Monday, April 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

mdude04 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:05 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 pm I don't think I'm wrong stating that James would have lost if he hadn't found that Jeopardy round Daily Double.
Explain?
DJ round, I mean.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a treat to watch! I really liked this board.

I honestly thought that James was going to miss FJ. To me it looked like he struggled with it during the think music. And I had no idea on FJ.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:14 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 pm I don't think I'm wrong stating that James would have lost if he hadn't found that Jeopardy round Daily Double.
Explain?
DJ round, I mean.
You're making a lot of assumptions. I highly doubt Adam would have wagered $12K on the bottom-box DD-3 (assuming he even still found it in your alternate sequence of events) if he didn't feel forced to by the situation. The most that can be said is that if Adam had found both DJ DD's (and remember, Jasmine could have found DD2, and she probably wasn't going to win regardless, since she missed FJ), then Adam might have gone into FJ with a lead, which is what it would have taken for James to lose this game.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Adam, Adam, Adam. Oh, buddy. You are so lucky you're not looking forward to a remaining lifetime of regret. Wow. What were you thinking?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vowela wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:05 pm Would "bed and breakfast" have been accepted for the "room and board" clue? I can't remember the exact wording that clue had.
That's what I said and I'm pretty sure it works fine.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:14 pm
Explain?
DJ round, I mean.
At DD2 James had 15,000 and Adam trailed with 9000 and Jasmine had 7400. James added 10117 to his score. Let's take away DD2 from James. 33,517-10,117=23,400 for the FJ! round.

Let's give DD2 to Adam with his 9000. He can bet 6000 to tie James or all in and take the lead. Let's give Adam the full farm. He's now at 18,000. Adam added 4000 worth of clues between DD2 and DD3, so we'll keep it the same.

Adam has 22,000 at DD3 with James at 18200 with the 3200 he gained in clues between the DDs. We know that Adam solved DD3, so let's give him 4000 of his 4200 lead. James made 5200 after DD3, so that takes him up to 23400 for the FJ! round. Adam added 2000 to his score after DD3 for the hypothetical 28,000 for the FJ! round. Adam wins with $46,801.

Where the "what if" game runs into snags:
#1 Did Adam know Beowulf?
#2 What if Jasmine found DD2 instead?

For #2 it's James at 18200 for DD3 and Adam at 13000. We can't know Adam's wager with this scoreboard. We do know James added 5200 to be at that 23400 worked out above. Adam needs to be above 23400. He gets $2000 from those remaining clues leaving him still needing 8400 on DD3. Would have Adam have gone that high? Don't know. I'm not feeling 12,000 again with the scores that way. I think James still wins even without finding DD2.

For another from dreamland is all of the posts (not so much from this forum) declaring that on any other night Adam would have won at least 5-10 games. Adam was 1/1 on DDs and solved the FJ! clue with a 17,000 Coryat against James. Very nice though nothing spectacular that would in any way justify the leap on Adam's long-run success. I'd take the under since the 53,999 from finishing 2nd does not blind me just because it's an unprecedented runner-up number.
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

Vowela wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:05 pm Would "bed and breakfast" have been accepted for the "room and board" clue? I can't remember the exact wording that clue had.
That was my answer too, but the reference to California law probably pins it to room and board. Serious neg-bait...
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:40 pm Adam, Adam, Adam. Oh, buddy. You are so lucky you're not looking forward to a remaining lifetime of regret. Wow. What were you thinking?
I’ve read this 8 times and still don’t know what you’re trying to say.
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

I had no clue initially on FJ, but I did realize that the French "de" meant "of" and from the rest of the clue it was a fairly easy guess.

Adam can certainly hold his head high. Well-played game against one of the all-time greats.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Great performance by Adam. Definitely one of James' top challengers, and one of his two closest games yet. I'm rooting for James to run the rest of this week again. Hopefully he'll be locking up the next four and winning like $100,000 in each game to make up for this one.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Roland wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:14 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:40 pm Adam, Adam, Adam. Oh, buddy. You are so lucky you're not looking forward to a remaining lifetime of regret. Wow. What were you thinking?
He's referring to Adam's overwager on FJ, which didn't end up making a difference, but would have cost Adam a win if he and James had both responded incorrectly to the FJ clue.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If James missed the FJ! that puts him at 13,017. Jasmine had the potential of 15600 to be above James's drop down score if she solved the clue. Her zero wager gave her no chance to do that. Adam had Jasmine locked to make sure he could stay above her 15600. If the clue was real tough and James & Adam did not get it right, what happens? James still wins since Adam would have dropped to a buck.

