Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7983, 2019-05-01

James Holzhauer game 20.

CONTESTANTS
Imar Dacunha, a business systems analyst from Orlando, Florida
Kate Jay Zweifler, a Realtor and stay-at-home mom from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 19-day cash winnings total $1,426,330)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. You know, we've been so busy, so preoccupied with the great success enjoyed by James over the past few weeks on our show that we have neglected to mention a very special upcoming event, and that is the Teachers Tournament, which starts this coming week. All right. Kate and Imar, welcome aboard and good luck. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round. Let's take a look at the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I COULD LIVE IN THAT FOOD (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a food with a domicile in its name.)
VAMPIRE-POURRI (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GOING BLANK ON THE TITLE (5/5)
3 "I"s (4/5)
LAW (5/5)
ORDER (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 19 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Imar: 8 R, 0 W
Kate: 1 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. James had $4,600, Kate was scoreless, and Imar was at $3,000. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,600.

VAMPIRE-POURRI $1000: The producer of this 1922 German silent film was accused of ripping off Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $9,800
Imar: $4,600
Kate: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Imar Dacunha is from Orlando, Florida, and he's a fan of bad movies. Give me an example of some of the movies you love to watch over and over.

Imar: Oh, The Room is a classic. It was made by Tommy Wiseau, and they made another version of it that was nominated for a few Oscars. But my friend and I, we just really like these movies that are so bad that they're actually good. They're kind of like children's art projects.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Imar: You know.

Alex: And you watch them just the two of you, or do you get a group of people in and loudly critique?

Imar: We would get a group of people in--yeah, and we would encourage audience participation, and it was a lot of fun.

Alex: Like The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Imar: Yeah, kinda.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kate Jay Zweifler from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Your mom was on our show.

Kate: She was, in 1991.

Alex: Would she be happy to know that I remember her?

Kate: Yes. Yes.

Alex: Good.

Kate: She remembers you.

Alex: Oh, well. Okay. What has she said about her experience on our program?

Kate: She had a wonderful time, and she won a home entertainment system as a prize. And she wasn't gonna take it, and my dad said, "Kate's gonna watch the show and see it." So she did bring it home.

Alex: Okay, good for her. She listened to your dad.

Alex: James Holzhauer is our champion. We talked briefly about your daughter yesterday. She's only four years old, but she is a world traveler, right?

James: Yeah, she's been to 14 countries now, and, you know, I'm really hoping that she can see the distance between us and other cultures is not as great as we sometimes think it is. But right now, all she cares about is which country has the best playgrounds.

Alex: The best playgrounds.

James: In Russia, they got these ones--they don't have safety rules there, so you can do all the fun stuff with no nets to catch you.

Alex: And no cushioned base.

James: No, you gotta keep a watchful eye.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ORDER $600: An anteater is in the order Pilosa; this similar-looking animal is in the order Tubulidentata

3 "I"s $800: A government's formal approval of a treaty

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $13,800
Imar: $5,800
Kate: $600
Last edited by Archivists on Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
U.S. GEOGRAPHY (5/5)
21st CENTURY EUROPEAN LEADERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)
ONE "L" OF A DRUG (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE (3/5)
BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS (5/5) (Alex: Which are live on television tonight.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 23 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Kate: 3 R, 0 W
Imar: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. James had $20,600, Kate had $600, and Imar was at $5,800. James wagered $10,117.

21st CENTURY EUROPEAN LEADERS $1600: He was president of France after Chirac & before Hollande

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. James had $39,917, Kate had $3,000, and Imar was at $8,200. James wagered $11,381.

ONE "L" OF A DRUG $800: The carbonate form of this is used to treat bipolar disorders

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE $1600: It was the make & model of the General Lee, Bo & Luke's car on "The Dukes of Hazzard"

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE $400: In 1985 Philip Morris acquired this maker of Jell-O & Oscar Mayer meats for almost $6 billion

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $60,898 (lock game)
Imar: $8,200
Kate: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE KING JAMES BIBLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $44,497 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Imar: Wager $201 to cover Kate.
Kate: You have the hope of surpassing Imar for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $3,800 and $4,198.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 4 riders mentioned in Revelation 6, only this one is explicitly named

FINAL SCORES
Kate: $4,200 + $4,199 = $8,399 (Who is Death) (3rd place: $1,000)
Imar: $8,200 + $412 = $8,612 (Who is Death?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $60,898 + $40,784 = $101,682 (Who is Death?) (20-day champion: $1,528,012)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $38,200, 42 R (including 3 DDs), 0 W
Imar: $8,200, 10 R, 0 W
Kate: $4,200, 4 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $50,600

