Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Rule Change Effective 4/29/19 - No More FJ! Shout-Outs

Post by Lefty »

I had always planned, if I ever got on the show and the FJ answer seemed to be "Bette Davis", that I would write her last name at the bottom in the shape of a smile, or at least with a sort of symmetry that would suggest lips, while the B in "Bette" would be her right ear and the ? would be her left. The two t's I'd draw together, slightly below the e's, to represent her nose, then the e's would have big eyes complete with pupils and big lashes.

I guess I won't be doing that now.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Lefty wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:50 pm I had always planned, if I ever got on the show and the FJ answer seemed to be "Bette Davis", that I would write her last name at the bottom in the shape of a smile, or at least with a sort of symmetry that would suggest lips, while the B in "Bette" would be her right ear and the ? would be her left. The two t's I'd draw together, slightly below the e's, to represent her nose, then the e's would have big eyes complete with pupils and big lashes.

As long as it's still just letters, they'd have to accept that. Legibility would be the only thing that might hurt you
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Wheatley wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 pm
Lefty wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:50 pm I had always planned, if I ever got on the show and the FJ answer seemed to be "Bette Davis", that I would write her last name at the bottom in the shape of a smile, or at least with a sort of symmetry that would suggest lips, while the B in "Bette" would be her right ear and the ? would be her left. The two t's I'd draw together, slightly below the e's, to represent her nose, then the e's would have big eyes complete with pupils and big lashes.

As long as it's still just letters, they'd have to accept that. Legibility would be the only thing that might hurt you
Ok, but what if they want Joan Crawford?
I'm smart and I want respect.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Never bothered me in the slightest, seems like a pointless change. Warn them, sure, but if you miss FJ because you took time to write a shout-out and didn't have enough time to change your answer, that's your fault. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. *shrug*
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:48 am Never bothered me in the slightest, seems like a pointless change. Warn them, sure, but if you miss FJ because you took time to write a shout-out and didn't have enough time to change your answer, that's your fault. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. *shrug*
Even though I expressed support for the change, I am pretty apathetic about it. I don't like rules for the sake of it. Contestants ought to have their fifteen minutes of fame, since at least 2/3rds of them are footing expenses on behalf of the show. But I flipped to the police state in this case because I would have dreaded the prospect of a couple hundred more of James' epilogues. It's like the NFL end zone celebrations - when will the players tire of them? Been there, done that, now give the ref the ball and follow Vince Lombardi's advice and act like you've been there before. ;)
As mentioned earlier, this may be a Standards and Practices paranoia issue. There's already rumblings about how the game is rigged because the other contestants aren't trying to answer and James has been given the answers. It was on the internet, therefore must be true. :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I never really care that much, and am totally fine with personal messages. Outside of "What is Aleve?", none of them seem really memorable. I vaguely remember a story that there was an FJ where the answer was two out of the three of Hawaii, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania, and there were instructions for no personal messages on that FJ beforehand. In that case, I can understand it, since someone could say HI, PA or HI, MA and it would probably have to be accepted. But outside of situations like that, I don't see what the big deal is.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:15 am
Shaymin wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:10 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am For a threadjack we can remember some add-ons or personal messages which I would think are banned as well.

Jill B C on losing her 5th game: What is Sorry Cory no Jag?

Ken Jennings when losing to Watson: (I for one welcome our new computer overlords)

Those are the first two that came to mind with Keith Whitener's, "I love you, Rachel" another memorable one when he had his ToC semifinal game locked.
Not a shoutout as much, but I believe a Teen Tournament ended with "What is some old guy but I don't care because I just won $100,000?"
That was Leonard Cooper. Since he wasn't even trying to answer correctly, I don't think that would matter.

If the guy who finished second had bet it all, Cooper’s comment would really have been funny.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:01 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am For a threadjack we can remember some add-ons or personal messages which I would think are banned as well.

Ken Jennings when losing to Watson: (I for one welcome our new computer overlords)

Those are the first two that came to mind with Keith Whitener's, "I love you, Rachel" another memorable one when he had his ToC semifinal game locked.
Not a shoutout as much, but I believe a Teen Tournament ended with "What is some old guy but I don't care because I just won $100,000?"
That was Leonard Cooper. Since he wasn't even trying to answer correctly, I don't think that would matter.

If the guy who finished second had bet it all, Cooper’s comment would really have been funny.
The guy who finished second did bet it all. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4077
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:01 am

If Nilai, who finished third, had gotten it right, you meant to say.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Honestly, no offense to Leonard, but I would have liked to see that happen, to see how it would have gone down.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Lefty wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:06 am
Wheatley wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 pm

Ok, but what if they want Joan Crawford?
Joan Crawford has risen from the grave.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:04 am I never really care that much, and am totally fine with personal messages. Outside of "What is Aleve?", none of them seem really memorable.
You don't think "Sorry Cory, No Jag", "Turd Ferguson", or "Kebert Xela" were memorable? I've actually found quite a few of the joke responses enjoyable. I've said it before -- how dare someone have fun on a game show!

Me, I'd be tempted to see how much of the "They speak English in What?" scene from Pulp Fiction I could write in 30 seconds.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 am Honestly, no offense to Leonard, but I would have liked to see that happen, to see how it would have gone down.
I suspect they would have reshot the ending (or at least his reveal).
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:04 am I never really care that much, and am totally fine with personal messages. Outside of "What is Aleve?", none of them seem really memorable.
You don't think "Sorry Cory, No Jag", "Turd Ferguson", or "Kebert Xela" were memorable? I've actually found quite a few of the joke responses enjoyable. I've said it before -- how dare someone have fun on a game show!

Me, I'd be tempted to see how much of the "They speak English in What?" scene from Pulp Fiction I could write in 30 seconds.
How can anyone forget Kinky Boots.
ACW

Post by ACW »

What a STUPID rule change.
Evidently, the producers are worried that James is wasting too much precious FJ response time and want to force him to play more efficiently.
What a STUPID reason for a STUPID rule change. It's not like he's getting more time to answer.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

ACW wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:56 pm What a STUPID rule change.
Agreed. Dumb as hell.

Maybe there was something that happened in a taping of an episode that hasn't been shown yet... something nobody anticipated. Can't imagine what, tho...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks to Sg and Jeff for the correction.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

I think it's too bad but I see why they did it.

My real concern is if they decide to ban wagers that aren't a multiple of $200 (or, less extremely, wagers than aren't a multiple of some number greater than 1). It's both a legitimate strategic move and a fun mental game to use such numbers.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

That's too bad. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I'll miss them. Guess we may still see some for answers the contestant knows they aren't getting right, still :).
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 pm

You're right, there have been some other good ones, but Turd Ferguson, Kebert Xela, and Kinky Boots were technically question guesses and not deliberately shoutouts. In fact, Talia put "Hi, mom" underneath the Turd Ferguson one.