Tuesday, April 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse »

I fairly confidently negged with Penzance in place of HFS Pinafore. :oops:
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:02 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:00 pm Tornado and severe weather pre-emption for most of the show here in the alley. The show cut back in with James at $45K and two shell shocked players beside him. We saw the category, but had to come back here for the clue because we weren't scared s**tless enough for the local affiliates.

I worked out that it would be the capital of West Germany, but I couldn't pull the city, and it is no head slap for me after the reveal. Munich was my WAG for the capital after ruling out Frankfort but thought both were too far south. Great clue, writers. This is crap we should know.
why would you have even considered the capital of kentucky for this clue?
It's 4185 miles from Paris and 4491 miles from Berlin. So, about halfway :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

FJ went right over my head, but even if they had said, "this former capital of West Germany", I still wouldn't have got it. Went with The Hague instead of "Congrats to James" (she's too kind!)

DD: 3/3!

There were quite a few clues today aimed right at my non-anatomical blindspot

mouthfeel? fruit bombs? nope!

gotta go, my cat is licking plastic again
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:11 pm FJ went right over my head, but even if they had said, "this former capital of West Germany", I still wouldn't have got it. Went with The Hague instead of "Congrats to James" (she's too kind!)

DD: 3/3!

There were quite a few clues today aimed right at my non-anatomical blindspot

mouthfeel? fruit bombs? nope!

gotta go, my cat is licking plastic again
pets imitate their owners...should never have done that in front of them..they might not have started such behaviour
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:11 pm mouthfeel?
Definitely a NHOI for me.
davey

Post by davey »

I'm not good with visualizing the map of Europe, but it wasn't necessary since "former capital" between Berlin and Paris dropped it into my lap....I couldn't have named another former capital anywhere around...My only worry was that it wasn't historic or important enough...i agree that the date was a complete red herring...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This is not how Jeopardy is supposed to work.

James was actually playing conservatively today on The Daily Doubles. There was no reason he couldn't have gone true Daily Double on both of them, because his opponents had practically nothing. If James had been wiped out on either Daily Double, he could have rebounded within seconds.

I immediately came up with Bonn and then tried to think if something else was relevant and decided the halfway point was more important than the 11 BC.

A shout out to the powers-that-be: if you ever switch from BC/AD to BCE/CE, I am shutting the TV off forever.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:03 pm A shout out to the powers-that-be: if you ever switch from BC/AD to BCE/CE, I am shutting the TV off forever.
We've switched this board, back on 2014 CE.
Ish
Contributor

Post by Ish »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:03 pm
A shout out to the powers-that-be: if you ever switch from BC/AD to BCE/CE, I am shutting the TV off forever.
I like the way you think, the extraneous letter on BC and the clunky communication of including the same letters and names in both time segments are worthy of derision.
If there were a need to change, B is meant as the minus sign. Like numbers, usually there is no AD following a positive year. So it would be 11 B, or -11 and 11 AD would just be 11, though most of the time no one bothers to modify the year 11 in that case.

But let's leave well enough alone on day names, month names, years. Calendar history and the names are interesting (one clue in this game about the origin of a month name, and another with a day name in French).
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

FJ translated to "What was the capital of West Germany?"
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Today was the last game of April, and I'm still not seeing that "next big champion" that promo was teasing... Did they mean for next month then?

But either way, this James guy is alright.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:03 pm I fairly confidently negged with Penzance in place of HFS Pinafore. :oops:
It's the one about duty.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

StevenH wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:00 pm This was another enjoyable board, though the "survival of the fittest" DD was a joke.

I could have told you that Bonn was Beethoven's birthplace and was the capital of West Germany, but I couldn't connect the dots on the clue. I honestly had no idea that it was that old a city.
I also had no clue as to when Bonn might have been founded, but that wasn't the key to the clue. The key was "former capital." There are several NEW capitals in Europe, since the breakup of Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, et al. Not so many "former" ones, which Bonn was before German reunification. This clue was kind of a toughie (I also knew little of it's geographic relationship relative to Berlin & Paris, etc.). But "former..." led me down the right path in time.

And you're right, "survival of the fittest" for a DD in the second round is just free money. And for someone like James, who makes it to the second round with more money than God, the only thing you can expect is another huge wager to put the game out of reach. This is a recording.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I agree the 11 BC bit probably wasn't much of a help, but the former capital of West Germany sure seemed like the most likely FJ answer, so that's what I went with.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I noticed that James got "samedi" after missing a bunch of other French clues in previous matches: "jeux = games" (TS), language of love (Adam got it), "Bon voyage" (TS). Safe to assume he took the time to memorize the days of the week (unless he found a book on voodoo in the children's library)

Would someone please explain how Mama Quilla points to Inca and not Aztec? I don't speak Quechua
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:12 am
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:03 pm I fairly confidently negged with Penzance in place of HFS Pinafore. :oops:
It's the one about duty.
They're all about duty! :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:05 am Would someone please explain how Mama Quilla points to Inca and not Aztec? I don't speak Quechua
The clue said "southern empire," I think.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:05 am I noticed that James got "samedi" after missing a bunch of other French clues in previous matches: "jeux = games" (TS), language of love (Adam got it), "Bon voyage" (TS). Safe to assume he took the time to memorize the days of the week (unless he found a book on voodoo in the children's library)

Would someone please explain how Mama Quilla points to Inca and not Aztec? I don't speak Quechua
Baron Samedi was a character in the Bond film Live and Let Die (and was an unlockable character in the GoldenEye N64 game). That's how I got it.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Superstore and Far Cry were my only misses today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Fruit Bombs, Cuba Libre, Bon Voyage
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:05 am I noticed that James got "samedi" after missing a bunch of other French clues in previous matches: "jeux = games" (TS), language of love (Adam got it), "Bon voyage" (TS). Safe to assume he took the time to memorize the days of the week (unless he found a book on voodoo in the children's library)
Bon voyage was in this game.