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 43/61 = .705
Imar: 11/58 = .190
Kate: 5/58 = .086
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS $1200: They rocked at the 2016 awards in celebration of their farewell tour & the 35th anniversary of their biggest hit

BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS $2000: In 2015, the 30th anniversary of "The Breakfast Club", this Scottish band took to the sage singing their biggest hit

21st CENTURY EUROPEAN LEADERS $2000: Vladimir Putin has been president of Russia since 2012, & this man has been prime minister also since then

21st CENTURY EUROPEAN LEADERS $1200: Alexis Tsipras has led this debt-saddled European country since 2015

21st CENTURY EUROPEAN LEADERS $400: A former flight attendant, Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir was prime minister of this island nation from 2009 to 2013

BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS $400: In 2011 he sang one of his classic hits after becoming the first recipient of the Billboard Icon Award

CORRECT RESPONSES
Nosferatu
an aardvark
ratification
(Nicolas) Sarkozy
lithium
a 1969 Dodge Charger
General Foods
Death
The Go-Go's
Simple Minds
(Dmitry) Medvedev
Greece
Iceland
Neil Diamond
Last edited by Archivists on Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

AG Barr is testifying and CBS is of course televising it, so the J! summary will be delayed.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE KING JAMES BIBLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 4 riders mentioned in Revelation 6, only this one is explicitly named

James Holzhauer: 60898+40784=101,682 (20x = $1,528,012)
Kate Jay Zweifler: 4200+4199=8399
Imar Dacunha: 8200+412=8612

Correct response:
Spoiler
Death

Daily Doubles
James: 4600+4600
James: 20600+10117
James: 39917+11381

Coryats
James: 38200
Kate: 4200
Imar: 8200

Combined: 50,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 13800
Kate: 600
Imar: 5800
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed May 01, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The airing out of Cleveland, MS showed a promo that included James saying, "Hey, Julia, I'm coming for you!"

James has her easily for money and is on the doorstep of going past her 20 wins. J! made sure I knew where things stood with the email sent out today. I'm glad I'm current on games as the subject header was: Will James Holzhauer beat Julia Collins’ 20-game record?

James needs to read some more kiddie animal books as the TS for one looking like an anteater is a staple. Arthur Chu would have known it. ;)

Ouch on Kate taking the opening skunk segment and only managing 4R. Her mom, Roz Jay: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=12260 also lost to a heavy hitter. Her picture is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=637&p=288173#p288173

James does not have the Archive memorized:

#6404, aired 2012-06-21 TV & MOVIE CARS $400: Bo & Luke Duke hot-rodded around Hazzard County in the souped-up Dodge Charger called this
#4990, aired 2006-04-28 1980s TV $600: We salute you if you know the Dukes of Hazzard raced about in a souped-up Dodge Charger called this
#3857, aired 2001-05-15 "GENERAL" ASSEMBLY $1000: It was the nickname of Bo & Luke's fast-moving 1969 Dodge Charger on "The Dukes of Hazzard"
#3509, aired 1999-12-02 CAR & DRIVER $200: On '80s TV: The General Lee, a souped-up Dodge Charger

We'll find out later how Lucario does it that clue.

The FJ! category was funny with "King James" currently on the throne. The clue was very welcome to get me off that schneid for this week.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed May 01, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

I'm fairly new to the board, how are you guys getting the show early? I'm in TN and the show doesn't air here until 3:30pm CDT.
The Answer Is

Post by The Answer Is »

mgiusto wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:35 am I'm fairly new to the board, how are you guys getting the show early? I'm in TN and the show doesn't air here until 3:30pm CDT.
There's a station in Alabama, I believe, that carries the show at 9:30 Central time. It's a CBS affiliate and the network was running special events coverage this morning that bumped today's session of Jeopardy!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

mgiusto wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:35 am I'm fairly new to the board, how are you guys getting the show early? I'm in TN and the show doesn't air here until 3:30pm CDT.
https://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/j-airing.html
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:49 pm
https://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/j-airing.html
This thread gets into some of the nuts & bolts of early watching also: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5113
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Spoiler
Said "the Angel of Death". Judges? (Or Lamentations?)
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

With this win, James brings his per-game average above $76,000. --Bob
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 am James needs to read some more kiddie animal books as the TS for one looking like an anteater is a staple. Arthur Chu would have known it. ;)
Spoiler

Go, GenX!
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

One of my favorite movies helped me solve FJ:
Spoiler
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Spoiler
Said "the Angel of Death". Judges? (Or Lamentations?)
Hmmm... nope. I don't think they'd give that to you.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

How is aardvark a triple stumper? Especially when spotted anteater? That's one bit of trash I picked up off James. Ratification was another. I might also have gotten Dodge Charger. In a regular game I'd have clammed because I have trouble keeping the Charger and the Challenger straight. But against James I think I'd have felt the need to be aggressive and hope for the best. I should've picked up General Foods as well but I forgot the category.

