Thursday, April 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

gnash wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:25 pm
RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:10 pm I think my taste in movies is a little different than the clue writers... instagot Pulp Fiction. I ran the category as it happens, but found that to be far the easiest clue, surprised James missed it...btw was that the first time someone rebounded on him?
Pulp Fiction is the bane of professional gamblers.
professional gamblers that appeared on jeopardy anyway
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:10 pm Someday perhaps seaborgium will be an answer.
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5806
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

gnash wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:25 pm
RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:10 pm I think my taste in movies is a little different than the clue writers... instagot Pulp Fiction. I ran the category as it happens, but found that to be far the easiest clue, surprised James missed it...btw was that the first time someone rebounded on him?
Pulp Fiction is the bane of professional gamblers.
Haha indeed. Although I will say Alex's miss seems more justifiable, but I don't really think of movies in terms of their soundtracks so that's just my own bias.
alietr wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:46 pm
RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:10 pm Someday perhaps seaborgium will be an answer.
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5806
:clap:
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:30 pm
Wheatley wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 pm James has been very lucky on DD finding, and has had less board monopolization than last week. His buzzer speed this week wasn’t as good as last week, and I think there will come a game where he doesn’t get any of the DDs, comes into FJ behind, and gets it right but loses because the person in the lead got it too.
James's Coryats the first 4 games of this week:

$33,600
$34,000
$32,000
$28,400

Where's the evidence that he's had less board monopolization or buzzer dominance?
His game hinges on the DD’s, so a better measure would be how many potential DD squares he got to flip in these games versus past weeks. I’ll bet it’s less.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 pm

I precalled this. The lake is on the MA-CT border. Elementary school children in the Local District have to learn to spell and pronounce it correctly.
I'm more familiar with this one:

Beautiful lake. I saw one of those home-buying shows set in the locality.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:43 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:30 pm
Wheatley wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 pm James has been very lucky on DD finding, and has had less board monopolization than last week. His buzzer speed this week wasn’t as good as last week, and I think there will come a game where he doesn’t get any of the DDs, comes into FJ behind, and gets it right but loses because the person in the lead got it too.
James's Coryats the first 4 games of this week:

$33,600
$34,000
$32,000
$28,400

Where's the evidence that he's had less board monopolization or buzzer dominance?
His game hinges on the DD’s, so a better measure would be how many potential DD squares he got to flip in these games versus past weeks. I’ll bet it’s less.
His game doesn't hinge on the DD's; he's not using them to compensate for weaknesses in his skill set. With an average Coryat higher than Ken's was at the same point in his run, and with James having missed only 1 FJ through the game that aired April 25, the DD's are just another tool he uses, which help him put away games early and enable him to win insane amounts of money. But he's dominating by all metrics. With that said, DD's found by James in the first four games of this week:

Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Danmel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 pm Augh, I had a DVR glitch. And tomorrow's game is being preempted in the NYC area by the NFL draft. Does anyone know if there is an alternate place I can watch? The local affiliate here doesn't rebroadcast when the show is preempted.
Update: (and a correction!) WABC noted at the beginning of the NFL draft show the Friday J! episode would be shown at 7:30pm Saturday.
bob
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

bkellysky wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 pm
Danmel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 pm Augh, I had a DVR glitch. And tomorrow's game is being preempted in the NYC area by the NFL draft. Does anyone know if there is an alternate place I can watch? The local affiliate here doesn't rebroadcast when the show is preempted.
Update: (and a correction!) WABC noted at the beginning of the NFL draft show the Friday J! episode would be shown at 7:30pm Saturday.
bob
Thanks! I have set my dvr!
I will be out on a post passover bread binge!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

gnash wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:47 pm
mgiusto wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:05 pm I'm thinking at this point perhaps the producers have talked to him and coached him to bet differently to keep the game interesting for the viewers at home, this is afterall an entertainment program and how long are people going to tune in if he's just running up the score every single day.
I don't know if that would be legal, but it would certainly be unethical.
Please familiarize yourself with 47 USC 509: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/509
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Late to the party. Came here for confirmation that James is the type of player who has the periodic table memorized by atomic number. Still not sure he’d bother when there’s so much else to master. Maybe the first 30 or so.

I keep going back to the Sporcle periodic table quiz where you try to name all the elements. My best score is 98/118. I have them memorized in groups like elements named for people, places and mythological figures; elements with a single letter, elements whose symbol doesn’t match the name (Au, Pb). It’s a decent method, if a little haphazard. Sometimes I stare at the noble gases and think, “which one am I missing?” and I can’t really name them in order from top to bottom.

It’s probably worth finding a more systematic approach, but it was more than enough for me to discount Americium and get to Europium with think music to spare
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:16 am Late to the party. Came here for confirmation that James is the type of player who has the periodic table memorized by atomic number. Still not sure he’d bother when there’s so much else to master. Maybe the first 30 or so.

I keep going back to the Sporcle periodic table quiz where you try to name all the elements. My best score is 98/118. I have them memorized in groups like elements named for people, places and mythological figures; elements with a single letter, elements whose symbol doesn’t match the name (Au, Pb). It’s a decent method, if a little haphazard. Sometimes I stare at the noble gases and think, “which one am I missing?” and I can’t really name them in order from top to bottom.

It’s probably worth finding a more systematic approach, but it was more than enough for me to discount Americium and get to Europium with think music to spare
you got to check out jetpunk...is better than sporcle imo
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:42 pm you got to check out jetpunk...is better than sporcle imo
Ok I’ll do that ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can't believe we didn't give Opus his due on his day!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:30 pm I can't believe we didn't give Opus his due on his day!
It was on my calendar, but I figured it wasn't for me to point it out.