Thursday, April 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by The Talking Mime »

I saw "C. King," interpreted it as a substitute for the word "seeking," and thought it hinted towards sight, or lack thereof. I went with Daredevil.

You know a champ is dominant when you lament to yourself about how he only won $74,000. I wonder how much longer it will take him to crack seven figures, assuming he does indeed get there.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Talking Mime wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:16 pm I saw "C. King," interpreted it as a substitute for the word "seeking," and thought it hinted towards sight, or lack thereof. I went with Daredevil.

You know a champ is dominant when you lament to yourself about how he only won $74,000. I wonder how much longer it will take him to crack seven figures, assuming he does indeed get there.
The current pace is about $70,175 per win and 14.25 wins for $1M, so Wednesday the 24th for the milestone. Perhaps the rogues' gallery for next week will have a prominent figure in the trivia/game show world to at least give the possibility of a closer game.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Took a bagel in Anagrammed TV Titles. Didn't have a guess for any of them.
Hastings is way overvalued as a bottom-row clue.
Come on, Samantha! You showed some skill, couldn't you pick up on the DD hunting strategy?

FJ was just pathetic. How was this not a triget?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 pm Took a bagel in Anagrammed TV Titles. Didn't have a guess for any of them.
Hastings is way overvalued as a bottom-row clue.
Come on, Samantha! You showed some skill, couldn't you pick up on the DD hunting strategy?

FJ was just pathetic. How was this not a triget?
for sure...should have been top box...hell..i got it right and i know jack crap about wars
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I want to see how James handles an obscure category like "12th Century Russian Art"...and has there been an Opera category during his run?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 pm NHO "tachymeter".
Pretty sure they were looking for tachometer and not tachymeter.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:22 pm Question for cheezguyty:

I know that Liz Haigney Lynch went through her entire 3-game run in June 2016 without a buzzer neg (only missing her last Final Jeopardy).

Do you have the ability to determine if anyone has had 3 full consecutive games (including Final) with 0 negs?
I'm almost certain that there are no such examples in the Archive. Scott Gillispie had no negs in his first three archived appearances, but his two College finals matches are missing.

Joining Liz in having three straight games with no incorrect ring-ins are Jill Regan, Tanya Obreiter, Vaughn Winchell (his last two regular games and first ToC match), Becky Giardina (Teachers Tourn.), Colby Burnett (spanning the Teachers and ToC), Brian Muth, and Jerome Vered (in the UToC, no less!).
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Now I feel old because I realized my J! appearance was before the entire recent slew of superhero movies was created, so superheros were far less likely to figure in an important question and I didn't study them at all. Clearly, if I was going to be on a game show these days, that wouldn't be a topic I'd ignore.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Like others, I went down the "seeking" path and tried Green Lantern. My wife informs me he's not even a Marvel character.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:37 pm Like others, I went down the "seeking" path and tried Green Lantern. My wife informs me he's not even a Marvel character.
He's not but you wouldn't have wanted to pick a Marvel character.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:37 pm Like others, I went down the "seeking" path and tried Green Lantern. My wife informs me he's not even a Marvel character.
Justice League = DC comics, so naming a Marvel character would've been worse ;)
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

I know nothing about these endless superhero franchises. They border on worthless knowledge.

Another amazing and impressive game by James today. We live in a world now where $74k feels like a letdown.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Has the old show Superfriends to thank for getting FJ. :lol:
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 pm Any reason I should know that war occurred in Spain and not any other country? There are lots of countries where Spanish is spoken.
Before the Age of Exploration, there was just one.

Got FJ because I said it in my head with a break between "C" and "King." Does anyone know when this was filmed? The Aquaman movie only came out in December '18, and if the film wasn't on people's radars yet, the FJ is a bit harder.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That FJ took me longer than it should have, but I finally got the pun and came up with Aquaman.

At this point it seems like we need either Austin Powers or LSV to step in to take James down. :D
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 pm That FJ took me longer than it should have, but I finally got the pun and came up with Aquaman.

At this point it seems like we need either Austin Powers or LSV to step in to take James down. :D
Don't forget Lampy the man who has beaten James head to head. Or Schliemann. LSV has posted he won't try to get on the show. But, yes, AP needs to get on the show whether he is now lacking in tiger blood or not.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 pm That FJ took me longer than it should have, but I finally got the pun and came up with Aquaman.

Don't forget Lampy the man who has beaten James head to head. Or Schliemann. LSV has posted he won't try to get on the show. But, yes, AP needs to get on the show whether he is now lacking in tiger blood or not.
Yes, those two are also great candidates. They could both go toe-to-toe with James.

I can't understand why LSV wouldn't try to get on. Come on, LSV, do it!
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I'm also tired of James' mastery. He peaked after his fourth game, once he ripped the one-day record to shreds. Now I want other players to have their moments of victory, their own streaks.

Is there any good reason why Jeopardy hasn't forced the players to select from top to bottom instead of wherever they want? I've seen this suggested a few times on this board. If both Alex and the producers prefer it when the game is played this way, why don't they just make it compulsory? Maybe they can implement this rule starting in season 36, which may give new challengers more of a fighting chance against superhumans like James.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I went with Batman, thinking it might've been a joke referencing the Condiment King.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:25 am

At the beginning after James's total was announced look at the young man in the audience and his reaction.
Spoiler
That's James' wife sitting behind that young man, looking toward the camera.
Are you sure about that? I've seen her on WWTBAM and to my eye this doesn't seem like it is the same woman. And it would be odd if his wife was in the regular audience and not in the friends/family section on the far end.