Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 9, 2019

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JemRiffster
Contributor

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 9, 2019

Post by JemRiffster »

Got 48. Missed Bolshoi and RNA. I also misspelled "solicitor" as "soliciter", but if they accept any misspellings, they should accept that one...

I hope.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

44/50. Should've been 45 but I thought it was Hainesberry instead of Hansberry. Even dumber was saying Hudson instead of East River.
lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Post by lillypie82 »

If you listen to Ken Jennings' Omnibus podcast, he mentioned the Museo del Prado (#29 - Spain's national museum) in the episode on The Garden of Earthly Delights from ONE WEEK AGO, which I just listened to TODAY and still missed the question on tonight's test.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

First 34 right by the skin of my teeth having to correct Bhutan to the right country for Dhaka and almost blanking on the movie studio. It was downhill from there with 5 misses in the final 16 including 3 of the last 4.

Misses:
Ajax instead of Achilles while also considering Hector
Working my way towards digging halogen and got as far as halite
Was not prepared to recall the taxonomy as 10th grade biology was too long ago and the common mnemonics were not at the ready in a time crunch
Bankroll was not there for my only blank answer
Guessed DK Khaled while I could have picked out Glover/Gambino in a multiple choice

That's two science, a word origin, current music and classic lit. I'm happy I got all the fun stuff of sports, movies and TV.

About 40 of my gets were no doubters with read, write and watching the clock count down from 10 or 9 seconds remaining. Geography is not a strength as I coin-tossed Columbia right with Willamette while dreading it could be the Missouri. My coin also fell right for East over Hudson.

Hammer it's one official crack at the audition. Do not do the other tests. High 30s is perfectly fine as you can see by other posts. Congratulations and best wishes to get an invite.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Don't do the test at 1.5 speed on YouTube to practice.

41 right, but missed 4 of the last 7 as it all got too much for me. I'll slow it down for realsies tomorrow.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

VAdame wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 pm Missed 6 outright -- Red Dead Redemption, Chevron, Billions (never heard of it), Philip K. Dick (waaaah, I blanked on who wrote it!), Pavarotti (blanked on his name although I knew who they meant!), and RNA (back & forth between DNA/RNA.)

3 others, I may have run out of time trying to fix typos (Hesse, which I spelled Haesse, Flamenco, and A Farewell to Arms.) Hope they'll accept "Frrewell"!

So, somewhere between 41 & 44. OK, I'm good.
That happened to me! I had a typo for Farewell and wound up with the whole answer incomplete.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

CyrusChan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 pm
VAdame wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 pm Missed 6 outright -- Red Dead Redemption, Chevron, Billions (never heard of it), Philip K. Dick (waaaah, I blanked on who wrote it!), Pavarotti (blanked on his name although I knew who they meant!), and RNA (back & forth between DNA/RNA.)

3 others, I may have run out of time trying to fix typos (Hesse, which I spelled Haesse, Flamenco, and A Farewell to Arms.) Hope they'll accept "Frrewell"!

So, somewhere between 41 & 44. OK, I'm good.
That happened to me! I had a typo for Farewell and wound up with the whole answer incomplete.
Good luck!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I think I had 44/50.

Wrong answers spoilerized:
Spoiler
"Halogen" and "extremities" came to me an instant after time ran out.
Drew a blank on "Billions", "orchid", and "green-eyed monster".
Knew the video game was "Red (something)" but all I could think of was "Red"; this game recently came up in Learned League.
Did anyone else notice that there was no Rhyme Time question tonight?
Last edited by Blue Lion on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

48/50. Missed Red Dead Redemption and Billions.
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

45/50...

7 - Puccini. Unfortunately, I started with '-ini' and worked backwards...
14 - memory gap...one day...
18 - oregano. And I LIKE pesto sauce!
33 - Hudson with low confidence anyway. A bridge too far...
35 - Agamemnon BUT!...

I want to challenge 35. The clue says it's about "this greatest Greek warrior, King of the Myrmidons" I was certain I'd never seen Achilles referred to as a king and Google seems to agree. "King of the Myrmidons" appears reserved for Peleus, Achilles' father (excepting a BBC special). Agamemnon, though, is a king.

