Friday, April 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, April 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Le Master »

RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:09 pm Thanks for the info Mark. Yeah, if I was ever going to be on the show I would definitely hit the archive, and I suspect I would come across Cooper and make some of the connections, but I was utterly lost today as it was. I have heard of (and seen the film of) The Last of the Mohicans and knew the film was based on a novel, but I could not have told you what century the novel was from, let alone the author's name. Just one of those blindspots.
While I'm pretty aware of The Leatherstocking Tales and basic facts about the series anyway, they're especially etched in my mind because years ago I turned every practice questions in Dupee's How to get on Jeopardy and Win! into MemoryLift flashcards and memorized them all. He has many questions on the series and characters.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

brick wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:18 pm
Don't Think Twice wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:39 pm
jpr281 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm I wonder just how many stations will pre-empt Jeopardy! for the NFL Draft.
WABC in New York did. Ugh. :evil: I'm like an addict without my fix. And the usual "smuggler" has been prevented by Sony from uploading episodes to his usual cache. <<sweating and shaking >>. Does anyone in NYC area k-k-know if it will be b-b-broadcast during the n-n-night? :x
If you get something, hook me up please?

NFL draft, indeed....
I replied to that guy, but will to you too. WABC is airing tonight's Jeopardy episode tomorrow (Saturday) at 7:30pm
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:09 pm Thanks for the info Mark. Yeah, if I was ever going to be on the show I would definitely hit the archive, and I suspect I would come across Cooper and make some of the connections, but I was utterly lost today as it was. I have heard of (and seen the film of) The Last of the Mohicans and knew the film was based on a novel, but I could not have told you what century the novel was from, let alone the author's name. Just one of those blindspots.
side note...related to the dude for whom the town of cooperstown, new york (baseball hall of fame) is named
mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

What does everyone think "Hello Tuesday" meant in James' FJ response?
Do you think he was referring to 3 days prior to this show when he eclipsed $1m in earnings?

PS: How can I send a PM to someone? It's sitting in my outbox and never sends. Thanks
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Alex was at his best in the interview segment where he communicated with the contestant's grandfather who doesn't speak english. He pulls that off effortlessly while battling an illness that is normally terminal.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

I can imagine myself potentially going with Natty Bumpo for the Final. (out of caution to be sure I don't flub with Sherlock's Hat or Walken's film...)

I think that would've been accepted (Natty was, indeed, the title character of the The Deerslayer) Do others concur?

That game was fascinating to watch - as expected, James is perfectly capable of a dominant win without DDs. (IMO his DD-hunting edge seemed a little dull at the end of this tape day - eg picking 2nd row clues when DD3 was still unseen...)

My heart broke for Robin when she so slightly missed the Spanish Inquisition quote. She was clearly a big Monty Python fan, I suspect that miss rattled her so badly that it was the basis for her low DD wager (and subsequent miss) in the same category.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

mgiusto wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:40 am PS: How can I send a PM to someone? It's sitting in my outbox and never sends. Thanks
A message in the outbox means the recipient didn't read it on the board yet. However, since the board also sends an email with the message, it doesn't mean it wasn't read.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

mgiusto wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:40 am What does everyone think "Hello Tuesday" meant in James' FJ response?
Do you think he was referring to 3 days prior to this show when he eclipsed $1m in earnings?
Maybe he knows Tuesday Weld (who to my surprise is still alive - she is only 75, so there is no reason why she should not be alive, but for some reason I thought she was dead). Not very likely, but he could have some friend who has a weird name, either as a real name or a nickname.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

boson wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31 am
mgiusto wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:40 am PS: How can I send a PM to someone? It's sitting in my outbox and never sends. Thanks
A message in the outbox means the recipient didn't read it on the board yet. However, since the board also sends an email with the message, it doesn't mean it wasn't read.
Also, as a newbie myself making this mistake multiple times - make sure you have something in the subject line. If you don't, you get a dialog box that you may not notice, and you wind up losing your draft.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
brick

Post by brick »

Thank you to those who helped me find the show to watch last night.

I got Deerstalker stuck in my head and couldn't shove it out, even though I knew it was wrong. Painful. Like a bit of gristle between your teeth.

