Tuesday, April 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

John Boy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 pm
Just hope AT didn't put the triple-whammy jinx on the guy by mentioning the name that must not be mentioned.
Now why should that name never be mentioned? It seems like we talk about him around here all the time. He's even been talked up as a replacement for AT.

I must say those DDs were on the easy side. Going for Jesse James by saying Robert Ford killed him?

A physics FJ sounds like it's going to be tough, but J! asks about relatively little physics knowledge, so most could zoom in on the correct answer with only a little work. And then it was a triple get.

Methinks we need a different scale for today's game dynamics graph.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

Awesome performance by James!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

John Boy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 pm Just a few comments about this game:

1. Two people who actually qualified for this show actually did not know that the crew of the Enterprise beamed down with the help of a TRANSPORTER???!!! For shame!

b. NHO "dead cat bounce," but I may have to add it to my vocabulary.

iii. I thought the song lyric was "He ain't heavy, he's just bulky."

And oh, yeah, the game itself.....

That clattering sound you may have heard is my eyeballs popping out of my skull and rolling around on the floor. James' performance truly defied description. Just for the record, is his $25,000 on DD3 the largest DD wager ever? and is his FJ wager in this game the largest ever in that category? I have to imagine so.

When you combine a good knowledge base with wicked buzzer skills with the wagering nerve of a, well, professional gambler, that's an impressive combination. My wife actually hasn't watched J! for a while now (don't know why I stay with her, but I do anyway), and I told her after this game, "Honey, you may really have to watch tomorrow night." This is history in the making.

Just hope AT didn't put the triple-whammy jinx on the guy by mentioning the name that must not be mentioned.
what name might that be, dude?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 pm b. NHO "dead cat bounce," but I may have to add it to my vocabulary.
Ran across this once in an article about the stock market. Spent the next 20 minutes in a wikihole.

It's definitely one of those phrases that once you run across you'll never forget.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:56 am Well, I can finally stop imagining a world in which I have the single-day J! record (actual and imaginary scenarios reiterated in spoiler space below).
Spoiler
In my third game, I had $20,600 to my next opponent's $6,800 with two categories left and both DDs still hidden in DJ. I hunted at the $2,000 space. It wasn't there, I didn't know it, my opponent negged, no one else rang in, it was now $20,600 to $4,800. I went one up to the $1,600 clue, and it was a DD. The $2,000 clue scared me, so I want to go easy, plus I already had a runaway; I bet $1,400. It was an instaget. Now I suddenly decided I liked the category and I decided instead of jumping to $1,600 in the other category, I wanted to be sporting, so I went up one again to the $1,200 clue. I didn't know it, my opponent did, he went up to $6,000 and went for the other category's $2,000 clue. Not a DD, he knew it, I didn't, now he had $8,000, he went up one and it was a DD. He bet $6,000, we both knew it, and then the game was open again. I didn't get anything after my DD, and he ended up with $14,400 at the end of the round. Luckily I got FJ right, otherwise my late DJ failures would have been a source of genuine regret.

How I imagine it having gone:
After the $2,000 TS I realize that the category GONE COUNTRY is about countries that no longer exist, and can draw confidence from that. Plus I have plenty of wiggle room in my runaway position, so I bet $10,000 and go up to $30,600. Then I properly jump to the other $1,600 clue and figure, what the hey, I was willing to drop to $10,600 before so why not take that risk again, and bet $20,000. I get it right and go to $50,600. I get blanked on the rest of the clues (as I actually did) and my opponent gets up to $8,400. The FJ category is U.S. PRESIDENTS, a strong subject, I have the record in reach, and so I bet my maximum, $33,799, and take the record with $84,399 (which Roger Craig couldn't have safely cleared in his record game).

(Although even bigger DD wagers could have put me in a position to clear $100k in FJ, $10,000 and $20,000 feel like risks I realistically would have taken.)
Fascinating and a shame it didn't happen that way. I have long felt that if a few things went your way you would be considered, probably not an all-time great, but a great. To wit: Getting Ben-Hur (or locking the tournament) is the obvious one, but also getting sniper to become a superchamp (and the only one who ever rocked long hair to my knowledge), and getting the ridiculously obscure cheese in game 4 would have been nice, just to have a more impressive total. I hadn't even considered things going different in game 3, but if you put the things I mentioned together with what you suggested, you would have a 6-day superchamp with $212,199* in regular play and a ToC victory. That's substantial, and none of these hypotheticals are really that far from the truth.

*although your bet in day 4 may have been adjusted to $20,067 if I understand what you were going for correctly, in which case you would have $212,201.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

floridagator wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:02 pm
John Boy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 pm
Now why should that name never be mentioned? It seems like we talk about him around here all the time. He's even been talked up as a replacement for AT.
I'm seriously not superstitious. Just a little bit stitious. But it SEEMS that every time some contestant comes along who wins 4-5 games or tops $100K or whatever, AT starts trotting out the comparisons to KJ. And it SEEMS that every time THAT happens, the contestant loses the next game. It's almost predictable that both things will happen, so...….
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

"Is it too soon to start thinking about Ken Jennings comparisons?"

