So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

Post by Bamaman »

Lampy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:10 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:42 pm
Lampy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 am Trump loves his family too.
Does he?
Seems like. Either way if you're giving a ton of credit for "doesn't apparently hate one's own children" I can't really see why.
He wants to date his daughter, so there’s that.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Is it fair to notice that the discussion in this thread has gone seriously downhill the last dozen posts? I think pretty highly of you folks, though I don't post much, and am surprised at the petty nature of the conversation atm.

I've learned that James has shown that it's possible to break down and maximize all the elements of a winning game. I applaud the effort and his successs.
Pending...
The Answer Is

Post by The Answer Is »

In the words of Barry Manilow.....you get what you get when you go for it.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:47 pm Is it fair to notice that the discussion in this thread has gone seriously downhill the last dozen posts? I think pretty highly of you folks, though I don't post much, and am surprised at the petty nature of the conversation atm.

I've learned that James has shown that it's possible to break down and maximize all the elements of a winning game. I applaud the effort and his successs.
Yes, that's an absolutely fair observation. I'm surprised the moderators didn't do anything when a poster above hijacked this thread into a personal attack on James that predictably caused the discussion to degenerate.

I too am happy to see James being rewarded for the hard work he put into building up his knowledge base, practicing his buzzing skills, and developing his strategy.

In the interest of un-hijacking the thread, here's a cool article in which some of James's long-time friends tell stories about him.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertain ... s-1650692/
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

Other than Jeopardy and the Chase, what other shows has James been on?
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

akrites wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:58 pm Other than Jeopardy and the Chase, what other shows has James been on?
Not sure if trolling or serious. In the event that it is the latter, he was a challenger on Season 1 of 500 Questions. He was unable to unseat the incumbent, who was the most successful contestant of the season.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Vintsanity wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:33 am
akrites wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:58 pm Other than Jeopardy and the Chase, what other shows has James been on?
Not sure if trolling or serious. In the event that it is the latter, he was a challenger on Season 1 of 500 Questions. He was unable to unseat the incumbent, who was the most successful contestant of the season.
I took it as a troll post and a dig at Lampy, so that's why I didn't reply.

I may not comment on everything but I see quite a lot, so I can get where Lampy is coming from in regards to James. but having said that I'm still a Jeopardy James fan myself and think he's a phenomenal contestant, as he was on the Chase.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

The Answer Is wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:50 pm In the words of Barry Manilow.....you get what you get when you go for it.
I wish you would credit those words to their author, Norman Gimbel, who also penned the hits:

Killing Me Softly with His Song
I Will Wait for You
It Goes Like It Goes (Oscar winner)
Canadian Sunset
Watch What Happens
I Got a Name
Happy Days
Making Our Dreams Come True
I Will Follow Him
Girl (Look What You've Done to Me)
Bluesette
How Insensitive
Different Worlds (Theme from Angie)
Meditation
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
The Answer Is

Post by The Answer Is »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:31 am
The Answer Is wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:50 pm In the words of Barry Manilow.....you get what you get when you go for it.
I wish you would credit those words to their author, Norman Gimbel
Fair enough. We learn every day.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

HOLY SHIT ... I HAVE GLORIOUSLY HILARIOUS NEWS FOR MY ALL OF YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE

JAMES HOLZHAUER has taught us that being good at Jeopardy! makes you a menace!

I thought the previous article I posted in this topic would be the nadir of the anti-James crybabies and their whiny "journalism"

... I was wrong.

'Jeopardy!' has stopped being fun because James Holzhauer is a menace

Moreover, whereas the previous article I posted was from the Buffalo News, this bad boy was originally printed in no less a newspaper than THE WASHINGTON POST!

YES, the newspaper that broke Watergate is now letting us know that a game show contestant who uses a winning strategy is a MENACE.

tl;dr so far, James Holzhauer has taught us that practicing something and the succeeding makes you a menace.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Ish
Contributor

Post by Ish »

