Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Leander »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 pm Typo in the clue about rare earth metals - there aren't three Ms in "uncommon".

The show is starting to get boring. I recognize James is insanely good at what he's turned the game into, but I'm not sure it's necessarily what I want to watch.
I stopped watching the show during the Ken Jennings era for the same reason. Came back when he lost.
goongas

Post by goongas »

First FJ I think I missed in James' run, even though I thought of To Kill a Mockingbird immediately...
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Did they say plutonium was named after a Greek God? Isn't Pluto the Roman version of Hades?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I keep laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of what I'm seeing. This is way too much fun to watch. Many congrats, James.

Given how good James is, I'm proud of myself for snagging two bottom-row TSes in Judy Moody and Game Informer (to which my brother is currently subscribed).

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 pm Bird, bird, bird.....
Finch! Oh right, Attica!
My thought process as well. Whatever works! :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I know we just had a supertourney; but I wonder at what point TPTB might decide that as was the case with Ken, it would be a letdown to place James in a "mere" TOC, as the viewing public would like to see how he would fare against the other immortals. I'm not talking about anything as long and crazy as the UTOC; but there would definitely be great interest in seeing how James performs head-to-head against Ken and Brad (and a few others like Alex, Roger, Austin, Julia, Dave, and Larissa). I realize that there would be risks in replicating a lot of the All Star tourney field so soon; maybe it could just be a 3-player event like the Watson games. And after all, playing J! is pretty much what Brad does for a living. :D

Of course, none of this is meant as a knock on the other players on the TOC tracker, many of whom are excellent in their own right. But James is playing at a different, and unprecedented, level. His haul in the past 2 days alone greatly exceeds the total winnings of anyone else who has qualified or is in the running for the next TOC.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

boson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm So he's 9 of 10 in finals. What records are we looking for in final J? What is the record for most correct in a row?
Ben Ingram has 12 in a row.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Leander wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm
teapot37 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 pm Typo in the clue about rare earth metals - there aren't three Ms in "uncommon".

The show is starting to get boring. I recognize James is insanely good at what he's turned the game into, but I'm not sure it's necessarily what I want to watch.
I stopped watching the show during the Ken Jennings era for the same reason. Came back when he lost.
thinking about doing the same thing...kind of like not watching sec football games when they play the scrub teams from out of conference...but i value trivia questions too much, so i will try and stomach viewing this crap so i can get a daily dose of trivia
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Somebody broke Jeopardy.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pmI'm not talking about anything as long and crazy as the UTOC
I am.

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:41 pm thinking about doing the same thing...kind of like not watching sec football games when they play the scrub teams from out of conference...but i value trivia questions too much, so i will try and stomach viewing this crap so i can get a daily dose of trivia
"Crap."
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Man, I feel stupid. I'm currently playing Assassins Creed: Odyssey and Athens is of course, in Attica. But did I remember that? Of course not.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

The All-Star tournament only had players who made their debuts in 2000 or later. So yes, another supertournament is in order. It could have a variety of other 2000's and 2010's top players (including superchamps) who weren't picked for All-Stars, plus the greats from the 80's and 90's. Coelacanth hasn't been in a tournament since the UTOC, even though he made his debut after 2000 and probably could've won 20+ games if he hadn't been subjected to the 5-game limit.
What records does JH still have to break? 74 games (huge)... $2.5 million (also huge, but more attainable)... highest Coryat in a game (which most viewers wouldn't pay attention to). Anyone with aspirations of breaking the one-day (or 5-day, or 10-day) record is going to have to admit that it's impossible without a tiger blood transfusion.
Hoping for a third lap
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ugh, I was stuck on Acropolis for the district. Then I was stuck on Jonathan Livingston Seagull for the bird. Just wasn't pulling Atticus Finch out of that. :(
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

sarisson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 pm The All-Star tournament only had players who made their debuts in 2000 or later. So yes, another supertournament is in order. It could have a variety of other 2000's and 2010's top players (including superchamps) who weren't picked for All-Stars, plus the greats from the 80's and 90's. Coelacanth hasn't been in a tournament since the UTOC, even though he made his debut after 2000 and probably could've won 20+ games if he hadn't been subjected to the 5-game limit.
What records does JH still have to break? 74 games (huge)... $2.5 million (also huge, but more attainable)... highest Coryat in a game (which most viewers wouldn't pay attention to). Anyone with aspirations of breaking the one-day (or 5-day, or 10-day) record is going to have to admit that it's impossible without a tiger blood transfusion.
Thanks for the mention. At the time I told people that I probably would have topped out at 8 or 10 wins, but who knows?

