So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:35 pm BTW, it's commendable that the one stratagem he's never used is taking as much time as possible to come up with the wager, so as to run out the clock.
With good reason ... why would he want to run out the clock? That just means less money for him. I was thinking that's what his opponents should be doing ... he seems to get into a rhythm, and I'd want to disrupt it if I could by pausing or hemming and hawing when picking a clue. Not that it'd do any good, mind you.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Either the wager or the response.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:08 pm
gnash wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:35 pm BTW, it's commendable that the one stratagem he's never used is taking as much time as possible to come up with the wager, so as to run out the clock.
With good reason ... why would he want to run out the clock? That just means less money for him. I was thinking that's what his opponents should be doing ... he seems to get into a rhythm, and I'd want to disrupt it if I could by pausing or hemming and hawing when picking a clue. Not that it'd do any good, mind you.
In the situation I just described, he could have increased his winnings by wagering, say, $15,000, but wasting some time to kill a few clues so he still couldn't be caught in case he misses. (As it turned out, two clues remained unplayed, but that wasn't James's fault.)

(ETA: Because he finds DDs so quickly, this is rarely even a potential issue in his games. The only other games in which he had a late DD were Tuesday, April 9, and Friday, April 19.)
Last edited by gnash on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:08 pm
This
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

What have we learned? We have learned that he has taken all the fun out of Jeopardy!:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/27/jeff ... -jeopardy/

Of all the pearl-clutching and hang-wringing about King James Holzhauer, this is by far the funniest and most over-the-top, in fact I have given it a sterling place in my signature, along with a fact that I am proud of.

But read this article, it's truly something. Even if we take it at face value (and I strongly disagree that there is no fun to be had in watching the King taken on the Hopefuls), the Mr. Simon is missing the point. If the show was really just about middle Americans answering the TV with good sportsmanship, then why exactly are there life-changing amounts of money at stake?* As for the story about Brooks and Reiner, well, for one thing, it's a bit rich for Mr. Simon to try and speak for them, or imply they are not engaging James' run. But, if Brooks and Reiner and not enjoying the run, may I point out that they have over $100 million between them, and so, sure, winning a million on J! may seem like chicken feed, and doing so in a calculated fashion may seem irksome. But to most people, the million is something special.

*That's my number one complaint with anyone critical of the King: the fact is, even though most J! contestants are probably doing well for themselves (a lot of lawyers and professors, not a lot of dishwashers, whatever Mr. Simon seems to think), the fact is that six figures are at stake, and that is a life-changing amount of money. I have long, in fact, had little respect for those who seem content to get on the show, get a picture with Alex, and not try to win. I love that James took a year off to prepare for the show (mind you, I heard the "year" remark on Reddit, so that may be exaggerated) ... let's be honest, winning one million dollars would make almost anyone a different person. But sure, accuse him of not being fun.

p.s. in case anyone is thinking it, no I did not create the King James website, but, yes, I find it a pretty great website and I like its terminology.

tl;dr Joy is overrated take the money.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

RKane wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:52 pm Of all the pearl-clutching and hang-wringing about King James Holzhauer, this is by far the funniest and most over-the-top, in fact I have given it a sterling place in my signature, along with a fact that I am proud of.
You spelled "Jeopardy" wrong.
SteelyPat
Contributor

Post by SteelyPat »

Yeah that Jeff Simon article is ridiculous. He has such a shitty take on the impressive amount of breadth-of-knowledge, consistent buzzer timing, and clue selection/wagering strategy that it takes to do what James Holzhauer has done and more or less insinuates that that particular makeup of his brain/character makes him less of a human and more of an automaton. It just strikes me as bitter and petty.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:14 am
RKane wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:52 pm Of all the pearl-clutching and hang-wringing about King James Holzhauer, this is by far the funniest and most over-the-top, in fact I have given it a sterling place in my signature, along with a fact that I am proud of.
No, really...he’ll never be on Jeooardy!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lampy »

The worst thing about the article is the insinuation that assholes can't love their families so James might not be an asshole. Trump loves his family too. Most exploitative, bullying sociopaths do.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Lampy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 am The worst thing about the article is the insinuation that assholes can't love their families so James might not be an asshole. Trump loves his family too. Most exploitative, bullying sociopaths do.
So much this.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Lampy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 am The worst thing about the article is the insinuation that assholes can't love their families so James might not be an asshole. Trump loves his family too. Most exploitative, bullying sociopaths do.
I've seen the thread where he anonymously accused you of cheating at LL, and I saw where he said you needed the 500 Question money more than he did. Both of those are asshole moves in my book. But your insinuation is that he is an exploitive, bullying sociopath. Almost everyone has pulled some asshole moves at some point. I'd like to see more evidence before I agree with your diagnosis.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Your capacity to compare everyone you dislike to Trump never ceases to impress me. Also, protip: getting mad online won't change the fact that on three separate occasions, James has made more money in one show than you did in your entire 500 Questions run.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

BRD-98 talking shit about my trivia ability has to set a new bar for not knowing when to shut up. You and James and Stephen Miller all deserve each other.
Last edited by Lampy on Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Vintsanity wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:52 am
I've seen the thread where he anonymously accused you of cheating at LL, and I saw where he said you needed the 500 Question money more than he did. Both of those are asshole moves in my book. But your insinuation is that he is an exploitive, bullying sociopath. Almost everyone has pulled some asshole moves at some point. I'd like to see more evidence before I agree with your diagnosis.
He didn't apologize, or admit it. He was proud of it. And there was no "insinuation" about it. It was a statement.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:14 am
LOL thanks! For five years I toot my own horn without noticing the fact I make a fool of myself. Sometimes you need a 50k winning Minnesotan to set you straight!
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Lampy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 am Trump loves his family too.
Does he?
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:42 pm
Lampy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 am Trump loves his family too.
Does he?
Seems like. Either way if you're giving a ton of credit for "doesn't apparently hate one's own children" I can't really see why.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Lampy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:33 pm
Vintsanity wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:52 am
He didn't apologize, or admit it. He was proud of it. And there was no "insinuation" about it. It was a statement.
My limited involvement in the trivia world is entirely online save for one tape day of J! I don't know anyone here personally, and my only sources of information are what I read online and see on TV. I realize that there may be IRL interactions that would change my opinion. But from my vantage point, I only see one person resembling a sociopathic bully, and it is you.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Who exactly am I "bullying" and how? Perhaps if I did it anonymously that would be more forgivable?
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Lampy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:23 pm Who exactly am I "bullying" and how?
Well, James for one. Not to mention BRD-98 upthread. Either James is an unapologetic asshole sociopathic bully, and you have taken it upon youself to warn the world, or he was a jerk to you four years ago, and you've made it your mission to totally destroy his reputation in retribution. It could be either one based on my extremely limited knowledge.