Friday, April 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:39 pm
jpr281 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm I wonder just how many stations will pre-empt Jeopardy! for the NFL Draft.
WABC in New York did.
Last edited by CasketRomance on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:23 pm I can honestly say that the title The Deerslayer rings no bells with me. I knew The Leatherstocking Tales (which is what I said) as a whole but apparently not the individual parts.
i suck at literature and got it...have it as an e book...have never read it though
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

isn't roe a pavlov for caviar?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:36 pm I saw an online promo today showing Tyler going TDD on DD1 with a voiceover stating "Is this the end for James?" Naturally this set off my clickbait detector. Somehow I knew James would have at least one game where he doesn't get a crack at any DDs, but so far, that's just been gravy.

I've heard of, and have had, a gyro. I didn't make the connection of them being sandwiches or cooked on a spit, though.

NHO "Equus" that I recall. Seemed like a very obscure category all around.

No guess on FJ! Also don't think I've heard of the correct response before.

Lach Trash: dog soup = water, lighting, intake. Also got the caviar DD.
never saw the arby's commercial within the last year...gyros are sandwiches...bread and stuff inside=sandwich....when you got a gyro you never saw the dude slice the lamb off a rotisserie?

btw...shouldn't trebek have corrected the pronunciation of said sandwich? dude loves correcting mispronunciations, but he let that one slide as the proper should have been yee ro

now that is pretty impressive...miss gyro but get caviar
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

DBear wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:43 pm Monty Python? More, please! :mrgreen:
I really thought Robin had a chance there. She was doing well in plays & the DD had a good chance of being there. Then she waived the white flag on the Monty Python DD which she didn't get anyway. :(
Read my share of JFC in high school. Easy FJ. 8-)
At least the challengers made James look mortal.
I very much enjoyed watching both challengers today, and I hope Robin is seated in a Comfy Chair to view her episode!
Golf

Post by Golf »

StevenH wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:54 pm I know that it was too late to make a difference, but come on, Robin, you have to bet big on that last DD!
As already touched on, it was not too late to make a difference. A TDD followed by snagging say 5/6 of the 7 clues left would have prevented a lock. But no. Even in a category she obviously really liked. But because she blanked on the previous clue, she got scared for no reason on a clue that was higher on the board.
brick

Post by brick »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:39 pm
jpr281 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm I wonder just how many stations will pre-empt Jeopardy! for the NFL Draft.
WABC in New York did. Ugh. :evil: I'm like an addict without my fix. And the usual "smuggler" has been prevented by Sony from uploading episodes to his usual cache. <<sweating and shaking >>. Does anyone in NYC area k-k-know if it will be b-b-broadcast during the n-n-night? :x
If you get something, hook me up please?

NFL draft, indeed....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:53 pm never saw the arby's commercial within the last year...gyros are sandwiches...bread and stuff inside=sandwich....when you got a gyro you never saw the dude slice the lamb off a rotisserie?
I thought the clue was suggesting the whole sandwich was on a spit, not just the meat.

And the "bread and stuff inside" comment of course brings up the old argument: is a hot dog a sandwich? What about a Hot Pocket? A pasty? A chicken wrap?

Some of it's also categorical. Like I once missed a clue on Doritos because I didn't think of them as "tortilla chips". I just thought they were, well, Doritos and didn't really fit into any other category. Likewise, I thought a gyro was just a gyro and didn't fit into any category.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:38 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:53 pm never saw the arby's commercial within the last year...gyros are sandwiches...bread and stuff inside=sandwich....when you got a gyro you never saw the dude slice the lamb off a rotisserie?
I thought the clue was suggesting the whole sandwich was on a spit, not just the meat.

And the "bread and stuff inside" comment of course brings up the old argument: is a hot dog a sandwich? What about a Hot Pocket? A pasty? A chicken wrap?

