Tuesday, April 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

ACW wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:41 pm
Also, 110,914 seems somewhat random.
His daughter was born 11/09/14.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well, that was a televised murder. Holy shit.

Also, if they going to keep serving up FJs like this, just cut him a check for a million now and save the trouble.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

That was awesome. Way to go James!

Friendly boards, weaker opponents, hit the daily doubles, supreme confidence, amazing buzzer speed, deep knowledge. It all came together today. That was fun to watch!

(for the record, 32800 Coryat, fj 😊 for me)
Golf

Post by Golf »

Well, that was fun to watch. Ariana gift-wrapped him the last DD by continuing to go to the top of the category late.

Admittedly, some of his gets in DJ were impressive while the DD's and FJ's have been pretty simple thus far.

His buzzer/knowledge skills are approaching the point where his winning chances could actually be enhanced with min DD wagers. Most games KJ was so dominant that DD's simply did not matter. Am curious to see what happens when he eventually craters on a big DD.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Due to a slate of evening classes this semester, I can rarely watch. Tonight was the only night this week I didn't have a commitment and could watch, and the first time I've been able to see James play.

Wow. I figured this was the first major record that would go down based on his wagers so far and the fact that there are only a few records J! might hype as being broken, but to take it down by that much.....wow.

Winning 1 more game probably gets him invited to every super tourney for the next 30 years, I'd think....and it may not even take another win.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This may be the first time I've ever shouted at the TV during J! in a good way. I literally never thought anyone would achieve a six-figure score in one game.

====

All but "reporter" in "Porter". The clue just seemed like gibberish to me.

Finally got a Lord of the Flies clue.

"Posada" is yet another Spanish word that I've never heard before.

NHO the bottom two Cat idioms.

No guess on FJ! I tried racking my brains for two-word terms meaning steps foward and couldn't come up with anything physics-related. I didn't know "quantum leap" had any other meanings besides the TV show.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:54 pm
That one was really more of a sports question.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I can't believe what I just saw. Congrats to James!

I actually couldn't connect the dots on FJ.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My rule of thumb: If it's a science FJ, and I insta-get it, it's not a hard one.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

ACW wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:41 pm
PlayerWM86 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:51 amI have a feeling we may have our first superchamp of 2019, while we're at it.
What makes a superchamp?

Is he the first to get over $100k in 1 game? :shock:

Also, 110,914 seems somewhat random.
It's not random. As James mentioned in his interview segment today, 11/9/14 is the date his child was born.

About the game itself, what is there to say? We are privileged to see a brilliant and exciting player just crushing it in a way that's unprecedented. And in particular, it was a treat to get to watch today's jaw-dropping performance. His record-shattering $25,000 gain on DD3 is a mere footnote in a game that there aren't enough superlatives for. Even though I'm sure it'll be at least a couple of years until the next supertournament, I can't wait to see James play against people like Brad, Ken, Alex, Larissa, and Roger.

Incidentally the computer simulation on TJF now has James's average streak lasting for 30.5 wins.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Well Frank... I'm sad to see your record go. but as a consolation, none of James's gets so far have been as mind-blowingly deep as, say, Tweedledee & Tweedledum.
RKane wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:02 pmI don't love the idea of anyone breaking Frank's record (something about the fact it has stood for 29 years while other records come and go tugs at the heartstrings) but if someone has to, it may as well be James.
Well... never mind five days lol. So James now holds the four- and five-day records. I assume Austin has the six-day record and it's amazing to think James nearly broke that too.

All hail the king.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

And thus, the game was never the same.

I can't believe what I just witnessed.

Here's this to chew on: James won more today than EIGHT members of the current ToC field in all of their games .. AQ's Rachel, Gilbert and Dhruv, and the quintet of other 4x champs still on the bubble. In the past two days, James has won more than everyone except Josh (only a few thousand more). Simply incredible.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Well Frank... I'm sad to see your record go. but as a consolation, none of James's gets so far have been as mind-blowingly deep as, say, Tweedledee & Tweedledum.
RKane wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:02 pmI don't love the idea of anyone breaking Frank's record (something about the fact it has stood for 29 years while other records come and go tugs at the heartstrings) but if someone has to, it may as well be James.
Well... never mind five days lol. So James now holds the four- and five-day records. I assume Austin has the six-day record and it's amazing to think James nearly broke that too.

