Friday, April 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7980, 2019-04-26

James Holzhauer game 17.

CONTESTANTS
Robin Falco, a nonprofit administrator from King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Tyler Lee, an international banking project manager from Hollis, New York
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 16-day cash winnings total $1,225,987)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good news, folks. Our champion, James, has a family member in the audience today.

James: Only took her 17 days.

[Laughter]

Alex: Listen--let it go. Tyler and Robin, welcome aboard also. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Let's find out what the categories are, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CRAZY WEATHER WE'RE HAVING! (4/4)
PLAYERS ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the team; we'll give the players to you.)
IT'S A GAS (4/5)
GREEK CUISINE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
1930s SLANG (4/5)
THE PLAY'S THE THING (5/5) (Alex: And we want you to name the play for us.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 17 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Tyler: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Robin: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $5,800
Tyler: $2,400
Robin: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: When you're in a game against a champion as talented as James, you might need a good luck charm. Robin Falco, I understand you brought one with you. What is it?

Robin: [Showing a string doll] This is--I call him Hamstring. And it's a string doll of Alexander Hamilton, who I've been sort of obsessively researching. And I picked this up the day before my Jeopardy! audition, and it seemed to have worked.

Alex: You know that things didn't end all that well for Alexander Hamilton.

[Laughter]

Robin: No, they didn't, but...

Alex: Who knows what's gonna happen here today?

Alex: Tyler Lee from Hollis, New York.

Tyler: Hello.

Alex: Your grandfather watches our program every day. Many grandparents do. But yours doesn't speak any English at all?

Tyler: Yeah, after 30 years of watching Jeopardy!, he still has not learned English.

Alex: Why does he watch?

Tyler: I think he likes to hear your voice.

Alex: [Facing the camera] Thank you, granddad. I'm very happy that you watch our program on a regular basis.

Alex: James, your wife's in the audience today.

James: Yeah, she's really into crafts. I think she's rooting for Robin now that she saw this doll.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, really? Now, you mentioned that at the end of yesterday's program that she's gonna be on your case because she's a Roman civilization scholar, and you missed the clue about plebeian.

James: Yeah, but you know, we've been to Rome three times, and every time she's brought me to John Keats' grave, and pointed to a little piece of land next to it and said,"When you make enough money, we'll bury ourselves here." So maybe we can work our way in there.

[The camera shows James' wife, Melissa, in the audience.]

Alex: What's her name?

James: Melissa.

Alex: Melissa, trust me. He's made enough money. You can buy that whole section of the cemetery.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tyler found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. James had $7,200, Tyler had $3,200, and Robin was at $1,200. Tyler made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

GREEK CUISINE $600: Made from the roe of the grey mullet, avgotaraho is sometimes called this delicacy "of the south"
(Tyler: What is, uh, avocado?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
1930s SLANG $600: The 1930s were a time of poverty, & dog soup meant a glass of this

IT'S A GAS $400: Europe's first use of gas for this purpose was with coal gas in William Murdock's cottage in 1792
(Robin: What is heating?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $9,200
Robin: $1,200
Tyler: $800
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MONTY PYTHON PHRASES (2/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)
INSPECTORS (4/4)
SOCIAL STUDIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OUT-OF-OFFICE E-MAILS (5/5)
A FORK IN THE ROAD (5/5)
"TAKE" IT (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 17 R (including 3 rebounds), 0 W
Robin: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Tyler: 3 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tyler snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. James had $9,200, Tyler had $800, and Robin was at $1,200. Tyler wagered $2,000.

SOCIAL STUDIES $800: "The Righteous Mind" examines polarization, specifically why 2 subjects so divide us:
politics & this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Robin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. James had $27,600, Tyler had $2,000, and Robin was at $5,600. Robin wagered $1,000.

