Monday, April 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7976, 2019-04-22

James Holzhauer game 13.

CONTESTANTS
Rebecca McNitt, an archivist from Ann Arbor, Michigan
Rob Hornick, a product manager from San Francisco, California
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 12-day cash winnings total $851,926)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome, everyone. Unless you've been living under a rock for the past two weeks, you know about our current champion, James. Now, it is worth noting that when Ken Jennings had his amazing run of 74 wins on a row, he was averaging $34,000 per victory. James is averaging $71,000 per victory.

[Applause]

Alex: Enough said. Rebecca, Rob, James, good luck. Here we go into the first round. And here are the categories that await you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HAPPY EARTH DAY TO YOU! (4/5)
THE 20-TEENS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
REALITY TV (5/5)
DOUBLE-LETTER PLACES (5/5)
JEOPARD"IZED" (5/5)
THEY PLANNED THEIR OWN FUNERAL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 16 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Rebecca: 8 R, 1 W
Rob: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 1st clue. James had no money, Rob was scoreless, and Rebecca had nothing in the bank. James wagered $1,000.

THE 20-TEENS $1000: The flag called the Estelada is the symbol of the independence movement for this region of Spain

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $6,200
Rob: $2,000
Rebecca: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Rebecca McNitt is an archivist from Michigan, who is part of a very special club. I wanna hear about that.

Rebecca: I'm part of a terrible book club. We read--it's one book that is sent through the mail to everyone else, and everyone writes notes in the margins, just making fun of the book, and passes it on to the next person. And then at the end, we all look through it and see what everyone has done with the book.

Alex: For the sake of the author, I will not ask you to name the latest book that you guys are working on. All right.

Alex: Rob Hornick is from San Francisco. He has trouble getting a good night's sleep. And when you have that trouble, what do you do?

Rob: I'm known to be a sleepwalker from time to time, so--

Alex: Now, who wakes you up? They say it's not good luck to wake up a sleepwalking person.

Rob: You know, usually my wife can get me to go back to sleep, but, you know, she'll wake me up if she needs to, if I get into too much trouble.

Alex: Okay. All right. I won't ask you what that trouble might be.

Alex: James Holzhauer from Las Vegas. He's our champion. Everybody has been very impressed watching you as the champ on the program, but you were very impressed by your father's skills with crossword puzzles until...

James: Well, so my dad while growing up could always solve the whole New York Times crossword. And I was like, "That's amazing. I wanna be that smart when I'm old." And then when I was an adult, he confessed to me that he would look up all the pop culture answers because he, you know, he didn't bother with that sort of trashy knowledge. But he told me he did memorize some of the ones that come up often, like rap star Dr. "Dree".

[Laughter]

Alex: I like Dr. Dree too.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HAPPY EARTH DAY TO YOU! $600: John Denver wrote a song called "Earth Day Every Day" but a concert for Earth Day 2011 was named for this bigger hit of his

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $10,000
Rebecca: $3,800
Rob: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COMMUNITIES (3/5)
I WROTE IT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORDS FROM ITALIAN (4/5)
ACTORS (5/5)
NEW COUNTRY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCIENCE & NATURE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 21 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Rebecca: 3 R, 1 W
Rob: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. James had $13,200, Rob had $2,400, and Rebecca was at $3,800. James wagered $9,812.

NEW COUNTRY $1200: The 2 Saudi-adjacent countries called this (Aden) & this (Sanaa) merged in 1990 to form a new nation

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. James had $28,212, Rob had $2,000, and Rebecca was at $1,800. James wagered $11,914.

I WROTE IT $2000: "The Social Contact", 1762 advice on how to recover liberty

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COMMUNITIES $1600: Considered an oxymoron, it's the 2-word concept of the world as one community linked by modern communications

COMMUNITIES $2000: It's a Hindu spiritual community like Sabarmati, where Gandhi stayed

WORDS FROM ITALIAN $2000: The name of a Venetian ship factory gave us this word for a place where arms & ammunition are stored
(Rob: What is a magazine?)
(Rebecca: What is an armory?)

SCIENCE & NATURE $2000: An experiment in which animals are reared in isolation to see what features are innate is named for this foundling of 19th c. Germany

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $52,126 (lock game)
Rebecca: $4,600
Rob: $2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY BRITS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $42,925 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Rebecca: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $599 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Rob: You've no hope of catching up... unless Rebecca does something stupid. So risk $1,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a poem Lord Byron, a lover of Greece, calls this diplomat & fellow lord a "plunderer"

FINAL SCORES
Rob: $2,000 + $727 = $2,727 (Who is Elgin) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rebecca: $4,600 - $599 = $4,001 (Who is Melbourne?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $52,126 + $38,686 = $90,812 (Who is Elgin? Hi Zach Emma & Lilly ♥) (13-day champion: $942,738)
(Alex: [To Rob] The famous Elgin marbles.)
(Alex: [After reading James' response] Family members or friends?)
(James: Friends. I'm running out of family members.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $33,600, 37 R (including 3 DDs), 0 W
Rebecca: $4,600, 11 R, 2 W
Rob: $2,000, 6 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 38/61 = .623
Rebecca: 11/58 = .190
Rob: 7/58 = .121
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HAPPY EARTH DAY TO YOU! $1000: An ad that debuted on Earth Day 1971 showed a crying Indian & the slogan "People start" this word; "people can stop it"
(Rebecca: What is littering?)