All hail the king.

~

Anyways, what records did he break today?

Of course:
-most money in a game
-most money over first four games
-most money over first five games (assuming we allow this to be considered a record even though he technically only played four)
-most money going into FJ

But I would imagine also:
-highest DD bet (Roger's $18k was the largest IIRC - and would still hold the record for the largest TDD in that case)
-most total DD winnings in a game (again, I think the time Roger scooped up $27k was the most)
-highest score after SJ (this wasn't such a blowout but I can't recall anyone hitting 10k before)
-largest FJ bet
-highest score across two consecutive games (this blows Kens $52k-$75k and Austin's $65k-$69k combos out of the water, for instance, I can't think of anyone else who could come close)
-highest score across any two games (ditto)

I imagine that there will be similar such records for largest score across any n games and n consecutive games for all n ∈ β„• going forward but I have no idea how this could be definitely checked.

It was not the highest Coryat (for instance, the time Ken got 75k that was higher) though, for instance. For that reason, I suspect also the number of correct responses was not a record but I can't say for sure. Another record I would be curious about in general is most correct responses without a miss, if anyone knows this let me know.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Am I the guy that said "I hope James wins that $80,000 I was hoping for sometime this week"? What $80,000?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

RKane wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 pm Well... never mind five days lol. So James now holds the four- and five-day records. I assume Austin has the six-day record and it's amazing to think James nearly broke that too.

-highest score after SJ (this wasn't such a blowout but I can't recall anyone hitting 10k before)

James did miss one clue tonight. Nevertheless, he probably got very close to the most correct responses in one game (I think Ken has James' 42 beat by a couple). Austin holds the six day record and yeah that's nuts he's close to beating that too. I believe all of your other stated records check out except for the SJ one.

I don't know what the SJ record is, but it's definitely not $13k. There are certainly more examples (even non-ToC players such as Dave Mattingly and Matt Hoffer-Hawlik have posted higher first round totals), but the highest I know of are the three (?) times Ken broke $16k, Matt Jackson's tenth game ($16,800), and adjusted, Brad Rutter's $16,400 in his ToC QF.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

pdano wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:57 pmHoly hell.
Yep, that about sums it up.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Wobblers, Dead Cat Bounce, and Peers.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Catches No Mice(The only stumper for the third time this season.)

New One Day Record!
Douglas Squasoni
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
ACW wrote: Also, 110,914 seems somewhat random.
His daughter was born 11/09/14.
The dude left over $20,000 on the table for that? As much as I like numerology, that's carrying it a bit too far IMO. Not only could he have bumped up the record to the equivalent of KJ's 74 wins, that $20G could have gone into his daughter's college fund.
MarkBarrett wrote:A win tomorrow and then anything is possible including breaking his own 1-day record. If he does it, my wish would be to do it at a pretty number like the previous 34, 50, 75 and & 77K benchmarks.
Too bad he didn't set it at 131,000 this time. It seems possible that he could have another chance at 110,914 in a future game, when he has less of a cushion to work with. Again, I don't mind the personalized numbers, but not at the cost of leaving five figures on the table.

That being said, I am still a fan of his personality and will be rooting for him to have a nice long run. His upcoming game(s) are definately going to be interesting to watch.
Last edited by Category 13 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 pm Well, that was a televised murder. Holy shit.

Also, if they going to keep serving up FJs like this, just cut him a check for a million now and save the trouble.
for real...if i am getting a fricking science based final jeopardy clue, then it is an uber softball for sure
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:54 pm This may be the first time I've ever shouted at the TV during J! in a good way. I literally never thought anyone would achieve a six-figure score in one game.

====

All but "reporter" in "Porter". The clue just seemed like gibberish to me.

Finally got a Lord of the Flies clue.

NHO the bottom two Cat idioms.

No guess on FJ! I tried racking my brains for two-word terms meaning steps foward and couldn't come up with anything physics-related. I didn't know "quantum leap" had any other meanings besides the TV show.
didn't know what posada meant..but got there because of jorge and yankees