Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), April 10, 2019

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), April 10, 2019

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

47 for real. Misses:
Spoiler
21. Montana for Idaho
28. Dead energy for entropy
46. A Raisin In The Sun for The Glass Menagerie
immaf wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:22 pm Update: I actually did better! 42 or 43, depending on if they accept "Pacific" instead of "Pacific Avenue."
That should definitely be counted. The clue referred to the other green properties as "North Carolina" and "Pennsylvania."

I find it amusing that everyone who has complained in this thread about the "scary sherry" rhyme is a New Yorker.

Speaking of that clue, anyone else think of this lady (RIP)?
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:26 pm ETA: does "scary sherry" rhyme?
Not even a little bit

I would have gotten 37 on this one.
1) yes, they rhyme. ;)
2) beats the crap out of my "angry sangria" :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

bbird wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm For those who say scary and sherry don't rhyme, how do you say them?
Scary rhyming with hairy, and sherry rhyming with Jerry. I've honestly never heard either word pronounced a different way.
bbird wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm I typed "goldfinc" as time ran out, so I don't know if that one will count. If so, I squeaked by with a 35. I'm guessing "Reuben" will be negged without the S, even if they give me a pass on the extra E.
I suspect they'll likely give you both if you were only missing the last letter of each, although no one here can know for sure. And I guarantee you they won't care about your surplus e in Ruben(s). Both spellings sound the same.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

41/50 tonight for practice. Tomorrow I'll take the test for real. I missed the Supreme Court question and I'm an attorney - d'oh!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:20 pm I find it amusing that everyone who has complained in this thread about the "scary sherry" rhyme is a New Yorker.
Guilty! But is that the best they could come up with for RHYME TIME??

The only hit for those two words together in the Archive goes back to 1984!
POTENT POTABLES $800: Edgar Allan Poe's scary story featured a "Cask" of this sherry
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 pm
2) beats the crap out of my "angry sangria" :lol:
ok, I feel better now. I also said angry sangria :lol:

but that before and after one... I thought it said billiards surface, so I was trying to get something out of green felt... :( :(
Last edited by DBear on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

zakharov wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:49 pm Currently arguing with my wife about scary and sherry rhyming (THEY DON'T GODAMMIT)

If you think they do you're one of those weirdos who pronounces Mary, merry, and marry identically!!
Mary (my name) and merry are pronounced identically. Marry is not.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm
bbird wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm For those who say scary and sherry don't rhyme, how do you say them?
Scary rhyming with hairy, and sherry rhyming with Jerry. I've honestly never heard either word pronounced a different way.
Same here. Like I said, it's the Mary/merry/marry thing all over again. Kind of a crap question if it depends on regional accents that much.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:20 pm

I find it amusing that everyone who has complained in this thread about the "scary sherry" rhyme is a New Yorker.

EYYYYY I'M POSTIN' HEAH
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-l ... rry_merger
The full Mary–marry–merry merger (also known, in context, as the three-way merger): This is found throughout much of the United States (particularly the American West) and in all of Canada except Montreal. This is found in about 57% of US English speakers, according to a 2003 dialect survey.[7]

No merger whatsoever (also known as the three-way contrast): A lack of this merger in North America exists primarily in the Northeastern United States: most clearly documented in the accents of Philadelphia, New York City, and Rhode Island. 17% of Americans have no merger.[8][sample 2] In the Philadelphia accent, the three-way contrast is preserved, but merry tends to be merged with Murray; likewise ferry can be a homophone of furry (see merry–Murray merger below). The three-way contrast is found in about 17% of U.S. English speakers overall.[7]

Mary–marry merger only: This is only found in about 16% of U.S. English speakers overall, particularly in the Northeast.[7]

Mary–merry merger only: This is found among Anglophones in Montreal and in the American South, in about 9% of U.S. English speakers overall, particularly in the eastern half of the U.S.[7][9]

merry–marry merger only: This merger is rare, found in only about 1% of U.S. English speakers.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Glad I took it last night and not tonight. This felt rough, though I actually did better than I thought (40), but with rampant guessing. I got Lamar pretty late and I don’t know if I could have gotten it typed in time. I missed some gimmes as usual. I tend to perform better under pressure though, so maybe if I was in the zone I wouldn’t have booted some obvious ones

Missed: Jane Austen, October, (New England) clam chowder, Uncle Vanya, Don Giovanni, The Goldfinch, scary sherry, Amos (I am totally useless on bible questions), Peter Paul Rubens, The Glass Menagerie

I also protest the rhyming of scary and sherry. But I am also from NY as was mentioned
movieman
Contributor

Post by movieman »

Would simply saying clam chowder for #10 and finch for #23 have been acceptable? Thanks.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

I just looked over tonight's test -- would have gotten 44/missed 6, same as yesterday's. Of course, I could have made 3 dumb typos, same as last night too!

Missed:
Kendrick Lamar, said Drake. Hey, Drake, "Duck"worth...makes sense!
Don Giovanni
Idaho (thought it might be Montana)
Princeton, said Rutgers
Yahoo, said Google
Euclid, said Pythagoras

I wonder how my sisters/sisters-in-law/daughters did. We need to avenge the McGinnis boys! Of course, we could end up doing just what our brothers/husbands/uncles did. Grow beard...wear tartan bow tie...stand at middle lectern...go home with $1000 after a killer FJ. :lol:

Well, maybe not the beard part.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who thought it felt easier while taking it...then I checked my score...36, one less than my real test last night, which I felt was way too hard.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

44/50 - One point below last night and felt a tad more difficult

Misses:
18. prism instead of telescope though realizing the error during the next one
27. Paul Simon the senator to have a guess and once again woke up it was McCain a question later
33. Google heads over Yahoo! tails
36. blank on jumbo jet - Sorry Kirk
37. could not find a rhyme for port or madeira
44. Bahamas - geography, distances and directions - I'll never learn although I did figure out Argentina just in time

best guess - entropy

This is California: Mary, Sherry, Scary, Merry, Marry, Hairy Jerry all rhyme
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

movieman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm Would simply saying clam chowder for #10 and finch for #23 have been acceptable? Thanks.
I am pretty sure they'd accept clam chowder.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

28: "It's the measure of energy unavailable for useful work in a system; as it increases, the universe is said to be running down"

I'm sure the intended response is "entropy." I'm not sure entropy is technically correct though. The wording here fooled me into thinking they wanted something that could be measured in units of energy. Entropy is measured in units of energy per unit temperature. Even after reading the clue three times I couldn't figure out what they wanted.

Nonetheless, I think I got 42/50. I think I've always gotten 43 ± 1 when taking the online test for real.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm Scary rhyming with hairy, and sherry rhyming with Jerry.
Heh, those all rhyme for me too. After listening to some Mary-merry-marry examples, I'm guessing scary is pronounced more like "scaaa-ree"? Like the a in cat. (That's assuming you don't pronounce cat as "kyeaat"! Which allegedly some of us Clevelanders do.)
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

bbird wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:12 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm Scary rhyming with hairy, and sherry rhyming with Jerry.
Heh, those all rhyme for me too. After listening to some Mary-merry-marry examples, I'm guessing scary is pronounced more like "scaaa-ree"? Like the a in cat. (That's assuming you don't pronounce cat as "kyeaat"! Which allegedly some of us Clevelanders do.)
Here's an example of the different pronunciations.

Scary is pronounced with a long A, like fairy. The "cat" pronunciation is for "marry."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

The Rubens' room in the Louvre (the one with the 24 Marie de' Medici paintings) is pretty killer