Monday, April 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, April 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:20 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:02 pmGuy is amazing, but pulmonary for hepatic was a pretty bad miss, and it seems like he knew it but rushed his response
never heard of either of them
There’s a very short list of adjectives related to body organs that you could memorize
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:28 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:20 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:02 pmGuy is amazing, but pulmonary for hepatic was a pretty bad miss, and it seems like he knew it but rushed his response
never heard of either of them
There’s a very short list of adjectives related to body organs that you could memorize
the body bores me
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Solid State, Write-off, and Room and Board.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Hepatic), Jimmy Stewart, Abraham Lincoln Battalion
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

silverpie wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:55 pm
Vowela wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:05 pm Would "bed and breakfast" have been accepted for the "room and board" clue? I can't remember the exact wording that clue had.
That was my answer too, but the reference to California law probably pins it to room and board. Serious neg-bait...
Yes, the CA code section on "lodgers" and "room and board" is separate from the section on "bed and breakfast inns," as it calls them.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:06 pm 57 R (Missed Solid State, Write-off, and Room and Board.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Hepatic), Jimmy Stewart, Abraham Lincoln Battalion

Someone get LSV up there so he can beat James.

17000 coryat against James is probably, what, 23000 against anyone else?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote: Didn’t change the outcome, but Adam needed to go TDD without hesitation
I felt his wager was adequate. It was the last DD, so James was limited to only gaining the value of the remaining clues. Adam wound up DJ in fine shape. My only nit pick would be for Adam to tag $17 onto his wager, preferably with an odd numbered 100s value. So then James might be pressured to alter his final wager so that it did not add up to one of his 'pet' numbers, for a change.
MarkBarrett wrote: Jasmine had the potential to be above James's drop down score if she solved the clue. Her zero wager gave her no chance to do that.
So then Alex promptly tells her it was probably the "smart" thing to do.
He should work on perfecting a Joe Biden impersonation for when he makes those kinds of proclamations.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Somehow, the new Hunger Game contestants have some insight into the paradigm shift. Several have come out and taken over the bottom box hunting early in SJ and immediately hunting for DD's in DJ. This is not typical play out of the gate. These were Monday's victims - probably haven't seen James play yet. Did they process all that just from the 18 days and the huge money bucket?

James' reign isn't going to end unless the FJ's get harder. I WAGed Chamber of Commerce right off the bat, and then tried to think of anything to do with guilds or the bourgeoisie. It's pretty good clue writing - I can't think of how you could even make this response into a clue.

Jeopardy is getting there prize money expense back in promotion and exposure. Now ESPN is covering his run and posted the clickbait headline that he'd escaped tonight by a margin of $18. Must-see TV!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:19 am Somehow, the new Hunger Game contestants have some insight into the paradigm shift. Several have come out and taken over the bottom box hunting early in SJ and immediately hunting for DD's in DJ. This is not typical play out of the gate. These were Monday's victims - probably haven't seen James play yet. Did they process all that just from the 18 days and the huge money bucket?
It's been mentioned on multiple sites that Adam was a carry-over from the previous tape day's contestant group, so he would have seen all 5 of James's games that aired last week.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Absolutely demolishing the boards like he has been is one thing, but being able to fend off competition that strong is another thing entirely. I'm in the pro-James camp so I was legit engaged in a way that I probably haven't been since Ken's games. As a game show champion myself, I honestly feel better for having had to work at least a little for my own victory.

I own an Alienware and still didn't get the Dell clue.

0/5 in Movie Stores.

NHO "walkoff". Also thought "Spanish Morocco" was tough for the top box.

No idea how I knew Franconia = NH. Conversely, I thought Hearst = CA was a tough match for the top box, but I can shrug that off as just one of those odd "California bias" clues.

Business booster with an "of" in the name? I used to live just down the road from the local chamber of commerce, so I was easily familiar enough with the concept of a "chamber of commerce" for this to be an instaget.
yclept

Post by yclept »

One thing I was kind of impressed by was something subtle: When the game got close, James went to the top of the board so that Adam couldn’t go for the $3,600 that was still sitting there (forget what category it was) if time were to run out. As it goes, James got both clues right anyway. He proved to be a clutch performer late in the game when others may clam up.

What else helps James? Jasmine playing pretty well by going 9-for-9. When you have a third player picking up $7,800 without the aid of a DD, that makes it harder for Adam to get where he needs to be.

