Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Re: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MDaunt »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 pm
sarisson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 pm The All-Star tournament only had players who made their debuts in 2000 or later. So yes, another supertournament is in order. It could have a variety of other 2000's and 2010's top players (including superchamps) who weren't picked for All-Stars, plus the greats from the 80's and 90's. Coelacanth hasn't been in a tournament since the UTOC, even though he made his debut after 2000 and probably could've won 20+ games if he hadn't been subjected to the 5-game limit.
What records does JH still have to break? 74 games (huge)... $2.5 million (also huge, but more attainable)... highest Coryat in a game (which most viewers wouldn't pay attention to). Anyone with aspirations of breaking the one-day (or 5-day, or 10-day) record is going to have to admit that it's impossible without a tiger blood transfusion.
Thanks for the mention. At the time I told people that I probably would have topped out at 8 or 10 wins, but who knows?

Was disappointed to not be included in the Battle of the Decades and would love to get another shot.
Same.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TPTB decided that they don't want the show to be broken, so next week they will be bringing in a former contestant with even better buzzer skills ... Watson. Ooh, sorry, James.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:15 am TPTB decided that they don't want the show to be broken, so next week they will be bringing in a former contestant with even better buzzer skills ... Watson. Ooh, sorry, James.
That will really help the viewers who are confused by non-round wagers.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 pm
An ERRATUM needs to be put on the Plutonium clue because Pluto ain't a Greek god. Although I still got it because it is the second element after Uranium.
And for anybody needing help with the order, the planetary triple planetary double + piss ant rock is the same order; i.e. Uranus/Neptune/Pluto -> Uranium/ Neptunium/ Plutonium ;) . Serendipitously, if Protactinium at 91 would have had a Saturn (or Chronus) name, it would have run the table from Thorium (Jupiter) at 90 through Pluto.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

John Boy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:10 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pm I know we just had a supertourney; but I wonder at what point TPTB might decide that as was the case with Ken, it would be a letdown to place James in a "mere" TOC, as the viewing public would like to see how he would fare against the other immortals. I'm not talking about anything as long and crazy as the UTOC; but there would definitely be great interest in seeing how James performs head-to-head against Ken and Brad (and a few others like Alex, Roger, Austin, Julia, Dave, and Larissa). I realize that there would be risks in replicating a lot of the All Star tourney field so soon; maybe it could just be a 3-player event like the Watson games. And after all, playing J! is pretty much what Brad does for a living. :D
Please, God, NO! I really don't want to see the same players---no matter how much I liked them before---keep coming back again, and again and again.
Just out of curiosity - why? Personally, I LOVE watching greatness.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 pm An ERRATUM needs to be put on the Plutonium clue because Pluto ain't a Greek god. Although I still got it because it is the second element after Uranium.
Pluto is a mouse's dog. Mice say "eek". I think an eek dog is sufficiently close to a Greek god.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Wpwells wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:19 pm
Well, I am kind of on your page, I like the big tournaments and would love if they were every three years (every year might be a bit much), but I can see being annoyed by a lot of the newer champions. In the old days, even the best champs seemed to return to their day jobs with a cool story (look at how Frank rose through NYPD's ranks over the years, or how Cubbage went from undergrad to law student to lawyer), whereas a lot of the big champs now seem to stagnate and become nothing BUT a J! champion. Think of Pam in grad school for nearly a decade, or how in her ToC Julia's job was suddenly a "20-day J! champion" (and even Ken is not exempt from that one), or how most of the big champs nowadays just seem to be running quiz shows of their own, or otherwise. I can see how enabling this kind of behavior might be grating.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

yclept wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 am It is sad that Alex’s health is a major concern going forward because watching him host a potential tourney with James, Brad, Ken, Alex, Roger, Larissa, Austin, Matt, Buzzy, Ben Ingram, Julia, etc. etc. would be great TV.
There's no way they'll have another all-stars tournament immediately following their last one. These kinds of special events (All-Stars and Watson are the only type of non-standard tournaments I can think of) should be many years apart.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

RKane wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:14 pm
Well, I am kind of on your page, I like the big tournaments and would love if they were every three years (every year might be a bit much), but I can see being annoyed by a lot of the newer champions. In the old days, even the best champs seemed to return to their day jobs with a cool story (look at how Frank rose through NYPD's ranks over the years, or how Cubbage went from undergrad to law student to lawyer), whereas a lot of the big champs now seem to stagnate and become nothing BUT a J! champion. Think of Pam in grad school for nearly a decade, or how in her ToC Julia's job was suddenly a "20-day J! champion" (and even Ken is not exempt from that one), or how most of the big champs nowadays just seem to be running quiz shows of their own, or otherwise. I can see how enabling this kind of behavior might be grating.
Getting a Masters and Ph.D. and then going on to work for the RAND Corporation is "stagnating"? Seriously?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:08 pm
Getting a Masters and Ph.D. and then going on to work for the RAND Corporation is "stagnating"? Seriously?
Yeah, not exactly. And as far as Ken it seems like the show allowed him to pursue his passion in life. I can't see why anyone should have a problem with that!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:27 pm
Yeah, not exactly. And as far as Ken it seems like the show allowed him to pursue his passion in life. I can't see why anyone should have a problem with that!
Yeah, and Ken has written 12 books so far. How is that not impressive and cool? And superchamp and TOC finalist Tom Nissley opened a bookstore. Dave Madden started the National History Bee & Bowl and the Geography Bee. And those are just a few off the top of my head.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey

