Sony Reportedly Searching For Alex's Replacement

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

georgetrev
Contributor

Re: Sony Reportedly Searching For Alex's Replacement

Post by georgetrev »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 pm I would like the replacement to be a hologram of Alex Trebek.
Voiced by Will Ferrell.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

J!'s twitter account retweeted a pic of Ben Mankiewicz, a name mentioned a few times above, and Alex behind the podium. Apparently there's a special TCM category airing Thursday, but I find it interesting that he must have taped the clues at the studio. Is that normal practice for video clues / clues with guest readers?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ouachiouat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:22 pm J!'s twitter account retweeted a pic of Ben Mankiewicz, a name mentioned a few times above, and Alex behind the podium. Apparently there's a special TCM category airing Thursday, but I find it interesting that he must have taped the clues at the studio. Is that normal practice for video clues / clues with guest readers?
In-studio clues have been read in the past, usually by someone who happened to be there for a Celebrity episode.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
earendel

Post by earendel »

georgetrev wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:32 am
Vintsanity wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:38 pm Why are people saying a comedian wouldn't work for a host?
Remember Cedric The Entertainer's short tenure on Millionaire?
And Terry Crews also.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Post by lillypie82 »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:30 am Setting aside the woman/POC angle, I could see Pete Buttigieg in the role, if the whole running for President thing doesn’t work out, that is ;)
Jeopardy host is a MUCH better job than POTUS anyways!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Let's see... on the one hand, longer potential tenure, 30x to 40x higher pay, work only 46 days a year, no 3:00 a.m. phone calls, no Congressional oversight (unless we're back in the '50s). Downsides: no personal drivers or pilots, no security detail for life for you and your whole family, no private jumbo jet, no fancy house or private retreat grounds. Either way, you can probably get a pretty decent book deal when you're done. Either way, your hair is a lot grayer when it's over.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:27 pm Let's see... on the one hand, longer potential tenure, 30x to 40x higher pay, work only 46 days a year, no 3:00 a.m. phone calls, no Congressional oversight (unless we're back in the '50s). Downsides: no personal drivers or pilots, no security detail for life for you and your whole family, no private jumbo jet, no fancy house or private retreat grounds. Either way, you can probably get a pretty decent book deal when you're done. Either way, your hair is a lot grayer when it's over.
Either way, you get music played when you enter a room.
MartinMoore
Contributor

Post by MartinMoore »

What about Brooke Burns as a possibility? The Chase showed that can she can keep things moving at a fast pace.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Too soon.
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

I read recently that The Powers That Be (Sony) have said they will not want to change anything about how the game is played but they want to "refresh" it. To me "refresh" means "dumb down." I hope I'm wrong. I've been watching this wonderful show since the Art Fleming days as a child, at 12 Noon when I came home for lunch and in the summer.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Trebek's success is because of his authenticity. Purportedly he would take the contestant exam each year and consistently pass. It would be nice if they could choose someone who knows the material and isn't just a pretty face for the cameras.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:42 pm I read recently that The Powers That Be (Sony) have said they will not want to change anything about how the game is played but they want to "refresh" it. To me "refresh" means "dumb down." I hope I'm wrong. I've been watching this wonderful show since the Art Fleming days as a child, at 12 Noon when I came home for lunch and in the summer.
I would think it means more about the set and the music to differentiate it from the Trebek era. The set hasn't been changed in a long time, and I suspect that was due to the expected retirement of AT. They won't be able to do all that and change the fabric of the game, it would be too much and many viewers would be lost.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If a new host has a salary well below that of Alex Trebek perhaps some of the freed up money could get that bump many have requested her for 2nd and 3rd place amounts? $1000+$2000=$3000 for however many regular shows occur. Not accurate, but let's call it 200 shows. That's $600,000 given to the non-winners.

Let's make the new consolation prizes $2000+$3000=$5000 for $1M and an $400K increase. Seems reasonable and possible.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm If a new host has a salary well below that of Alex Trebek perhaps some of the freed up money could get that bump many have requested her for 2nd and 3rd place amounts? $1000+$2000=$3000 for however many regular shows occur. Not accurate, but let's call it 200 shows. That's $600,000 given to the non-winners.

Let's make the new consolation prizes $2000+$3000=$5000 for $1M and an $400K increase. Seems reasonable and possible.
I can't imagine the budget works that way - $400K over 230 episodes is minuscule for a show like Jeopardy. I've always assumed the second and third place prizes are exactly where they want them.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have said this before, but they should give players a free hotel room while they are taping. They could work out a sponsorship deal with a hotel with some sort of on air mention like "Contestants on Jeopardy stay at...". And also provide a shuttle to and from the studio. I think they pick you up if you stay at the suggested hotel (which probably isn't cheap) but you have to call a cab for afterwards. It really wouldn't cost them anything and make it more affordable to players who don't win a small fortune in every episode.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:45 am I have said this before, but they should give players a free hotel room while they are taping. They could work out a sponsorship deal with a hotel with some sort of on air mention like "Contestants on Jeopardy stay at...". And also provide a shuttle to and from the studio. I think they pick you up if you stay at the suggested hotel (which probably isn't cheap) but you have to call a cab for afterwards. It really wouldn't cost them anything and make it more affordable to players who don't win a small fortune in every episode.
In these modern times, it's probably more likely to be Uber or Lyft than a cab! I think part of the shuttle problem is that sometimes the losing contestants will stick around, and sometimes they'll leave immediately, which would make the logistics involving a hotel shuttle bus a bit tricky.

Anyway, they used to have this type of deal for the tournaments with the Beverly Hilton, but that was back when it was owned by Merv Griffin.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I would say the bus leaves after the last game is done. If you want to leave early, it’s on your dime.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

RKane wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 am I think Aisha Tyler would be an excellent choice, maybe the best possible choice (I used to think it would be neat if Ken or Brad took the job, but I no longer think so). Certainly the fact that she was in DEATH SENTENCE, which is an outstanding film if you haven't seen it, is another plus. I don't think her skin colour or gender matter one way or the other, that really shouldn't be a factor in choosing a new host, especially given the condescending way the article mentions it.
Well, naturally you'd be in favor of the woman who provides the voice of Lana Kane. And I agree it would be fun to hear her respond "Yuppp" and "Noooooooope" to contestants. But if the new host is going to be anyone from Archer, I really think it should be Sterling Archer himself. He has an impressively deep fund of knowledge and he looks great in a tux, which he should totally wear if he gets the job. I know, I know. You're remembering that time when he thought Ireland was an Axis Power in World War II. It was an honest mistake and he had a more erudite explanation for it than most of us boardies could muster.