Academic, to be sure, but I am a little miffed...I did type out Achilles, then saw king, erased it and put Agamemnon in...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

boson wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 pm Don't do the test at 1.5 speed on YouTube to practice.

41 right, but missed 4 of the last 7 as it all got too much for me. I'll slow it down for realsies tomorrow.
LOL. I think I did that once and couldn't figure out what was happening!

I was apprehensive tonight, because I'm taking it for real and the Florida test was a cakewalk (I thought). Tonight felt harder under pressure, but I pulled out ~45 right answers, accounting for typos. Of course, now I'm worried that last names alone are NOT going to be sufficient (Dick, Dumas, Hansberry), or just William for William I (The Conqueror). I didn't feel like typing more than necessary

Got too many of these at the last possible moment: halogens, chevron, French Quarter Pouinder (sic), but I'm pretty sure I cleared the bar tonight! (phew)

Feel dumb about missing This is America and Farewell to Arms (which I also missed in LL) (sigh)

Don't know why I wrote "El Prado" instead of Prado or Museo del Prado, but I should get credit
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Obviously, this was much tougher than the Florida test. I got a 41 playing off the video, my worst score on one of these in a long time (I take the test for real tomorrow). My misses:

Red Dead Redemption
basil
Philip K. Dick
O'Henry
Achilles (I knew it, but it took me until just after time ran out on the clue to pull it/0
orchid
woodwind
flamenco
Donald Glover
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

45 R. tyvm for keeping up the posts. bbl!

PS Gave Hudson, then with 3s left try to change to East lol...choked on bankroll, PK Dick, Billions.

NHO "red dead redemption." GLTA!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goongas

Post by goongas »

38 for fun off the video
Spoiler
if they take Hainsberry
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:41 pm ETA: Will it let you take more than one?
I think it lets you take another, but if you do, it voids them all.

Would have had 41 on this one.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Took tonight's test off of Sue Herder's recording (Thanks, Sue!). Will probably take tomorrow's to continue my now 34-year attempt to get on the show (Yes, I first took the test back in 1985. Feels like yesterday.)

In any event, I scored 47 last night which is better than my typical 41-45 on the test. Here's hoping tomorrow goes so smoothly.

I had no shot at the Western question having never heard of the final answer. Brain just wouldn't pull "basil" even though I certainly "knew" the right answer. I hadn't heard of the science fiction novel, but tried George R.R. Martin figuring it sounded like a Game of Thrones-type title so guessed that he had written something like that.

Ballet Russe popped into my head, but fortunately Bolshoi pushed it out in time. First wrote down Mann, instead of Hesse, but then reread the question (always a good idea if you have time!) and saw the HH initials. Hesse followed right after. Almost ran out of time on Pavarotti because I got to him last and slowly, but managed to write it down in time. First went with extreme (judges?) but changed in time to extremity. First wrote down "family" instead of "class", but then checked my mnemonic and changed to the right answer.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

Was not prepared to recall the taxonomy as 10th grade biology was too long ago and the common mnemonics were not at the ready in a time crunch
King Phillip Came Over For Good Sex!

Class
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

Got 36 myself taking it for fun, count me as one who read the Halogen clue as needing a 6 letter response, but without having anything better I put it down anyway and turned out to be right. Also put just Hoover for Hoovervilles as I have not heard of that term, so counting that wrong.

Combine this test with the 39 I got on the West Palm Beach and these are my best scores and first time "passing" in the 3 years I've taken it. I will be taking it for real tomorrow. This is the first year I feel like I'm in the ballpark to maybe pass.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

46/50 here. I think I'll probably go for realsies tomorrow. Misses:
Spoiler
7. Rigoletto for Rossini (I mean, I'm not good at classical music/opera, but that's just embarrassing)
20. Heinlein for Dick
35. Paris for Achilles
46. Wanted Flamenco, but my brain spat out Fandango
Sprinkles are for winners.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

It's not ideal to take one of these tests at 11:30 pm after taking Ambien, but it's still more advisable than tweeting while on Ambien. Unofficial score of 41.