A question about Coryat scoring...

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

FS7
Contributor

A question about Coryat scoring...

Post by FS7 »

If you're doing this at home to evaluate where you are, isn't it highly dependent on the players? I've been trying to gauge my performance and there is a huge gap between the episodes available on YouTube with average players and the recent broadcast episodes.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: A question about Coryat scoring...

Post by This Is Kirk! »

FS7 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:55 pm If you're doing this at home to evaluate where you are, isn't it highly dependent on the players? I've been trying to gauge my performance and there is a huge gap between the episodes available on YouTube with average players and the recent broadcast episodes.
No, it doesn't depend on the players because you're only tracking whether you got the clues correct or incorrect. Obviously your home Coryat score doesn't really tell you how you would have fared on the show because you have no idea whether or not you would have won the buzzer battle on any of the questions.
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

That makes sense, but how are these scores "normally" determined? If you're watching and somebody rings in and knows it, you may have known it given an extra few seconds, but it becomes irrelevant once the answer is known. I know most questions are either you know it or you don't, but things like wordplay or math or something that can be reasoned is different.

I might be overthinking this.
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

The way I have always approached it is if I can't come up with the answer before the contestant's I will not count it. If you ever do appear on the show you will need to be answering the questions in real time, which is part of the training process of making your recall and/or wordplay processing quicker.

I have heard of people sometimes pausing the recording after Alex is done reading the question as a way of "ringing in" and if nothing comes within the allotted 5 seconds to count it as a neg.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

FS7 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:54 pm That makes sense, but how are these scores "normally" determined? If you're watching and somebody rings in and knows it, you may have known it given an extra few seconds, but it becomes irrelevant once the answer is known. I know most questions are either you know it or you don't, but things like wordplay or math or something that can be reasoned is different.

No, that's a genuine issue. It's an even bigger deal on DDs, where contestants should be taking a few seconds to re-read the clue and check the category before responding. If you're having to worrying about getting your response out before the contestant's, you won't get practiced at doing that. I suggest trying to find a way to record the show, whether with DVR or whatever. The thing is, you have to be disciplined. Get into the practice of actually ringing in, on a clicky pen or toilet paper holder, and judge your Coryat accordingly. If you don't ring in, you don't get any points. If you do ring in and don't respond correctly within ~3 seconds, you lose points. If you don't do this, you'll end up with an artificially inflated score because you'll give yourself the benefit of the doubt as to whether you would have rung in on a given clue.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

FS7 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:54 pm That makes sense, but how are these scores "normally" determined? If you're watching and somebody rings in and knows it, you may have known it given an extra few seconds, but it becomes irrelevant once the answer is known. I know most questions are either you know it or you don't, but things like wordplay or math or something that can be reasoned is different.

If you don't get it before the player, you don't get it. Jeopardy is a rapid recall game.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Since I just happen to have the link on my copy-paste clipboard, it's worth reading the page where it all came from...

http://www.pisspoor.com/jep.html