MONTY PYTHON PHRASES $1200: This, in the film of that tile, is defined in part as "Be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book"
(Robin: Oh...)
(Alex: Anything?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SOCIAL STUDIES $2000: He's a senator from Nebraska & the author of "Them: Why We Hate Each Other--and How to Heal"

"TAKE" IT $1600: This manifold supplies fuel & air to your car's cylinders

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $29,600 (lock game)
Robin: $4,600
Tyler: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY NOVELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $20,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Robin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Tyler: You've no hope of catching up... unless Robin does something stupid. So risk $1,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title character of this 1841 novel says he got his name because he kills bucks & does, but not people

FINAL SCORES
Tyler: $1,600 - $1,600 = $0 (What is Tom Sawyer?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Robin: $4,600 - $1,300 = $3,300 (What is the Dear Hunter? (Hi Ada!)) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $29,600 + $20,000 = $49,600 (What is Deerslayer? Hi Tuesday) (17-day champion: $1,275,587)
(Alex: It's a James Fenimore Cooper novel.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $29,600, 34 R, 2 W
Robin: $5,600, 6 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Tyler: $3,600, 10 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 35/58 = .603
Tyler: 10/60 = .167
Robin: 6/59 = .102
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CRAZY WEATHER WE'RE HAVING! $1000: In 2013 there were 114-degree temps in La Rioja, the wine belt of this South American country
(James: What is Chile?)

IT'S A GAS $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a picture of a seer on the monitor.) Scientists have proposed that ethylene gas seeping from a fissure below the temple of Apollo was the mysterious vapor said to trigger this seer's trances

CRAZY WEATHER WE'RE HAVING! $800: Traveling at 35 miles per hour, here's a 2000' high dust storm over this southwestern capital city in the year 2012

GREEK CUISINE $200: Made in the Vytina region, the first type of this sweetener does not crystallize
(James: What is sugar?)
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

PLAYERS ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM $200: 2016:
Anthony Rizzo & Kris Bryant helped end a long dry spell
(Tyler: Who are the Red Sox?)

THE PLAY'S THE THING $200: Seems like Alan needs help--he's been doing terrible things to horses
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

A FORK IN THE ROAD $1600: At Palmera Village in Panama, head east on the Panamerican highway for Panama City; go west for this neighboring country
(Tyler: What is El Salvador?)

MONTY PYTHON PHRASES $2000: 5-word line that follows "I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition"
(Robin: What is "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition"?)

A FORK IN THE ROAD $800: The Strand forks into the Mall & Whitehall in the heart of this city
(Tyler: What is New York?)

"TAKE" IT $800: When you're hit by a delayed realization, you may do one of these numeric reactions
(Tyler: What's a second take?)

A FORK IN THE ROAD $400: At Barstow, Calif., take I-40 East to get to Needles or I-15 North to this more glamorous Nevada city of more than 600,000
(Alex: [As James rings in] Don't miss it, James.)

SOCIAL STUDIES $400: The book "Gunfight" focuses on the history & interpretation of this amendment to the Constitution
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
caviar
water
lighting
religion
the meaning of life
Senator Ben Sasse
the intake manifold
The Deerslayer
Argentina
the oracle (at Delphi)
Phoenix
honey
the Cubbies (or the Chicago Cubs)
Equus
Costa Rica
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition"
London
double take
Las Vegas
the Second
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY NOVELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title character of this 1841 novel says he got his name because he kills bucks & does, but not people

James Holzhauer: 29600+20000=49600 (17X = $1,275,587)
Tyler Lee: 1600-1600=0
Robin Falco: 4600-1300=3300

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Deerslayer (James added Hi Tuesday) (Tyler – Tom Sawyer) (Robin – The Deer Hunter and she added Hi Ada!)

Daily Doubles
Tyler: 3200-3200
Tyler: 800+2000
Robin: 5600-1000

Coryats
James: 29600
Tyler: 3600
Robin: 5600

Combined: 38,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 9200
Tyler: 800
Robin: 1200
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

I would be interested to know what the highest final score record is for someone who didn't uncover any Daily Doubles.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A FORK IN THE ROAD followed by "TAKE" IT must have had Yogi Berra smiling down today.

The challengers played all the DDs today to keep James's score down a bit. Unfortunately for the new players they went 1/3 on the DDs including a 5600-1000 on DD3 with James at 27600 and 4000 left on the board. On paper Robin could have had a chance to win the game. In reality she missed DD3 and the board was not cleared so did not matter. James had the game in hand, but when given the chance the challengers need to step up. Otherwise...

The FJ! response was at least not a typical Twain, Dickens, Austen or Frankenstein/Dracula to show the writers have some imagination. The clue led directly to a common work with hand-holding and basic connect the dots. Yes, a 17-time winner better get while those with their one shot are more likely to go astray.

