria which drains into the Nile which feeds into the Mediterranean, but nobody would say that this means that Uganda isn't landlocked.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had a chance to look at the game tape and Kazakhstan by Peter was ruled incorrect immediately with no obvious edit. The wording for the FJ clue in the archive is accurate. As to what made it wrong in 1996? Have at it. I can't help.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Just seems like they were wrong, pure and simple. As for if it's worth it to bring Peter back 16 years later ... that's for TPTB to decide, but I'm not holding my breath to see him back.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The '96-'97 season isn't archived in its entirety; is it possible he was brought back on an episode not on J! Archive?
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Probably not, because pretty much everything from the beginning of the sushi bar set on November 11, 1996 and onward is archived. The parts of that season that are missing are mostly episodes from the grid set during September-early November. This episode was December 17, 1996.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

kingskip wrote:Probably not, because pretty much everything from the beginning of the sushi bar set on November 11, 1996 and onward is archived. The parts of that season that are missing are mostly episodes from the grid set during September-early November. This episode was December 17, 1996.
Okay, so almost all the episodes since then have been archived. What does that have to do with the notion that he was brought back in an episode that's not archived?

Also, I know what date the show was. They include the dates in the Archive.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Vanya wrote:Maybe they wrote the question before 1992.
My money's on this option. Before Kazakhstan became independent, Mongolia would have been the correct response.

Maybe they offered Peter cash in lieu of a return appearance? I've heard of that happening.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I tried googling Peter to see if we could get any word directly from him about it, and found an obituary site that could very well be for him. http://www.inmemoryofpeter.com (No mention of Jeopardy there, but it seems like those who posted there met him after 1996.) The pictures don't work, but they do on archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/201102011844 ... peter3.jpg
http://web.archive.org/web/201102011844 ... peter2.jpg

Mark, can you confirm whether it's the same person based on having looked at the show?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Based on the comments, the guy in the obituary sounded like a very bright guy with diverse interests, the type person who would be on the show. One of the comments made reference to him living in Texas at one point.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yeah, I searched for Peter Nielsen Austin Texas. I think I might have included teacher as well. As far as the kind of guy he seemed to have been, that's exactly what I thought.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

The J!Archive says he was a teacher from Austin, whereas the obits all talk about IBM. Although it certainly would not be unheard of for a teacher to switch careers based on the salary differential.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Paucle wrote:The J!Archive says he was a teacher from Austin, whereas the obits all talk about IBM. Although it certainly would not be unheard of for a teacher to switch careers based on the salary differential.
Yes, that's certainly possible. IBM had (may still have) a facility in Austin, so he wouldn't even have needed to move. And I have certainly known plenty of teachers who either left to work in industry (for the money) or vice versa (for the intangible rewards of teaching).
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Paucle wrote:The J!Archive says he was a teacher from Austin, whereas the obits all talk about IBM. Although it certainly would not be unheard of for a teacher to switch careers based on the salary differential.
TheConfessor is from Austin and worked for IBM. He might know whether it's the same person.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."