If you are doing well in a category even though it is unlikely to contain a DD, I have no issue sticking with it. After all, you need to accumulate money somewhere if you are going to make a DD solve meaningful.

While this game shows us that nobody is unstoppable and perhaps James is getting a *little* tired, the bottom line is that he gutted out a second victory in a row - and James “gutting” out victories equates to around $100,000 in two wins. We all only could hope to gut out wins like that.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:31 am Absolutely demolishing the boards like he has been is one thing, but being able to fend off competition that strong is another thing entirely. I'm in the pro-James camp so I was legit engaged in a way that I probably haven't been since Ken's games. As a game show champion myself, I honestly feel better for having had to work at least a little for my own victory.

I own an Alienware and still didn't get the Dell clue.

0/5 in Movie Stores.

NHO "walkoff". Also thought "Spanish Morocco" was tough for the top box.

No idea how I knew Franconia = NH. Conversely, I thought Hearst = CA was a tough match for the top box, but I can shrug that off as just one of those odd "California bias" clues.

Business booster with an "of" in the name? I used to live just down the road from the local chamber of commerce, so I was easily familiar enough with the concept of a "chamber of commerce" for this to be an instaget.
never saw the gremlins?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 pm Strategically it is probably best for Adam not to wager as much as he did. He would have had a long time regret if he had let James off the hook to win with 13,017 when it did not need to happen.
The recap has the generally recommended maximum wager for Adam and in a typical situation, I would agree. But against James, the proper wager is zero. There's no way James would not wager to cover, and he's been so good in FJs that the best hope Adam had was that it would be a really hard FJ that nobody would get. (I know the contestants didn't have the detailed information on James's FJ success rate and wagering, but seeing his total winnings should be enough to infer all of it.)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 pm For another from dreamland is all of the posts (not so much from this forum) declaring that on any other night Adam would have won at least 5-10 games. Adam was 1/1 on DDs and solved the FJ! clue with a 17,000 Coryat against James. Very nice though nothing spectacular that would in any way justify the leap on Adam's long-run success. I'd take the under since the 53,999 from finishing 2nd does not blind me just because it's an unprecedented runner-up number.
Yeah, I've seen those posts on reddit. The counterargument to your point is that Adam put up a $17K Coryat, which is better than some (many?) TOC'ers over the years have averaged, despite facing James who's devastating on the buzzer and averaging over $29.5K in Coryat. So imagine how well Adam might have fared against more mortal opponents against whom he could have gotten in on more clues. Still, it's true that every time a player has an impressive debut, some people declare that we're about to see an extended run; and that usually doesn't end up happening.
Adam's Coryat was higher than first-game Coryats of David Madden, Julia Collins, Austin Rogers, Seth Wilson and Arthur Chu, and just $200 less than Matt Jackson's. Very impressive, considering how hard it is to buzz in against James.

OTOH, debut scores are not very predictive. My first-game Coryat was higher than Ken Jennings's and... well, that's where the comparison ends.

My personal guess is that Adam is a player with great potential, but it would be a challenge for anyone to recover quickly from the excitement of epic giant-slaying.
ObrienP

Post by ObrienP »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 pm challengers did okay today...my only complaint with them today...why do you keep going to a tv category when daily doubles are out there? daily doubles are almost never in such categories
Is there any statistical data to back this up, or is it just one of those 'common knowledge' things? I'm not disputing it either way, I'm just interested.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

Did anyone notice James' margin of victory for game 18 was $18?
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Or that your number of posts is 18?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

skullturf wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 pm I got the Malamute question right
I wonder if Alex would have preceded selecting you to answer with, "You better get this one right, Skullturf!"
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

How long is the lag between tape date and air date? I am curious when we will start seeing contestants who have seen some of James' run on TV.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:34 pm
the body bores me
You're doing it wrong.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:00 am never saw the gremlins?
Actually, that was the only one I came close to getting. Afterward I was like "Oh duh, Mogwai, I knew that." (On one of the episodes of Wheel of Fortune that taped in the same session as mine, the answer to the Speed-Up puzzle was "Gizmo the Gremlin". Watching from the audience, I admit I was stumped even after the Z was put up.) NHO Mister Magorium or the Shop Around the Corner movie, and didn't know the plots of Bridesmaids or 40-year-old Virgin.