Monday, April 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7966, 2019-04-08

CONTESTANTS
Matthew Amster-Burton, a podcast host from Seattle, Washington
Maryanne Mowen, an accounting professor from Santa Fe, New Mexico
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 2-day cash winnings total $82,606)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome, everyone. Delighted to have you folks with us for another half-hour of watching three very bright people demonstrate their intellectual stuff. Matthew, Maryanne, James, good luck. Here we go. The categories now in play are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHO'S ON TV? (5/5)
TRUE CRIME BOOK SHELF (5/5)
TRICKS OF THE MIND (5/5)
"TOUCH"-Y, "FEEL"-Y (5/5)
GET YOUR KICKS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ROOT '66 (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 14 R, 1 W
Matthew: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Maryanne: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $4,600
Matthew: $4,000
Maryanne: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Matthew Amster-Burton is from Seattle, Washington. He's a podcast host who wrote a book that was very popular not here in America but in Japan.

Matthew: Yes.

Alex: I wanna hear about that.

Matthew: So my family and I spent a summer in a tiny little apartment in Tokyo one summer, eating everything we could. And I wrote a book about it, thinking it would be a book for Americans to learn more about Japanese food, and it turned out to be much more popular in Japanese translation. So apparently, people in Japan wanted to read about their own food.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Maryanne Mowen, from Santa Fe, New Mexico. Met her husband on a semi-blind date. What is a semi-blind date?

Maryanne: It means that I knew it was a blind date, but he didn't.

Alex: Oh.

Maryanne: On Monday evening, he called my friend and asked her out for Friday night. On Wednesday, her fiancé called and said, "I can come in and see you on Friday." So rather than--she couldn't contact my husband, John, so rather than stand him up, I stood in. And on Friday night, the doorbell rang. I opened it and said, "John?" And he looked at me and went, "Susie?" And we corrected that.

[Laughter]

Maryanne: And it went very, very well.

Alex: Since then. All right. Good.

Alex: James Holzhauer is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. What's this about you having to be rescued by a Navy helicopter in Death Valley?

James: Yeah, I decided to go climb some cliffs in Death Valley. And on one of them, my holds broke. I fell about 20 feet, broke my ankle, and couldn't make it back to my car. So after about six hours of waiting, a helicopter came and got me. Some Navy Black Hawk helicopter men.

Alex: Okay, good. Well, you're here.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matthew found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. James had $5,400, Maryanne had $600, and Matthew was at $4,800. Matthew made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,800.

GET YOUR KICKS $600: The history of these New York City high kickers began with a troupe founded in St. Louis

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ROOT '66 $600: Modern auto safety took a big step in '66 as LBJ signed bills mandating seatbelts & rupture-resistant these
(James: What are air bags?)
(Matthew: What are tires?)

GET YOUR KICKS $400: In 2015 the NFL moved the spot for this kind of kick back to the 15-yard line

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matthew: $10,000
James: $7,600
Maryanne: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOTELS (5/5)
THEATRE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EMPIRES & DYNASTIES (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CAROL KAYE PLAYED BASS ON THAT (5/5)
JUST YOUR AVERAGE CATEGORY (3/5)
THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER, WHY? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 16 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Matthew: 7 R, 0 W
Maryanne: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. James had $10,000, Maryanne had $2,000, and Matthew was at $10,000. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $10,000.

EMPIRES & DYNASTIES $1200: Rulers of this empire included Darius I & his son Xerxes I

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. James had $26,800, Maryanne had $5,200, and Matthew was at $10,000. James wagered $8,615.

THEATRE $2000: Act 1 of this autobiographical Eugene O'Neill drama begins at 8:30 a.m.; Act 4 begins at midnight

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
JUST YOUR AVERAGE CATEGORY $1200: This 8-letter adjective for middling effort comes from words meaning "halfway up the mountain"

JUST YOUR AVERAGE CATEGORY $800: A sufficient effort is this, as is a road once it has been cleared of debris

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $43,815 (lock game)
Matthew: $17,600
Maryanne: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLLYWOOD HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $8,614 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Matthew: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,599 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Maryanne: You've no hope of catching up... unless Matthew does something stupid. So risk $5,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On June 6, 2018 the Chinese Theatre dimmed its lights to honor Jerry Maren, who lived to the greatest age of any of this 1939 group

FINAL SCORES
Maryanne: $6,000 + $4,000 = $10,000 (Who are the Munchkins?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Matthew: $17,600 - $5,600 = $12,000 (Who are the ... nope.) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $43,815 + $7,030 = $50,845 (Who are the Munchkins? Happy birthday Pops ♥) (3-day champion: $133,451)
(Alex: [To Maryanne] The Wizard of Oz was filmed right here at this studio.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $28,400, 30 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Matthew: $13,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Maryanne: $6,000, 8 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $47,800

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 31/60 = .517
Matthew: 17/59 = .288
Maryanne: 9/58 = .155
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ROOT '66 $400: Born in '66, this former pop singer has become a best-selling country artist without the Blowfish

TRUE CRIME BOOK SHELF $600: "In All-American Murder", James Patterson turned to the case of this convicted NFL player who took his own life in prison
[ERRATUM: The clue's quotation marks include "In" as part of the book title, though the title is All-American Murder.]

