Thursday, April 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 pm Even I got the Australia DD.

NHO "stakeout" or "Sixteen Candles".

Also couldn't understand the "battery" clue. Something about storing energy?! That clue was utter gibberish to me.

Europium? Is that one of the elements? Can't be Americium since America is in the clue... yeah, Europium.

Lach Trash: "soldier on"
never heard of a stakeout? you have never watched a police show before?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm never heard of a stakeout? you have never watched a police show before?
I should clarify: I've encountered the word, but never knew its meaning or its specificity to police work.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:52 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm never heard of a stakeout? you have never watched a police show before?
I should clarify: I've encountered the word, but never knew its meaning or its specificity to police work.
then in what context had you heard it?
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

Seinfeld obv
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:52 pm
then in what context had you heard it?
I've heard the word "stakeout" in conversation, but never paid enough attention to actually discern a meaning. Same with words like "civic" or "college dean" or "excommunicate".
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

They just said "geographic" name, not specifically a continent, right? Needed both parts for the clue,. Element 63 put it in the Lanthanide series, & geographic name = Europium.

If you grew up in the '80s, it was impossible not to know Sixteen Candles. :geek:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 pm They just said "geographic" name, not specifically a continent, right? Needed both parts for the clue,. Element 63 put it in the Lanthanide series, & geographic name = Europium.

If you grew up in the '80s, it was impossible not to know Sixteen Candles. :geek:
the hammer dude is an oddball for sure....knows many obscure country songs, but yet on twitter says he doesn't know a couple of george strait songs that even I know and i am mainly a death metal dude.....how a person growing up in the 80s and into the 90s in usa has never heard of sixteen candles is beyond me
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I precalled this. The lake is on the MA-CT border. Elementary school children in the Local District have to learn to spell and pronounce it correctly.

That's the second time this week he's bet 11381 on a dd. 11/3/81 was election day.
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Danmel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 pm Augh, I had a DVR glitch. And tomorrow's game is being preempted in the NYC area by the NFL draft. Does anyone know if there is an alternate place I can watch? The local affiliate here doesn't rebroadcast when the show is preempted.
WABC 7 NYC web site lists a repeat episode of Jeopardy! at 4am this Saturday. I don't know if this is a random rerun they always have before dawn on Saturday or the preempted show. One thing that's encouraging is that my standard sources of TV listings (cable company, zaptoit) have a one-hour TV program listed there, so maybe ABC NYC has moved the Friday episode there.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bkellysky wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 pm
Danmel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 pm Augh, I had a DVR glitch. And tomorrow's game is being preempted in the NYC area by the NFL draft. Does anyone know if there is an alternate place I can watch? The local affiliate here doesn't rebroadcast when the show is preempted.
WABC 7 NYC web site lists a repeat episode of Jeopardy! at 4am this Saturday. I don't know if this is a random rerun they always have before dawn on Saturday or the preempted show. One thing that's encouraging is that my standard sources of TV listings (cable company, zaptoit) have a one-hour TV program listed there, so maybe ABC NYC has moved the Friday episode there.
My Friday episode is showing at 11:30 PM Saturday (WFTV -- Orlando).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 pm They just said "geographic" name, not specifically a continent, right? Needed both parts for the clue,. Element 63 put it in the Lanthanide series, & geographic name = Europium.

the hammer dude is an oddball for sure....knows many obscure country songs, but yet on twitter says he doesn't know a couple of george strait songs that even I know and i am mainly a death metal dude.....how a person growing up in the 80s and into the 90s in usa has never heard of sixteen candles is beyond me
I never said I didn't know the songs, just that I felt they were obscure in the long run since I hear them less on radio than other ones.

Also, I was 2 when the 1980s ended so I'm not gonna remember much from that.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:30 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 pm

I never said I didn't know the songs, just that I felt they were obscure in the long run since I hear them less on radio than other ones.

Also, I was 2 when the 1980s ended so I'm not gonna remember much from that.
that movie had carry over into the 90s
davey

Post by davey »

Not only do I not have the elements memorized, I wasn't absolutely sure that europium was the proper name of one...It's been a while since I studied the periodic table...! But I managed to write it...Not sure I would have gotten americium right either, had that been correct, but I saw it was eliminated by the clue...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Rare earth with a geographic name? Ok, that’s Scandium, Yttrium, Ytterbium, Erbium, Terbium and Lutetium. Element 63? Ok, a Lanthanide so not Scandium. Now what? Oh, they’re all continents. What am I missing? Oh... Europium.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

When I took HS chemistry in the 1976-1977 school year, we were required to memorize elements 1-40. One time I was babysitting, I was bored, and I had my chemistry book with me, so I memorized through number 103. (I've tried to memorize the recent ones, but can't seem to get them to stick--sorry, Sg.) I'm slower than I used to be, but FJ! gave me enough time to get it from 63 and note that it made sense with the rest of the clue.

I only played quiz bowl for one year (my last year of grad school), but I was worth a "this silvery-white metal" question occasionally. I also memorized the constitutional amendments because that was a gap in our team knowledge, but what I still remember is spotty.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I went with californium.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was actually able to puzzle this one out because they named continents, which leaves it to either europium or americium. "America" was in the clue, so it must be the other one.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I said Europa instead of the correct answer.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:03 pm Rare earth with a geographic name? Ok, that’s Scandium, Yttrium, Ytterbium, Erbium, Terbium and Lutetium. Element 63? Ok, a Lanthanide so not Scandium. Now what? Oh, they’re all continents. What am I missing? Oh... Europium.
Did you actually run all that in real time? Props! I dismissed the ridiculous Ytterby set as being too obscure and ambiguous. I couldn't get further than Holmium, but knew it also was a stretch as a Stockholm derivative. In pause-time, I grudgingly gave up and went with Scandium, but knew it wasn't in the Lanthanide group. This is payback for when I figured out the 4 and 6 letter capitals the easy way.
I even re-looked at the clue for some TOM help, but imprinted "China" for Asia (that's where we get all these things), and read South America as "Argentina/Venezuela/Chile, etc..". We were given 3 continents. Do the math. I might as well have guessed Krypton - James' home planet.

The lady redshirt very briefly had a chance to find DD2, go all in, and make almost half of James' total. His gameplay is reminiscent of a baseball game with a 5 run lead in the first inning, another 5 runs in the 4th and 6th innings, and Mariano Rivera in the bullpen. Or, one of those soccer football games where somebody gets a point.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 pm I was actually able to puzzle this one out because they named continents, which leaves it to either europium or americium. "America" was in the clue, so it must be the other one.
pretty impressive you were able to do that