Was disappointed to not be included in the Battle of the Decades and would love to get another shot.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This is probably the most effortless set of victories I've seen... ever.

Judy Moody was my only miss in Kids' Books.

What was the TOM for Grits = Carter?

Any way to keep Chan/Lee straight?

Bird... uh... uh... uh... ffffffffffiiiiiinch. Atticus Finch. That sounds like a character. Where the HELL did I pull that one out of?!

Lach Trash: plutonium, Game Informer
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

disappointed they didn't use satan in the president's dog category
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

These were not great boards for me. The other day I thought, I might have had a chance to beat James. Not today.

Never even heard of "Hop on Pop" or the H.E.W cabinet

Got "brain trust" after a few seconds and "stand by your man" immediately

Got Plutonium! But yeah, not a Greek god. Deleted the episode so I can't go back and check the clue.

Took me more than 30 seconds to get Atticus Finch. Started with the capital district...Nothing. Then birds...Nothing. Then thought, just think of something Greek FFS!!! Ahhh, Atticus Finch!

I mean. Wow. But yeah. Enough. Exit stage left.

I just watched an episode from earlier in the season and it felt like I was watching a different show. Woman bet $5K on a DD and Alex said "wow!"
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pm I know we just had a supertourney; but I wonder at what point TPTB might decide that as was the case with Ken, it would be a letdown to place James in a "mere" TOC, as the viewing public would like to see how he would fare against the other immortals.
I think here is where number of victories is actually the only important factor.

There are 230 episodes of Jeopardy in a season. Ken accounted for more than 15% of all wins across *two* seasons (had the timing been different, he would have eaten up more than a third of a single season). There was actually a logistical argument to be made against Ken competing in a "regular" TOC.

So I think you can only do the same with James if he reaches a similar number of games won. Even if he's well over a million but doesn't even beat Julia Collins in games won, I think you can't have this discussion. Not the least of which is it would be unfair to the other champions of this season. The UTOC didn't really have the same effect since it basically engulfed most of the 2004-2005 season (and the players from 2003-2004, pre-Ken, did get to compete in a regular TOC)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

boson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm Amazing. It doesn't even seem like the same game. Like the doped up Lance Armstrong vs the tour de France 20 years ago. Lkke Usain Bolt vs a high school sprinter. Like Ken Jennings in dominance.
More like Tom Brady or Steph Curry...people seem to be getting sick of all the winning now... Like that scene in Apollo 13...
All the networks dumped us. One of them said we made going to the Moon about as exciting as taking a trip to Pittsburgh.
Artemis Fowl. I got the initials right!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

boson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 pm Did they say plutonium was named after a Greek God? Isn't Pluto the Roman version of Hades?
I gather the replay booth in New York has confirmed the call about the Greek-ness, but I had the same issue. Even more so, I kind of thought it was the first transuranic to be discovered, and then they backfilled to neptunium at 93.

Good FJ, I'd have liked to play it with my brain engaged. I saw "20th" century, and fixed "1900's" in my brain. After zapping commercials, I transposed to "19th century" and was happy as a clam to pull Ichabod Crane for my answer. Yeah. I'd handicap myself at 1:2 odds of getting Finch since I've never seen or read the movie or tome.

FWIW, on my way home cruising Sirius sports talk stations, two dj's were talking about Stephan Curry, and Daily Doubles, and kind of Jeopardy talk. I thought they had some fantasy game, or some Sports Jeopardy they were narrating, but they described getting the second Daily Double, and there's no more, and he has $69K and the ladies only have 11 K and he can bet $50 K in final. I realized this was a real play by play of tonight's' live J! broadcast and shut it off.

The point is - James' run is penetrating the mainstream media. They were excited to watch it as a sports event, I don't think they cared about the trivia.

Major, Major paradigm shift. James even seemed a little overwhelmed at what he did tonight.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed the Bottom Three in Movie & TV Terms, Final Draft, and the Bottom Two in Music "Man".)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Judy Moody, Metal Kettle, Plutonium, Game Informer

An ERRATUM needs to be put on the Plutonium clue because Pluto ain't a Greek god. Although I still got it because it is the second element after Uranium.
Douglas Squasoni