I feel like the champ gets a little tired after lunch. He's not quite as quick on Thursday and Friday as he is earlier in the week. Anyone else notice that?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:51 am
mgiusto wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:40 am What does everyone think "Hello Tuesday" meant in James' FJ response?
Maybe he knows Tuesday Weld (who to my surprise is still alive - she is only 75, so there is no reason why she should not be alive, but for some reason I thought she was dead). Not very likely, but he could have some friend who has a weird name, either as a real name or a nickname.
(rhetorical questions, not worth the oxygen to explain)
Could he just be referring to his next taping day, assuming this was the Wednesday end of session?

Do you think they asked him to refer to his wife's appearance as "17" days late to respect the illusion of a live daily taping? And why the reveal at the end of his 4th (?) taping day?
Yeah, the lady had a mathematical crack at staying in the game. Convert the TDD3, wipe out almost all of the remains, and double up in FJ with a miss by James. She may have gone the deepest of any contestant so far? (It seems like there was an early game that wasn't locked before we knew what a game changer was on our hands).

No problem with FJ for me. It's just a word I know, and plenty of TOM in the clue. I didn't know the works were all part of an anthology or anything. I'm not surprised at the misses, as I have no clue why Leatherstocking, Natty Bumpo, LOTM, and Deerstalker are in my cerebrum. Probably from the old days when we had to memorize all those damn white European explorers (invaders).:lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Off the Archive(Everything may not be in order.):
52 R (Missed Jazz Singer(Doubt many people my age would know who that person is.), the Bottom Two in Social Studies, and "Take" It $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Caviar), Lighting, Water, Intake, (The Meaning of Life)
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

RobW wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:15 am I can imagine myself potentially going with Natty Bumpo for the Final. (out of caution to be sure I don't flub with Sherlock's Hat or Walken's film...)

I think that would've been accepted (Natty was, indeed, the title character of the The Deerslayer) Do others concur?
Nope. The prompt was "this 1841 novel," not "this title character"...
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

RobW wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:15 am I can imagine myself potentially going with Natty Bumpo for the Final. (out of caution to be sure I don't flub with Sherlock's Hat or Walken's film...)

I was wondering the same thing as the responses were being revealed. I guess they'd say they pinned it by mentioning that the correct name was directly related to does and bucks.

(Edited to add that I was delighted--astonished, actually--to see Mildred Bailey mentioned in today's game!)
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

davey wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:05 pm

Nope. The prompt was "this 1841 novel," not "this title character"...
Doh, RTFQ!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I concur. Natty Bumppo is not the name he got because "he kills bucks & does, but not people". But the clue doesn't say "this name". It says "his name". So I think we're in the territory of a response that isn't exactly right but it isn't wrong either. In these cases the judges tend to rule on the side of "isn't wrong".
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:58 pm
RKane wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:48 pm another thing, was Alex out of line with his "you better not miss this one, James" for the Las Vegas clue?

I'm not saying that James wouldn't have got the correct response otherwise, but it still feels below board.
I think so. Granted, it was a low leverage situation being at the very end of a runaway game, but it's a poor look.
I agree. The comment would have been far more appropriate AFTER James had answered the question. "I didn't think you'd miss that one" looks much better and avoids any hint of impropriety.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

As already noted, James wins simply by knowing a lot and buzzing in quickly. He wins a lot of money with his aggressive wagering strategy and DD hunting techniques. The aggressive wagering could easily be a problem for someone without his extensive knowledge base. He has some quirks I'm not fond of, but there is no denying he's one of the best Jeopardy players ever, with only a couple of others even entering the discussion.

Personally, I find this win to be one of his more impressive, despite the fact that the dollar winnings are on the low side for him.
--Peter
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:06 pm

I concur. Natty Bumppo is not the name he got because "he kills bucks & does, but not people". But the clue doesn't say "this name". It says "his name". So I think we're in the territory of a response that isn't exactly right but it isn't wrong either. In these cases the judges tend to rule on the side of "isn't wrong".
The title character OF THIS NOVEL. There’s really no wiggle room there.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:35 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:06 pm

The title character OF THIS NOVEL. There’s really no wiggle room there.
Agreed. I hereby un-concur.