James is going to be the epitome of excellence and dominance in the common language. People used to say some dominant, excellent person is the Barry Bonds or the Michael Jordan of their profession. Now people are going to say the extraordinary professional is the James Holzhauer of their field.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ish wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:50 am James is going to be the epitome of excellence and dominance in the common language. People used to say some dominant, excellent person is the Barry Bonds or the Michael Jordan of their profession. Now people are going to say the extraordinary professional is the James Holzhauer of their field.
probably not that simple of a surname for the masses to pick up on
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:42 am
Ish wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:50 am James is going to be the epitome of excellence and dominance in the common language. People used to say some dominant, excellent person is the Barry Bonds or the Michael Jordan of their profession. Now people are going to say the extraordinary professional is the James Holzhauer of their field.
the masses: "what's a surname?" :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Vintsanity wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:14 pm
Lampy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:23 pm Who exactly am I "bullying" and how?
Well, James for one. Not to mention BRD-98 upthread. Either James is an unapologetic asshole sociopathic bully, and you have taken it upon youself to warn the world, or he was a jerk to you four years ago, and you've made it your mission to totally destroy his reputation in retribution. It could be either one based on my extremely limited knowledge.
In Lampy's defense, how could he see it any other way? James accused him of cheating and he's stating that. The fact that perhaps otherwise James has seemed like a perfectly fine person isn't going to change that.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:39 am In Lampy's defense, how could he see it any other way? James accused him of cheating and he's stating that. The fact that perhaps otherwise James has seemed like a perfectly fine person isn't going to change that.
Well, he could see it as someone upset at losing on a game show and taking out his frustration by being a jerk to the guy that beat him. Perhaps that's enough to classify him an exploitative sociopath in Lampy's mind, but I'm not ready to jump to that conclusion.

Again, I am open to the possibility that James *is* a sociopath, in which I would encourage Lampy to make a website, something like SociopathJamesHolzhauer.com, where he can present the evidence and warn the world. I believe there is already a template he can go off of. That way Lampy could stop hijacking threads here.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Vintsanity wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:21 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:39 am In Lampy's defense, how could he see it any other way? James accused him of cheating and he's stating that. The fact that perhaps otherwise James has seemed like a perfectly fine person isn't going to change that.
Well, he could see it as someone upset at losing on a game show and taking out his frustration by being a jerk to the guy that beat him. Perhaps that's enough to classify him an exploitative sociopath in Lampy's mind, but I'm not ready to jump to that conclusion.

Again, I am open to the possibility that James *is* a sociopath, in which I would encourage Lampy to make a website, something like SociopathJamesHolzhauer.com, where he can present the evidence and warn the world. I believe there is already a template he can go off of. That way Lampy could stop hijacking threads here.

Really, dude? I've defended Holzhauer in the past on the basis that most of the Llamas that he had accused of cheating deserved it. But there is no question that he accused Lampy and Scott Blish with laughably weak evidence--when they had both already proven themselves in proctored environments. And as a guy who makes a living as a professional sports gambler you would really think that he would have a better eye for statistics than that. It was a jerk move for Holzhauer to do those things, and he deserves to be lambasted for it.

And I see no problem with Lampy's "thread hijacking." I feel that Holzhauer's past behavior is fair game for this thread, though if the mods disagree then they can always step in.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

If you'll go back, you can see I've never questioned the cheating accusations. I've questioned their direct link to sociopathy, but not the fact that the accusations were asshole moves in and of themselves. I think it is fair game to lambast him for the accusations, but that has already been done. What we have here amounts to piling on.

We now have several comments discussing Trump's relationship with his family. I think the usefulness of this thread has been pretty well destroyed. If the mods are okay with discussions of Holzhauer's past behavior, they should at least make it a separate dedicated thread.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:47 am
CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:42 am
the masses: "what's a surname?" :roll:
A lesser known knight.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vintsanity wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:27 pm I think the usefulness of this thread has been pretty well destroyed. If the mods are okay with discussions of Holzhauer's past behavior, they should at least make it a separate dedicated thread.
As a mod, I would prefer it to be confined to PM's or -- preferably -- some other off-board medium.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

econgator wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:34 pm
Vintsanity wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:27 pm I think the usefulness of this thread has been pretty well destroyed. If the mods are okay with discussions of Holzhauer's past behavior, they should at least make it a separate dedicated thread.
As a mod, I would prefer it to be confined to PM's or -- preferably -- some other off-board medium.
I actually think it is relevant, and I'd prefer it to be out in the open and not the subject of semi-private gossip. But I was made aware of the cheating accusations in the thread about the "next great champion" preview over a month ago. Since then I've seen a lot of caterwauling about it, but no new relevant information. Unless there is something new, nothing is gained from rehashing it.