Oh, Alex...do not speak so soon. That could apply the jinx on him.

But wow...I have a lot to think about this...because Roger Craig and Philip Tiu are probably going to have questions looking back at this game, because this James guy is LEGIT! He do what no contestant has done in many years in the double clue value era;

1) Make over $100,000 in one game

2) Made the biggest DD bet (And got it right)

3) Broke multiple records by champions who won 4-9 games as champion

4) Broke the record for most money heading into FJ!

5) And has the highest average ($61,091) by any contestant (Ken Jennings is probably second with $34,063 per game, but according to Seaborgium, Myron Meyer's $50,000 would be not much to sneeze at in one game either)

I would seem to wonder if the champs with 5+ wins are now starting to worry about this, because James clearly could be the big threat in the long run if he makes a run to the ToC.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
LeviAustin

Post by LeviAustin »

James is playing spectacularly. He completely annihilated the one-day record. However, I feel comparisons to Ken Jennings is a little much at this point.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just wanted to bump the thread to say I missed FJ with nuclear reaction.

Seriously, what a game. I knew this was coming, but it was still fun to watch. Trying to get caught up on my viewings so I can see him “live” next week.

And he hasn’t been beating Subarus. I think Sameer could have pulled off a couple wins if he had gotten a better draw.
corpus_callosum
Contributor

Post by corpus_callosum »

I've been reading here a while and wanted to finally post after re-watching this episode.

Did anyone else notice James essentially pulled a Babe Ruth "called shot" on his $110,914 total? He mentioned his daughter's 11/09/14 birthday to Alex towards the BEGINNING of the game. Then wagered big on the DDs and FJ to bring his total up to that dollar amount! Pretty incredible if you ask me!
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:56 am Well, I can finally stop imagining a world in which I have the single-day J! record (actual and imaginary scenarios reiterated in spoiler space below).
Spoiler
In my third game, I had $20,600 to my next opponent's $6,800 with two categories left and both DDs still hidden in DJ. I hunted at the $2,000 space. It wasn't there, I didn't know it, my opponent negged, no one else rang in, it was now $20,600 to $4,800. I went one up to the $1,600 clue, and it was a DD. The $2,000 clue scared me, so I want to go easy, plus I already had a runaway; I bet $1,400. It was an instaget. Now I suddenly decided I liked the category and I decided instead of jumping to $1,600 in the other category, I wanted to be sporting, so I went up one again to the $1,200 clue. I didn't know it, my opponent did, he went up to $6,000 and went for the other category's $2,000 clue. Not a DD, he knew it, I didn't, now he had $8,000, he went up one and it was a DD. He bet $6,000, we both knew it, and then the game was open again. I didn't get anything after my DD, and he ended up with $14,400 at the end of the round. Luckily I got FJ right, otherwise my late DJ failures would have been a source of genuine regret.

How I imagine it having gone:
After the $2,000 TS I realize that the category GONE COUNTRY is about countries that no longer exist, and can draw confidence from that. Plus I have plenty of wiggle room in my runaway position, so I bet $10,000 and go up to $30,600. Then I properly jump to the other $1,600 clue and figure, what the hey, I was willing to drop to $10,600 before so why not take that risk again, and bet $20,000. I get it right and go to $50,600. I get blanked on the rest of the clues (as I actually did) and my opponent gets up to $8,400. The FJ category is U.S. PRESIDENTS, a strong subject, I have the record in reach, and so I bet my maximum, $33,799, and take the record with $84,399 (which Roger Craig couldn't have safely cleared in his record game).

(Although even bigger DD wagers could have put me in a position to clear $100k in FJ, $10,000 and $20,000 feel like risks I realistically would have taken.)
In your scenario, you would have also broken the records for:

-highest Daily Double wager
-most total money won on Daily Doubles
-highest Final Jeopardy! wager
-highest Double Jeopardy! round earnings

Records which would stand until James came along. Except for the FJ! wager, which Austin Rogers would have broken.

I suspect you would also have had the highest Jeopardy! score after three games, but I did not check every three-game champion in the Archive manually so I can't be sure. Larissa Kelly had $108,600 to your potential $121,333, and I would imagine hers is the highest (real) score. Anyway, Roger Craig would have broken your record in that case.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

polaris wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 am I suspect you would also have had the highest Jeopardy! score after three games, but I did not check every three-game champion in the Archive manually so I can't be sure. Larissa Kelly had $108,600 to your potential $121,333, and I would imagine hers is the highest (real) score. Anyway, Roger Craig would have broken your record in that case.
But would Roger have wagered as much in his second game if the record hadn't been within his reach?