Some of it's also categorical. Like I once missed a clue on Doritos because I didn't think of them as "tortilla chips". I just thought they were, well, Doritos and didn't really fit into any other category. Likewise, I thought a gyro was just a gyro and didn't fit into any category.
all sandwiches
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Again, haven't heard of "The Deerslayer". "The Deer Hunter" came to mind but I figured it wouldn't be right, as the only thing I know with that title is that military movie with Christopher Walken.
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:48 pm isn't roe a pavlov for caviar?
Yes.
Has the audience ever before gasped when a player didn't choose to maximize her Daily Double? I may have been hearing things there, but no mistaking the disappointment in Alex's voice...
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

davey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:48 pm isn't roe a pavlov for caviar?
Yes.
Has the audience ever before gasped when a player didn't choose to maximize her Daily Double? I may have been hearing things there, but no mistaking the disappointment in Alex's voice...
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

I'm tipping my hat to James, I never heard of The Deerslayer, the Leatherstocking Tales, or James Fenimore Cooper, and I thought that 19th Century Novels would be a good category for me. I thought that this was some kind of mind-blowingly deep get, and a good demonstration of the fact that even though he's been served a lot of softballs, he's up for the real challenges too.

...then I read the comments here, and apparently it's not that mind-blowing.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Only thing I could think of around that time period was Last of the Mohicans. I knew that wasn't the right answer but at least I was on the right track.

I nearly negged with Carnarvon instead of Howard Carter, since I was thinking about him in light of the Lord Elgin FJ the other day.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

another thing, was Alex out of line with his "you better not miss this one, James" for the Las Vegas clue?

I'm not saying that James wouldn't have got the correct response otherwise, but it still feels below board.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

James went beyond being an arrogant player and into effing rude when he interrupted Alex''s intro.

Tyler looked like he might be able to make it a close game by finding that jeopardy round daily Double but he showed he wasn't any threat to any champ when he didn't understand that roe is Pavlovian for caviar and couldn't figure out that it was the Cubs whose dry spell ended in 2016. Not knowing linear Central American countries is also bad.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:48 pm another thing, was Alex out of line with his "you better not miss this one, James" for the Las Vegas clue?

I'm not saying that James wouldn't have got the correct response otherwise, but it still feels below board.
was thinking the same thing
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:48 pm another thing, was Alex out of line with his "you better not miss this one, James" for the Las Vegas clue?

I think so. Granted, it was a low leverage situation being at the very end of a runaway game, but it's a poor look.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Right, not fully appropriate on the part of the host.

ForJames Fenimore Cooper: (some, not all, though most)
Natty Bumppo
Uncas
The Deerslayer
The Leatherstocking Tales
The Last of the Mohicans
The Pathfinder
The Pioneers

Over the years J! has used dozen of combinations for the above.

There was also a full category:
#6253, aired 2011-11-23 CHARACTER IN JAMES FENIMORE COOPER $400: First & last name of the scout who's Cooper's most famous creation
#6253, aired 2011-11-23 CHARACTER IN JAMES FENIMORE COOPER $800: "The troops and rangers call me" this title, "inasmuch as I have never been known to miss one end of the trail"
#6253, aired 2011-11-23 CHARACTER IN JAMES FENIMORE COOPER $1600: In "The Last of the Mohicans", he's Chingachgook's friend with a name out of "M*A*S*H"
#6253, aired 2011-11-23 CHARACTER IN JAMES FENIMORE COOPER $2000: In the tale "The Pioneers", it's 1793 & this hunter named for his apparel has spent 50 years in the wilderness
#6253, aired 2011-11-23 CHARACTER IN JAMES FENIMORE COOPER $6,000 (Daily Double): Fittingly, the title character of this 1841 novel dines on venison in Chapter 1

For those that study the Archive religiously or have the decades in for watching the show it's a huge advantage due to the repetition. Pick a few from the list and plug them into the Archive to see the length of results.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Thanks for the info Mark. Yeah, if I was ever going to be on the show I would definitely hit the archive, and I suspect I would come across Cooper and make some of the connections, but I was utterly lost today as it was. I have heard of (and seen the film of) The Last of the Mohicans and knew the film was based on a novel, but I could not have told you what century the novel was from, let alone the author's name. Just one of those blindspots.