REALITY TV $800: Now divorced, the couple seen here was back turning houses for a profit on season 8 of this show

DOUBLE-LETTER PLACES $200: This capital of the Bahamas bears the name of a defunct duchy
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

REALITY TV $200: Snooki, Pauly D & the rest of the cast reunited for some fun in Miami & later Las Vegas for this show's "Family Vacation"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

ACTORS $2000: This actor played a very good guy on "The West Wing" & a very bad guy in "Get Out"

ACTORS $1200: The Ancient One in "Doctor Strange", she uses a shortened form of her middle name, Matilda

NEW COUNTRY $800: A 24-year armed conflict led to the independence of this nation from South Africa in 1990

COMMUNITIES $400: The 1820s utopian community New Harmony had what's been called the USA's first of these schools for 5-year-olds
(Rob: What is a preschool?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Catalonia
"Rocky Mountain High"
North and South Yemen
Rousseau
global village
an ashram
an arsenal
Kaspar Hauser
Lord Elgin
pollution
Flip or Flop
Nassau
Jersey Shore
(Bradley) Whitford
Tilda Swinton
Namibia
kindergarten
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY BRITS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a poem Lord Byron, a lover of Greece, calls this diplomat & fellow lord a “plunderer”

James Holzhauer: 52126+38686=90812 (13x = $942,738)
Rob Hornick: 2000+727=2727
Rebecca McNitt: 4600-599=4001

Correct response:
Spoiler
Elgin (James added Hi Zach Emma & Lilly <3) (Rebecca – Melbourne)

Daily Doubles
James: 0+1000
James: 13200+9812
James: 28212+11914

Coryats
James: 33600
Rob: 2000
Rebecca: 4600

Combined: 40,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 10000
Rob: 2400
Rebecca: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sister Sarah: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9519 easily retains bragging rights over Rebecca

Rebecca locked Rob to insure 2nd place money even with Rob solving the FJ! clue.

James drew the Las Vegas Golden Knights helmet design around his "M" for signing in the day after the hockey team lost to the Sharks in the playoff game in which James got to crank the opening siren at the arena.

James found DD1 with his opening pick so he was able to use his "house limit" for the wager.

DD3 was 28212 to 2000 & 1800. The wager was 11914 when just as easily it could have been 25000 the way the game was going. I guess I WROTE IT in the bottom box was a little intimidating?

The FJ! clue had me grateful for time and second chances. My first interpretation was I was in one of those dreaded coin tosses when I had nothing to go on other than picking Shelley or Keats. I wrote Keats. With time to reread the clue and pick up on any hints the word "plunderer" did enough to lead me to the necessary change. [wipes brow]

Possible $1M landmark for James tomorrow. To possibly reach it in just 14 days is astounding.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

It wouldn't surprise me if his daily average eventually becomes Roger's previous record.
BlueberryPlainsNever
Contributor

Post by BlueberryPlainsNever »

I think James is going to win the Iron Throne.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Holding the top 6 1-day scores on a show that's had well over 10,000 contestants? Who does that? And I have the feeling that James's domination of the all-time leaderboard will be substantially more extensive before all is said and done. To end up with over $90K when he was held to clue value on the SJ DD and didn't wager all that much by his standards on DD3 - just the latest in a series of "just wow"s during James's run
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 am Sister Sarah: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9519 easily retains bragging rights over Rebecca
Well, Sarah had the enormous advantage of not having to face James in her "J!" debut - a reminder of how great a role luck, including draw of opponents, plays in J! success. So that sibling comparison is on an extremely unlevel playing field. In some parallel universe, perhaps the first-game opponents are reversed and it's Rebecca who ends up qualifying for a TOC.

As for this game, instaget FJ for me. I played it off this thread before watching the game; and I had it at "Byron, a lover of Greece" and "plunderer," without even noticing the category. I do feel that we're due for a truly difficult FJ (like, one that will be a TS on the show and poll below 30% on this board); and I think missing FJ would be the only way that James doesn't pass $1 million tomorrow.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 am Sister Sarah: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9519 easily retains bragging rights over Rebecca

Rebecca locked Rob to insure 2nd place money even with Rob solving the FJ! clue.

James drew the Las Vegas Golden Knights helmet design around his "M" for signing in the day after the hockey team lost to the Sharks in the playoff game in which James got to crank the opening siren at the arena.