WHO'S ON TV? $600: Streaming on Amazon:
"Sneaky" him
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

TRICKS OF THE MIND $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an Ebbinghaus illusion on the monitor.) In an Ebbinghaus illusion, the two circles in the centers of the groupings appear to be different sizes, but they're really the same--the spacing & size of the other circles plays on our sense of this, from the Latin for "to look closely"

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER, WHY? $400: London's Millennium Bridge over this river was designed to perfectly frame St. Paul's Cathedral, if you're walking the right way

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER, WHY? $1600: Ferries in local waters not being the smoothest ride, it was built starting in 1933 so you could drive from San Francisco to Oakland
(Maryanne: What is the Golden Gate Bridge?)
(James: What is the Bay Bridge...[*]?)

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER, WHY? $800: The Tappan Zee over the Hudson in N.Y. was deemed unsafe, so it was replaced by a new bridge named for this late governor
(Matthew: Who is Cuomo?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Matthew: [*].)

CAROL KAYE PLAYED BASS ON THAT $800: The score for this 1987 Ritchie Valens biopic; she'd played guitar on the 1959 song of the same title
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

CAROL KAYE PLAYED BASS ON THAT $400: That's legendary session musician Carol Kaye playing bass on "Good Vibrations" & a bunch of other hits by this band
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Rockettes
fuel tanks
extra point following a touchdown
Persia
Long Day's Journey into Night
mediocre
passable
the Munchkins
(Darius) Rucker
Aaron Hernandez
Pete
perception (or perspective)
the Thames
the San Francisco Bay Bridge
Mario Cuomo
La Bamba
the Beach Boys
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLLYWOOD HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On June 6, 2018 the Chinese Theatre dimmed its lights to honor Jerry Maren, who lived to the greatest age of any of this 1939 group

James Holzhauer: 43815+7030=50845 (3x = $133,451)
Maryanne Mowen: 6000+4000=10000
Matthew Amster-Burton: 17600-5600=12000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Munchkins [Lollipop Guild would have to be right also] (James – added Happy Birthday Pops <3) (Matthew – Who are the…nope.)

Daily Doubles
Matthew: 4800+4800
James: 10000+10000
James: 26800+8615

Coryats
James: 28400
Maryanne: 6000
Matthew: 13400

Combined: 47,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 7600
Maryanne: 2400
Matthew: 10000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If I was in James's shoes I would be kicking myself over not knowing the NFL kick moved back to the 15-yard line more than being excited over the big win on day 3.

Matthew made a good showing (nice all-in on DD1) through 59 clues, but there was no overcoming James making huge gains on DD2 and DD3. Matthew was fortunate that Maryanne could do nothing to take the $2K for second place.

In three games James seems to be very good on the buzzer and material. His DD strategy is paying off big time. I have not seen greatness yet, so James is more Austin Rogers than Ken Jennings at this point.

The FJ! clue is one where I was tempted to go the more specific route while I went for the expected simpler response on paper. The clue could have been "Maren group" and I would have had it right.

Does James has a date and shout out planned for each day?
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I knew he was a Munchkin, but would "Wizard of Oz cast" been incorrect?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Third great win in a row against a legit opponent. This is going to be special.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am I knew he was a Munchkin, but would "Wizard of Oz cast" been incorrect?
The judges and Alex would not appreciate a trouble-making response like that one. It's fine to give yourself a correct for the weekly poll. If you had been on the stage you do not want to give the powers a chance to neg you. I don't care enough to figure out if someone else from the complete cast lived to a greater age.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am Does James has a date and shout out planned for each day?
I find his consistent FJ shout outs interesting as further confirmation of subtler strengths:

-rapid FJ knowledge (no surprise, given his regular game play)
-confidence (presuming that he's only wasting time on a shoutout if he KNOWs he's right)
-fast on the light pen (minor, but important in FJ!)