Adam betting big looks pretty and many have been dazzled by his big finish. Did it give him the best chance to win? Absolutely not. James was unquestionably going to wager to be at 54,001 or above as he did at 54,017. It's possible Adam could have got a FJ! right that James did not and then Adam would have had a nice pay day.

Strategically it is probably best for Adam not to wager as much as he did. He would have had a long time regret if he had let James off the hook to win with 13,017 when it did not need to happen.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Another 50,000+ combined Coryat game. Absolutely unbelievable. This is the sort of thing that happens once, maybe twice in a typical season.
It's worth noting that James's and Ken's toughest opponents were both named Adam:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=38
Hoping for a third lap
Cyric29
Contributor

Post by Cyric29 »

The Answer Is wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:33 pm
mdude04 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:30 pm $53,999 has got to be the highest losing score of all time, no?
Indeed it is.

Where/how do you search for this information, I can't find it? I'm looking to see where Adam's total ranks overall on one day total score.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 pm For another from dreamland is all of the posts (not so much from this forum) declaring that on any other night Adam would have won at least 5-10 games. Adam was 1/1 on DDs and solved the FJ! clue with a 17,000 Coryat against James. Very nice though nothing spectacular that would in any way justify the leap on Adam's long-run success. I'd take the under since the 53,999 from finishing 2nd does not blind me just because it's an unprecedented runner-up number.
Yeah, I've seen those posts on reddit. The counterargument to your point is that Adam put up a $17K Coryat, which is better than some (many?) TOC'ers over the years have averaged, despite facing James who's devastating on the buzzer and averaging over $29.5K in Coryat. So imagine how well Adam might have fared against more mortal opponents against whom he could have gotten in on more clues. Still, it's true that every time a player has an impressive debut, some people declare that we're about to see an extended run; and that usually doesn't end up happening.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

challengers did okay today...my only complaint with them today...why do you keep going to a tv category when daily doubles are out there? daily doubles are almost never in such categories
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 pm
If James missed the FJ! that puts him at 13,017. Jasmine had the potential of 15600 to be above James's drop down score if she solved the clue. Her zero wager gave her no chance to do that. Adam had Jasmine locked to make sure he could stay above her 15600. If the clue was real tough and James & Adam did not get it right, what happens? James still wins since Adam would have dropped to a buck.

Adam betting big looks pretty and many have been dazzled by his big finish. Did it give him the best chance to win? Absolutely not. James was unquestionably going to wager to be at 54,001 or above as he did at 54,017. It's possible Adam could have got a FJ! right that James did not and then Adam would have had a nice pay day.

Strategically it is probably best for Adam not to wager as much as he did. He would have had a long time regret if he had let James off the hook to win with 13,017 when it did not need to happen.
Oh, of course. Got it thanks.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 pm challengers did okay today...my only complaint with them today...wtf do you keep going to a tv category when daily doubles are out there? daily doubles are almost never in such categories
100% agree, but they did better than okay. Give credit where credit is due. It’s Monday, these 2 didn’t have the benefit of seeing him play

Didn’t change the outcome, but Adam needed to go TDD without hesitation

Got FJ. Worded oddly. But now I see what they were going for. “Chamber of commerce” and “chambre de commerce” are pretty much the same but for the de/of

No doubt James is great but I’m disappointed in tonight’s outcome. I’m ready for his epic run to end.

Guy is amazing, but pulmonary for hepatic was a pretty bad miss, and it seems like he knew it but rushed his response

I’m impressed that he got Garcia Lorca. I knew that one, but I have a theatre background. Blood Wedding doesn’t sound like anything you’d find in a children’s library

Finally, Adam played well but it’s impossible to say how far he could have gone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Got all 3 DD and Final. That’s a good day for me lol
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:02 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 pm challengers did okay today...my only complaint with them today...wtf do you keep going to a tv category when daily doubles are out there? daily doubles are almost never in such categories
100% agree, but they did better than okay. Give credit where credit is due. It’s Monday, these 2 didn’t have the benefit of seeing him play

Didn’t change the outcome, but Adam needed to go TDD without hesitation

Got FJ. Worded oddly. But now I see what they were going for. “Chamber of commerce” and “chambre de commerce” are pretty much the same but for the de/of

No doubt James is great but I’m disappointed in tonight’s outcome. I’m ready for his epic run to end.

Guy is amazing, but pulmonary for hepatic was a pretty bad miss, and it seems like he knew it but rushed his response

I’m impressed that he got Garcia Lorca. I knew that one, but I have a theatre background. Blood Wedding doesn’t sound like anything you’d find in a children’s library

Finally, Adam played well but it’s impossible to say how far he could have gone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Got all 3 DD and Final. That’s a good day for me lol
never heard of either of them
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

That was a pretty straightforward FJ to start the week.