Congrats to James on tying Julia. Are we keeping a list somewhere of records he now holds and which ones he has yet to break? Three that I can think of are:

1. Breaking Julia's streak to have second-longest run. That likely happens tomorrow.
2. Breaking Brad Rutter's money total (what's the projected game # for this at the current rate?)
3. Breaking Ken's streak.

I suppose we could throw in breaking Ken's record for most money won in regular games. We're more than halfway there at the current rate. Any other major records yet to be broken?

Assuming he's still around for Season 36, I think they need to film a spoof opening in which James' new opponents are announced as Brett Ritter and Ben Jannings, with our two favorite big winners showing up in wigs and fake beards.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

For comparison Julia Collins won $428,100 in her 20 game streak. James beat that total in his 8th game. This is not a knock on Julia, just shows what a powerhouse James has been.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Somehow I knew that the "bad movie" discussion was going to bring up The Room. Oh hai, Mark.

"Dutch cheese" could be anything and NHO "Kozy Shack". Was that category upside-down by mistake?

Ran the "Order" category, but was 0/5 in "Law".

Also 0/5 in European Leaders. Any reason I should know some random Z-string politician from Iceland with no TOM whatsoever?

"General Foods" was way too general of a name for me to get either. Not surprised with the top-box TS there.

NHO Simple Minds (recognized the song, but never matched it to an artist). Also didn't know the Prince song titles given, and saw no way to figure that one out at all.

Easy FJ! is easy. When even I start insta-getting, then it might be a sign of easy FJ!s.

I, too, got Lach Trash on "aardvark" and was surprised at the TS there.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 pm Any reason I should know some random Z-string politician from Iceland with no TOM whatsoever?
It's the custom in Iceland for females to take on their fathers' first name +"dottir" as their surname. That was the giveaway.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:10 pm How is aardvark a triple stumper? Especially when spotted anteater? That's one bit of trash I picked up off James. Ratification was another. I might also have gotten Dodge Charger. In a regular game I'd have clammed because I have trouble keeping the Charger and the Challenger straight. But against James I think I'd have felt the need to be aggressive and hope for the best. I should've picked up General Foods as well but I forgot the category.

Congrats to James on tying Julia. Are we keeping a list somewhere of records he now holds and which ones he has yet to break? Three that I can think of are:

1. Breaking Julia's streak to have second-longest run. That likely happens tomorrow.
2. Breaking Brad Rutter's money total (what's the projected game # for this at the current rate?)
3. Breaking Ken's streak.

I suppose we could throw in breaking Ken's record for most money won in regular games. We're more than halfway there at the current rate. Any other major records yet to be broken?

Assuming he's still around for Season 36, I think they need to film a spoof opening in which James' new opponents are announced as Brett Ritter and Ben Jannings, with our two favorite big winners showing up in wigs and fake beards.
Andy's Thoughts cover a lot of statistical tidbits each day: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/05/fina ... -2019.html (scroll down a bit to find it in each day's post.)

For money in general terms James has about $76,000 a day. It would take about 65 games at that pace to get to $5,000,000. Brad cannot be sweating yet. For Ken and games 74-20=54, so still a ways to go.

That Internet might break if J! pulled off your hilarious stunt with Ken & Brad in disguise. 4/1/20 is too long to wait, so the powers need to get on it if James does happen to still be in the champs's spot for next season. The season premiere would not be the right place because the studio will rock when Alex walks out to host and that is where the spotlight would deservedly go.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

squarekara wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 pm Any reason I should know some random Z-string politician from Iceland with no TOM whatsoever?
It's the custom in Iceland for females to take on their fathers' first name +"dottir" as their surname. That was the giveaway.
And I doubt either of those have ever come up on J! before. Or are known by anyone who isn't Icelandic.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I loved that there was a clue on Simple Minds! I enjoyed that category in general.

The Bible is usually a big weak spot for me but I guessed correctly on FJ.