Post by davey »

James Holzhauer’s Jeopardy! Win Was the Biggest Thing on TV Last Night

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/james-h ... 1555636205
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:43 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:27 pm
Yeah, and Ken has written 12 books so far. How is that not impressive and cool? And superchamp and TOC finalist Tom Nissley opened a bookstore. Dave Madden started the National History Bee & Bowl and the Geography Bee. And those are just a few off the top of my head.
I'm not saying that's necessarily how I feel, I was trying to understand why someone MIGHT not want to see the same people again and again. Personally, as I said, I love the mega-tournaments.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

John Boy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:10 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pm I know we just had a supertourney; but I wonder at what point TPTB might decide that as was the case with Ken, it would be a letdown to place James in a "mere" TOC, as the viewing public would like to see how he would fare against the other immortals. I'm not talking about anything as long and crazy as the UTOC; but there would definitely be great interest in seeing how James performs head-to-head against Ken and Brad (and a few others like Alex, Roger, Austin, Julia, Dave, and Larissa). I realize that there would be risks in replicating a lot of the All Star tourney field so soon; maybe it could just be a 3-player event like the Watson games. And after all, playing J! is pretty much what Brad does for a living. :D
Please, God, NO! I really don't want to see the same players---no matter how much I liked them before---keep coming back again, and again and again.
I love watching the great ones as well. And when they come back for the ToC, I love that too. But after 3-4 appearances ($M Masters, UTOC, Battle of the Decades, etc.) I don't want to keep seeing them over and over. I also like seeing new faces. You're entitled to your opinion, and this is mine.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I also enjoy seeing greatness for awhile, but after about 10 games I think that it's time to retire and wait for the ToC and super tournaments. Let other players have a shot. The advantage on the buzzer is a little unfair, even though contestants like Jennings and Holzhauer who look unbeatable don't come around often.

I do enjoy seeing super tournaments once every 8-10 years or so, just as long as they're not any longer than the BotD. I would say that is preferable to seeing greatness in the form of beating up on new contestants after you have more than 10 games of experience under your belt.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I do miss the days of a player being retired after five days. It kept them from becoming a social media phenom (if that had existed then).

As one who was born on June 13, I loved his FJ bet, along with his grandmother tribute.

Amazing a FJ bet of over $60,000 doesn’t even phase Alex anymore.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

gnash wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 am Cumulative Coryat after 10 games: Ken 292,000, James 290,000. (I believe #3 is Matt Jackson with 250,200.)

If you counted correct answers and first buzzes today, you can update the following:

Cumulative total correct answers after 9 games: Ken 301, James 292. (Ken had 40 in his game 10, so I'm pretty sure he's still ahead.)

Cumulative first buzzes after 9 games: Ken 278, James 270. (Ken had 37 in his game 10.) (I believe #3 after 9 games is Joon Pahk with 234, achieved in 8 games. #4 is Arthur Chu with 230, #5 is Matt Jackson with 229. James was trailing Joon after 8 games, BTW. Ken had 252 in his first 8 games.)

(Fun fact: At 5 games mark, Jerome Vered beats both Ken and James on all three measures.)
Fun fact

Hooray me.

I don't know who keeps these records or figures this out but what an ego boost thank you so much.

Jamie has been thinking about strategies for jeopardy for several years now. It's great that it's working out for him.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

She wasn't in grad school for a decade. She finished law school in 2008. Worked for a few years. Went to grad school for a doctorate and finished I think in 2015. Doctorates take some time. But she Wasn't in grad school for 10 years straight.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Of course, none of this is meant as a knock on the other players on the TOC tracker, many of whom are excellent in their own right. But James is playing at a different, and unprecedented, level. His haul in the past 2 days alone greatly exceeds the total winnings of anyone else who has qualified or is in the running for the next TOC.
Writing this much later.

That said, hbomb I disagree immensely. I came into the TOC a big favorite and I finished third. Dave Madden did not even make the finals of his tournament of champions. Julia also came in third. A mere TOC? Why not?

The big change and play is that he goes for the highest level questions at the very beginning of the game where he has the largest buzz your advantage over the new players. It could also be intimidating which is fine, and then when he gets a daily double, rarely found on the bottom row, he has something to bet with can establish a lead. Since he is dominating on the buzzer relatively even later in the game, he has been very good at getting all the daily doubles and getting almost all of them right. The first daily double in double Jeopardy he bets enough to get a very comfortable lead. His last day we double bed is usually much smaller because he doesn't want can establish a lead. Since he is dominating on the buzzer relatively even later in the game, he has been very good at getting all the daily doubles and getting almost all of them right. The first daily double in double Jeopardy he bets enough to get a very comfortable lead. His last daily double bet is usually much smaller because he doesn't want to endanger the runaway.
He's very good on the buzzer. So are many other people especially in tournament play. Nothing is set such that he would definitely win a TOC. I'm not sure if Ken Jennings had had to play a regular TOC that he would've won either. He very well probably would have. But it's not a given.

(edited by mod: hbomb prefers to remain anonymous and also removed discussion of future games).
Golf

Post by Golf »

I could be mistaken, but I believe it's against board policy to post what has happened after the game that this thread discusses. That way people who are behind in watching have the ability to read the thread once they have watched the game, like you, without being spoiled about future games. It's OK to discuss what has happened prior to this game however.