Love him or hate him, IMO it's always fun to watch a big winner!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am I knew he was a Munchkin, but would "Wizard of Oz cast" been incorrect?
Wikipedia says he was the oldest of the Munchkins and the oldest cast member with a speaking or singing role, but I guess that leaves open some background cast members who lived to be older than him. My favorite long-lived cast member in this group (though she died in 2006 at 93 as compared to Maren's 98) was Lois January, the cat lady at the end.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

RobW wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:50 pmI find his consistent FJ shout outs interesting as further confirmation of subtler strengths...
Let's wait until he faces a few more FJ!s that aren't gimmes before jumping to conclusions, shall we? So far, two of his three clues have been "name a salty lake in the U.S." and "name a famous group from a 1939 movie". And as others have pointed out, the Berlin/Bern clue had several different avenues toward solving it.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I would not call today’s a “gimme.” Yes for a top player 1939 leads you quickly to two specific movies. But most folks will whiff on that one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:19 pm I would not call today’s a “gimme.” Yes for a top player 1939 leads you quickly to two specific movies. But most folks will whiff on that one.
It's 2/3 on the show and perhaps 5/5 on this board giving credit to you, RKS, Jay, and Rob even if not specifically posted as a get.

The one miss we've seen is no guess by Matthew.

Legitimate possible misses?
Flying Monkeys
Winkie Guards (those chanters)
Lullaby League

GWTW route - Confederate soldiers

Hollywood history route - Goldwyn Bros., Hollywood Ten, MGM thinking Maren was an M...

A blank sheet seems more likely than any of the above wrong guesses. 1939 is an iconic movie year, yet those that fight to get 35 right on the test will not have all of the other classic movies in the mix to go astray.

Wizard should be the Pavlov off the year and from there the right group should be guessable even with zero knowledge of Mr. Maren. The clue may be a tad below gimme level while I'll take over 75% on the weekly poll even though movie history/trivia can be a weakness here and on the show.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:19 pm Yes for a top player 1939 leads you quickly to two specific movies.
For a "top" player, 1939 should lead you to ten nominees for Outstanding Picture, but only one nominee has a "group" of individuals both identifiable and famous enough for an FJ!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:58 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:19 pm Yes for a top player 1939 leads you quickly to two specific movies.
For a "top" player, 1939 should lead you to ten nominees for Outstanding Picture, but only one nominee has a "group" of individuals both identifiable and famous enough for an FJ!
It should lead a "top" player to two films, because a top player knows that FJ is never going to ask about Dark Victory, and even Stagecoach is a bit too much for an FJ.

But my point is that most people can't rattle off the year of The Wizard of Oz off the top of their heads.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I would hope most Jeopardy! champions could... 1939 as the pinnacle of the Golden Age of Hollywood is fairly chestnutty, and the 1939 Best Picture nominees are a nice manageable list, like Secretaries-General of the U.N. or Harry Potter book titles or Canadian provinces.

I agree Dark Victory would not likely end up as a Final response in regular play, but never say never (the fact that it starred Bette Davis makes it more notable than several of the other films in the ten).
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

One of the highest Coryats of the season no doubt. Roll on, James!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Here's a TMZ report of a Munchkin who is still alive. She's a young 86, though.

https://www.tmz.com/2018/06/08/wizard-o ... n-kenmore/

And according to this article, a Winkie guard who also served as Tin Man's stunt double is still alive at 101. According to his Wikipedia article, he played football for USC.

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-cast-of-th ... till-alive
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I should have gotten FJ!. I know well enough that 1939 is a big movie year and should have started thinking about groups appearing in movies, but I somehow convinced myself that there was a Warner brother whose first and middle names were Jerry Maren.

I'm curious to see how the nature and duration of James's run develop.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew the name of Anton LeVay, but clammed because I thought "Root" was in quotation marks. Oops.

"Rupture resistant" = not airbags or tires = ??? I could've taken years and not gotten to fuel tanks.

Golden Gate was huuuuuuuuuuuuuge negbait on "Blah blah blah California bridge" (Bridge on the River, Why? for $1,600). Screw you, writers.

Yes, I got the Howard Johnson's clue. Possible poll request: "I have eaten at a Howard Johnson's restaurant." I would be able to check that box.

Considering I don't recognize Carol Kaye's name at all, I was surprised that I went 4/5 there (all but $2,000).

No guess on FJ! The words in the clue didn't lead me anywhere at all. I didn't process that the 1939 was hinting at a 1939 movie, and "this group" had me thinking of early 20th century "groups" that had actual names, e.g., Algonquin Round Table.

Lach Trash: mediocre
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had no idea on FJ.

I think that the Sameer Rai who James plays tomorrow is the same Sameer Rai who was considered to be the best high school quiz bowl player in the country during his junior year. I kept score for his team in a round or 2 at the NAQT high school national tournament that year (2013), and I still can't find the words to describe how good he was. I think that he regressed after that due to a lack of playing, and of course quiz bowl prowess doesn't always translate to high skills at J!, but it's interesting that James has drawn another high profile opponent.