James found DD1 with his opening pick so he was able to use his "house limit" for the wager.

DD3 was 28212 to 2000 & 1800. The wager was 11914 when just as easily it could have been 25000 the way the game was going. I guess I WROTE IT in the bottom box was a little intimidating?

The FJ! clue had me grateful for time and second chances. My first interpretation was I was in one of those dreaded coin tosses when I had nothing to go on other than picking Shelley or Keats. I wrote Keats. With time to reread the clue and pick up on any hints the word "plunderer" did enough to lead me to the necessary change. [wipes brow]

Possible $1M landmark for James tomorrow. To possibly reach it in just 14 days is astounding.
that woman is a nun?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

never heard of that elgin dude who was the answer to the final jeopardy clue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:27 pm never heard of that elgin dude who was the answer to the final jeopardy clue
after having read about this dude, he sure seems like he was a pos
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wasn't a connection I was going to make in 30 seconds.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

It's strange to think that James "only" needs about $58,000 tomorrow to get to $1 million, as if $58,000 in one show were a normal occurrence :lol:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

missed the Greek TOM, went with Gladstone. :(
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

A miss on FJ. The name is familiar, but not in a million years.

Never heard of Kaspar Hauser, but that's a story I want to read more about

Picked up global village and ashram. I missed the Denver song, but were the challengers asleep on all those TS?

The magazine and armory errors really put the nails in the coffins tonight. Too bad, I thought it would be a close game when James found DD #1 on clue #1

Reality TV was a waste of 5 clues

Congrats, James. Go get your million and then please exit stage left ;)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:01 pm A miss on FJ. The name is familiar, but not in a million years.

Never heard of Kaspar Hauser, but that's a story I want to read more about

Picked up global village and ashram. I missed the Denver song, but were the challengers asleep on all those TS?

The magazine and armory errors really put the nails in the coffins tonight. Too bad, I thought it would be a close game when James found DD #1 on clue #1

Reality TV was a waste of 5 clues

Congrats, James. Go get your million and then please exit stage left ;)
indeed it was...pizz on reality tv
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

So I'm back from Lent, what'd I miss? Seriously, even with the media blackout in the penguin household I couldn't help finding out that something impressive had happened with a contestant named James Holz-something. My only question was if this thing was still going on and I'd see James tonight. Tuning in, I saw a "James" at the champ's spot, so I figured that was him. Johnny Gilbert announced his name and said, "Whose 12-day cash winnings total...." And I thought, "Really? 12 days? I mean, that's impressive but is this really what all the hullabaloo was about? Then Johnny finished his sentence. Holy cow.

The Elgin Marbles have been in the news again recently with Greece once more calling for their repatriation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... n-marbles/

But that wouldn't have helped these contestants.

On seeing the FJ, I keyed in on the word "plunderer" and thought first of Lord Carnarvon. But I knew he was too late to be Byron's contemporary. My second thought was Elgin. I liked that one better even though I wasn't positive he was a Lord. Then I noticed the big fat "lover of Greece" TOM and knew I had it. I knew that Byron was a Grecophile (or philhellene if you prefer) but I don't know if I'd have recalled that fact if the writers hadn't pounded me on the head with it. Still, I think I'd have stuck with Elgin for a lack of a better alternative.
JErickson2021
Contributor

Post by JErickson2021 »

Assuming that James hits $1 million, Will the J-Archive indicate that on the day he passed the $1 million mark since Ken Jennings got that treatment on his game 30?

EDIT: I probably could have phrased that better but what the heck
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elgin? Yeah, No.. I think there was something in the news recently, and the term "Elgin Marbles" is vaguely familiar, but I wouldn't think they were named after the a-hole that stole them.

I like imagining how weird and surreal it must have been for AT to foreshadow the fame and notoriety that would eventually play out. He is trying to make self-fulfilling prophecies, and is probably pulling it off for the majority of viewers. It's like pretend time traveling - where's our jetpacks!!

I have no problem with pretend reality TV shows being a category.

I thought this was the most even and smooth game of James' run. It's like the second 150 meters of a 400 meter race - this is the "float" where you are hauling ass and showing little effort. It reminds me of the performance on the Chase episode that was posted before this all started. He was able to answer that obliquely worded clue about phosphorous (Brit style ;)) while I was still deciding whether to come in from the Z number of Nitrogen plus eight, or the luminescent angle.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:01 pmNever heard of Kaspar Hauser, but that's a story I want to read more about
From noted historian Suzanne Vega:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcklUmfHcJQ
Knowing the song did not, however, get me to that answer, but I did pull "Rocky Mountain High" and FJ.
In and out of the pool four times
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I went from saying "James could break a million by the end of next week" to "maybe Wednesday then" to it very likely being tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

As to whether or not the archive will make mention of it, imo, probably. I don't see why not. It's the second ever time it would happen.

ETA: James' j-archive player page may also need to be updated to include the breaking of his own one-day record with that $131K.