James's wife Melissa got some camera time today.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:14 am The challengers played all the DDs today to keep James's score down a bit. Unfortunately for the new players they went 1/3 on the DDs including a 5600-1000 on DD3 with James at 27600 and 4000 left on the board. On paper Robin could have had a chance to win the game. In reality she missed DD3 and the board was not cleared so did not matter. James had the game in hand, but when given the chance the challengers need to step up. Otherwise...
This game showed that as was the case with Ken, James doesn't need the DD's to win in a runaway; he just uses them to lock up the game early and pad his score. When your average Coryat is over $29K, you have many ways to win. And even if Robin had gone all-in on DD3 and ultimately managed to break the lock, James would have won because he's now an astonishing 16 out of 17 on FJ's. I believe he's now one away from tying Ben Ingram's record of 12 consecutive correct FJ responses.

I ruined my chance for a perfect week on FJ's by saying The Deer Stalker. :( So close . . .
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

There was a path to beating James in this episode, but his opponents were not up to the task.

A book about a guy that kills deer is called The Deerslayer. Go figure.
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 pm I ruined my chance for a perfect week on FJ's by saying The Deer Stalker. :( So close . . .
I'm pretty sure it's The Deer Hunter, hbomb.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=887
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MFalk wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 pm I ruined my chance for a perfect week on FJ's by saying The Deer Stalker. :( So close . . .

What a horrible guess of The Deer Hunter in that 2006 game. The schlub who responded with that was probably never heard from again on J! :lol:
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:00 pm What a horrible guess of The Deer Hunter in that 2006 game. The schlub who responded with that was probably never heard from again on J! :lol:
Isn't there supposed to be a test that weeds those people out?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:12 pmA book about a guy that kills deer is called The Deerslayer. Go figure.
One day James is going to run up against a game with three Daily Doubles and a Final that aren't giveaways. He'll still have a 95% chance of winning, of course, but at least it'll give a challenger a Zerglike opportunity to eke by.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I wonder just how many stations will pre-empt Jeopardy! for the NFL Draft.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I saw an online promo today showing Tyler going TDD on DD1 with a voiceover stating "Is this the end for James?" Naturally this set off my clickbait detector. Somehow I knew James would have at least one game where he doesn't get a crack at any DDs, but so far, that's just been gravy.

I've heard of, and have had, a gyro. I didn't make the connection of them being sandwiches or cooked on a spit, though.

NHO "Equus" that I recall. Seemed like a very obscure category all around.

No guess on FJ! Also don't think I've heard of the correct response before.

Lach Trash: dog soup = water, lighting, intake. Also got the caviar DD.
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

jpr281 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm I wonder just how many stations will pre-empt Jeopardy! for the NFL Draft.
WABC in New York did. Ugh. :evil: I'm like an addict without my fix. And the usual "smuggler" has been prevented by Sony from uploading episodes to his usual cache. <<sweating and shaking >>. Does anyone in NYC area k-k-know if it will be b-b-broadcast during the n-n-night? :x
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was pretty sure that Ron Artest (the only name that I will ever call him) was still going by that name when he won a title in 2010. According to Wikipedia he didn't change his name until the next year.

I know that it was too late to make a difference, but come on, Robin, you have to bet big on that last DD!

Instant get FJ.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:39 pm
jpr281 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm I wonder just how many stations will pre-empt Jeopardy! for the NFL Draft.
WABC in New York did. Ugh. :evil: I'm like an addict without my fix. And the usual "smuggler" has been prevented by Sony from uploading episodes to his usual cache. <<sweating and shaking >>. Does anyone in NYC area k-k-know if it will be b-b-broadcast during the n-n-night? :x
WABC will be airing tonight's episode tomorrow at 7:30pm, FYI
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I can honestly say that the title The Deerslayer rings no bells with me. I knew The Leatherstocking Tales (which is what I said) as a whole but apparently not the individual parts.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Monty Python? More, please! :mrgreen:
I really thought Robin had a chance there. She was doing well in plays & the DD had a good chance of being there. Then she waived the white flag on the Monty Python DD which she didn't get anyway. :(
Read my share of JFC in high school. Easy FJ. 8-)
At least the challengers made James look mortal.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MFalk wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 pm

trebek with a blunder on his remark in that archive...he said deer hunter was a movie of course...well it was also a book...granted it was a novelization based on said movie, but there was also a book not just a movie by that name....humble pie there trebek
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

count the abc affiliates that air the show and all airings within the time slots of the draft to find your answer